Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:57

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [2] , given: 31

Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 17:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
WHARTON Fall 2009 Applicants:

Round 1:
Total Applicants 62
Admits: 13 (2 WL converted in R2)
Waitlist: 18
Dings: 24 (4 dinged off WL in R2)
Unknown: 10

zoinnk - accepted and Matriculating
businessm - accepted
CompanyMan - accepted
Virflo - accepted
Mikus - accepted
goldfishee27 - accepted
sterny - accepted
sebycb976 - accepted
jjright - accepted
chifootball - accepted
(Withdrawn for Kellogg)
msday86 - accepted (Withdrawn for HBS)
Pathfinder_77 - Waitlisted – accepted R2
falibay - Waitlisted – accepted R2
isa (fka ac) - Waitlisted – dinged R2
vijapp - Waitlisted – dinged R2
wolffali - Waitlisted – dinged R2
Madz - Waitlisted – dinged R2
bdog9 - Waitlisted
bostonsparky - Waitlisted
chickmagloor - Waitlisted
coadman - Waitlisted
companyman - Waitlisted
cougarblue - Waitlisted
emirtumen - Waitlisted
garbus222 - Waitlisted
Milspec - Waitlisted
ndiaconu - Waitlisted
nj24 - Waitlisted
u0388768 - Waitlisted

chitchat - Dinged
cpgmba - Dinged
DimeCFH - Dinged
garun77 - Dinged
Gil - Dinged
gt7er - Dinged
jigar34 - Dinged
maverick2011 - Dinged
MeddlingKid - Dinged
Meowzilla (k88) - Dinged
Legend - Dinged
Leverandon - Dinged
levfin2003 - Dinged
liquidice - Dinged
lsuguy7 - Dinged
ral - Dinged
sept09 - Dinged
Snayt - Dinged
sonibubu - Dinged
tarmac - Dinged
terp26 - Dinged
Walker - Dinged
wooster123 - Dinged

amatory
angryMOFO Invited to Interview
bschoolguy Invited to Interview - 11/4
BSchoolorBust Invited to Interview
Captain Invited to Interview - 11/5
CaptainMolecule
charlieb
gregory Invited to Interview 11/12
MattG2185 Invited to Interview
mbabiden08 Invited to Interview

Round 2:
Total Applicants 35
Admits: 7
Waitlist: 10
Dings: 10
Unknown: 8

Paradosso - Admitted
Hardestadt- Admitted
pallavi79us - Admitted
TheGuy – Admitted
Rosav – Admitted
Zoemoe – Admitted
Matterhorn762 – Admitted

mikenyc - Waitlisted
pu2003 - Waitlisted
MBAAspirant2008 – Waitlisted
hobart – Waitlisted
sajal09 – Waitlisted
mbafwi – Waitlisted
sset009 – Waitlisted
gixxer1000 – Waitlisted
foodstamp – Waitlisted
ashaker – Waitlisted

syd999 – Dinged w/interview
pguard – Dinged w/interview
Magellan – Dinged
Refurb – Dinged w/out interview
Balboa – Dinged
bucktooth911– Dinged
dglasser – Dinged w/out interview
fall09 – Dinged w/out interview
gboi – Dinged w/out interview
AlbertNTN – Dinged w/o interview

arshia22 - interview invite
davidbrent - interview invite
dp122008 - interview invite
ma.agrawal - interview invite
oziozzie - interview invite
stopper5
sudhir18n
woncosmo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STATISTICS & GENERAL INFO

2008 R1 GMATClub Stats:

Applicants: 18
Admitted: 3 (16.7%)
Waitlisted: 2 (11%)
Dinged With Interview: 5 (28%)
Dinged Without Interview: 8 (45%)

Last Years TOTAL GMATClub Wharton Stats:

Applied: 49
Accepted: 5 (10%)
Rejected: 29 (60%)
Waitlisted: 5 (10%)
Unknown: 10 (20%)

Wharton Fall 2009 Admission: Application Deadlines

Round 1: Thursday, 9 October, 2008
Round 2: Thursday, 8 January, 2009
Round 3: Thursday, 5 March, 2009
Wharton Fall 2009 Admission: Application Essay Questions

