Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all USC Marshall Fall 2008 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Calling all USC Marshall Fall 2008 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 12:07
I couldn't find a thread for USC Marshall, so....here it is! :-D

Anyone else out there applying to Marshall? R1 deadline is coming up (December 1).
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 17:19
Did you do any school visits???...What program are you looking for at USC?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 00:38
i'm applying to their full time 2-year MBA program. no, i haven't visited the school. not sure if i will have time to do so before the R1 deadline. i am scheduled for a phone interview with a student ambassador next week though.

how about you? are you applying to marshall as well? if so, what program?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 10:59
graduated from USC - took some mba courses at Marshall...

Their real estate program is very good.. rest all are so so.. if u r planningto go into general management, its a good school...

if u r concentrating in finance, entrepreneurship, VC.. not the school to choose...

gets overlooked by most companies...

the school also has too much of the usc football brand image thrust upon it..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2007, 03:07
aviroop wrote:
graduated from USC - took some mba courses at Marshall...

Their real estate program is very good.. rest all are so so.. if u r planningto go into general management, its a good school...

if u r concentrating in finance, entrepreneurship, VC.. not the school to choose...

gets overlooked by most companies...

the school also has too much of the usc football brand image thrust upon it..


So you wouldn't recommend it for people who want to go into IB/MC right?

Just curious, what do you mean by the football thing?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2007, 10:49
No..
IB/MC companies do not come to USC.. max. 1 - 2 companies show up.. so I would not recommend you to pursue USC if finance is your end goal.

the school's football program, being a top selling point..the same attitude is thrust by the b-school..

instead of stressing on the b-school's program..more focus is put on usc in general and the belief that the brand name usc is enuf to land u a job....

holds good for LA/OC and southern california region....not anywhere else
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 20:34
aviroop wrote:
No..
IB/MC companies do not come to USC.. max. 1 - 2 companies show up.. so I would not recommend you to pursue USC if finance is your end goal.

the school's football program, being a top selling point..the same attitude is thrust by the b-school..

instead of stressing on the b-school's program..more focus is put on usc in general and the belief that the brand name usc is enuf to land u a job....

holds good for LA/OC and southern california region....not anywhere else


very interesting....wow coming from a alum too...i was gonna apply to SC as backup, but probably not. I figured there's just no guarantee that I can land a good paying job out of there.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 21:49
aceman626 wrote:
I figured there's just no guarantee that I can land a good paying job out of there.


There's no guarantee of getting a job out of any school. Just different probabilities, that's all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 23:02
lepium wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
I figured there's just no guarantee that I can land a good paying job out of there.


There's no guarantee of getting a job out of any school. Just different probabilities, that's all.


I don't really agree with that. At the top schools a high-paying job is pretty much guaranteed.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 14:20
Not sure if anyone else has heard anything yet, but I just got an invite for an interview this afternoon from USC! They said they will be interviewing candidates on campus Monday through Friday beginning this week. I submitted my application October 31st for the Early Round. Hopefully more invites are going out as we speak! Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 15:00
red_s4 wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has heard anything yet, but I just got an invite for an interview this afternoon from USC! They said they will be interviewing candidates on campus Monday through Friday beginning this week. I submitted my application October 31st for the Early Round. Hopefully more invites are going out as we speak! Best of luck!


congrats and good luck red!! i was going to shoot for R1, but i got too busy preparing for other interviews and apps. now i'm going for R2. please let us know how your interview goes! :)
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 16:00
aceman626 wrote:
I don't really agree with that. At the top schools a high-paying job is pretty much guaranteed.


I don't feel that way. Although I'd have to wait until next year to have some first-hand knowledge of how it turned out.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 23:33
congrats red_s4! you're just getting the love from the SoCal schools eh?

When is your UCLA interview?

Anyway, I was thinking of USC, but the lack of international/national recognition and it's weakness in entrepreneurship kind of turned me off.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 00:34
lepium wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
I don't really agree with that. At the top schools a high-paying job is pretty much guaranteed.


I don't feel that way. Although I'd have to wait until next year to have some first-hand knowledge of how it turned out.

L.


Well, we can agree to disagree. I'd say 99% of the people out there will agree with me tho. There is a reason people want to go to the top schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 05:32
I would probably have to agree with aceman and the others here. If you graduate from an M7, especially H/S/W, unless you are extremely picky yourself, or want to get into a field that's very obscure, you pretty much have a guaranteed good job. This is, of course, assuming that you did work somewhat hard and made all the connections/networking necessary and didn't just tank the interviews. :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 08:16
kryzak wrote:
congrats red_s4! you're just getting the love from the SoCal schools eh?

When is your UCLA interview?

Anyway, I was thinking of USC, but the lack of international/national recognition and it's weakness in entrepreneurship kind of turned me off.


My UCLA interview is actually this Thursday so hopefully it will go well. As for USC, I had/have some concerns as well. It is my "safety school" for now because it just doesn't seem to open the same doors that a top school does.

Last edited by red_s4 on 06 Dec 2007, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 14

 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 20:32
I will interview next Tuesday, giving me this weekend to prepare (been on business travel all week so far). I hope it goes well, and I'm just praying UCLA gives us a decision before Xmas!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

essays? [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 15:51
Am I retarded or something? I can't seem to locate the essay questions for USC. I signed up for the application and I searched through the whole thing and I can't find the questions!!! Does anyone know where they are?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: essays? [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 16:41
katgirl82 wrote:
Am I retarded or something? I can't seem to locate the essay questions for USC. I signed up for the application and I searched through the whole thing and I can't find the questions!!! Does anyone know where they are?


Kat,

If you are in the application, go to downloadable forms, then Essays:Marshall MBA Program


You applying for Rd2?

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 05:07
Question: Marshall's hard copy rec form is a generic one for all their graduate programs, is that correct?

Thanks.
  [#permalink] 11 Dec 2007, 05:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
49 Experts publish their posts in the topic USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants ebonn101 691 28 Aug 2011, 10:46
32 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! BeautifulMind2011 813 11 Sep 2010, 21:56
8 Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants albyman32 471 23 Nov 2009, 15:05
2 Calling All 2009 USC-Marshall Applicants Omne 51 03 Jun 2008, 16:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all USC Marshall Fall 2008 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 102 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.