Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 06:23
uwpark wrote:
Currently, I'm debating whether to pursue a Full-Time MBA or an Executive MBA (due to 10+ years of work experience and age).

Thoughts?

Don't let your age drive you towards an EMBA if that's not what you really want. Schools market it as "in the end, you'll receive an MBA from [our school]" whether it's full-time, part-time or executive.

I had 10.5 years in the Navy and I went the full-time route because I was changing careers (marketing). I knew an EMBA wouldn't get me there, because an EMBA is typically for someone in a managerial position that intends to stay at the company that will sponsor the EMBA. In other words the EMBA IMO is for people who've reached a point in their career where they need the street cred in the form of an EMBA to move up. I'd recommend anyone leaving the military, regardless of age to go the full-time route if they're serious about switching careers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 10:53
Along the lines of what CobraKai said, recruiting opportunities can be very limited at EMBA programs unless the school makes the effort to integrate their EMBAs and FEMBAs in with the full-time MBAs for job placement purposes. UCLA is an example of one that's extremely accommodating to job-hunt efforts for EMBAs and FEMBAs...I'm sure there are others, but that's the first one that comes to my mind. Before you settle on the part-time route make sure there are resources in place for you to transition into the career you want, and don't settle purely because of age.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GPA: 3.04
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 22:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Applying Vets-
I am an Army vet who transitioned in June and am just finishing Summer Start at NYU Stern (in the library studying for my stats final as we speak).
Just wanted to let you all know of a Military Event that is being co-hosted by Stern MBA Admissions Department and the Military Veterans Club on Saturday, October 4.
http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... tary-event
Good luck, and shoot me a DM if you have any questions.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-24-2014
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2014, 05:56
EBM wrote:
Registration is now live for HBS's Military Prospective Student Day on September 26:

Has anyone attended a Military Prospective Student Day at HBS (or any other school, for that matter)?

I recognize that many of the posts in this thread (so far) are from folks at different schools that are offering such events....I am particularly interested in hearing from somebody that has actually attended one. Is the experience very different from just visiting the campus on any other (generic) prospective student day? Is the assumption that those who attend have already finished their applications, and are just using the visit to decide if they'd accept an offer? Or is it for those trying to decide which schools to apply to? Or would attending a prospective student day somehow help with the application (maybe you could get tips from current students, Q&A from admissions departments, etc)?

Sorry for the slew of questions...I'd like to attend a Prospective Student Day (and one geared towards military would be great!), but obviously need to justify the costs of travel and lodging (and burning leave days). I'm certain that I want to apply to HBS (and that it would be my top choice, if I got an offer)....so is flying up not worth the time?

Thanks!

btw, This is my first post in this thread....I am still active duty US Navy (submarines!) but my papers are in to resign in May....looking to matriculate with Class of 2017. I will be applying in R2 for two or three top schools (probably HBS, GSB, and one from Wharton/Kellog/Booth) and one or two from a the next tier down (still trying to figure out which ones). I decided to defer my apps to R2 (from R1) since I missed the mark on my first GMAT attempt…680 (Q46, V38) after 3 months of less-than-effective self study. I’m currently taking the full online MGMAT course to try and get a 730+ on the GMAT for my retake (already scheduled for Oct 24…yikes!). I’m an academy grad…3.56 GPA. I would love to get in touch with some other folks with a similar background/target schools! I think my girlfriend only has a finite capacity for my blabbering about GMAT, MBA programs, and post-MBA career options… ; )

edited to fix my [quote]
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2014, 13:42
Definitely worth attending for any schools you plan on applying to...prior to applying if at all possible, so that you can assess whether the school is a good fit for you and do a better job of articulating "Why HBS/Kellogg/Booth/GSB" when the question comes up on essays or in your interviews.

I visited UCLA, Berkeley, and Stanford shortly after applying in R1 while I waited for interview invitations, but didn't visit HBS until I interviewed on campus there during R2. While I was attending HBS I helped plan and conduct the MPSD both years and it's a much better experience than what you'd get simply by showing up on a random day and attending some classes. I can't speak first-hand about other schools but I've heard good feedback from people who have attended their events.