First-Time Applicant Questions

1. Describe your career progress to date and your future short-term and long-term career goals. How do you expect an MBA from Wharton to help you achieve these goals, and why is now the best time for you to join our program? (1,000 words)

2. Describe a setback or a failure that you have experienced. What role did you play, and what did you learn about yourself? (500 words)

3. Where in your background would we find evidence of your leadership capacity and/or potential? (500 words)

4. Please respond to one (1) of the following questions:

a. Describe an experience you have had innovating or initiating, your lessons learned, the results and impact of your efforts. (500 words)

b. Is there anything about your background or experience that you feel you have not had the opportunity to share with the Admissions Committee in your application? If yes, please explain. (500 words)

OPTIONAL: If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, TOEFL waiver request, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weaknesses in your application). (250 words, maximum)

Reapplicant Questions (for candidates who have applied for admission for Fall 2008 or 2007 only)

1. Describe your career progress to date and your future short-term and long-term career goals. How do you expect an MBA from Wharton to help you achieve these goals, and why is now the best time for you to join our program? How has your candidacy improved since the last time you applied? (1,000 words)

2. Describe an experience you have had innovating or initiating, your lessons learned, the results and impact of your efforts. (500 words)

3. Please respond to one (1) of the following questions:
a. Where in your background would we find evidence of your leadership capacity and/or potential? (500 words)
b. Is there anything about your background or experience that you feel you have not had the opportunity to share with the Admissions Committee in your application? If yes, please explain. (500 words)

OPTIONAL: If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, TOEFL waiver request, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weaknesses in your application). (250 words, maximum)

Link to the 08 thread: http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50294

Here we go!
good luck everyone :)
ac.

Last edited by foodstamp on 19 Feb 2009, 13:12, edited 36 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [7] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 12:30
This post received
KUDOS
For those of you applying, here's a quick "insider" view of the cohort and learning team system at Wharton.

Cohorts are simply groups of students, basically put. We are 800 students, and are divided in 12 cohorts of roughly 60 - 70 students. You take all your core classes with your cohort. The cohorts are created by the school's administration: they claim to put a lot of thought in diversity in terms of previous jobs, geography and gender. From what i gather they have actually done a pretty decent job (except that there is a cohort with an abnormal number of hotties, and of course I'm not in it :-D ).

Inside that cohort, you will be divided into learning teams of 5 or 6 students: all the teamwork will be done with that learning team. Again, there are rules when they create these learning teams: there will always be at least a girl in each group and at least an international student (my group is composed of 4 guys and 2 girls, one of the girls and I are international, although the girl actually lived in the US for quite a while).

Now there are pros and cons to this system: the pros are that you get to meet people quite quickly and easily. You'll know the people from your cohort very well, but you'll probably not know other people from other cohorts very well (more on this further though). This creates a sense of community and it's a nice and easy way to get to know people. People do a lot of stuff together and that's nice (like cohort B-Day celebrations, dinners, drinks, excursions, etc). For example my best friend here is in my learning team (again, more on this later). The learning team principle is also a great way of learning to work with people you don't know at all and who come from very different backgrounds and have different working styles and aspirations - this might sound like bullshit but it's true, trust me.

Now the cons: well, the cons are pretty obvious: if you don't like your cohort, you're pretty much f***ed. But to be honest, if out of 65 people you don't like anybody, you're most probably a weirdo. Also, some might argue that they don't the idea of getting to know 60 people very well and not knowing anybody else. That's a valid point, but I disagree with it: if you're not going to get implicated in anything, then yes, it'll be a problem. But if you get involved in stuff that you like (sports, professional clubs, the opportunities are litterally endless) then you'll meet by efinition other people from other cohorts with the same interest as you. In my case my best friends here are part of the rugby team and the soccer team. The guy on my learning team plays both like me.

Now more on the learning team: as mentioned previously, the learning team principle is also a great way of learning to work with people you don't know at all and who come from very different backgrounds and have different working styles and aspirations. And believe me, people will be VERY different: some will not really care about academics and just want to get involved in EC stuff (sports, pro clubs, partying, whatever) - this is me and my mate - and then you'll have people very focused on the academics. Sometimes working in that kind of environment is challenging, but you do learn a lot in terms of compromises, etc. It's actually harder IMO than the professional environment, because (in theory) everybody wants to do well in their pro lives; over here it's not the case (if you compare academics with professinoal success) - I hope you're catching my drift.

