Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 500 Q30 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 19:12
Eupfhoria wrote:
By straggler interviews, I mean a few people were invited as the month went on.

Gotcha. I will stay hopeful.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 20:44
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, submitted rd 1, got interview invite. Not sure how everything works. 720/3.0.

Does anyone know anything about the interview?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 05:42
This is so depressing. USC was my #1 choice. Major letdown. :(

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 05:56
What are your stats/background work experience?

If you didn't get an invitation yesterday, it's probably worth calling the admissions office to see if more will go out, you might still be in the running.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 06:24
Yeah I definitely intend on giving them a call today. I'll see what they say!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 09:13
I'll be on campus on January 4th for an interview. Anyone who will be in town on that date should let me know, we'll meet up!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 09:45
I have a question about the "Additional Documents" section of the app.
Do you think it's a faut-pas to upload some info about extracurricular activities? The app doesn't seem to have any space to talk about these, and I feel they're a KEY part of my profile, so my app would be incomplete without this info.

The "Additional Documents" section says "You may use this area to upload additional documents and information to support your application", which to me seems like an invitation to provide supplementary info. They don't seem to limit it to transcripts/ degree certificates. Am I reading this correctly?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 10:24
scielle wrote:
Do you think it's a faut-pas to upload some info about extracurricular activities? The app doesn't seem to have any space to talk about these, and I feel they're a KEY part of my profile, so my app would be incomplete without this info.

The "Additional Documents" section says "You may use this area to upload additional documents and information to support your application", which to me seems like an invitation to provide supplementary info. They don't seem to limit it to transcripts/ degree certificates. Am I reading this correctly?

I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to cram it into the "additional documents" section. The second Marshall essay specifically mentions "background, experience, leadership and teamwork skills," which sounds like a great spot to talk about ECs. I talked about my experience managing a local rock band in that one. (Insert correlation/causation disclaimer here)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 10:43
Any non-fastfood restaurant / bar recommendations near (20 minutes) USC?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 12:41
i also got an invite yesterday
scheduled one in LA.

as far as restaurants are concerned, there are lots of stuff in LA area for food
what kind of food do you like?
i personally enjoy the restaurants in the little tokyo area in down town
Intern
Intern

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 16:28
Too many restaurants to go. Drive up Hoover and you will find El Taurino (King Taco). Little Tokyo has great places to go. Just park your car and start walking around shopping centers. Cafe Dulce has great coffees and baked goods. Koreatown is huge. Restaurants and drinking spots are literally everywhere. Little Tokyo and Koreatown are about 10 minutes away from the campus.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 5

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 20:04
CyberC1 wrote:
I'll say that the 9-0 is a lot of fun...

I've joined more clubs than the average MBA student. Here's a list (most people go with 3-5):
Entrepreneurship and Venture Management Association
American Finance Association
Marshall Consulting and Strategy Club
Healthcare Leadership Association
Marshall Eatz (best club ever)
Marshall Wine Club
High Tech Association
Graduate Asian Business Society (for the food)
Net Impact
Marshall Admissions Ambassadors
Marshall Student Government

Internship-wise we're still in the thick of it looking. A couple of my classmates have already secured positions doing product management or marketing early on through attending diversity conferences. I'm currently working part-time at a venture capital firm so it might just end up that I keep doing that through the summer (still TBD). Looking for a job is like having another class, nobody is going to hand-hold your way through this. Basically, you're an adult, you're treated like one.

lol, hi Cristian?

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 22:53
Another 1st year student here. Let me know if you guys have any questions about Marshall. Congrats to those of you who have been invited to interview already. And certainly visit Marshall - I have heard their ambassadors are awesome.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 01:44
SuitUp wrote:
Another 1st year student here. Let me know if you guys have any questions about Marshall. Congrats to those of you who have been invited to interview already. And certainly visit Marshall - I have heard their ambassadors are awesome.

I've got a question for you and the other 1st years around. Does anyone have any experience with the operations club or know anyone who does?