The resources directed towards the HBS event are particularly nice--in an ~8 hour period you'll have the opportunity to hear from admissions, financial aid, and career services, attend a class, tour the campus, have an "official" Q&A panel with veteran students and faculty members, and get no-BS answers and advice over a few beers at the evening reception.

The travel costs and leave days are small drops in the bucket when you're (a) trying to decide which schools are worth your two years and ~$100K and (b) trying to indicate your interest in a program and show AdCom that you're serious enough to make an effort to visit prior to applying.

As for the "deciding whether to accept the offer" situation, that's what Admitted Students Weekends are geared towards.

Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 19:37
FROM MilitaryToBusiness.com: Sloan on the Road for Veterans

If you're on the west coast and interested in Sloan, you are invited to visit their upcoming veteran information session in San Diego... 

Date: 8/22/14

Title: MIT Sloan on the Road for Veterans - San Diego

Description: Innovation, Collaboration and Global Impact are the heart of the MIT Sloan mission. Join an admissions representative at the MIT Sloan Veteran's Sloan on the Road to hear how our mission-driven School inspires cutting-edge thinking and prepares the next generation of principled leaders. Learn about the entrepreneurial spirit of our community and opportunities to customize your learning experience. Engage with local
veteran alumni and current student Veterans as they share their stories and talk about life after MIT Sloan.

Schedule:

6:30 - 6:45 p.m. Registration

6:45 - 7:45 p.m. Admissions Presentation and Alumni Panel

7:45 - 8:30 p.m. Network with Admissions staff, alumni, and fellow applicants

Where: San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina

333 W Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101

Tel: (619) 234-1500
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 19:37
FROM MilitaryToBusiness.com: Harvard Military Prospective Student Day (MPSD) 2014

Harvard Business School invites you to attend Military Prospective Student Day (MPSD) on Friday, September 26.  Jointly sponsored by HBS MBA Admissions and the Armed Forces Alumni Association (AFAA), MPSD is an opportunity for members of the military and their partners to experience Harvard Business School.

Throughout the event, you will have an opportunity to:

Interact with students and members of the MBA Admissions team
-Participate in a campus tour
-Visit a class
-Attend a current student panel
-Learn more about the AFAA
-Attend a reception

For more details and to register, click [https://apply.hbs.edu/register/mpsd14]

For any questions about the event, please contact Sophi Kim at sokim at mba2015 .dot. hbs .dot. edu
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 10:01
FROM MilitaryToBusiness.com:
Expectation Management

As military officers, we are often told that we are “the best of the best” and that top schools like HBS/Wharton/GSB will be “knocking on our doors” when we are ready to ETS. These ideas get planted in our heads by our school professors, mentors, friends, and family. You might have even heard this statement at some point: “Don’t worry about your undergrad GPA - you’re a military officer! Graduate schools will add 1.0 to your GPA!” This is an example of the military rumor mill in its prime - who actually verified this statement? Probably no one.

I would like to give you the following piece of advice: do not enter the application process with an ego.

It is universally understood that chance and subjective opinion play a big role in college admissions, and the MBA application process is no different. An 800 on your GMAT does not guarantee you a ticket into HBS nor does being a platoon leader in charge of 60 men and women and responsible for $50 million worth of equipment with 100% accountability. Sound familiar? Because most of the military applicants are just as strong as you are as far as the military resume goes.

I have broken down some key points I would like to encourage all of you to keep in mind as you embark on your MBA application:

- Have a realistic school list: Look at your stats. Compare your GPA and GMAT scores to those in Sandy Kreisberg’s popular “Chances of Getting Accepted” column on Poets and Quants. Are your numbers in the vicinity of those applying to the same schools as you? It is important to know what industry you would like to pursue during your MBA and which schools are particularly strong in that field. It is not about “blindly applying to the top 5 and crossing your fingers that one of them accepts you.”

