Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
today has been a crazy day. first, my phone charger has not been working for the last 2 days, and my phone officially ran out of battery this morning. also, i have been driving the whole day, so this is my first time at the computer since about 10am. i just checked my email, got the status update, and figured it'd be a waitlist or ding because i didn't think my interview went that well.

end result: I am IN at Wharton. Time to pop some champagne!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
Just saw this post on businessweek and figured people here would benefit from this info. The source is FanaticalFan, a poster from S2S and BW that is somehow affiliated with Wharton:

"http://s2s.wharton.upenn.edu/wh-wharton/messages/?msg=17204 - Wharton 2005 / 06 Waitlist Discussion
http://s2s.wharton.upenn.edu/wh-wharton ... ?msg=17204 - Wharton 2006 / 07 Waitlist Discussion

Couple of interesting points

"Wharton has been so open about their process - why being so unjust about waitlisted candidates. Please let us know how you decide to pick the waitlisted guys

1) Do you pool them with the R2 interviewed candidates to pick up the best candidates?
1A) Is there any differentiating factors over those candidates - are waitlisted candidates treated equally/below/above the R2 interviewed candidates

2) or do you pool R2 interviewed candidates and pick up your best candidates first, and then pool the remaining candidates and waitlisted candidates to see whom to pick?

Thanks in advance."

"Definitely more like 1. One of the reasons for the waitlist is to deal with uncertainty as to application numbers and quality between rounds, until adcom can see what R2 is really like. We want to ensure that an application of given quality stands an even chance in either round. Normally a considerable number of R1 waitlists are admitted in R2.

I know waitlist sucks, but I don't think there's anything unjust about the process

FF"
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 17:21
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks jjright...that was actually my post on bw...haha but thanks for posting it here too

I've decided to join this forum because it's more active it seems like!

I also have these following thoughts...

So I'm thinking...these are the possible outcomes for R1 WLers...(please feel free to comment)

Admitted in R2 (I would say significant portion - explained below)
Denied in R2 - (These would be the ones who they realized after all, aren't as strong as R2 candidates or other R1 WL candidates)
Continue WL in R2 - (I'm thinking small numbers as these people are the 'borderline' candidates that would need to be judged after R3)
Remove / Withdrawal of R1 WL - (possible as quite a few would have accepted other top schools and need to pay deposit / could not be bothered waiting)

I mean I keep on thinking, they must see something they like otherwise they would just ding me and not bother waitlisting me in R1 right?

So the question is, would R2 applicants be much higher quality than I am? Not necessarily...

I think alot comes down to who applies in R2 e.g. are there people similar in background to you but who is just slightly better in everything? What is their diversity pool like in R2? (i.e. minorities etc)? What can you offer that is not offered by R2 candidates?

The adcoms would have read your application many times by R2....I think that's a good thing. You've left an impression but they're not sure until they can compare you with the rest. You're probably in their minds already...they can't find a real reason to ding you unless they find someone else who is has similar experience but better...

I also think, they probably WL more people in R1 (especially this year) because they want to make sure they get the best and right candidates so they need to evaluate R2 first before they can fully make an informed decision. The conclusion is, R1 WL is better than R2 WL. For me, R1 WL is to make sure they can find the best quality students whereas R2 WL is more for yield purposes...not sure if that's true but it sounds logical?

But maybe this is just wishful thinking.

Enough thinking! Even though W is my first option, gotta be practical and get on with R2 applications!!

Good luck everyone!~

-------------------
Don't Worry, Be Happy!
-------------------

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2009, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, I know it's hard, but don't freak out about interviews. If you read back to R1 in this thread, Wharton said they'd start sending out interviews on Oct 23. The first news of an interview anywhere was Oct 27. The first GMATClub interview came out Oct. 29. The flood of interviews didn't start coming until around Nov 4.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2009, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
As difficult as it may be, try not to speculate!! All of these signs mean absolutely nothing.

Case in point is me: All the way till 3PM on the decision day, I had not recieved either a call, nor a congratulatory email. By this time, many people of this forum and on bweek were reporting admit calls from adcomm, calls from current students etc from the previous day!

In fact my decision still said "Invite to Interview" all the way till the end I think..until FINALLY at 3.30PM I just get a simple status change message from Wharton. I check it, expecting to see a ding letter but instead the status says "Congratulations!".

Lesson learnt: Don't think about all of these small signs and wait it out till the decision day. And even IF you dont get a call, that doesn't mean its over!!
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 17:56
Let's rock n roll!
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 18:04
good luck to all
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 18:57
My #2 choice right now, I'll be applying R1.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 01:34
Will be applying, depending onmy GMAT score..
Its a long shot as of now...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 10:18
what concentrations are you all looking at?

I'm thinking of healthcare mgmt and finance...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2008, 12:20
I'm in! Lets do this and do this right Wharton all the way!!!!

On a mission to save the world

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2008, 21:55
If you guys have any questions about the Wharton application process, school visits etc. I'd be happy to help.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2008, 03:47
shmegs wrote:
If you guys have any questions about the Wharton application process, school visits etc. I'd be happy to help.

would you mind critiquing my approach/topics for Wharton's 09 essay questions?
if you're willing, I'll PM you what I plan to write about :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2008, 03:51
shmegs wrote:

Thanks shmegs
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2008, 04:00
shmegs wrote:

Thanks for the offer shmegs

On a mission to save the world

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2008, 11:11
I think I'm in for R1. I'm kinda nervous because this and SGSB are schools that I did not visit. I also don't know any current members of the Wharton community, so I'm expecting some inferior essays. We'll see how it turns out though!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2008, 16:48
shmegs wrote:

thanks shmegs!

Did you visit Wharton prior to applying? If so, suggestions on the best time to go?

cheers,
ac.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 05:41
ac8706 wrote:
shmegs wrote:

thanks shmegs!

Did you visit Wharton prior to applying? If so, suggestions on the best time to go?

cheers,
ac.

No I didn't visit the school before applying, I was in India for a year and couldn't make the trip. I did attend the university events and spoke with some students in order to try to get a feel about the school. If you call Wharton admissions, 215.898.6183, there is an option to schedule an on-campus visit. I think that organized on-campus visits should start, after the pre-term ends, in September, which leaves plenty of time before the R1 deadline. If any of y'all are headed over to visit the school PM me, hopefully I'll know enough by then to show you around.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 18:21
thanks shmegs! Will definitely keep everyone posted about any plans to visit.

they haven't yet posted any dates for their info sessions in the US this year - I'm almost thinking those might be easier to get to! Will keep an eye out for those as well :)

cheers,
ac.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 04:58
I'll be joining you all too. Good luck.
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2008, 04:58