Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 19:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 12:05
For those invited and sent back a confirmation of a requested date, have you received a confirmation from USC? Does it usually take this long? I replied on the 16th, but haven't heard anything since.

Any insights?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 15:27
humphy wrote:
For those invited and sent back a confirmation of a requested date, have you received a confirmation from USC? Does it usually take this long? I replied on the 16th, but haven't heard anything since.

Any insights?

I received a reply back confirming the date for my interview, but the email also mentioned that I'd get more details (time, location, etc.) later. I haven't received anything since then...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 16:37
Hello all,

I have heard from random sources that USC and UCLA MBA programs are "rolling" in the sense that they will accept candidates prior to the completion of reviewing the entire round.

For example, if you are a round 2 candidate, but interviewed early, you might receive an acceptance notification even before another round 2 candidate who chose to interview later.

Is there any merit to this? If that is the case, doesn't it behoove all candidates to interview/complete their application as early as possible? I don't want to be disadvantaged because I'm unable to visit USC any earlier than I currently can.

Thanks for the help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 19:22
RG0105 wrote:
humphy wrote:

Any insights?

I received a reply back confirming the date for my interview, but the email also mentioned that I'd get more details (time, location, etc.) later. I haven't received anything since then...

Interesting, they must be really understaffed or something. I guess I will give them a call on Monday.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 20:36
MBA2012ebs wrote:
Hello all,

I have heard from random sources that USC and UCLA MBA programs are "rolling" in the sense that they will accept candidates prior to the completion of reviewing the entire round.

For example, if you are a round 2 candidate, but interviewed early, you might receive an acceptance notification even before another round 2 candidate who chose to interview later.

Is there any merit to this? If that is the case, doesn't it behoove all candidates to interview/complete their application as early as possible? I don't want to be disadvantaged because I'm unable to visit USC any earlier than I currently can.

Thanks for the help!

There wasn't anything like that in round 1, but it appears that round 2 is much less organized.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 22:05
how many invites in R2? What's the % of Admits vs Invites?
Manager
Manager

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 22:37
chenglin1117 wrote:
how many invites in R2? What's the % of Admits vs Invites?

Based on the BW stats, 60% of applicants get interviews, and about 45% of those interviewed are accepted.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 11:38
Any post-Feb 15th domestic applicant interview invites out there?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 12:08
got one on 2/16.

cardiffgiant wrote:
Any post-Feb 15th domestic applicant interview invites out there?
Intern
Intern

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 18:12
Any admits have their website login yet? We were supposed to get it last week.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 06:49
I have not received any of my login info at this time either.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 07:11
The login info came around this time last year so you should be getting it shortly (provided admissions stick to roughly the same schedule).

Also, somebody asked earlier about places to live as a USC Marshall MBA student. This is my take on that. I live in Santa Monica and it takes me 20-25 min without traffic to get to school and up to 40 min with traffic (during the first semester you have to be at school by 8 am so you will not be hitting any major traffic). Is it worth it? Every single second! And I cannot stress this enough. Downtown LA is simply not a nice area to live in and the proximity to the school is pretty much the only thing that is going for it (compared to the beach areas). My impression is that the class of 2013 is pretty evenly split up between Downtown LA and West LA (and a few people scattered around - Hollywood, Pasadena, etc). And the vast majority of the Downtown people will move to West LA during their second year simply because living in West LA is better and provides more authentic LA experience. :) Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: Q48 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Operations (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 13:23
Does anyone know the statistics for getting in without an interview? Still haven't received anything :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 13:49
Sylverlee wrote:
Does anyone know the statistics for getting in without an interview? Still haven't received anything :(

I think the chances of getting in without an interview at ANY top 50 school is 0% (AKA you have to interview to be admitted).

Don't fret - I saw someone else got an invite post 15th for R2, so there still is hope!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GRE 1: 322 Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Health Care)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 69

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 14:07
This post received
KUDOS
humphy wrote:
Sylverlee wrote:

I think the chances of getting in without an interview at ANY top 50 school is 0% (AKA you have to interview to be admitted).

Don't fret - I saw someone else got an invite post 15th for R2, so there still is hope!

That's not true, it is for harvard and a lot of top schools, but not USC.

from businessweek:
Quote:
Q: What percentage of applicants will be interviewed in 2004?
A: Last year, we interviewed roughly 95% of the admitted students. This year, we'll have interviewed about 85% of the students who will enroll in our program. We still encourage applicants to interview on campus and may phone those who are unable to travel. However, in some cases we've used strong recommendations from active alumni in place of an on-campus interviews.

however it looks like there are fewer students last year who got admitted without an interview:
2012 businessweek stats:
Quote:
Admitted applicants who were interviewed: 99 %

so i would only count on getting an admit sans interview if you got a super super awesome alumni reccommendation.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
I stand corrected, thanks, iamvolitant - this gives a micron of hope for my other apps still waiting!
Manager
Manager

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 14:12
Sylverlee wrote:

Based on the BW stats, only 1% are accepted without interviews (so roughly 5 based on my quick math)...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 14:19
SuitUp wrote:
The login info came around this time last year so you should be getting it shortly (provided admissions stick to roughly the same schedule).

Also, somebody asked earlier about places to live as a USC Marshall MBA student. This is my take on that. I live in Santa Monica and it takes me 20-25 min without traffic to get to school and up to 40 min with traffic (during the first semester you have to be at school by 8 am so you will not be hitting any major traffic). Is it worth it? Every single second! And I cannot stress this enough. Downtown LA is simply not a nice area to live in and the proximity to the school is pretty much the only thing that is going for it (compared to the beach areas). My impression is that the class of 2013 is pretty evenly split up between Downtown LA and West LA (and a few people scattered around - Hollywood, Pasadena, etc). And the vast majority of the Downtown people will move to West LA during their second year simply because living in West LA is better and provides more authentic LA experience. :) Hope that helps!

Currently living in Santa Monica myself, I would def stay put on the west side if I were to go to USC. If I had to pick a neighborhood within a 5 min drive, it would be KTown, though it wouldn't be with a smile... DT is "ok", but it definitely has its quirks and you either love it or hate it. I think Culver city has come around and places can be found a decent prices in safe-ER neighborhoods (still LA after all). Consider Pasadena (expensive)! or Alhambra if you are ok with the local population being 80% asian. But yea, once you live in santa monica, its hard to live anywhere else. Especially with Santa Monica's rent control and HUGE bill of tenet rights they have here.
Intern
Intern

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 15:21
Oh hey, login info just came out.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 18:47
in from wait list
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2012, 18:47