Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 119 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
http://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/ ... r-top.html

Good post by the MtB guys for those of you looking to R3 or applying next year.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 119 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
Ant2185 wrote:
langaroo wrote:
I am still a year out from applying to schools but have a question about the GI Bill. I did ROTC but did not take a scholarship, does anyone know if my 3 year active duty obligation will count towards meeting the GI Bill service requirements since I did not receive any financial help during school. Thanks!

Your initial obligation doesn't count. Even though you didn't take the scholarship money you still had an initial obligation so it doesn't count. Instead of having to wait 4 years like a scholarship cadet, your clock starts running on GI Benefits after your 3rd year. Its is clearly written in the GI Bill Policy.

Are you sure about that? Guys/girls who go through OCS/OTS have a 4 year service obligation, but their GI Bill clock starts right away.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 17:07
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the word that I'm in at Haas. Super stoked. Any other vets headed that way?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
CobraKai wrote:
Random question: Anyone know what happens to your residency status once you separate from the military? For instance, I've claimed FL residency my entire career, if I go to Johnson, am I going to be a NYS resident when I move up there? Reason I ask is because I've got some investments I plan on liquidating prior to B-school, and I'd much rather do it as a FL resident to avoid state capital gains taxes.

When you leave the military, you will be a resident of FL. You can maintain your FL residency as long as you are going to school on the grounds that you "plan on returning to FL" after graduation and therefor do not wish to be a permanent resident in the state of NY. Any point in your schooling you can change your mind and become a NY resident if you wish.

Here is the information from the NY DMV (sources sources sources!):

Definition of a Resident. If you become a resident of NYS, you must exchange your driver license and vehicle registration from another state for a NYS driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days.

Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NYS.

A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of NYS. For example, if you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" residence. The DMV will not decide if you are a resident of NYS, if you must get a NYS driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in NYS.

According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in NYS are normally not considered residents of NYS.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/resident.htm
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 17:04
Congrats on the HBS admit and thanks for your offer to help out!

jwillivt wrote:
I applied to HBS, Wharton, Tuck and Darden Round 1 last year. I'm a state school OCS guy and I'm not a special forces/seal type. Dream came true - got into HBS. I'll be happy to help out - PM me. I had a lot of help including a consultant that just launched a new startup. They are pretty military friendly and are offering some pretty good discounts.

Best of luck to you all!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 07:36
swbluedevil wrote:
Zarthul - congrats on the Wharton admit! Did you end up using a consultant?

Does my girlfriend count?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 06:23
hello everyone. i'm also intending to apply this fall.

3.3ugpa @ ivy
4.0 through a handful of grad-level credits
325/340 on new GRE
--(GRE website says this equals about 710 GMAT..?)
7.5yrs WE at matriculation
--(after college, enlisted with SF contract; entire career in Army SOF; 4+yrs as SF Operator)

shooting for mit, yale, duke and dartmouth. will likely cast a line at hbs and stanford, just in case.

anyone know anything about requesting fee waivers from some of these "military-friendly" schools?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 07:50
Duke waives the fee for active duty military veterans. H/S won't, and neither will most other top schools. There's a few others that do a bit further down the rankings - Georgetown is one and I'm sure there are others.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 15:52
I'll be a 2013 reapplicant. I'm retaking the GMAT in June to try and improve on my 700 (44Q/41V) from last year. Air Force O-2(will be O-3 at application time), 3.03 GPA in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech. I'll definitely be using a consultant to help me out this year. I didn't use one this past year. My target schools will depend a lot on my GMAT performance in June.
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 21:53
What's your AFSC? I'm a 62E.

mappleby wrote:
I'll be a 2013 reapplicant. I'm retaking the GMAT in June to try and improve on my 700 (44Q/41V) from last year. Air Force O-2(will be O-3 at application time), 3.03 GPA in Mechanical Engineering from Georgia Tech. I'll definitely be using a consultant to help me out this year. I didn't use one this past year. My target schools will depend a lot on my GMAT performance in June.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 16:33
swbluedevil wrote:
Thanks- for the fee waiver at Wharton, did you have to e-mail the admissions office or was there an option within the application to indicate that you are military?

jwillivt wrote:
As far as the fee waivers - I only had to pay at HBS. Fee waived at Wharton, Tuck, and Darden. I know for a fact that MIT waives as well.

I sent in an email. I think I had to provide an LES or orders...
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 21:47
Awesome- very helpful. Thanks!

jwillivt wrote:
swbluedevil wrote:
Thanks- for the fee waiver at Wharton, did you have to e-mail the admissions office or was there an option within the application to indicate that you are military?

jwillivt wrote:
As far as the fee waivers - I only had to pay at HBS. Fee waived at Wharton, Tuck, and Darden. I know for a fact that MIT waives as well.

