Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 07:21
Hello everyone! I'm also applying this year for several of the MBA programs. My background is a little less "conventional military" and I have been out since 2004. I spent 6 years in the U.S. Navy as an enlisted Nuclear Electrician's Mate aboard fast attack submarines. After that, I was supposed to start college in Michigan (grew up near Detroit) but my daughter was diagnosed with cancer so my school plans were put on hold. Fortunately, she has been in remission for a few years now and I was able to finish my degree at Post University in Waterbury, CT this May.

During that time, I spent a little over 5 years working for a fuel cell company in Connecticut and quickly moved up to a shift supervisor position in the testing and conditioning department. After that I started working for ASCO division of Emerson Network Power as a Senior Engineering Service Representative. I basically take care of the Connecticut area and help with MA, VT, NH, RI, NY and ME when needed.

GPA: 4.0 in B.S. Computer Information Systems
GMAT: Taking it tomorrow (7/13/12 Yes, Friday the 13th)
Target School: MIT LGO
Other applications: Harvard round 2, Yale Round 2, UCONN Round 3
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 16:40
Hey fellas, on Monday, 3 September 2012, we are hosting a Veterans Open House to introduce active military and veteran applicants to the Darden School of Business and its three MBA formats: full-time MBA, MBA for Executives and the Global MBA for Executives.

The day will include:
• Welcome from Admissions representatives
• Distinguished veteran alumnus guest speaker
• Career Development panel
• Financial Aid information session with the UVA Veterans’ Affairs coordinator
• Class visit
• Lunch with Darden Military Association (DMA) members
• Tour of the Grounds
• Student life panel
• Pre-Open House gathering (drinking, war stories, etc.) on Sunday, 2 September with members of the DMA

To register for this event, please visit the Darden Admissions homepage and look for the blog entry dated 24 July. I would have simply cut and pasted the link, but GMATClub won’t let me until I have five posts.

Darden: The MBA that Thomas Jefferson wanted you to have.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 09:47
hi,
Anybody has purchased the militarytobusiness.com's guidebook?? can anybody supply a review. I think this book should be useful to all of us if its good. there are soo many guidebooks in the market, should a veteran buy this??
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 15:27
arunpanda22 wrote:
hi,
Anybody has purchased the militarytobusiness.com's guidebook?? can anybody supply a review. I think this book should be useful to all of us if its good. there are soo many guidebooks in the market, should a veteran buy this??

I have not purchased any other guidebooks so I cannot compare it side-by-side to anything however I do find it very useful. I signed up for a full school package with MtB and received the guide as part of the package. I'm waiting until I've submitted my applications to provide a full review on the service but I can provide a short review for the guidebook.

First, at 106 pages it is quite long and full of information. I will be honest that I haven't read it cover to cover but I also don't believe that is really necessary. It contains a section for essays and a section with resumes. The essay portion takes up the largest part of the book and is well organized. It is broken up into sections detailing the "type" of essay question so you can quickly reference examples of the particular type of essay you are working on in your application. It also contains a follow-up to each essay explaining why they chose it, strengths and weaknesses and what could be improved.

I have found it eye-opening and can definitely see some areas for improvement in my essay writing. I would definitely recommend it to other military, especially those still on active duty who might struggle figuring out how to word their essays in business school language.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 05:47
Hi! I'm a captain in the Army with four years in service, planning to apply for the fall of 2013. My question for everyone is about extracurricular activities. Am I the only one who has had no substantial community service or extracurricular activities outside of the Army? I was in a fraternity in college, and we did stuff for the community through our organization, but that's about all I've got. I haven't ran any marathons for a cause, or tutored any low income kids, or anything that I see a lot of people listing on this web site. Are people making this stuff up? I don't know anyone in the Army who does community service outside of their normal duties and obligations as Soldiers.

Just curious on what everyone's take is on this. I'm concerned that my extracurricular activities are non-existent, wondering if I need to address that in my applications.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 11:06
I didn't have anything exceptional outside the military so I wouldn't worry about it too much or go out of your way to address it in the application. I know this is anecdotal evidence, but of the ~45ish vets in my HBS class I only know of one or two who had substantial community involvement during their active duty time. I think adcoms understand that our time is pretty occupied either deploying or preparing to deploy.

nm4787 wrote:
Hi! I'm a captain in the Army with four years in service, planning to apply for the fall of 2013. My question for everyone is about extracurricular activities. Am I the only one who has had no substantial community service or extracurricular activities outside of the Army? I was in a fraternity in college, and we did stuff for the community through our organization, but that's about all I've got. I haven't ran any marathons for a cause, or tutored any low income kids, or anything that I see a lot of people listing on this web site. Are people making this stuff up? I don't know anyone in the Army who does community service outside of their normal duties and obligations as Soldiers.