Now the cons for the learning team principle are the same than for the cohort: if you don't like the people in your learning team (and that can certainly happen, as opposed to your cohort), you're doomed to spend a shitty year on the academics point of view. Some claim that there's a lesson to that - working with people you don't like - and they have a point. But that doesn't improve you life now does it? This unfortunately DOES happen, I've heard some (not a lot though) horror stories. The good thing is that these learning teams are constantly monitored by 2nd year students that are trained for that (and they globally do a good job). My team is great on that point of view though: we managed to find a good balance despite the (very) different aspirations and we work very efficiently together. Moreover our team got closer over the months once we really got to know each other, which is nice (crazy nights around the blackjack and poker table in AC did help though).

Another con of the learning team is that you might have an alpha male or female trying to dictate everything in the group. Trust me, this WILL happen is some groups(this is Business School after all, there are a lot of alpha types around). It's tough to manage those kind of situations, but it's a learning process I reckon (but it still doesn't make your life any better).

All in all, I'm in very favour of both the cohort system and in favour of the learning team system (although less). I guess it's like in everything: there'll always be bad experiences, but the benefits of this system outweigh the inconveniences of the minority.

Anyway, I hope this helps! If you have any other questions about this stuff or if there's points I haven't covered, shoot away.

PS: sorry for the (very) disorganised post, I can't be arsed to improve it.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2009, 17:59
This post received
KUDOS
foodstamp wrote:
syd999 wrote:
foodstamp wrote:
I got an interview invite! :-D

WOW - I totally gave up on Wharton last night.

what did I tell ya :)

Whew... I am glad you were right!

Are you still going to write a debrief? I am definitely waiting for it!

Its 2 AM in Europe and I am still awake because of some serious jetlag, so here goes ;) :

After a co-worker told me he had scheduled a R1 interview on campus and said it took only 20 minutes, I knew I wanted to do an alumni interview for a few reasons:

1) I felt I didn't have as strong as an application as him and viewed the interview as an opportunity to strengthen my application (Incidentally, my co-worker was accepted and is matriculating at W). I needed more than 20 minutes to explain my case.

2) I didn't think it was worth the money to fly to Philly and visit te school just yet; If i get accepted, I will definitely do it then knowing my $$ are being put to good use.

3) I felt an alumnus could give a better perspective of student life , employment opportunities, classroom experience etc. than a member of adcom.

4) I was informed by several people that an alumni, hub or on campus interview had equal weightage and was not concerned that an alumni interview would weaken my case.

So I located an local alumni and setup a Friday afternoon interview with him. In retrospect, I think it worked out well by scheduling the interview on Friday since the pace was very relaxed. When the interview started, I was told the interview would be about 45 minutes in total. I got asked the standard questions:

1) Talk about about my education and work expereince
2) I was asked whetehr I had talked to any alumni.
3) Why MBA? Why now? Why a second Master's degree? Why Wharton?
4) Explain a situation where I had team conflict. How did I deal with it?
5) Explain a situation where I had an ethical dilemma. what did I do?
6) Explain any acivities/hobbies/groups I am in involved when I was at school, at work and also after work.
7) Which other schools was I applying to and how high W was on the list (I am not sure if he was allowed to ask for this and I wasn't asked this that directly).
8) Since I seemed to have a lot of travel experience, I was asked what if anything I learned from it.

In the end, I was allowed to ask questions. I had a whole slew of them, and by the time the interview was done , the interview had gone for 90 minutes ! (Though I spent only 5-10 minutes on questions) . I felt good about it since I had good answers for all the questions. But more importantly, the interviewer had followed a very similar career path that I wanted to follow and it allowed me to ask some very good questions and get some great insights.

