Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [2] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Marshall Business School Guide

Add Yourself to This List (add Marshall to your profile)

USC Marshall Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add USC Marshall to your profile)

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Last edited by rasta on 26 Dec 2011, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Updated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 2

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 19:13
This post received
KUDOS
ebonn101 wrote:
Anybody know the historical acceptance rate of interviewed applicants?

This is from Businessweek for the class of 2013:
Applications (admitted and denied) to the newest class: 1,826
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 27 %
Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 60 %

Interviewed: 1,096
Accepted: 493
Rate: about 45%

Some additional info: http://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba/admissions/profile

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Fight On!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [2] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 00:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hmm... I'm not too familiar with electives in that domain. I think your best bet is to go over and take a look at the admission ambassador profiles and find someone that has a similar background to what you indicated below. The ambassadors have their previous industry and intended industry listed as well as their email, so if you find someone that you are interested in chatting with feel free to hit them up. You should be able to locate the admissions ambassadors here: http://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba/admissions/visit

ruchi2012 wrote:
Thanks CyberC1. Could you let me know what electives should I take for pursuing Consulting in Retail (likes of Kurt Salmon)? Anybody I can connect to with background in CPG/Retail (consumer packaged goods) and wants to purue consulting career in future.

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 16:51
This post received
KUDOS
awdburn1 wrote:
First time poster. Still nothing yet here either. R2 applicant, submitted on the deadline. 710 GMAT, 2.8 GPA. Local applicant, went to UCLA undergrad. Best of luck to those still waiting.

UCLA for undergrad? AUTOMATIC DING! lol, kidding.

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

I'm a first year at Marshall and was all over the GMATClub forums last year. If you've got some general questions feel free to post 'em up. Just some general notes: this is the second year they're running under a revamped curriculum. Classes start August 1 (with a week of orientation prior to that) and the last exam is December 9. First semester is heavily front-loaded with all the core curriculum, and then the rest of the time there is electives. In general, love the school, love the location, and love the people.

Cheers!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
I'll say that the 9-0 is a lot of fun...

I've joined more clubs than the average MBA student. Here's a list (most people go with 3-5):
Entrepreneurship and Venture Management Association
American Finance Association
Marshall Consulting and Strategy Club
Healthcare Leadership Association
Marshall Eatz (best club ever)
Marshall Wine Club
High Tech Association
Graduate Asian Business Society (for the food)
Net Impact
Marshall Admissions Ambassadors
Marshall Student Government

Internship-wise we're still in the thick of it looking. A couple of my classmates have already secured positions doing product management or marketing early on through attending diversity conferences. I'm currently working part-time at a venture capital firm so it might just end up that I keep doing that through the summer (still TBD). Looking for a job is like having another class, nobody is going to hand-hold your way through this. Basically, you're an adult, you're treated like one.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
This is the first year that the big 3 have decided to come back on campus. We're still not part of their core recruiting schools, but they've been hosting a lot more information sessions & become more receptive. A lot of the kudos for that has to go to the career office and the Marshall Consulting and Strategy Club; they've worked really hard to build up Marshall's consulting reputation. There have been people that have gone to a big 3 consulting but I wouldn't say that its common (increasing number in the recent past). A fair amount of people have gotten interviews (also an increasing number in the recent past).

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
Eupfhoria wrote:
guptapiyush1986 wrote:
I have my interview scheduled with Kellee Scott this saturday and would also appreciate any tips for the I/V

Thanks!

Best

Hey Gupta, let us know how your interview went!

It was a short and focused interview. I believe she had already read my application and interview primarily focused on areas not typically covered in the essays. Some of the questions were -

Why did I switch firm X to join y?
What steps did I take to learn about USC?
Three words to describe myself?
Would I want to re-join Y after MBA? (I work for a Big 4 consulting firm and wish to continue my career in consulting post-MBA. Also, I had mentioned this is my essay.)
What do I do for fun?
Whats my dream? (if I had access to unlimited time and resources)

and finally she gave me a chance to ask her a couple of questions

There was no regular questions like 'Walk me thru ur resume", "Why MBA", "Short/long-term goals" bla bla

Lasted about 20-25 mins. Dont know what to make of it. Result is expected on Feb 1

Hope this helps!

