Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 18:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 11:44
mba12tech wrote:
Thanks for the advice, Pathfinder. Working in IT, I guess I could pull the whole "we were developing this product and then spoke with the customer and our eyes opened" type thing, but I'm not sure if that's substantial enough or if I'd even want to go in that direction. I interpreted the question as more global-leaning since, in my head, that's what these schools are looking for.

AskSandy on the BW forums went on a rant about the new Wharton essays:
http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=10180

You are making the same mistake again trying to find out what schools are looking for. Don't do that, just tell them how open-minded and cool guy you are. You don't have to save the world and talk about global stuff for that - you have to do something extraordinary in some totally ordinary situation. Just tell them what have you learned from that experience.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 16:00
I would agree with pathfinder...i didn't read anything into it other than that you should write about someone that thinks differently than you. It doesn't sound like it even needs to be a professional story. It sounds like they just want to know you're open-minded.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 16:19
highhopes wrote:
It sounds like they just want to know you're open-minded.

Again - too simplistic. Maybe they do not want to know this at all, or maybe they do, or maybe it is a chance for you to show how you manage conflicts, or how you defend your ideas, or how (in)tolerant you are to stupidity, or how impatient you are and have to work on it, or how you're tired of others with a different opinion, or how your religious beliefs contradict those of people around you and it either causes problems or, alternatively, helps your community become better or makes it hostile and intolerant and impossible to live in. There is a million ways of answering the question.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 16:24
snipertrader wrote:
The essays are mighty tough this time!!

When haven't essays been tough?

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 17:27
R1 it is.

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 10:17
ezekiel2517 wrote:
R1 it is.

I much prefer last years questions to this. Anyway, will make the most out of it and hopefully should be ok for round 1.
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 15:42
Not only is Qn 2 hard, but its 750-1000 words! I was brain storming and coming up with material to write for the essay when I realized (after a few hours :?) that re-applicants don't need to write this essay. Boy was I relieved. However, I can say though that this essay wasn't as bad as it seemed after I had brainstormed.

A question for re-applicants:

1) My story has changed slightly since I applied last year. Will this raise a flag with the adcom? I don't want them to feel that I don't have a clear vision of what I want to do.

2) Essay #2 (for re-applicants) is the same as last year - a failure and what you learnt. I still think my failure essay last year portrayed the "best" failure (& comeback) and I can't come up with anything better. Can I keep the core of the essay the same, or is it recommended that I come up with something else?

Thanks!
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 04:17
stopper5 wrote:
Not only is Qn 2 hard, but its 750-1000 words!

Beleive me, it is much easier to have 1000 word limit than 400. I had both, writtung the Goal essay for Cambridge Judge with only 400 word limit and later the same essay for Wharton with 1000. It was much easier to express your ambitions in 1000 words than in 400. I wrote one 1000+ word essay and then chopped it first to 1000 and later to 400 words.

It was hell, I found extremely difficult to describe my past and current WE, goals and the way b-school is going to help me achieve them. In addition, you have to mention why that particular school and what will be my contribution to class... 400 words - a mess.

My GMAT experience

Current Student

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 04:44
pathfinder, I totally agree. For the goals essay, 400 or even 600 words is way too short. Wharton gives enough room to go through progress to date, short-term & long-term goals, why wharton, why now.... in 1000 words. A 400-word limit for the goals essay almost seems impossible!

My word limit comment was directed specifically to the "Tell us about a time when you had to adapt by accepting/understanding the perspective of people different from yourself." question.

While I was writing the outline I was thinking to myself there's a lot to write on 1 experience! I could be way off though, but that was my initial impression.
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 04:48
Yes, you are probably right. For goal essay 1000 words is a fit, but for all other essays 500 - 550 is just about right measure.

My GMAT experience

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 15:23
Interestingly, their essay 1 with regards to global goals, seems a lot like Duke's "leaders of consequence" essay. Take a look at last year's "calling all Duke Fall 2011" thread for some of that discussion.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 06:49
Current Student

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 19:15
The clearadmit blog has put up its analysis for the new goals essay for Wharton (and other essays as well).
http://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/06/wharton-essay-topic-analysis-2009-2010/

Wharton Essay1:
As a leader in global business, Wharton is committed to sustaining “a truly global presence through its engagement in the world”. What goals are you committed to and why? How do you envision the Wharton MBA contributing to the attainment of those goals?

I found this part interesting in its analysis of the goals essay and thought I'd share:
Quote:
One might discuss how he or she intends to engage individuals or firms when doing business in the future, and how his or her stated goals might fit into the big picture of Wharton’s “truly global presence.”

In general, I'm having trouble deciphering this year's goals essay for Wharton. There seems to be such a disconnect from the first sentence and the rest of the question. What are they trying to get from the candidate from the first sentence? It almost feels Wharton is forcing a bias on the goals essay. I wonder if a majority of the candidates will add a "global" touch forcefully in their applications to appease adcom.

Just ranting :P
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 14:01
RD 2, count me in...seeing the questions already is making this so real to me :oops:

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 11:45
stopper5 wrote:
The clearadmit blog has put up its analysis for the new goals essay for Wharton (and other essays as well).
http://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/06/wharton-essay-topic-analysis-2009-2010/

Wharton Essay1:
As a leader in global business, Wharton is committed to sustaining “a truly global presence through its engagement in the world”. What goals are you committed to and why? How do you envision the Wharton MBA contributing to the attainment of those goals?

I found this part interesting in its analysis of the goals essay and thought I'd share:
Quote:
One might discuss how he or she intends to engage individuals or firms when doing business in the future, and how his or her stated goals might fit into the big picture of Wharton’s “truly global presence.”

In general, I'm having trouble deciphering this year's goals essay for Wharton. There seems to be such a disconnect from the first sentence and the rest of the question. What are they trying to get from the candidate from the first sentence? It almost feels Wharton is forcing a bias on the goals essay. I wonder if a majority of the candidates will add a "global" touch forcefully in their applications to appease adcom.

Just ranting :P

You're making sense to me
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 12:08
Yeah, as someone with essentially zero global experience, I have to find a way to answer these questions without BSing too much. My interpretation of this question was that they wanted to know what our goals were, and that they did NOT have to align perfectly with the [global] goals of Wharton. At least that's my hopeful interpretation ...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 17:15
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 18:57
anybody started working on essay 2? gosh...its 1000 words...i don't know what to write for 1000 words!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 21:40
Count me in for R1. I'm still trying to do some more research on the new MBA/Master of Environmental Science program that Wharton is offering beginning this Fall before I begin my essays.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 01:58
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2009, 01:58