Since the interviewer worked in the company that I would like to work at right after getting out of a MBA program, I joked maybe I would be interviewing again in a couple years with him but then it would be for a full time job :-D

Anyther thing that really worked out for me is I came out a a person that was extremely well networked - the alumni that was asked about in Q2 above was known to the interviewer. When I explained some of the more exotic counties I visited, he threw a few names of co-workers from those countires who I personally knew! And when I was leaving the interview and he saw my blackberry, he talked about a former boss who lived by his blackberry. Based on his description , I said I knew a very similar person and in 5 minutes we found out we were talking about the same person!! It was ridiculous - the sun, moon and planets seemed to line up for me! Based on how long the interview went and my reponses to his questions, I felt the interview went quite well and if I didn't get accepted, I knew it wouldn't be because of a bad interview. If i had any advice, it would be:

1) Make sure you read you applciation to brush up on some the standard questions. When I was asked how Wharton would be able to help prepare me for my career path, I was able to throw in names of classes and professors (who the interviewer was familiar with) that I hd researched when I was working on my essays. He was definitely impressed.

2) Use the opportunity to 'sell' yourself , but do it with humility. Since the interviewer is not familiar with your application, make sure you bring out the strenghts from your application ( There is no need to feel like you are wasting time by repeating information)

3) Since I have done many interviews before (as an interviewer at my workplace), I know sending hand written thank you notes 24 hours later and or sending emails 5 - 10 hours later would be too late to close the deal. So I had already composed an thank you email which highlighted why I was a good candidate well before the interview and saved it as a draft. When the interview was over, I spent another 10 minutes adding more specific info from the interview and I emailed the thank you message to the interviewer from my phone. There was a good chance he saw it before he turned in his feedback and used my email to frame his evaluation.

4) Don't fail to view the interview as chance to grow your network; many of the alumni are employed at great places to work and you might very well look for an internship/job at the same place in the future. And if not you, you will defintely know someone who can benefit from it.

Since I made the decision to do a MBA just recently (I decided only late october 2008 that I wanted to do an MBA, scheduled and took the GMAT two weeks later and had barely a month to get recommendations and complete my essays), Wharton was the only application that I spent considerable time on and felt was good. I amn't surprised at not getting interviews at H or S bacause I had poorly developed essays and it seems like all my MBA eggs are in the W basket for now. Considering the circumstances, I am happy with my interview and have gotten this far at W, and I am hopeful that I have a greater than 50% chance at acceptance at W. And if not this year, then I know I will have a much stronger app next year.

Finally, I hope you all find this debrief useful and all of us GMATclubbers can convert our interviews to acceptances. I sincerely wish good luck to you all!
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
Foofighter,

The entire undergrad class isn't here just a few people taking summer classes. Once they are here I think the only real problem will be booking study rooms at Huntsman since apparently undergrads live in those rooms during exams. That really shouldn't be a problem since a lot of Wharton students form study groups and meet in Centre City or go to the bus. library. Centre City is where 90% or so of grad students stay. There are some nice places near Huntsman but it's a trade off...either you have to shlep it to go to school or to events, it's a personal decision. Philly is on the expensive side, especially for rent and beer. Rent is high and you have to look in order to get a good building, as audio said a lot of buildings are on the old end and people seem to be paying a premium for being in Centre City. Compared to Boston the rent is about the same but the apartments you'd get there are nicer. Buying bear from the local delis is expensive...it's about the same per bottle in most bars. Centre City is definitely a fun place though, and with the tons of Wharton students, if you go for a walk you're bound to run into two to three people you know.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, in case anyone missed seeing this, there is a Wharton interview chat at Accepted.com if you want to participate.

http://gmatclub.blogs.com/blog/2008/11/ ... -chat.html
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [2] , given: 29

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everbody, I know I am not a Wharton applicant or anything....but I decided to update the first page applicant stats so invited to interview is blue and dinged is red. This makes it easier on the eyes to differentiate.....plus red has a negative connotation and there is nothing bad about an interview invite!

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [2] , given: 8

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 20:47
This post received
KUDOS
I am still convinced that it is not the questions that matter in the interview, but rather the answers. I also hear some people come in so rehearsed that it hurts (the applicant of course). Rather than concentrating on what questions might be asked, I would (and did) concentrate on particular aspects of my life that 1. explain my goals, 2. describe me as a leader 3. give insight into my social life 4. paint a picture of me as a person. I found it very helpful because whatever question came my way, I had plenty of examples to throw back at the interviewer. I think if your interview gets to the nitty-gritty details of your career, life, social involvement, it is a good indicator that you hit the target, and the interviewer is trying to zero in on their conclusions. Once a positive conclusion is about to be made, you would normally want to get more evidence to support your decision. Similarly, once a negative conclusion is being formed about a candidate, it is probably because the signal from the candidate was very strong, so naturally people tend to look for justifications as to either prove themselves wrong and to make sure they're not making a mistake. A mistake about being wrong is then being the opposite to wrong.

