Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 22:15
wp06,

I wish you the best of luck. I'm with you in that GMAT is just a data point. Also, let's be clear of one thing, you have something most candidates don't - "real on the line leadership experience". We've all led teams, non-profits, family business, but heck, most of us were playing beer pong while you were serving in the trenches. So you've got something going for you bud, just know your strengths.

Last year, I applied for R2 and was wait-listed at a couple of top 10 programs (GMAT last year was a 640). From my experience, in R2 ad-com is less willing to take chances. They're attitude is to wait and see what comes along in R3. Most Einstein's wait and apply in R3. R1 is blank canvas, so you have that going for you.

Given your experience, I bet your goals are refined and you will be able to present them clearly. You've served from age 17 through 26. Just bring those experiences out on paper.

If you can take the time to retake the GMAT (take the time to retake - haha, idiomatic tongue twister ain't it!!!), do so by all means. A 700+ application in R2 may be stronger than a mid-600s (this is where you decide when you want to roll the dice). I took the Knewton prep course and found it very helpful (let me be clear rite now, I do not work for them - this is honestly my own opinion). I moved my score from a mid 600s to a 710.

Good luck bud. It'll all work out, it always does. :)

wp06 wrote:
I realize I was wrong, I have been super stressed and I am sure you have been as well.

Leaving the Army is a tough transition, and that is where I have to admit you struck a nerve with the inferiority complex. All I have known since I was 17-26 was the Army. I am intimidated by the process and yes that makes me nervous.

After reading our post again, I realized what you were saying and that I am wrong. I am definitely working on my GMAT, if I did not think it was important I would definitely not study as hard as I have been.

I am trying to go for programs that will make me become a better person and leader as well as learning critical skills.

I am realistic about my chances if my GMAT does not improve. Initially I was much more reserved in schools I was shooting for. I consulted with Alex, MBA Apply, and he told me I was selling myself short that I should shoot for some pretty crazy schools. So that also partially fueled my belief is other factors helping. But as you said, it only helps to a certain extent.

Right now I am applying to Wharton, MIT, and either NYU/Columbia (doing a visit during my leave in September) as reach schools

Duke, Cornell, and Georgetown (reach + a little luck)

So there is my life story out there. I think I have done with the essays, an old Army buddy of mine who is at MIT Sloan helped me revise them a bit and I am very confident in the essays and my work recommendations / awards and stuff.

I am going at the GMAT again soon, had to cancel a recent retake appointment at the last second due to a last minute change in training.

I hope the essays are going well for you and that you will not have ot waste any more time on these forums in stupid rant battles. I am embarassed for doing that, considering I am 26 and a veteran and should display much more maturity.

Best of luck. Hope to see you at Wharton (I believe in myself despite the mediocre score). Once again, my only original intent when this all started was to try to help out the 690 scorer, then things got dumb which was just as much my fault as anyone else's.

Take care
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD Class of J'12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 12:57
Hi,

People who are applying for Lauder as well, have you finished your OPI test??

Mine is scheduled for next Friday and am anxious to know what kind of Qs they ask and how does the conversation move along generally.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:23
I'm headed to the campus visit on Monday 09/20/2010. Anyone else from here going? Really wanted to go on Thursday to partake in Pub Thursday but schedule wouldn't allow for it :(

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:39
I'm in for round 2. Debating if and when to do a campus visit.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 16:55
In for R1. please update roll call!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 05:06
I'm in for Round 1.

Question on campus visits: the only time I can get to campus would be a Friday. I noticed on the website that there really isn't a whole lot going on during Fridays. Is it even worth it to stop by? My gut says yes, and I want to see the school. I guess what I am really wondering is if there is going to be any school related things going on that I would be able to see on my visit?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 30

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 20:57
applying in Round1
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 21:13
If any of you are visiting Wharton, feel free to hit me up! Would be more than happy to give you my perspective.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 02:00
I'm confused about how to upload my University transcripts

According to their Application Requirements section
http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admiss ... nts.cfm#a5

Transcripts

Transcripts of all academic work completed at the baccalaureate/undergraduate level and beyond, whether or not for credit or a degree, are required. Grades or marks may be self-reported on our online transcript template, with official documents required upon admissions and matriculation.

but in the International Applicants section:
http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admiss ... icants.cfm

Submit only official academic records from educational institutions to the Wharton School. Official records are defined as original documents issued by the institution and bearing the actual (not photocopied) signature of the registrar and the institutional seal. Records issued only once by institutions should be photocopied and certified as official copies either by school officials or legal authorities such as embassies or notaries public. Please do not send the original of an academic record that cannot be replaced.