- Find your fit: This may be the 100th time that someone has said this, but it is valid every time. You are no longer a 17-year-old high-schooler going to the best school that accepted you. You are an adult who has professional aspirations and a developed personality. When you visit your target schools, soak in the vibe and culture of the student body, and get a feel of what kind of people would succeed in their environment. See which one fits your personality best and where you can really thrive.

- Lastly, do not advertise before getting accepted: We all know someone or friends of friends who are guilty of this -- “Look at my huge pile of GMAT books! #HBSBound! #MBA #GMAT #dreams #hopes #studytime #dailygrind” Rather than spending time choosing your Instagam filter for your study materials, how about actually opening up your books and studying? It is important to be humble because you never know where you will get accepted to or rejected by, so it is best to stay mum until you actually decide on a school. At this point, you will probably be so burnt out from applications that you won’t have the energy to brag, but you will understand the importance of being gracious and thanking everyone who supported you in some way or another during the process.

Author’s background: service academy graduate, 3.3 GPA, 680 GMAT, completed 5 years of active duty with 1 tour to Afghanistan; will be attending a top 10 MBA program (Not H/S/W) this fall.

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 00:07
So, I switched from taking the Veritas Prep tests, to the GMAC practice test and my score dropped about 110 points from 690 to 580. I got slaughtered on the quant section, dropping from around the 63rd percentile to 32nd. I felt pretty exhausted that morning and I don't think my head was in the game. I'm hoping I'm right. Does anyone have common experiences? Was fatigue that much of a factor or are the Veritas Prep tests that much easier? From everything I've read, Veritas' tests are usually within 30 points of the actual GMAT.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 00:11
manbear677 wrote:
EBM wrote:
Registration is now live for HBS's Military Prospective Student Day on September 26:

Has anyone attended a Military Prospective Student Day at HBS (or any other school, for that matter)?

I recognize that many of the posts in this thread (so far) are from folks at different schools that are offering such events....I am particularly interested in hearing from somebody that has actually attended one. Is the experience very different from just visiting the campus on any other (generic) prospective student day? Is the assumption that those who attend have already finished their applications, and are just using the visit to decide if they'd accept an offer? Or is it for those trying to decide which schools to apply to? Or would attending a prospective student day somehow help with the application (maybe you could get tips from current students, Q&A from admissions departments, etc)?

Sorry for the slew of questions...I'd like to attend a Prospective Student Day (and one geared towards military would be great!), but obviously need to justify the costs of travel and lodging (and burning leave days). I'm certain that I want to apply to HBS (and that it would be my top choice, if I got an offer)....so is flying up not worth the time?

Thanks!

btw, This is my first post in this thread....I am still active duty US Navy (submarines!) but my papers are in to resign in May....looking to matriculate with Class of 2017. I will be applying in R2 for two or three top schools (probably HBS, GSB, and one from Wharton/Kellog/Booth) and one or two from a the next tier down (still trying to figure out which ones). I decided to defer my apps to R2 (from R1) since I missed the mark on my first GMAT attempt…680 (Q46, V38) after 3 months of less-than-effective self study. I’m currently taking the full online MGMAT course to try and get a 730+ on the GMAT for my retake (already scheduled for Oct 24…yikes!). I’m an academy grad…3.56 GPA. I would love to get in touch with some other folks with a similar background/target schools! I think my girlfriend only has a finite capacity for my blabbering about GMAT, MBA programs, and post-MBA career options… ; )

edited to fix my
Quote:

Hey man, I've never done a military visit to a B-School. I'm overseas at the moment, so its hard to travel back to the states. I can relate talking about the GMAT with my wife... at some point, they just smile and nod. I had a bit of a setback myself with the GMAT. Hang in there! B-schools have to accept someone, right?

-JN
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 09:56
For those military applicants with an interest in Darden, please take note of the upcoming Veterans-themed Open House slated for 12-13 OCT. The Darden Military Association will be coordinating the event and POCs are listed on the DMA's website.

On Sunday (12 OCT) there will be an informal BBQ with current Veteran students and a number of donors that sponsor scholarships for Veteran students. Among the scheduled attendees is John Strangfeld, CEO of Prudential and a Darden graduate. Although Mr. Strangfeld is not a Veteran, he has been highly supportive of the DMA throughout the years.