If you know enough about yourself, if you have a lot of examples that describe your skills, then you can either provide more evidence to strengthen the positive conclusions about your candidacy, or to dissipate whatever doubts the interviewer might have about you, i.e. do very good damage control. So knowing the questions in advance does not help much, and frankly what are the chances that your interview will be similar to others'.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2008, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
zoinnk wrote:

For the leadership question, you can do either one story or multiple stories. For what it's worth, I did two stories with a theme of my leadership style threaded through the essay, and I got an interview. I know there have been others who did one big story and were accepted/given an interview.

I'm sure the same is true for the other essay. It's really about how you answer the question more than the number of stories. If you're going to do multiple stories, though, don't make 2 x 250 essays. Make sure you have some sort of high level thesis and the two stories support different aspects of your theme.

thanx
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 106 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
ac8706 wrote:
So those of you on the Waitlist, what's your plan?

The best practices email from the Wharton adcom said:
1) they don't offer feedback to candidates on the waitlist.
2) They won't accept additional information for your app. (From reading the knowledge vault on WL best practices, it also seems that most schools won't accept additional essays but will take emails.)

Here's what I'm thinking:
- giving the adcom a call after the holidays and just asking them for feedback (I figure worst case, they'll just say 'sorry we don't give feedback.')
- contacting the HCM folks to see if they have any more specific advice they can offer (again, I figure worst case, they'll just say 'sorry we don't give feedback')
- then based on their feedback, doing whatever they suggest

If they don't give any feedback, ideas of things to do (which I will then put in an email):
- take online courses to improve those calc, econ grades
- amp up the ECs (somehow?)

So all that being said, what're you planning? :)

cheers,
ac.

Accepted.com's Wharton waitlist chat from earlier this year may shed some light:
http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... arton.aspx

John (Apr 2, 2008 1:03:59 PM)
Thomas: Instead of just passively waiting by the candidates, will Wharton appreciate proactiveness of candidates? E.G., I really would like to further elaborate on ones capabilities and strong interest to the MBA program, but I worry that it will negatively impact the application on the contrary.

ThomasCaleelWHARTON (Apr 2, 2008 1:04:23 PM)
John, excellent question. In your WL letter, we give specific instructions to please NOT send in additional information.

ThomasCaleelWHARTON (Apr 2, 2008 1:04:51 PM)
John, This includes "unsolicited" letters from alumni, etc.

ThomasCaleelWHARTON (Apr 2, 2008 1:05:14 PM)
Linda and I had a long discussion on this last year (check the archives for all the reasons...).The main purpose is to give everyone a fair and equitable chance at admission.

focussedonwharton (Apr 2, 2008 1:08:24 PM)
Thomas: Thank you for taking our questions on this chat . Given Wharton's waitlist policies would it be advisable to talk to adcom/meet them etc, but not submit new materials?

ThomasCaleelWHARTON (Apr 2, 2008 1:08:35 PM)
Focus: not really.

focussedonwharton (Apr 2, 2008 1:17:19 PM)
Thomas: Hi. I am a R2 waitlister. Is it okay to for a waitlister to call the office or meet with adcom?

ThomasCaleelWHARTON (Apr 2, 2008 1:17:47 PM)
Focus, again, I would carefully read your decision letter. We discourage applicants from calling, writing, or visiting...

FrankChang (Apr 2, 2008 1:36:32 PM)
Thanks a lot for your time. What advice would you give to people in WL?

ThomasCaleelWHARTON (Apr 2, 2008 1:36:50 PM)
Frank, as difficult as it sounds, just sit tight and try to relax.

ThomasCaleelWHARTON (Apr 2, 2008 1:37:02 PM)
Frank, I know this can be frustrating, but it's really the best course of action...

Waits4Wharton (Apr 2, 2008 1:48:52 PM)
Thanks for taking the time to do this chat Thomas. So would you say that waitlisted students who eventually became admitted the past five years literally did nothing from notification to decision?