Cheers
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry for the delayed response. It's the start of exam week for us this week. Before I go any further though I want to let you guys knows you should check out the student blogs on the Marshall website. It's a great way to learn more about the school from the lens of a student.

http://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba

Look for "Live @ Marshall"

Guptapiyush1986:

Sounds like your interview went well. I think the important things are just to be yourself, answer appropriate questions in terms of "situation, task, action, result" and don't be too modest.
I think the community and opportunity at USC Marshall is the differentiating factor with many of its peer programs. The community is really a rockstar group of people that have done some incredibly interesting work. A lot of people with real-world experience that span government, manufacturing, finance, nonprofit and consulting. I think at many schools they try and get a class with diversity, but honestly it results in an overload of consultants or bankers (which is really no fun). Speaking of fun, USC Marshall students know how to have fun. I've heard from outside groups that we're the most fun/outgoing MBA group on the west coast (I have no idea how true that really is, but I suspect that it's pretty much on par).

Check out the Marshall Consulting and Strategy Club - that'll be your best bet for finding out more about consulting opportunities.

http://marshall.campusgroups.com/consulting/about/

guptapiyush1986 wrote:
Hey CyberC1,

Thanks for offering your help. Based on your experiences at the college so far, I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on what really differentiates USC Marshall from its peers (such as curriculum, location, faculty, experiential learning opportunities). Any specific opportunities at USC specific to 'consulting'? (such as Marshall Consulting Group, GCC competition, etc.)

I have my interview scheduled with Kellee Scott this saturday and would also appreciate any tips for the I/V

Thanks!

Best

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations for those who got interview invites!! For those that haven't yet, stay optimistic - you never know what might happen!

When are interviews for you guys scheduled for?

Tips for the interview:
1) Get to know the school well!!!
That's the main one because you know what the rest of an interview is like. It's a pretty generic behavioral interview with an admissions officer to assess your fit and your capabilities. If you come to a "super-Saturday" interview you may be interviewed by a second-year student instead of an admissions officer. There's really no difference between the two (trust me on this one, before I got in I used to speculate all day and night about this but there really is no difference at USC).

So how can you get to know USC better? Do a campus visit prior to your interview! Heck, you can do it the day of your interview. Make sure you get a chance to sit in on a class and meet the community - determine whether it is the right fit. Check out the Marshall full-time MBA website and learn about the different programs that we have - certificates, international opportunities, clubs, etc. Poke through the admissions ambassador blogs and get a sense of the community at Marshall, additionally: e-mail an admissions ambassador that you have some sort of a connection to (same hometown, same future industry, same background industry, whatever).

Good luck everyone and kick some ass!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 5

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 19:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everybody—just wanted to drop a line. I'm a current Full-Time student at USC, Class of 2013, and was in your shoes this time last year. Finals are around (and my super semester—11 courses this semester—is almost over) so I'm afraid I won't be able to devote much time here right now, but just wanted to shoot off some words of encouragement for everybody.

If anybody has any general questions about the program I'd be more than happy to lend some words on here.

Few things:
I'm completely enjoying the people and overall MBA experience right now. It's exceeded my pretty high expectations—everybody at school is extremely bright. B-school's by far one of the most dynamic, intelligent groups of people I've ever been a part of. People are easy to talk to, successful, and are incredibly fun to relax and party with.

The small class size (224 people total) gives everybody a chance to get to know each other. We're split off into 3 different "cores" of about 75 people each, and take mostly the same 11 courses throughout our first semester (the 11 courses are staggered throughout the semester so we're enrolled in no more than 5 at any given time). By the end of it (i.e. now) every core has bonded really well, and school-wide events (tailgates, volunteering, parties) gives us a chance to reach out to everybody else. It's a little overwhelming in the beginning, but because we see each other every day we get a chance to know each other.

Be prepared with some career decision before you get to school, do your research into the main companies, and hit the ground running when school starts. Many people go to B-school because they're unsure of their career decision, and that's okay. But the people who came in knowing what companies they wanted to work for, what industries they wanted to pursue, or what job functions they preferred (consultant, finance, marketing, strategy, etc.) have a much clearer path to success.