I sent in an email. I think I had to provide an LES or orders...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q42 V49
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 22:20
Hey all, this is my first time posting here but I've lurked for a while. I finally decided to give it a shot by throwing my hat into the MBA ring. Many of you have suggested contacting veterans clubs at the schools to which I plan on applying -- does anyone have any specific advice for doing so that might not be overly obvious, i.e. any important questions that might not necessarily jump out at me to ask?

I'm guessing I should wait until the summer's over (since most are busy with internships), but is there an ideal time to bother someone? Are there any particular questions you suggest I ask?

Thanks for any replies, and good luck to those of you waiting for R3 and WL decisions.
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 18:23
I don't think it would hurt to contact students now.

Personally, I've always been interested in how active the vets club of each school is, how vets do in the recruiting process, how well vets integrate with the rest of the campus.

Also, some veterans clubs (like HBS for example) are very open to prospective military students e-mailing them for admissions advice.

hollaback wrote:
Hey all, this is my first time posting here but I've lurked for a while. I finally decided to give it a shot by throwing my hat into the MBA ring. Many of you have suggested contacting veterans clubs at the schools to which I plan on applying -- does anyone have any specific advice for doing so that might not be overly obvious, i.e. any important questions that might not necessarily jump out at me to ask?

I'm guessing I should wait until the summer's over (since most are busy with internships), but is there an ideal time to bother someone? Are there any particular questions you suggest I ask?

Thanks for any replies, and good luck to those of you waiting for R3 and WL decisions.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 19:20
hollaback wrote:

Contact away--I've been fielding questions from prospective students pretty much nonstop since I got to campus in August. If you're planning on applying this fall you'll want to get started with your stuff now. Waiting til summer internships are over will put you behind the power curve in terms of visiting schools and working on essays and everything else that goes along with applications.

If a particular school's vets club isn't responsive or willing to help you out I would take that to be a pretty big red flag about their culture and how they operate. Helping vets learn about the school (and be competitive for admssion) is one of the main things vets clubs are supposed to do, particularly the admissions reps within the clubs. I've seriously lost count of how many applicants I've talked to or brought to class this year, but it hasn't been a hassle at all. Just check out their websites and fire off a few emails to the contacts listed on there.

Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 17:37
What do you all think about Harvard's essay questions for this year?

Tell us about something you did well. (400 words)
Tell us about something you wish you had done better. (400 words)

Might make it a little more difficult for nontraditional applicants to tell their story to adcoms... thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 13:03
Any military thinking of applying to LBS this fall?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 13:35
swbluedevil wrote:
What do you all think about Harvard's essay questions for this year?

Tell us about something you did well. (400 words)
Tell us about something you wish you had done better. (400 words)

Might make it a little more difficult for nontraditional applicants to tell their story to adcoms... thoughts?

It'll be hard for traditional applicants to tell their story too...maybe even harder, since the experiences of Consultant X from McKinsey are probably almost identical to Consultant Y from Bain. They'll have a hard time differentiating themselves without those extra essays.

Keep in mind military isn't the only source of nontraditional applicants...just in my section alone I had teachers, nonprofit/NGO workers, software engineers, lawyers, and a cheese salesman, among others.

What this change will do is increase the importance of your resume and recommendations as a way of describing your performance and goals relative to your peers. And who knows, maybe they'll decide to start interviews earlier and interview more applicants since adcom won't be spending as much time reading essays. Maybe this is a method of putting more weight on the interview.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 19:41
I believe it is since another essay is a follow up interview essay due within 24 hours of the interview.

I'm throwing my hat in also, what I've noticed is the lack of enlisted members who are both current students and applying.

5.5 years active, 7 months reserve, USAF. 3.37 from top public. Gmat in August, east coast visits in September. Targeting HBS, CBS, Tuck, and Kellog for R1

2 Questions for current students/alums: 1. Does anyone have any resume books I can reference my resume to? I'm having trouble translating military jargon to civilian terms, and to make them sound interesting and important 2. For the HBS app on the employment section, am I listing the military branch as the one organization and list titles/positions I've held or use the multiple slots to list all of the different positions?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: McCombs '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.71
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 15:58
lonesoui wrote:
I believe it is since another essay is a follow up interview essay due within 24 hours of the interview.

2 Questions for current students/alums: 1. Does anyone have any resume books I can reference my resume to? I'm having trouble translating military jargon to civilian terms, and to make them sound interesting and important 2. For the HBS app on the employment section, am I listing the military branch as the one organization and list titles/positions I've held or use the multiple slots to list all of the different positions?

I bought the resume book from www.militarytobusiness.com. It has actual resumes from military guys that transitioned to business.
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants!   [#permalink] 30 May 2012, 15:58