ThomasCaleelWHARTON (Apr 2, 2008 1:49:37 PM)
Waits, I would say that we weigh all factors when we make decisions, including whether the applicants follow the specific guidelines in the decision letters.But in general, re-applicants tend to be admitted at a higher rate than first-time applicants. Nothing magic to that, they just have a deeper understanding of themselves and the process...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 15

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
I updated the Wharton section in the "2009 Application Information" thread:

post492112.html#p492112
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
fooFighter wrote:
Thanks for the info shmegs. I have some Q's for you guys:

Is it weird sharing huntsman hall with undergrads?
Where do most students live? Where do students usually hang out?
How expensive is philly compared to other major cities? How safe?

My insight on these points are:

sharing HH with undergrads, I dunno, they aren't here yet.
Centre City is the most popular location by far, that's where all the action is, however it's pretty expensive. I wouldn't be able to compare it to other major cities - I come from Brussels where rent is cheap - but if you ask me it's pretty expensive considering the city and the quality of the units.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
fooFighter wrote:
Kudos guys, that was very insightful. I understand Wharton a little better now.

Another thing I want to ask about is the Cohort system, how is it different from other schools where they breakdown classes into groups as well.

If roughly 800 people enroll every year. How many classes is that broken into? How many students in one class? How many cohorts in a class?

How often do they change cohorts?

Since NYC is not too far away, are you guys expected to go there alot for recruitment?

thanks!

The cohort system is the way that Wharton tries to create a small school feel within the larger business school. Essentially the point is to take classes with 60 or so other students and build up relationships that way. There are three cohorts per cluster and four clusters, there are some core classes that are cluster based but on the whole you will be taking core classes with your cohort. Electives are cross cohort though. I can't speak for other schools. You don't change cohorts but what happens is that during pre-term and through clubs and other activities you form friendships across cohorts. Wharton organizes treks to NYC and some of the smaller NYC firms will ask you do to off-campus interviews i.e. go to New York. Trips to NYC seem to be part of the IB recruitment schedule and if I had to guess probably PE and VC as well although I am not sure.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
cpgmba,

Work ex is calculated as of matriculation.

ashaker,

Take a look at last year's Wharton thread to see what some us did...it's fine to go up to 10% over the stated word limits for some essays but overall try to be around the stated limits. It's one thing to be over on one to two essays but if you significantly exceed limits on all essays then it may be a problem. Wharton gives you enough space to write so try to stick with what they set out.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 28

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2008, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
That is correct soni.

sonibubu wrote:
msday86 wrote:
msday86 wrote:
wharton essays done - whoohoo!

APP SUBMITTED!!! Let the games begin :)

You can submit Wharton before recs are all submitted, correct?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Done! Just in the nick of time. It going to be an interesting two months :-D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 00:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hiya People

I have comipled a list of the R1 applicants to W on this forum:-

Virflo
CompanyMan
CaptainMolecule
Bostonsparky
ac8706
Meowzilla
terp26
sonibubu
Captain
Walker
gt7er
cougarblue
msday86
Madz

For co-applicants I missed out on:- please add on the name...

ATB for the interesting times ahead... :roll:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 05:45
This post received
KUDOS
I am in for Round 1 as well. I submitted my application on 10/1 and went complete about 5 days later. Today is the day they start releasing interview invites, but if last year is any indication, most of us won't be hearing anything until November. Best of luck, everybody!

I have comipled a list of the R1 applicants to W on this forum:-

Virflo
CompanyMan
CaptainMolecule
Bostonsparky
ac8706
Meowzilla
terp26
sonibubu
Captain
Walker
gt7er
cougarblue
msday86
Madz
MeddlingKid
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2008, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
terp26 wrote:
msday86 wrote:
terp26 wrote:
msday, if I am not mistaken, you went complete early right?

that's correct...i think i went complete a week before the deadline.

thanks for sharing. Calms the applicants who applied closer to the deadline!

Doesn't seem like Wharton's sent too many invites out yet. I think many of us will be getting invites by the end of the week.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
I was just at the accepted.com chat...

came in late, and asked whether the bulk of invites had been sent out. Apparently the question was asked already, but the moderator told me that the rep had answered"Yes" to this question...

Talk about a knife to the chest...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2008, 15:21
This post received
KUDOS
Invited to interview!
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 09 Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2008, 15:21