Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 18:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 143
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 500 Q30 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 15:04
ebonn101 wrote:
Well to clarify, I never really got an email saying my application was complete, what I got was an email on November 14th saying:

Dear ___,


Thank you for your application to the USC Marshall MBA Program. Your application has been successfully submitted and we are currently in the process of reviewing Round 1.

If you have not already done so we encourage you to participate in our MBA Ambassador Program. For scheduling information, please visit http://www.marshall.usc.edu. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at marshallmba@marshall.usc.edu or at 213-740-7846.



Sincerely,



MBA Admissions

USC Marshall School of Business


I got the same e-mail. Guess everything's gonna happen on 12/1. This waiting thing is killing me. :shock:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 01:27
Got a I/V call from USC Marshall. Have an I/V scheduled in my city on 26th November. Anybody else got an invite?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 143
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 500 Q30 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 06:41
guptapiyush1986 wrote:
Got a I/V call from USC Marshall. Have an I/V scheduled in my city on 26th November. Anybody else got an invite?


Wow I am actually surprised - I didn't think they were gonna send out invites until 12/1. Congratulations! :) Just curious, where are you located?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 06:49
goodbyeboy wrote:
guptapiyush1986 wrote:
Got a I/V call from USC Marshall. Have an I/V scheduled in my city on 26th November. Anybody else got an invite?


Wow I am actually surprised - I didn't think they were gonna send out invites until 12/1. Congratulations! :) Just curious, where are you located?


I am located in New Delhi, India. USC Marshall is visiting our city for the MBA fair.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 143
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 500 Q30 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 06:58
guptapiyush1986 wrote:
goodbyeboy wrote:
guptapiyush1986 wrote:
Got a I/V call from USC Marshall. Have an I/V scheduled in my city on 26th November. Anybody else got an invite?


Wow I am actually surprised - I didn't think they were gonna send out invites until 12/1. Congratulations! :) Just curious, where are you located?


I am located in New Delhi, India. USC Marshall is visiting our city for the MBA fair.


Ahh I see. Looks like they won't be visiting my town in the near future, so I guess I'll need to wait for a while. Congratulations again - please let us know how it goes and good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 441
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

I'm a first year at Marshall and was all over the GMATClub forums last year. If you've got some general questions feel free to post 'em up. Just some general notes: this is the second year they're running under a revamped curriculum. Classes start August 1 (with a week of orientation prior to that) and the last exam is December 9. First semester is heavily front-loaded with all the core curriculum, and then the rest of the time there is electives. In general, love the school, love the location, and love the people.

Cheers!
_________________

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 63
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:35
Hi Cyber, thanks for sharing the knowledge.

As a USC undergrad, I must know: has Chano's south exploded your arteries yet?

More relevant to actual business school, have you joined many clubs, and if so, what ones? Have you got a good bead on a summer internship yet, and how much ass-busting was required to do so, if so?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 441
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
I'll say that the 9-0 is a lot of fun...

I've joined more clubs than the average MBA student. Here's a list (most people go with 3-5):
Entrepreneurship and Venture Management Association
American Finance Association
Marshall Consulting and Strategy Club
Healthcare Leadership Association
Marshall Eatz (best club ever)
Marshall Wine Club
High Tech Association
Graduate Asian Business Society (for the food)
Net Impact
Marshall Admissions Ambassadors
Marshall Student Government

Internship-wise we're still in the thick of it looking. A couple of my classmates have already secured positions doing product management or marketing early on through attending diversity conferences. I'm currently working part-time at a venture capital firm so it might just end up that I keep doing that through the summer (still TBD). Looking for a job is like having another class, nobody is going to hand-hold your way through this. Basically, you're an adult, you're treated like one.
_________________

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 63
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:51
CyberC1 wrote:
I'll say that the 9-0 is a lot of fun...

I've joined more clubs than the average MBA student. Here's a list (most people go with 3-5):
Entrepreneurship and Venture Management Association
American Finance Association
Marshall Consulting and Strategy Club
Healthcare Leadership Association
Marshall Eatz (best club ever)
Marshall Wine Club
High Tech Association
Graduate Asian Business Society (for the food)
Net Impact
Marshall Admissions Ambassadors
Marshall Student Government

Internship-wise we're still in the thick of it looking. A couple of my classmates have already secured positions doing product management or marketing early on through attending diversity conferences. I'm currently working part-time at a venture capital firm so it might just end up that I keep doing that through the summer (still TBD). Looking for a job is like having another class, nobody is going to hand-hold your way through this. Basically, you're an adult, you're treated like one.


Very interesting. I have some more questions about the consulting club in particular... the employment reports suggest that the big three consulting firms aren't as interested in Marshall grads as they are in the bastards across town, but have any exceptional members of the consulting club in recent years gotten offers from the big three?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 441
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
This is the first year that the big 3 have decided to come back on campus. We're still not part of their core recruiting schools, but they've been hosting a lot more information sessions & become more receptive. A lot of the kudos for that has to go to the career office and the Marshall Consulting and Strategy Club; they've worked really hard to build up Marshall's consulting reputation. There have been people that have gone to a big 3 consulting but I wouldn't say that its common (increasing number in the recent past). A fair amount of people have gotten interviews (also an increasing number in the recent past).
_________________

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 63
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 09:10
Good to know, thanks for the info!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 19:52
CyberC1 wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm a first year at Marshall and was all over the GMATClub forums last year. If you've got some general questions feel free to post 'em up. Just some general notes: this is the second year they're running under a revamped curriculum. Classes start August 1 (with a week of orientation prior to that) and the last exam is December 9. First semester is heavily front-loaded with all the core curriculum, and then the rest of the time there is electives. In general, love the school, love the location, and love the people.

