Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 07:05
elhajoui wrote:
Guys, I am so excited about Wharton and I really look forward to it!!!


Hey elhajoui, glad to hear you'll be joining the class!! Yes, I'm definitely matriculating and will be at WWW. I'm really excited to meet all you gmatclubbers! Seems like it'll be a really fun and packed weekend!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 12:39
Elhajoui, are you French-speaking? Because only a French speaker could understand the joke in your name :)
_________________

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 467
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 09:43
I would like to dispell the myth about snobbish Wharton MBA's.

I have gotten so much support from Wharton's community in the last several days! People are VERY eager to help. Wharton is definitely a supportive environment.
_________________

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2008, 08:00
Gee, what happened to this topic??

How was welcome week-end? Did anyone secure an apartment?

I'm still looking, but not easy to secure a deal without being there...
_________________

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 06:45
I didn't go to the welcome weekend, I went down the weekend before. I've found an apartment at the Wanamaker House, did it through e-talk. Audio, if you want to do things remotely I really liked 1500 Locust as well, it's a great building, and the apartments are very nice as well. Just make sure you get a place above the 25th floor...I know of a few students who will be staying there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 07:15
shmegs wrote:
I didn't go to the welcome weekend, I went down the weekend before. I've found an apartment at the Wanamaker House, did it through e-talk. Audio, if you want to do things remotely I really liked 1500 Locust as well, it's a great building, and the apartments are very nice as well. Just make sure you get a place above the 25th floor...I know of a few students who will be staying there.


Hey shmegs, I'm looking at 1600 Walnut. Almost secured a deal at the Wanamaker, but the realtor from Allan Domb wanted a contract starting on June 15 - not doable for me. How's the wanamaker? Must be a great building...
_________________

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 13:16
Audio,

I like the Wanamaker a lot, Allen Domb is very tough to deal with...no negotiations etc. The building itself is very nice, great location plus the views are amazing. Large windows are a big deal to me so I like that. 1600 Walnut also looks good, personally in terms of buildings I liked 1500 Locust and the Wanamaker the best. Both have really nice conference rooms, gyms, and pools. The one big plus for 1500 Locust vs. Wanamaker is that the washer/dryer is in unit. I haven't seen 1600 Walnut, I'm just going by the housing guide. Honestly I think that there are maybe 6 buildings that are nice in center city (other than the really expensive ones, Aria etc.), take a look at the Tourraine, you can check it out online...it's really nice as well. I ended up signing a lease starting on the 18th of July, wanted to get in a week before pre term starts. When do you want to move in?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 192
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 18:21
shmegs wrote:
Audio,

I like the Wanamaker a lot, Allen Domb is very tough to deal with...no negotiations etc. The building itself is very nice, great location plus the views are amazing. Large windows are a big deal to me so I like that. 1600 Walnut also looks good, personally in terms of buildings I liked 1500 Locust and the Wanamaker the best. Both have really nice conference rooms, gyms, and pools. The one big plus for 1500 Locust vs. Wanamaker is that the washer/dryer is in unit. I haven't seen 1600 Walnut, I'm just going by the housing guide. Honestly I think that there are maybe 6 buildings that are nice in center city (other than the really expensive ones, Aria etc.), take a look at the Tourraine, you can check it out online...it's really nice as well. I ended up signing a lease starting on the 18th of July, wanted to get in a week before pre term starts. When do you want to move in?


Audio and shmegs,

Just got back from WW - what a blast! Did get tired of the extreme 'networking', but overall it so worth the 16 hr plane jouney.

shmegs, I too will be at the Wannamaker - 29th floor. Totally agree about the comments on Allan domb, hence I connected straight with the owner. Signed the lease before I left. Very happy with my decision.

In addition to the places that you guys mentioned, the other places that I really like were 1700 walnut, Locust on the Park and Versailles. I have heard Riverloft is good as well. Really depends what you are looking for.

Shmegs, what floor are you on? I have connected with 3 other new admits with signed leases at the Wannamaker. All of them are have studios, but I got a 2-2.

Looking forward to pre-term!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 18:57
DJM,

Haha I think I looked at that apartment, did you rent from Anne? I got a 1-1 on the 14th floor. Couldn't find any other listings for a 1-1, so I guess I'll be stuck a full 15 floors below you, lol. I looked at Riverloft, aside from being crazy expensive 1900+ for a 1-1.5 the 12-14' ceilings just make the living space look like a large box. I'm also glad I was able to work around Allan Domb and get a place directly through the owner.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 19:05
did anyone who went to wharton weekend hear anything about the app numbers, yield, waitlist info? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 192
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2008, 23:15
shmegs wrote:
DJM,

Haha I think I looked at that apartment, did you rent from Anne? I got a 1-1 on the 14th floor. Couldn't find any other listings for a 1-1, so I guess I'll be stuck a full 15 floors below you, lol. I looked at Riverloft, aside from being crazy expensive 1900+ for a 1-1.5 the 12-14' ceilings just make the living space look like a large box. I'm also glad I was able to work around Allan Domb and get a place directly through the owner.


