Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 09:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 10:36
jjanders wrote:
I've completed all my essays. Most are final, the outsider essay needs to be reviewed.


Wow congrats man! Krip, if you haven't had a chance to mention your extras anywhere else I would definitely put that in. Otherwise you can use Essay 4 to talk about anything you want...I used the goals essay to tie in my extras to work ex and build the case as to why I want a MBA and am using the optional essay to talk about my college experience. Remember, it's filling any holes that may come across in the app.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 10:44
shmegs wrote:
jjanders wrote:
I've completed all my essays. Most are final, the outsider essay needs to be reviewed.


Wow congrats man! Krip, if you haven't had a chance to mention your extras anywhere else I would definitely put that in. Otherwise you can use Essay 4 to talk about anything you want...I used the goals essay to tie in my extras to work ex and build the case as to why I want a MBA and am using the optional essay to talk about my college experience. Remember, it's filling any holes that may come across in the app.

Edit:

Last edited by kripalkavi on 02 Oct 2007, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 963
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 10:49
kripalkavi wrote:
shmegs wrote:
jjanders wrote:
I've completed all my essays. Most are final, the outsider essay needs to be reviewed.


Wow congrats man! Krip, if you haven't had a chance to mention your extras anywhere else I would definitely put that in. Otherwise you can use Essay 4 to talk about anything you want...I used the goals essay to tie in my extras to work ex and build the case as to why I want a MBA and am using the optional essay to talk about my college experience. Remember, it's filling any holes that may come across in the app.


My goals essay is already 1088 words and my 4th essay is already 549 words....geez...Looks like I'll have to use the optional essay. I wont be plugging a hole perse, but I will be adding another dimension to the app. I'm still a little worried though - the essay explicitly asks for 'extenuating circumstances '...


why dont you put it in the activities section?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 12:05
From what I know, Wharton is very specific about 'extenuating circumstances' for the optional essay. They gave us a chance to write about something unique in essay 4. So I'd say that you should use essay 4 or the activities section to talk about additional dimensions.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 13:57
kripal, the wharton optional essay is ONLY for explaining things like bad GPA, GMAT, resume gap etc.

Dont use it to talk about other activities or hobbies. You are basically disobeying instructions. I dont think it is safe to take such liberties.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 22:10
You guys are absolutely spot on. Thanks for the fantastic advice. I also contacted the Wharton adcom and this is what they had to say:

Quote:
Dear Kripal,

Read the question carefully. If your extra-curriculars answer the
question, fine. If not, do not inlcude them in this essay.

Sincerely,

Wharton MBA Admissions


Which essentially means 'NO' in my case :)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 22:51
kripalkavi wrote:
You guys are absolutely spot on. Thanks for the fantastic advice. I also contacted the Wharton adcom and this is what they had to say:

Quote:
Dear Kripal,

Read the question carefully. If your extra-curriculars answer the
question, fine. If not, do not inlcude them in this essay.

Sincerely,

Wharton MBA Admissions


Which essentially means 'NO' in my case :)


Now the danger for you is that you may tend to force-fit that XC into one of the other essays. Be wary of that. Just my 2 cents.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 23:24
ncprasad wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
You guys are absolutely spot on. Thanks for the fantastic advice. I also contacted the Wharton adcom and this is what they had to say:

Quote:
Dear Kripal,

Read the question carefully. If your extra-curriculars answer the
question, fine. If not, do not inlcude them in this essay.

Sincerely,

Wharton MBA Admissions


Which essentially means 'NO' in my case :)


Now the danger for you is that you may tend to force-fit that XC into one of the other essays. Be wary of that. Just my 2 cents.


Maybe you can refocus essay 4...if you have focused on work in your other essays use it to highlight leadership outside of work. Also, what do you mean by extras? Is it hiking etc...then that can be shown in the app itself but if it's community involvement etc, then maybe you can find a fit. ncprasad is absolutely correct, don't shoe horn it in...
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 08:59
Hi guys I need your thoughts on essay #2. I wrote about my first year of college (a setback to say the least) but I've had mixed reviews about the topic. Most of my reviewers have said that the topic does not meet the "what role did you play" part of it...and they suggested that I refocus it to a failed work experience. Any thoughts?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 09:10
Tough to say without seeing the essay :twisted:

EDIT: Uhhh .. why don't we see the smileys anymore ??
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 195
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 09:13
shmegs wrote:
Hi guys I need your thoughts on essay #2. I wrote about my first year of college (a setback to say the least) but I've had mixed reviews about the topic. Most of my reviewers have said that the topic does not meet the "what role did you play" part of it...and they suggested that I refocus it to a failed work experience. Any thoughts?