Cheers!


Hey CyberC1,

Thanks for offering your help. Based on your experiences at the college so far, I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on what really differentiates USC Marshall from its peers (such as curriculum, location, faculty, experiential learning opportunities). Any specific opportunities at USC specific to 'consulting'? (such as Marshall Consulting Group, GCC competition, etc.)

I have my interview scheduled with Kellee Scott this saturday and would also appreciate any tips for the I/V

Thanks!

Best
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 23
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 04:29
guptapiyush1986 wrote:
I have my interview scheduled with Kellee Scott this saturday and would also appreciate any tips for the I/V

Thanks!

Best

Hey Gupta, let us know how your interview went!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 06:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
Eupfhoria wrote:
guptapiyush1986 wrote:
I have my interview scheduled with Kellee Scott this saturday and would also appreciate any tips for the I/V

Thanks!

Best

Hey Gupta, let us know how your interview went!


It was a short and focused interview. I believe she had already read my application and interview primarily focused on areas not typically covered in the essays. Some of the questions were -

Why did I switch firm X to join y?
What steps did I take to learn about USC?
Three words to describe myself?
Would I want to re-join Y after MBA? (I work for a Big 4 consulting firm and wish to continue my career in consulting post-MBA. Also, I had mentioned this is my essay.)
What do I do for fun?
Whats my dream? (if I had access to unlimited time and resources)

and finally she gave me a chance to ask her a couple of questions

There was no regular questions like 'Walk me thru ur resume", "Why MBA", "Short/long-term goals" bla bla

Lasted about 20-25 mins. Dont know what to make of it. Result is expected on Feb 1

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 23
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 15:13
That definitely helps. Thanks!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 284
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 17:27
Just to be clear, no one else has gotten an interview except this guy because he is a special case (India), right? No US applicants have gotten invites yet?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 23
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 17:44
ebonn101 wrote:
Just to be clear, no one else has gotten an interview except this guy because he is a special case (India), right? No US applicants have gotten invites yet?


That is my understanding. Last year every GMATClub R1 applicant who received an interview invite received it on December 1st with the exception of 1 person (from India no less). It would appear this year is no different.

I'd post a link, but the system won't let me yet. Just do a search for Marshall 2011. I'd suggest you read the 2011 thread. There is some great information in there that is still useful.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 441
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 10:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry for the delayed response. It's the start of exam week for us this week. Before I go any further though I want to let you guys knows you should check out the student blogs on the Marshall website. It's a great way to learn more about the school from the lens of a student.

http://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba

Look for "Live @ Marshall"

Guptapiyush1986:

Sounds like your interview went well. I think the important things are just to be yourself, answer appropriate questions in terms of "situation, task, action, result" and don't be too modest.
I think the community and opportunity at USC Marshall is the differentiating factor with many of its peer programs. The community is really a rockstar group of people that have done some incredibly interesting work. A lot of people with real-world experience that span government, manufacturing, finance, nonprofit and consulting. I think at many schools they try and get a class with diversity, but honestly it results in an overload of consultants or bankers (which is really no fun). Speaking of fun, USC Marshall students know how to have fun. I've heard from outside groups that we're the most fun/outgoing MBA group on the west coast (I have no idea how true that really is, but I suspect that it's pretty much on par).

Check out the Marshall Consulting and Strategy Club - that'll be your best bet for finding out more about consulting opportunities.

http://marshall.campusgroups.com/consulting/about/

guptapiyush1986 wrote:
Hey CyberC1,

Thanks for offering your help. Based on your experiences at the college so far, I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on what really differentiates USC Marshall from its peers (such as curriculum, location, faculty, experiential learning opportunities). Any specific opportunities at USC specific to 'consulting'? (such as Marshall Consulting Group, GCC competition, etc.)

I have my interview scheduled with Kellee Scott this saturday and would also appreciate any tips for the I/V

Thanks!

Best

_________________

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 63
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 13:15
Tomorrow is the interview invite day, apparently! Marshall was the only school I submitted to in round one, so this is my first dog in the fight, so to speak.

Good luck everyone!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 284
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 16:38
So far all I've gotten from R1 is a deferral to R2 from HBS.

Hoping for my first interview here tomorrow. Good luck everyone.
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2011, 16:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
49 Experts publish their posts in the topic USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants ebonn101 691 28 Aug 2011, 10:46
32 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! BeautifulMind2011 813 11 Sep 2010, 21:56
8 Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants albyman32 471 23 Nov 2009, 15:05
2 Calling All 2009 USC-Marshall Applicants Omne 51 03 Jun 2008, 16:27
3 Calling all USC Marshall Fall 2008 Applicants rampup82 101 08 Nov 2007, 12:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  35    Next  [ 692 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.