Yep - I sure did. Now, I am looking to find a roomate to share this with. I think I met a few at the WW that I could share this with.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2008, 20:53
Yes, I heard the following
- Apps are up over 10% and have reached 7,350 for all three rounds
- Rumors that deferals will be "encouraged" this year - whatever this means.

DARN. That means I could potentially defer and play the H/S lottery once more
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 467
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 18:11
elhajoui wrote:
DARN. That means I could potentially defer and play the H/S lottery once more
Wharton helped you to stay away from gambling, elhajoui :-D
_________________

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 18:19
elhajoui wrote:
Yes, I heard the following
- Apps are up over 10% and have reached 7,350 for all three rounds
- Rumors that deferals will be "encouraged" this year - whatever this means.

DARN. That means I could potentially defer and play the H/S lottery once more


Wow this means even less acceptances next year. Great. Especially sucks for the bankers getting laid off, still sucks for everyone else as well.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 23:57
Those who went to Wharton Welcome Weeken remember we were given the list of the 800 or so attendants (including partners). Anyway, I took a random page with about 55 names and decided to see which colleges where most represented (excluding international universities). There were a total of 47 U.S. colleges, broken down as follows. I can't give more info, because I assume it would be unethical to do so.

Ivy League schools - 17 people (36%)

Top 5 U.S. News public schools - 10 people (21%)

[b] Top 20 U.S. News colleges - 7 people (15%)

[b] Top 40 U.S. News colleges - 7 people (15%)

[b] Other schools
-6 people (13%)

Hope this helps...

M.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2008, 05:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys! I'm glad to hear everyone had a great time at WWW. I know i did!! I definitely came away more confident and excited about Wharton and was completely amazed by how accomplished all the admits are.

btw, elhajoui - i would be one of those "i-never-heard-of-your-undergrad" people and was quite impressed to meet quite a few others in the same situation. Just goes to show that the school cares more about what you've done with your life than simply what school you went to. So future applicants, take heart!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2008, 09:49
To be honest, the people who went to a no-name-undergrad blew me away - they had accomplished so much more than I had. In addition, they had to work so hard to get where they are, unlike us lazy Ivy Leaguers :-). I hope to meet you soon. I just hope my visa is processed on time - I am from an Arab country :cry:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 962
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2008, 09:56
elhajoui wrote:
To be honest, the people who went to a no-name-undergrad blew me away - they had accomplished so much more than I had. In addition, they had to work so hard to get where they are, unlike us lazy Ivy Leaguers :-). I hope to meet you soon. I just hope my visa is processed on time - I am from an Arab country :cry:

what is considered a no-name undergrad?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2008, 17:13
dabots wrote:
elhajoui wrote:
To be honest, the people who went to a no-name-undergrad blew me away - they had accomplished so much more than I had. In addition, they had to work so hard to get where they are, unlike us lazy Ivy Leaguers :-). I hope to meet you soon. I just hope my visa is processed on time - I am from an Arab country :cry:

what is considered a no-name undergrad?


I went to one haha. I would say a complete no name is one when people read through the class profile will be like where the heck is that. Cant be found on any rankings and wouldnt be a large state university.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2008, 17:28
I'd say on the list, around 20% had a listed a school that was not a USNews top 30 undergrad

Sample of people on "Wharton 2010" facebook group (U.S. schools only) - first three pages displayed (alphabetically): Harvard, Univ. of Chicago, Cornell, Princeton, UVA, Emory, UNC, Univ. of Pennsylvania, Harvard, Berkeley, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, Harvard, Brown, Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Caltech, Univ. of Illinois, UT-Austin, Amherst, Duke, Yale, Williams, Princeton, George Washington Univ., Harvard, Harvard, Univ. of Pennsylvania

I am not trying to make a point...In fact, I wish the class was more diverse in terms of school backgrounds! It would be nice to see as much diversity as possible!
Re: Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2008, 17:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
14 Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants rrajiv 1264 09 Aug 2007, 19:06
Calling all Duke 2008 applicants... lanter1 440 08 Aug 2007, 08:30
1 Calling all Yale 2008 applicants jsnooky33 392 03 Aug 2007, 20:58
2 Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants jsnooky33 855 03 Aug 2007, 17:59
6 Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants yogeshsheth 563 17 Jul 2007, 19:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64    Next  [ 1265 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.