I also used an extreme setback from my 2nd year of college.

I'm not sure about it, one because it was so long ago and I feel I should use a more recent work related example, and two, I can use the optional essay (though it has 1/2 the word limit) to explain that situation.

I have an example or two from work I could use, I might write one of them up and see how I feel about it.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:32
Haha yea I don't know why the smileys don't work anymore. I used the essay to talk about how I chose a major (premed *shock*) without properly evaluating what my interests were and then when I struggled with the major I didn't reach out to others (professors, TAs, students) for help. I tied this into what led me to pick my eventual major (which leads into career and post MBA goals) and how I have learned to create a flexible and comprehensive goal path (which again ties into my goals essays) and how this has affected my professional development. Still unsure about it though, as jjanders said I can use the optional essay to discuss any shortcomings in the app and maybe can use an out of work example for a failure. I am a bit hesitant to use another work example because essay 4 (leadership) describes my time at work and the only other times when out of work stuff is mentioned is in one paragraph of my goals essay and the outsider essay,
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 195
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:34
Ah, see both my outsider essay and Essay 4 is focused on out of work stuff....so the work focused essay for me is the goals essay. Hence why I might want to use the failure essay to talk about a project at work which I struggled with.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 05:24
For outsider essay, can I write my experience as a non-drinker before I turned to drinking? :wink:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 08:16
aurobindo wrote:
For outsider essay, can I write my experience as a non-drinker before I turned to drinking? :wink:


Lol, only if you include your Tavern experiences. I've sent out my final (hopefully) drafts for review...hope to finish up the essays this week.
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 07:42
shmegs wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
For outsider essay, can I write my experience as a non-drinker before I turned to drinking? :wink:


Lol, only if you include your Tavern experiences. I've sent out my final (hopefully) drafts for review...hope to finish up the essays this week.


Even I sent my essays for review. But I don't think I would be able to finish up the essays even this month :(
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 526
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 02:24
According to Wharton's Admissions Board, "not all universities award GPAs, class division, or class rank; applicants do not need to calculate any of these items if they are not reported by their universities".
Do you count your GPA regardless what Wharton says?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 101
Schools: Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Wharton - general management? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2007, 17:50
How is Wharton ranked for general management? I heard Wharton is more of Finance than general management... is this true?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 526
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 00:40
nick_sun wrote:
According to Wharton's Admissions Board, "not all universities award GPAs, class division, or class rank; applicants do not need to calculate any of these items if they are not reported by their universities". Do you count your GPA regardless what Wharton says?


So guys, is it preferrable to calculate GPAs (if your institution does not provide them in official transcript) or not to calculate them? Will the Admissions Board consider it unnecessary efforts if I calculate GPAs on my own?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2007, 02:02
nick_sun wrote:
nick_sun wrote:
According to Wharton's Admissions Board, "not all universities award GPAs, class division, or class rank; applicants do not need to calculate any of these items if they are not reported by their universities". Do you count your GPA regardless what Wharton says?


So guys, is it preferrable to calculate GPAs (if your institution does not provide them in official transcript) or not to calculate them? Will the Admissions Board consider it unnecessary efforts if I calculate GPAs on my own?


I would say, do not calculate the GPAs. Everything I have read pretty much says that...
  [#permalink] 24 Sep 2007, 02:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
14 Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants rrajiv 1264 09 Aug 2007, 19:06
Calling all Duke 2008 applicants... lanter1 440 08 Aug 2007, 08:30
1 Calling all Yale 2008 applicants jsnooky33 392 03 Aug 2007, 20:58
2 Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants jsnooky33 855 03 Aug 2007, 17:59
6 Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants yogeshsheth 563 17 Jul 2007, 19:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  64    Next  [ 1265 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.