If you have attended more than one institution, submit official records from each institution, with the exception of study-abroad programs that are listed on your official undergraduate transcripts. If academic records and diplomas are not issued in English by the institution, submit both the official record and an authorized English translation.

All translations should be complete and literal renditions of the original record. Records should show the date of enrollment, courses taken, units of credit or time allotted to each subject during each term or year, your marks or ratings in each subject, and, if available, your rank in the total class or group.

I've sent them an email but no answer :(

Any thoughts?

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 02:47
rid82 wrote:
I'm confused about how to upload my University transcripts

According to their Application Requirements section
http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admiss ... nts.cfm#a5

Transcripts

Transcripts of all academic work completed at the baccalaureate/undergraduate level and beyond, whether or not for credit or a degree, are required. Grades or marks may be self-reported on our online transcript template, with official documents required upon admissions and matriculation.

but in the International Applicants section:
http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admiss ... icants.cfm

Submit only official academic records from educational institutions to the Wharton School. Official records are defined as original documents issued by the institution and bearing the actual (not photocopied) signature of the registrar and the institutional seal. Records issued only once by institutions should be photocopied and certified as official copies either by school officials or legal authorities such as embassies or notaries public. Please do not send the original of an academic record that cannot be replaced.

If you have attended more than one institution, submit official records from each institution, with the exception of study-abroad programs that are listed on your official undergraduate transcripts. If academic records and diplomas are not issued in English by the institution, submit both the official record and an authorized English translation.

All translations should be complete and literal renditions of the original record. Records should show the date of enrollment, courses taken, units of credit or time allotted to each subject during each term or year, your marks or ratings in each subject, and, if available, your rank in the total class or group.

I've sent them an email but no answer :(

Any thoughts?

You can do this in two ways:
1. First, self-report using the form Wharton provides; then if you are admitted, submit official transcripts with authorized translations. This saves money as you do not have to pay associated fees before you know the end result of your effort.
2. If you already have the official transcripts with authorized translations, submit them directly. This saves time, as you do not have to fill out the self-report form.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 182 [1] , given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
cpandya14 wrote:
Hi,

People who are applying for Lauder as well, have you finished your OPI test??

Mine is scheduled for next Friday and am anxious to know what kind of Qs they ask and how does the conversation move along generally.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!!

I took my OPI test a couple of weeks back. Its just basically a half an hour conversation - my tester asked me about my personal life and my views on current events and basically it was a mix between an interview and a social conversation. I have to say I was surprised with my score - scored higher than I expected which is a good thing I guess. :)

Good luck!

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 13:52
thanks staind... I really appreciate your feedback.

It seems there isn't much info about the OPI on the net and hence I was a bit anxious.

I hope to score good.. lets see.. btw, which language did you take the test in?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 13:56
No worries! I had the same issue of having no clue what to expect from the test and I wasn't sure how to prepare.

I took the test in Hindi. I studied the language in school but have not spoken the language on a regular basis in years so I was very rusty. Actually my plan was to take the test and then prepare for it based on what they tested on and then retake it but luckily that won't be necessary!

Which language are you taking?

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 14:02
French.. and I also feel I am very rusty as have not really done much after A levels apart from occassional speaking when in France. Have same strategy as you to see how it goes tomorrow and may be take again later on...

Hindi.. this is first year right? So must be very competitive..
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 17:53
I'm sure you're fine if you've done till A levels.. I did hindi only till O levels!

Yeah I'm not sure how competitive it will be.. either way I'm sure it will be hard to get in to.. as if getting in to just Wharton wasn't hard enough!

Are you done with the two essays? I'm struggling a little bit with the first one - having been used to multicultural settings all my life I've never really felt "challenged" by any particular experience.

Good luck for the test.. try finding someone you can have a half an hour conversation with in French.. that should be apt practice.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 17:06
anyone submitted?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 17:20
whiteberry wrote:
anyone submitted?

Working on the essays, have requested recos, started filling out the application. But no, nowhere close to submission yet!

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 17:45
Everything ready except recs.... clicking in "reminder" every 3 days...

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 20:16
Submitted on Monday (9/13)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 10:59
Count me in for Round 1.

All done with essays, working on filling in the application. Recs should be in within a week. Hoping to submit around 9/27.
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2010, 10:59