Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 23:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 17:53
Bokke wrote:
As a UW Bus. undergrad (before it was called Foster), can I ask everyone that applied what attracted you to the school? I would be very interested to know.

I grew up in Bellevue, so part of why I applied to Foster is because it's close to my family. Looking forward, though, I've identified Seattle as a place I would like to work and possibly live long-term. I feel that a Foster MBA would not only give me a strong brand in the Pacific Northwest but also on the West Coast. Had I wanted to settle out east, I may have applied to BC instead. Likewise with Vanderbilt in the south and Indiana in the midwest.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 23:48
I'm in for Round 3, although one of my recommenders was about five hours late - will that be a problem?

http://bent.tw

Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 01:31
prashanthgraj wrote:
Mishari wrote:
today I was offered a scholarship of $ 13,500 !

If I already have an external scholarship that covers full tuition. do i get to keep the 13,500 cash ? :-D

The best part about foster is Seattle .. I LOVE SEATTLE

Hey Mishari,
Congrats on the scholarship!! The scholarship granted will go directly to the Universtiy bursar towards your tution fees.So there is no question of encashing it. If there is such a provision in the external scholarship that you have got, then you have a chance.

With Regards,
Prashanth

When I was an undergrad, I had more scholarship dollars (from UW alone actually, let alone third party) than tuition fees. Everything went straight to the university too. I would just go to the financial aid office every quarter and they'd cut me a check for the remainder. Unless that's changed in the last 5 years or you have a provision in your other scholarship that will not supply excess funds (I had one like that), then I don't see why you won't be able to do the same thing. Hell, UW was even nice enough to apply my "no excess funds" scholarship "first," so I didn't even lose out on that.

BTW, if anyone is in town and wants a tour of the UW bars, send me a PM.
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2 - UW Foster
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2009, 12:57
The Seattle Times had an interesting article today about recruiting for UW MBA and Computer Science students.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/b ... unt19.html

Two excerpts:

(Mods feel free to edit or delete if quotes are too long or not allowed)

1.) "Newly minted MBAs face a job market further complicated by the meltdown of the financial sector, typically a major consumer of business talent.

"Naturally, financial services is kind of in a shambles," said Paula Klempay, director of MBA Career Services at the UW Michael G. Foster School of Business.

The loss of Washington Mutual and Safeco has exacerbated the situation locally. But it's not nearly as big a blow as the collapse of major financial institutions has had on larger East Coast business schools, any of which might typically send several graduates to a firm like Bear Stearns, she said.

Dimmer prospects in finance have caused some MBAs to look at opportunities in other sectors, such as technology. Others are sticking it out."

2.) "Interning is important

Economic conditions also have elevated the importance of internships. More than 80 percent of MBA students are accepting full-time positions in the companies where they did internships, compared with 40 to 50 percent a year ago, said Klempay.

"Because those students are accepting, that means fewer positions came on campus in the fall for forecasted summer hiring," Klempay said. "So it's a little bit of a domino effect."

Intel, for example, offered high praise for UW MBAs but had only internships to offer during fall recruiting, Klempay said.

"That's where a lot of the companies are finding themselves," she said. "It's delightful for them to have these very high internship-conversion rates, and so the rest of the field is sorting itself out now."

Most of the companies signed up for a UW computer-science recruiting fair later this month are offering internships only. The department's fall recruiting event was oversubscribed, Lazowska said.

"Most companies realize that they need to continue to hire interns, even if they're not hiring permanent employees," he said. "Interns become permanent employees a year or two later; if you shut off the internship pipeline, you won't be able to hire when things return to normal."
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 11:57
Still on the waitlist here! :cry:
Has the deposit deadline for R2 passed? I was hoping there would be some movement when they sort out who will attend/who won't.
Anyone else on the waitlist? Any news since?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 13:30
Here are the deposit deadlines:

October 15 applicants:
February 2, 2009

November 15 applicants:
April 1, 2009

January 15 applicants:
May 5, 2009

March 15 applicants:
June 19, 2009

Also the dates for the Admit weekends:

April 9-11, 2009
May 28-30, 2009
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 13:40
Thanks! Wow..that's some crazy deposit deadlines!
For R2 people who found out in January- they get 3 months to decide?! Foster sure is lenient!
Intern
Intern
Schools: UW,EMORY,PENN STATE,ASU

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 01:58
Any international admitted students received the I20 forms?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 03:07
Vol wrote:
Any international admitted students received the I20 forms?

I am an Intl Application from India(R1). I am still waiting!! :(
Intern
Intern
Schools: UW,EMORY,PENN STATE,ASU

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 21:07
I asked and was told it would still take several more weeks till central office reviews my documents.............
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 10:05
I applied for R2 deadline and still in wait list. Got couple of admits from other universities, I planned to wait for one more week. Lately, I started wondering if American MBA is the right choice at this moment.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 08:09
According the Foster's website R3's results are to be announced by this Friday. Good luck to R3 applicants!
Intern
Intern
Schools: R1 - Kellogg, Tuck (W), Yale, Cornell, R2- Haas, Ross, R3 - Foster

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2009, 23:23
Hi I got the mail from Foster at 4 pm PST - I got in!!!

But there is no information on the scholarship - did any of you admitted guys get any information on scholarship in the acceptance e-mail? Please let me know.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2009, 23:08
My scholarship email came a day later than the acceptance email (1/13 and 1/14).
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2009, 17:05
shotgun wrote:
My scholarship email came a day later than the acceptance email (1/13 and 1/14).

Thanks Shotgun!

Also do you know how much is the enrolment deposit?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 16:18
There is a $100 enrollment conformation that is applied towards your tuition. There is also a $425 deposit for the L.E.A.D. week thing. Total of $525 non-refundable.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 16:19
Anyone heading to the April admit weekend?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 10:38
Hey Shotgun - thanks for letting me know about the deposit.

Well yes I am attending admit weekend in April - I live in Seattle so its not much work for me. Are you planning to come?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2009, 14:53
Yea, I'll be there to. I'm also a Washington Resident. We'll see you next week.
Re: Calling all Washington (Foster) Fall 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2009, 14:53