The following day (13 OCT) will feature a class visit, student and admissions panels, and an extensive run down of GI Bill benefits and how they function at a public school like Darden.

Please feel free to reach out to the DMA and Cheryl Jones on the Admissions Committee. She has served on the Admissions Committee for an extended period of time and is in her second year of working with Veteran applicants.

Best of luck and we hope to see you (and your significant other if applicable) in Charlottesville this Columbus Day weekend!
Director
Director

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 11:45
DardenVeteran wrote:
For those military applicants with an interest in Darden, please take note of the upcoming Veterans-themed Open House slated for 12-13 OCT. The Darden Military Association will be coordinating the event and POCs are listed on the DMA's website.

On Sunday (12 OCT) there will be an informal BBQ with current Veteran students and a number of donors that sponsor scholarships for Veteran students. Among the scheduled attendees is John Strangfeld, CEO of Prudential and a Darden graduate. Although Mr. Strangfeld is not a Veteran, he has been highly supportive of the DMA throughout the years.

The following day (13 OCT) will feature a class visit, student and admissions panels, and an extensive run down of GI Bill benefits and how they function at a public school like Darden.

Please feel free to reach out to the DMA and Cheryl Jones on the Admissions Committee. She has served on the Admissions Committee for an extended period of time and is in her second year of working with Veteran applicants.

Best of luck and we hope to see you (and your significant other if applicable) in Charlottesville this Columbus Day weekend!

Do you have an email you could forward me with all the relevant information, registration link, etc.? If so we can post it on the MilitaryToBusiness blog. Email is eric(at)militarytobusiness(dot)com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 04:07
fbpointgod10 wrote:
ROTC commission from UT Austin. Submarine Officer that lateral transferred to Engineering Duty Officer. Engineering Master's degree from Naval Postgraduate School. I will be applying this Fall. I am leaving the Navy in June 2015.

Has anyone come across statistics on the number of military applicants to top tier programs? Success rates? Breakdown of services and/or specialties?

Anyone else already have a graduate degree?

Any other military intending to apply to (or already have) schools through The Consortium?

I thought the quant portion of the GMAT was gonna be a breeze and didn't put in enough time on that section. Any pointers to raise from Q45 to Q48-Q50?

Anyone else in the Seattle area?

The GMATclub Quant tests will definitely get you to Q48-Q51. They are extremely hard and demotivating in the beginning, but stick with them and try to learn from each question. Sometimes the explaination is extremely hard to understand until you get a solid foundation in quant. They are definitely worth the time and money though.
Best of luck.
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 143

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 866

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2015 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2014, 07:19
Expert's post
FROM Jones(Rice) Admissions Blog: From the Military to Wall Street
Have you considered life on Wall Street after life in the Military? Do you have questions about the transition to corporate life? Are you concerned about how to transfer your military skills to investment banking?

Three veterans in the Rice MBA Class of 2016 answered "yes" to these questions, deciding to trade in their camouflage for suits and ties. After an extremely competitive application process, Philip Gunn, Kyle Greer and Matt Guyton were invited to attend the Credit Suisse MBA Military Boot Camp. Rice represented an astounding 10% of the prestigious group invited to attend!

The Credit Suisse MBA Military Boot Camp is an educational outreach initiative for prior-military MBA candidates who are entering business school this fall and who are interested in a career in financial services. During this full day program, Philip, Kyle and Matt learned about careers in Investment Banking, Sales and Trading and Private Banking. They received advice from previous vets who have made the successful transition to Wall Street, and had the opportunity to network with members of the Credit Suisse Americas Veterans’ Network, the first such network on Wall Street. Congratulations, Philip, Kyle and Matt, on getting a head start to your MBA journey!

