Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2014 Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey EBM, thanks for starting this thread! Just wanted to give a shout out to the military applicants for this Fall's cycle and let them know that EssaySnark is doing pro-bono Comprehensive Profile Reviews and offering other discounted services for veterans. Check it out here:

https://essaysnark.com/military-mba
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: Q151 V154

GRE 2: Q156 V160

GRE 3: Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
If anyone is interested in Sloan and would like some insight/advice/help feel free to PM me. Also, I am an enlisted SF guy so if you are enlisted and want some advice about b-school feel free to PM me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: Q151 V154

GRE 2: Q156 V160

GRE 3: Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Also, I would like to endorse Yinon Weiss and the Military to Business crew. I consulted with Yinon on some b-school questions and received some great feedback. My biggest regret to the B-school application process was not talking to Yinon sooner.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 550 Q27 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
militaryessaysnark wrote:
Hey EBM, thanks for starting this thread! Just wanted to give a shout out to the military applicants for this Fall's cycle and let them know that EssaySnark is doing pro-bono Comprehensive Profile Reviews and offering other discounted services for veterans. Check it out here:

I took advantage of this and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's still picking schools or wants to ensure they're not overlooking a key component of their strategy. It's not like the other "free profile evaluations" out there in that they publish a very detailed report and don't use it as simply a marketing tool for the rest of their services.

Is anybody else looking to go the sponsored route and return to AD afterwards?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
militaryessaysnark wrote:

https://essaysnark.com/military-mba

I'd also recommend this to any military applicants who've done some research on their own. I got 15 pages of feedback at no cost after taking 20 minutes to fill out their online form. It wasn't 15 pages of fluff, either -- plenty of useful advice in there on issues that I didn't think of or wasn't sure how to approach.

Good luck to everyone, it's back to essays for now....
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the endorsements!

Here's a recent blahg post on characteristics of a "military friendly" school: https://essaysnark.com/2013/07/how-to-tell-if-a-school-is-military-friendly/

If you can't access the micro site, make sure to follow the directions on the site to gain access!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Here's a link to an hour-long admissions Q&A webinar that a few HBS vets did in the spring: https://video.hbs.edu/videotools/play?cl ... ry_webinar

We received a handful of HBS-specific questions from viewers, but I'd say a majority of our discussion applies to any target schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
EBM wrote:
Here's a link to an hour-long admissions Q&A webinar that a few HBS vets did in the spring: https://video.hbs.edu/videotools/play?cl ... ry_webinar

We received a handful of HBS-specific questions from viewers, but I'd say a majority of our discussion applies to any target schools.

Just watched it, great advice on interviewing about 20 minutes in. Also nice to actually see and hear from AFAA members for those who, like me, haven't been able to visit or talk to current students face to face.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi everyone!

Great thread. Thanks for posting all the tips!

I have a question for the general community. Right now I'm active duty - looking to separate Summer 2014. I exhausted most of my post-9/11 GI Bill between my undergrad and graduate degrees (my journey took me from enlisted -> Michigan State -> officer). I have a mere 4 months left. That said, I'll need funding. Are most B schools reluctant to give military personnel non-Yellow Ribbon funding opportunities? Or is it all based off competitiveness?

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
jthespartan wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have a question for the general community. Right now I'm active duty - looking to separate Summer 2014. I exhausted most of my post-9/11 GI Bill between my undergrad and graduate degrees (my journey took me from enlisted -> Michigan State -> officer). I have a mere 4 months left. That said, I'll need funding. Are most B schools reluctant to give military personnel non-Yellow Ribbon funding opportunities? Or is it all based off competitiveness?

