Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 13:23
For any military applicants considering Johnson, highly recommend checking this out.

Quote:
Cornell Johnson Military Preview Day

November 14, 2013

Registration: https://www2.johnson.cornell.edu/forms/military_preview.cfm

Johnson Veterans Association: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/About/Veterans-at-Johnson/Association-of-Veterans.aspx

Join us for an exciting and thought-provoking keynote with special guest speaker, General George W. Casey, Jr., retired four-star general and chief of staff of the U.S. Army from 2007-2011. Drawing from his extraordinary experiences, General Casey will cover the topics of organizational leadership, innovation, cultural change and more – offering battle-tested lessons that are transferable to effective leadership in business.

Along with General Casey’s keynote, prospective students (especially veterans) are invited to meet with Dean Soumitra Dutta, Johnson MBA candidates and veterans, Army ROTC cadets and leadership, Johnson Leadership Fellows, and other members representing our strong military community here at Johnson. Breakfast and lunch provided.

Preview Day Agenda
8:00-8:30am: Breakfast with current students
8:40-10:00am: Class with current students
10:15-11:00am: Panel with current students
11:00am-12:00pm: Campus tour with current students
12:00-1:30pm: Lunch with current students and General Casey
1:30-2:15pm: Guest speaker
2:15-3:30pm: Guest speaker
3:30-4:15pm: Admissions panel
4:30pm: General Casey addressing Cornell University
5:15pm: Sage Social

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 22:49
Hello everyone. I am a Fall 2014 applicant looking to pursue an MBA in Finance. I graduated from Purdue University with a less than stellar GPA of 3.1 in Engineering. I am currently serving active duty in the United States Army as an enlisted soldier and will be getting out later this year after serving 4 years. I took my GRE a few months ago and got a 95 percentile in quant and a 61 percentile in verbal. I am applying to Columbia, Wharton, Duke, Dartmouth and Notre Dame. My question is that am I aiming too high. Should i apply to some tier 2 schools considering my low gpa and me not being an officer. I dont think this matters but I also know 2 different languages and I was used as a translator in Afghanistan when I deployed. Thank You to everyone.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 08:45
setrock wrote:
Hello everyone. I am a Fall 2014 applicant looking to pursue an MBA in Finance. I graduated from Purdue University with a less than stellar GPA of 3.1 in Engineering. I am currently serving active duty in the United States Army as an enlisted soldier and will be getting out later this year after serving 4 years. I took my GRE a few months ago and got a 95 percentile in quant and a 61 percentile in verbal. I am applying to Columbia, Wharton, Duke, Dartmouth and Notre Dame. My question is that am I aiming too high. Should i apply to some tier 2 schools considering my low gpa and me not being an officer. I dont think this matters but I also know 2 different languages and I was used as a translator in Afghanistan when I deployed. Thank You to everyone.

I wouldn't worry about the officer vs. enlisted part...yeah, you'll see more former officers than former enlisted at business school, but that discrepancy has much more to do with the number who apply rather than any bias against enlisted personnel.

As for the "would I be competitive" question--your GPA is a little lower than the median for top 10 schools, but a low-ish GPA in engineering is still better than a low-ish GPA in comparative literature. You can also offset a lower GPA with a good GMAT, work experiences, and career goals.

I'm not too familiar with how GRE translates to GMAT but your quant score is very impressive, especially for someone coming from the military. I also don't think every MBA program accepts the GRE--some do, some don't, while everyone accepts the GMAT. I would recommend addressing the verbal issue to get it up to ~80% and working on GMAT prep for a few months, then applying to 4-5 schools in R2 in early January.

This blog post covers some of the factors to consider when picking target schools: http://blog.militarytobusiness.com/2013 ... itary.html Short answer is that there's nothing wrong with applying to a few top 5 schools as dream schools, but you want to make sure you've got your bases covered by also applying to a few in the top 15 or top 25 range. Duke and ND would fit the bill at not-quite-top-10 schools which are still solid programs.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 08:58
For those interested in Columbia we will be hosting our Veterans Matter event on Friday, 8 November. It should be a good program and hopefully I'll see a few of you there. CBS has a really strong veterans community so if you are just considering the school I suggest you reach out even if you can't make it to the event.

https://apply.gsb.columbia.edu/register ... Matter2013
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.36

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 08:33
Hey guys.