Philip Gunn
Rice MBA Class of 2016
United States Air Force
Like everything else, life as an Air Force officer revolves around money – obtaining money for training, flight hours, weapons qualifications, joint exercises, and yes even a fighter squadron bar. Sequestration taught us some very difficult realities with respect to appropriating funds for defense and security. Some time ago the Air Force adopted the corporate structure model of leadership and funding. While our allocations of cash are not always the most prudent in practice, they do reveal a great deal of understanding amongst our leaders of just how our American corporate economy functions. There comes a time in every officer’s career when acquiring permissions and funding to get your unit the appropriate training becomes a challenge, whether it be on Capitol Hill or at the base level. My epiphany came in early 2012 when I wanted to learn a better way to do business.

Early this summer I applied to participate in Credit Suisse’s Veterans pre-MBA Military Boot Camp in New York. This event was designed to teach transitioning veterans entering top MBA programs around the country how to lay the foundation for our movement into the corporate marketplace. With the military veteran network being one of the strongest in business anywhere, I was humbled to see some of our leading financiers taking an active role in assisting us with this change. The information passed on various opportunities created an indefinite list of possibilities that most professionals long to have. When this type of program is delivered to driven leaders who understand responsibility and accountability the possibilities are endless. I was grateful Credit Suisse gave me the chance to be a part of this great and wonderful program.

The energy sector is something I perceive as our nation’s most vulnerable and important asset. Not only did I want to achieve a superior business education, but I also desired to play an active role in the future development of this industry. Rice-Jones is able to deliver both, and after some initial research in my business school pursuit the choice was easy. Shaping the conversation of America’s energy policy could very well be one of the most important variables for our future economy. I am very excited to begin this journey with the JGSB, and having the educational means to purse my goals.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE Image
Kyle Greer
Rice MBA Class of 2016
United States Army

As I prepare to start my first semester of business school at Rice I wanted to briefly introduce myself. Prior to attending Rice I served as an Infantry Officer in the US Army for six years. I decided to attend business school to enhance my skill set and transition to a new career that offered a similar level of responsibility to what I had in the military. The Jones School appealed to me because it is highly rated in accounting, finance, and return on investment, it has a strong veteran network, and it is located in what I think is a great city to start a career—Houston, Texas! As Katie discussed above, I attended the Credit Suisse Military Boot Camp in NYC. This is only one of many pre-MBA opportunities available to Rice MBA students. I’ve had the awesome opportunity to participate in three pre-MBA programs this summer: Connect with Bain, The Barclays Accelerated Associate Process, and the Credit Suisse Military Boot Camp. These opportunities were great ways to learn about different career paths and get a head start on networking. As a career changer, this helped me refine my short- term career goals, which will allow me to focus my recruiting efforts once school starts.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE Image
Matt Guyton
Rice MBA Class of 2016
United States Navy

My military service as a naval nuclear engineering officer provided me with significant experience in leadership, operations, and technical project/program management. Much of my desire to earn an MBA stemmed from a drive to address skill gaps which are necessary for a positive career trajectory in a corporate environment, specifically finance, accounting, and competitive strategy. Furthermore, I wanted to get back in a competitive, collaborative environment that allowed me to learn from peers from a variety of industries, cultures, and backgrounds. Coupling these goals with my interest in the energy industry made it greatly apparent that Rice was the perfect place to learn and grow. The fantastic experiences I had with the Veterans in Business Association (VIBA) through the admissions process sealed the deal for me.

The Credit Suisse MBA Military Boot Camp was an excellent opportunity because it featured primarily panels of veterans who had successfully transitioned from the service to the various sectors of the finance industry. They gave a great overview of investment banking, sales and trading, and private banking, and they were effective because they understood how the skills of a veteran translated to potential success in a career in finance. Formatting the event with a mix of presentations, case studies, Q&A sessions, and a networking happy hour really permitted those in attendance to get a lot of questions answered, ultimately providing a better understanding of which path to take. I was also proud to see Rice represented so well considering our class size.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Director
Director

Premium Member
Darden Military Association welcomes you 12-13 October 2014 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2014, 10:00
FROM MilitaryToBusiness.com: Darden Military Association welcomes you 12-13 October 2014

Registration link: https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/register/militaryopenhouse

Contact Carter Harris (HarrisC15@darden.virginia.edu) with any questions. 

Darden Military Association welcomes you 12-13 October 2014   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2014, 10:00