Just curious on what everyone's take is on this. I'm concerned that my extracurricular activities are non-existent, wondering if I need to address that in my applications.

Thanks.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 13:46
As a heads up for any of you considering applying to HBS this year, we'll be hosting our third annual Military Prospective Students Day on Friday, September 28. We normally do the event in the spring, but admissions decided to move it to the fall this year so we'd be able to reach R2 and R3 applicants before their application deadline.

Here's a blog post concerning the event: http://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/ ... s-day.html

BLUF is that it's a great way to visit HBS, meet vets and admissions department reps, sit in on a few classes, and hear guest speakers and student panels talk about applying and the HBS experience from a veteran's perspective.

Registration isn't open yet but will be through the HBS admissions page, and if you've previously filled in their form capture and checked "military" as an interest you should be receiving an email notification about it soon. I'll post a link back on here once registration is live.

Current Student
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 09:49
nm4787 wrote:

Thanks.

I had virtually zero extracurriculars for the duration of my time on active duty, as others above me did as well. Don't sweat it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 12:21
GeneralDarden wrote:
Hey fellas, on Monday, 3 September 2012, we are hosting a Veterans Open House to introduce active military and veteran applicants to the Darden School of Business and its three MBA formats: full-time MBA, MBA for Executives and the Global MBA for Executives.

The day will include:
• Class visit
• Tour of the Grounds
• Student life panel
• Pre-Open House gathering (drinking, war stories, etc.) on Sunday, 2 September with members of the DMA

To register for this event, please visit the Darden Admissions homepage and look for the blog entry dated 24 July. I would have simply cut and pasted the link, but GMATClub won’t let me until I have five posts.

This event is on Labor day? I might make it down if it is
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 03:30
lonesoui wrote:
GeneralDarden wrote:

The day will include:
• Class visit
• Tour of the Grounds
• Student life panel

This event is on Labor day? I might make it down if it is

Yes, the event's on Labor Day. Though I wasn't part of the group that planned it, the idea may have been that those who are CONUS would likely have a three or four day weekend, thereby mitigating the need to burn through some Leave in order to attend.

I hope you can make it down to Charlottesville.

Darden: The MBA that Thomas Jefferson wanted you to have.

Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 09:35
HBS Military Prospective Students Day registration is now open here: http://hbs.askadmissions.net/Portal/EI/ ... 0a1acaa9de

Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 16:59
Two questions about awards and decorations in your applications. Do folks mention automatic decorations like National Service Defense Medal or GWOT Service Medal? I didn't bother to include them since everybody is awarded them but I started thinking today if I was short changing myself by not mentioning them somewhere. They still are "earned" medals for serving.

Second question, on a similar vein what about group/team awards. I've gotten ribbons for Outstanding Unit and Organizational Excellence. Should these at least go on my resume in the time-period our unit was awarded them? It's not quite as big as an individual achievement decoration but still a decoration. Right now I don't have them in my application or resume anywhere.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 21:09
I didn't include anything other than personal awards in my application or resume.

Intern
Intern
WE 1: Tank PL (7 Months) Deployed OEF 09-10
WE 2: Battalion AS3 1.5 yrs
WE 3: Tank Company Commander (Currently)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 14:54
Is the HBS Military Prospective Student Day scheduled for this September the only one this year? I went to the first one a year ago and I recall it was scheduled for late February/March I believe. I am currently stationed in Korea so I was planning to take my leave during that time to attend again.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 21:36
Ant2185 wrote:
Is the HBS Military Prospective Student Day scheduled for this September the only one this year? I went to the first one a year ago and I recall it was scheduled for late February/March I believe. I am currently stationed in Korea so I was planning to take my leave during that time to attend again.

Yep, as of now we're only planning on hosting the one in September.

If you've already come to one my opinion is that it would be a waste of time and money to come again....you're not going to see anything substantially different, and it's not going to have an increased impact on adcom or anything.

Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 17:38
Maybe this is simplistic but couldn't you just list it an an achievement? Something to the effect of "Selected as division representative for Corp level competition, #1 of 30 officers" to piggy-back off of your example. Might not work in every school but sometimes I think you just have to be a little more creative as a military applicant. Even if you did get a certificate you still have to be creative. Let's say you got a nice award you can't just put in the Awards section "Division Shooting Competition Winner" or "Corp level shooting competitor." I'm in the military but being Air Force I have a vague idea of the competition at a Division level event but I couldn't tell you the numbers you would have been competing against. So if a fellow military member doesn't know you can be almost certain that an Ad Comm member won't know either. So make sure however you do manage to work it into the application that you are very clear exactly what your accomplishment means and the scope of the achievement.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 17:59
mappleby wrote:
Maybe this is simplistic but couldn't you just list it an an achievement? Something to the effect of "Selected as division representative for Corp level competition, #1 of 30 officers" to piggy-back off of your example. Might not work in every school but sometimes I think you just have to be a little more creative as a military applicant. Even if you did get a certificate you still have to be creative. Let's say you got a nice award you can't just put in the Awards section "Division Shooting Competition Winner" or "Corp level shooting competitor." I'm in the military but being Air Force I have a vague idea of the competition at a Division level event but I couldn't tell you the numbers you would have been competing against. So if a fellow military member doesn't know you can be almost certain that an Ad Comm member won't know either. So make sure however you do manage to work it into the application that you are very clear exactly what your accomplishment means and the scope of the achievement.

hi,
You are quite right about your take on accomplishment. However the whole discussion was about the awards part of the application form.

Let me draw another example. You are from Air Force. say 1 year into being a pilot your boss thought you were a really exceptional pilot with skills that promise to make you best pilot in the world. What would he do?? he would endorse it in your confidential report and recommend you for some great course to give u opportunity to improve your skills.

parallel to that take a guy in say IT industry or consulting. his boss thought he is a promising guy. the boss gets him a shooting start award or some other award made named like that.

Fast forward 5 years both of you apply to same B-school and under awards section for that period of time he notes shooting star award (which actually has no meaning since everybody has been getting it) and you list that your CO thought you are going to be a great pilot in achievements section which I am sure will be overflowing with 5-6 years of active service. So the basic thing is what do u enter in awards section of the application form apart from service medals which are quite few and far between.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 06:14
Most if not all of my applications had a "key accomplishments" section under each period of employment, then had an "awards and recognitions" spot following the education/experience portion.

I don't think I'd put an intramural or marksmanship achievement on my resume--I think that space could be used much better--but it would be appropriate for one of those two sections I listed above.

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 06:41
emont wrote:
Most if not all of my applications had a "key accomplishments" section under each period of employment, then had an "awards and recognitions" spot following the education/experience portion.

I don't think I'd put an intramural or marksmanship achievement on my resume--I think that space could be used much better--but it would be appropriate for one of those two sections I listed above.

Hi emont,

After reading through the forum, I think I should commend the kind of support you are providing to this forum given the busy schedule of HBS.

I see that you are a USMC infantry officer who got selected to the most prestigious school-HBS. If you could give us tips about what all you entered under awards and recognition column it would prove as a good baseline to start for all the brother officers from similar background.

About the sniper example I was just trying to draw parallel between corporate world and military world and the no. of awards and recognition that are distributed. I don't think any officer would have space in a one page resume to include such items as marksmanship competitions. Atleast I couldn't fit it in.
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 16:06
Not going to give specifics, and here's why:

1. There's no single way to get into HBS or any other school, and I don't want to give anyone the impression that I have some special blueprint for getting admitted. Besides, for all I know I got into HBS in spite of my professional accomplishments and not because of them.

2. Everyone's accomplishments are going to be different, even if you have two people with relatively similar backgrounds and MOSs and duty stations and whatnot. So the things I listed will have little or no bearing on what you all will list.

3. It's personal information, and I don't feel like sharing it over the interwebs.

Your accomplishments are whatever you think makes your service unique or distinguished you relative to your peers, and they may be qualitative or quantitative. They're the same kind of bullet points you'd see on your fitness reports or on any award citations you've received.

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants!   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2012, 16:06