In last year's thread, there is a comment by a prospective student that the operations club only had one guy in it who was interested in operations. Everyone else was just there looking for the free food. This is probably the worst news I've heard about Marshall, as I am looking to specialize in operations. I guess that means I have two questions:

1. Is the operations club really that thin?
2. Does the operations club really provide free food?
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 07:48
Eupfhoria wrote:
SuitUp wrote:

I've got a question for you and the other 1st years around. Does anyone have any experience with the operations club or know anyone who does?

In last year's thread, there is a comment by a prospective student that the operations club only had one guy in it who was interested in operations. Everyone else was just there looking for the free food. This is probably the worst news I've heard about Marshall, as I am looking to specialize in operations. I guess that means I have two questions:

1. I am not really involved with the Operations Club and knowing the other two first-year students on this forum, I don't think they are involved either (although CyberC1 might be tempted to join it after reading this post). Operations is indeed not a popular post-MBA career choice at Marshall, however, I have already met 3-4 first-year students who are interested in this field. But what is more important companies do come to recruit for their Ops positions (Mattel, Amgen, Yahoo!, etc.). I cannot comment on the experience of that person who visited the school and realized there was only one student interested in Ops but one sounds like an exaggeration.
2. Yes and No. Yes, they do serve food at every club meeting - it is usually pizza or sandwiches. The quality of the food varies based on its place of origin but it is usually "average" to "very good." And No, it is not free because you pay membership fees to be a member of the club at the beginning of the year and those fees are used to cover the bill for the food.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 12:30
I'll be on campus on January 12th for the interview. If anyone is on town, let me know and we can meet up!
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, UCI, UCSD, USC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 12:59
Eupfhoria wrote:
SuitUp wrote:

I'm a first year at USC concentrating in operations. My thoughts:

1) Look at the USC employment reports. Operations is behind marketing, accounting, finance, sales, and consulting in job field. So you can see where the priorities for students are.

2) No, there is not one person in the operations club. Yes, there club is relatively thin compared to the finance club, marketing clubs, etc. I'm in the operations club and I've probably only been to two events. There either aren't too many operations club events, or I am ignorant.

3) There are plenty of operation jobs available if you are interested. I cannot tell you how many recruiters I've met who complain that nobody wants to go into operations. Operations isn't as sexy as sales, finance, or consulting. So there isn't a lot of desire for people to go into it, despite the fact that businesses are hiring operations MBAs pretty steady right now since everyone is looking to improve efficiency//cut costs in these tough economic times.

4) My personal endorsement for people who want to study operations---- it depends on what exactly you want to do. If you want to do biotech operations, we've got Amgen and a bunch of other companies in the San Diego//L.A area that recruit here. There is also a high-tech club that visits San Francisco and several people there always land operations jobs for computer tech. There are also several tech companies in Irvine that recruit pretty heavily here. There are plenty of opportunities and jobs. That being said, we're not MIT. Operations is not the strength of USC.

5) Despite the above, lots of good operations classes here. There's a healthcare operations class that is going to Brazil this spring, and the professors here are pretty solid for operations overall.

6) And no. There's usually free food for the first event or two, but not on a regular basis.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

"You'd be out of your mind, like, uh, uh, you wouldn't be in your right mind."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 16:28
Can a current student clarify the differences between concentrations and certificates? Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 22:13
CyberC1 wrote:
Toriburu:

Certificates are actual programs of record that get entered into your USC transcript. For example, if you were to do a Certificate in Technology Commercialization, it would show up on your transcript as another "degree" that is awarded to you upon graduation. You have to apply separately for the certificate programs (no application fees if you're already a student).

Concentrations are unofficial ways to structure your program while at USC Marshall. You can have specific tracks that you tailor your coursework to, but it'll never appear on a transcript or official documentation as to what track you're on. In fact, because USC is a general management program there are no official concentrations to speak of. As an example, one could say that I'm "concentrating" in entrepreneurship because I'm taking a lot of entrepreneurship classes. I don't put that on my resume and it doesn't show up anywhere, although I may reference the fact that I'm taking those classes in interviews etc.

Hope this helps!

very helpful thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 20:30
Probably, I did it anyway. Got an invite. Another school with a similar format suggested putting that stuff in the resume, so im sure they are used to that, so its probably not much extra reading for them.

I called, and my impression was that section was for other programs to use. so dont abuse it.

scielle wrote:

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2011, 20:30