If you don't have a background in finance or accounting, read a couple intro books before school starts. You won't regret it.

Also, to be perfectly realistic, B-schools are a *lot* more difficult to get into than most people make it out to be. My resume, work experience, and GMAT scores were top notch (although my GPA was just okay), but I still got dinged from Harvard, MIT, and Haas. Almost every single person I've met at USC has the same story, but all are extremely well qualified people (former engineers, military, bankers, etc.). I can only imagine the people who applied to USC and got rejected with good stats. Had I known before what I know now, I would have applied to more backup schools and probably would've set my sights on different schools.

Good luck everybody!

Tony Lin

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 21:33
This post received
KUDOS
Toriburu:

Certificates are actual programs of record that get entered into your USC transcript. For example, if you were to do a Certificate in Technology Commercialization, it would show up on your transcript as another "degree" that is awarded to you upon graduation. You have to apply separately for the certificate programs (no application fees if you're already a student).

Concentrations are unofficial ways to structure your program while at USC Marshall. You can have specific tracks that you tailor your coursework to, but it'll never appear on a transcript or official documentation as to what track you're on. In fact, because USC is a general management program there are no official concentrations to speak of. As an example, one could say that I'm "concentrating" in entrepreneurship because I'm taking a lot of entrepreneurship classes. I don't put that on my resume and it doesn't show up anywhere, although I may reference the fact that I'm taking those classes in interviews etc.

Hope this helps!

toriburu wrote:
Can a current student clarify the differences between concentrations and certificates? Thanks!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
I think the differences are a little more nuanced than that. All MBA students at USC Marshall, whether you're in the IBEAR, Full-time, or Part-time program are required to go on an international tour/consulting project for a foreign company. The IBEAR program is much more structured & fast-paced as its only a one year program.

To be honest I don't know much about the IBEAR program (although we all hang out together we don't really talk about the specifics of our programs). We do complain about homework and talk about what we used to do/want to do in the future...

Would love to hang with prospectives coming in for interviews, but I'm leaving town tomorrow and won't be back until school starts! Check out the Admissions Ambassadors and see if there're any students sticking around town.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
ruchi2012 wrote:
Thanks CyberC1. Could you let me know what electives should I take for pursuing Consulting in Retail (likes of Kurt Salmon)? Anybody I can connect to with background in CPG/Retail (consumer packaged goods) and wants to purue consulting career in future.

Okay, let me take a stab at that. As far as retail electives go, there is one called Retail Strategy that I wanted to take next semester but it did not fit in my schedule. I am pretty sure you can find additional related classes in the Course Book. In general, if you want to do consulting (Retail/CPG or not) you have to focus on your case interview skills. You can take strategy classes but the key really is to practice on your own. Then hopefully you will land a gig with a consulting firm that covers the retail sector.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
ebonn101 wrote:
nycgirl222 wrote:
Hi everyone,

How have the interviews been going? Does anyone have any anecdotes that would help me to prepare? Were there any questions out of left field or does the interview consist mostly of behavioral questions and questions about goals for b-school? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm interested to hear the same. Especially since I heard somewhere that now USC is not doing blind interviews anymore, but, rather, more informed interviews where the Adcom has read thru your entire file, a la HBS, etc.

I had my interview with Marshall today so I figured I'd chime in. My interview was very conversational and was actually with two Adcoms, which was a bit of a surprise. All the expected questions: What do you do now? Why Marshall? What is your leadership style? What do your bosses love about you?...the flow was very good and non-ackward. They told me upfront that one interviewer had read my application and one had not. But, there were not any application specific questions that I can remember, so it still felt like a blind interview. All in all, I left the interview feeling very positive and liking Marshall even more than I already did. I hope the feeling was mutual. lol. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
Politico2012 wrote:
Does anyone know if the essays are to be submitted in one document?

I submitted on one document, starting each question on a new page. You can see the PDF printout of the final application in its entirety before you submit.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 14:20
This post received
KUDOS
Nothing yet over here either.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.77
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 14:49
This post received
KUDOS
FYI I just got a call stating I was accepted. I was also informed that the website would be updated with my current status. Good luck all.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 14:53
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted 5:52pm EST!!!!

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 15:02
This post received
KUDOS
In.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2012, 15:02