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy

I'm sure it is school dependent but they should base it off of merit and need. Columbia is notorious for being cheap when it comes to scholarships(the Dean even admitted it in an interview) however I received almost $20,000 in various scholarships and I know another officer who got over $30,000. Neither of us qualify for the Yellow-Ribbon Program these were just general scholarships all students compete for.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
Send PM
jthespartan wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy

Hey Sparty! Just to let you know about my background, I'm 100% eligible for the GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon would have covered things at Johnson, but I was still awarded a Park Fellowship based on merit. In other words, you should be able to compete for scholarships just like any other student, and as a bonus, some schools have veteran specific scholarships.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mappleby wrote:

I'm sure it is school dependent but they should base it off of merit and need. Columbia is notorious for being cheap when it comes to scholarships(the Dean even admitted it in an interview) however I received almost $20,000 in various scholarships and I know another officer who got over $30,000. Neither of us qualify for the Yellow-Ribbon Program these were just general scholarships all students compete for.

Thanks for the info. The big decision I have to make is what round to shoot for. I'm applying to a number of IR and MBA programs (interested in cultural engagement from an international business or diplomatic perspective), so I plan on using the GRE only (I want to kill two birds with one stone). I haven't received my official scores yet, but my instant scores were both mid-150s. I know I can do better, and I want to retake. But I'll be in Afghanistan until late November. So the question becomes do I...

(1) Rely on my high undergrad (3.81) and grad (4.0) GPAs, letters, military story, and apply Round 1 or
(2) Push everything to Round 2.

Interested to hear what others think.
Director
Director
Send PM
If you want to re-take, I'd push to round 2. May as well apply with your strongest application. Also the GMAT seems to be a big factor in determining merit-based scholarships...not sure how the GRE is treated in this sense as I haven't seen many posters talk about fellowship $$ when getting admitted with the GRE.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Also the GMAT seems to be a big factor in determining merit-based scholarships...not sure how the GRE is treated in this sense as I haven't seen many posters talk about fellowship $$ when getting admitted with the GRE.

That brings up a good point. I know GRE scores for MBA programs are a relatively new thing. Does anybody know how that impacts funding decisions, if at all?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT Date: 03-01-2014
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Hey guys/gals! Long time reader, first time poster. I am a USAF acquisition officer with 3 years in, currently in Afghanistan. I have an Air Force specific question. Is anyone out there familiar with the Air Force Educational Leave of Absence (AFELA) program? It allows you to remain on active duty and go to school for up to two years. However, it is a little-talked about program and I haven't heard from any officers who have actually used it. Besides the one con I can think of (blank OPRs), it would allow me to stay in the AF and go to the b-school of my choosing which is ultimately my goal. If anyone has used it or has any more info on it, I would greatly appreciate it.

On another note, how do you guys think admissions would feel about a candidate who would be remaining in the military, rather than transitioning into the civilian sector? Do you think this would hurt or help my chances? Thanks for the help guys.
Director
Director
Send PM
USAFmba wrote:
On another note, how do you guys think admissions would feel about a candidate who would be remaining in the military, rather than transitioning into the civilian sector? Do you think this would hurt or help my chances? Thanks for the help guys.

It shouldn't hurt your chances. The Navy sends some of its supply officers to civilian MBA programs while on active duty - fully funded, drawing a salary - and those guys owe three years after they graduate. They still intern, but they're evaluated just like any other vet. Obviously, these guys fall in the category of "not seeking employment" on the employment report. Really not much different than the guy/gal who's being sponsored by his/her company.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
USAFmba wrote:
Hey guys/gals! Long time reader, first time poster. I am a USAF acquisition officer with 3 years in, currently in Afghanistan. I have an Air Force specific question. Is anyone out there familiar with the Air Force Educational Leave of Absence (AFELA) program? It allows you to remain on active duty and go to school for up to two years. However, it is a little-talked about program and I haven't heard from any officers who have actually used it. Besides the one con I can think of (blank OPRs), it would allow me to stay in the AF and go to the b-school of my choosing which is ultimately my goal. If anyone has used it or has any more info on it, I would greatly appreciate it.

I guess I don't see the point. Why would you want to get an MBA if you're not going to use it? Your close to your ADSC... why not separate and pursue a MBA as a civilian. If you just want to check the box, get something far easier and cheapter.

PM with your @us.af.mil address and I'll explain further. I'm also deployed to AFG at the moment.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7