I was in on the last thread but eventually pulled back on going to school and decided to put it off for a few years. I decided that I wanted to pursue an opportunity presented to me.

Does anyone have any experience with part time MBA admissions? I am specifically targeting UCLA's Flex since I live in San Diego now. I was hired by the federal government in a budget analyst position three months after leaving the military and want to get a MBA in my off time. I have no desire to change careers now or leave the government. I like the budgeting aspect and the pay is competitive.

How do MBA programs view GS workers? Does anyone have advice for people seeking a MBA in their off time? From the research I've done, the programs seem suited to those looking to stay with their current job. It also seems like the stats are a bit lower and it's not as competitive as the full time programs. Any truth to that?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 12:13
Stopping in...first post. This forum has provided a wealth of knowledge to get me through these last few months!

Applying to 3 schools R1 and then going from there. Currently active duty Air Force.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 2.47
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 11

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2013, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
setrock wrote:

I wouldn't say you are aiming too high. It is all about showing who you are and how you can make the school better. I am an Academy grad who went through a ton of crap while there and graduated with a 2.47 gpa. I served as both officer and enlisted time in the Navy. I worked hard when I got out and was one of the youngest supervisor at a new construction nuclear power plant. If I can get past a 2.47 with only a 710 GMAT to get accepted at Notre Dame, then you more than stand a chance. Like I said to being with, it is all about showing who you are. Best of luck and keep us updated!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 12:52
Hey fergs thanks for your input and congrats on getting accepted at Notre Dame. I just got dinged from Columbia. Not terribly upset since that was my reach school anyways. I just finished submitting my applications for Notre Dame and Duke. Just playing the waiting game right now....
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 04:16
Thanks! I was pretty excited to get the acceptance to Notre Dame, it has been a dream to be there for a while. I had a reach to HBS and Cambridge, both gave me the cold shoulder without even interviewing me so I know the rejection. Although not too surprising. Best of luck at Duke and Notre Dame, both are very military friendly from my understanding.
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: 305 Q151 V154
GRE 2: 316 Q156 V160
GRE 3: 318 Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE: Other (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 15:43
If any is interested in Sloan, please feel free to contact me. Good luck to everyone.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton '17, Haas '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 06:27
Hey guys, this thread seems to have died off.

So....

Go Army, Beat Navy!

That is all.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 11

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
rltw it's about to be 12 years in a row... And to think the last time Army won the current plebes were 7 years old... Go Navy, Beat Army!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 2.87

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 2

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 16:15
This post received
KUDOS
First post. Just received the call from Johnson today-in!
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2013, 16:17
ulysses03 wrote:
First post. Just received the call from Johnson today-in!

Nice! Congrats!

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GPA: 3.03

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 16:36
This post received
KUDOS
This thread is a little light compared to years past...I figured I would update the military guys. Just got accepted to McCombs today...still waiting on MIT Sloan next Friday. Fingers crossed.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 06:51
fergsonfire wrote:
rltw it's about to be 12 years in a row... And to think the last time Army won the current plebes were 7 years old... Go Navy, Beat Army!

The last time Army beat Navy, Apple released the iPod. Really puts things into perspective.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 08:14
Making the trip to Baltimore next year to see Navy make it 13 in a row!
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 19:39
This post received
KUDOS
Checking back in...heard the word from HBS this week!
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 10:56
Long-time GMAT Clubber here. I separated from the Air Force this summer and just wrapped up my first semester at Haas. Happy to be a resource for any vets applying to Berkeley this year. Feel free to PM me directly or post a comment. I'm also happy to connect you with someone from another service at Haas.

One thing I did want to note is I've been very surprised by the level of support for vets at Berkeley and the Bay Area in general. Definitely a very positive environment to have transitioned into.
Current Student
GPA: 3.51

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 14:08
I have a feeling my GMAT is way too low. I have a pretty diverse background since I've been in the SOF community for a while, but I doubt that will set me apart too much. I think it's going to be a disappointing winter.
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants!   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2013, 14:08