Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Vanderbilt Applicants Fall 2008

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2007, 17:23
PaulK wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
I've heard the same thing from Admissions regarding the increase in applicants this early in the process. The class of 09 is the largest in Owen history, and by the sounds of it the class of 10 has a good shot of beating us out.

Hopefully more applicants means there's better applicants as well.

How's your first half-a-year finishing up eazyb?

It's been fantastic but also quite a whirlwind. I've never been more busy in my entire life, as I am attempting to balance school work, clubs, and an internship hunt. It's funny because I remember thinking how awesome it was to only have classes Monday through Thursday - long weekends, right? Well, I quickly came to the realization that they plan it that way because you absolutely would not get all your work done if you didn't have three days with no classes.

How is your business school application process going? You visited Vandy a few weeks ago, right? How was it? Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about b-school or the app process.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2007, 23:03
eazyb81 wrote:
How is your business school application process going? You visited Vandy a few weeks ago, right? How was it? Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about b-school or the app process.

Oh I am certainly planning on PMing you again once I know my options. I got all my applications in a while ago, so I've just been waiting to start hearing back, but that won't be til January.

I visited back in August, a couple weeks before classes started for you. I may come again once I know the acceptance decision, to visit while classes are in session and check out housing around the area.

Happy to hear school's keeping you busy. You wouldn't want to be bored, right??
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2007, 19:23
Hello All,

I'm applying to Owen's program MSF begining fall 2008, a bit different from the MBA program, but I think they share some courses. In fact, I have an interview tomorrow, which I am very excited about. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit the school, but I'm pretty happy with how easy it was to contact former students.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2007, 22:47
iokita wrote:
Hello All,

I'm applying to Owen's program MSF begining fall 2008, a bit different from the MBA program, but I think they share some courses. In fact, I have an interview tomorrow, which I am very excited about. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit the school, but I'm pretty happy with how easy it was to contact former students.

You're right, iokita, off the website they sound very similar. And considering that Owen's pretty well focused on Finance, I imagine there's a lot of overlap.

How's the application process going? Good luck with the interview!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 14:10
I got my Vanderbilt decision just now.

Got Dinged...........................................

Needless to say, I'm upset..............
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 14:34
ashish.mahendra wrote:
I got my Vanderbilt decision just now.

Got Dinged...........................................

Needless to say, I'm upset..............

sorry to hear that ashish.

how did they let you know?
Manager
Manager

Ding [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 14:41
Sorry about the ding ashish. It's early in the admit season though, I'm sure you'll find a school that's a good fit!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 20:35
PaulK wrote:
iokita wrote:
Hello All,

You're right, iokita, off the website they sound very similar. And considering that Owen's pretty well focused on Finance, I imagine there's a lot of overlap.

How's the application process going? Good luck with the interview!

Thanks PaulK,

I really enjoyed the interview, but I was really nervous and I think I came off that way :(. But the interview got me even more excited about the school. Another applicant mentioned he was invited to a admitted students event after his interview, so it doesn't look super great, but I'll hope for the best.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 21:03
iokita wrote:
Thanks PaulK,

I really enjoyed the interview, but I was really nervous and I think I came off that way :(. But the interview got me even more excited about the school. Another applicant mentioned he was invited to a admitted students event after his interview, so it doesn't look super great, but I'll hope for the best.

I imagine nervous energy is to be expected. When I did my interview for Owen, I rambled a bit and had to make sure I didn't stray too far.

Sounds like that's a much quicker turnaround for the MSF program, if they issue invites to an admitted students event right after an interview. Us lowly-MBAers have to wait 2-3 months!

I hope it works out for you. Keep me posted!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 12:44
I had my Vandy interview over the telephone on friday with John Roeder, the admissions director. It was a pretty straight forward interview. He introduced himself and told me he only had my resume and that was done on purpose. Then he asked me his questions and in the end I got to ask him some. Then he told me I would know my final application status by early January latest. Later he followed up with an email.

I have been very impressed by the responsiveness I have experienced with Vandy. I submitted my application on Nov. 15 and I have already been interviewed. I once emailed them that I was having problems logging into the application page and got a reply in a couple of hours saying I could log in now and I really could! In the interview I found out that that was because of an unexpectedly large increase in applications this year. I don' remember sorry but I think he said 70%.

It's funny that until too long ago I wasn't sure about Vandy but now I have strong personal reasons to go there if admitted.
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 13:38
vikramjit_01 wrote:
I had my Vandy interview over the telephone on friday with John Roeder, the admissions director. It was a pretty straight forward interview. He introduced himself and told me he only had my resume and that was done on purpose. Then he asked me his questions and in the end I got to ask him some. Then he told me I would know my final application status by early January latest. Later he followed up with an email.

I have been very impressed by the responsiveness I have experienced with Vandy. I submitted my application on Nov. 15 and I have already been interviewed. I once emailed them that I was having problems logging into the application page and got a reply in a couple of hours saying I could log in now and I really could! In the interview I found out that that was because of an unexpectedly large increase in applications this year. I don' remember sorry but I think he said 70%.

It's funny that until too long ago I wasn't sure about Vandy but now I have strong personal reasons to go there if admitted.

I interviewed with John Roeder in September when he was in NYC and actually received a hand-written thank you note from him. How many admissions directors that you know of would do something like that? Then, he followed up with an e-mail giving me the name of the alumnae who happens to be in the same industry and went to the same undergrad i did.

I have only great things to say about John and the school at this point. I will not be surprised if Owen jumps up in rankings within a year or two. They revamped their program, stole away great professors from prominent b-schools and greatly improved career services department.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 14:53
All I can say is that I agree with both of you. The experiences I had at both Owen and UNC seemed very personal. I didn't meet John, but he sounds like he's doing a great job positioning the school. A hand written thank you?, d*mn.
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 15:01
PaulK wrote:
All I can say is that I agree with both of you. The experiences I had at both Owen and UNC seemed very personal. I didn't meet John, but he sounds like he's doing a great job positioning the school. A hand written thank you?, d*mn.

Yeah, after receiving his hand-written note I felt like sh*t about sending him a thank you note via e-mail...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 15:12
nervousgmat wrote:
Yeah, after receiving his hand-written note I felt like sh*t about sending him a thank you note via e-mail...

Hahaha...generational differences.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 03:59
I was just able to email him a little thank you note before I recieved an email from him. It all happened on the same day as the interview. Vandy's fast and right now it seems to be defying rankings because it really deserves to be much higher.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 10:28
The weakness I would imagine that keeps Owen where it is in the rankings is the smaller class sizes and alumni network. It's a nice feature and one of the main reasons I like the school, but if you have fewer students that means fewer alumni.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 20:34
Got the call earlier this evening -- in at Owen with a 50% scholarship to boot!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 22:12
GMATforFal08 wrote:

Congrats GMAT!!! Great to hear!

Any details? What'd they say?

Now you have both Emory and Owen! Nice to have it as your decision!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 04:40
Congrats GMATforFal08! 50% scholarship is great.

R1 MSF decisions are also in. Myself and another GMATclubber are in w/ smaller scholarships. Very exciting :)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 05:51
GMATforFal08 wrote:

GMAT - can you ask what your profile is?
  [#permalink] 20 Dec 2007, 05:51