Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
I SOOOO can't wait anymore !
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg,Columbia,Duke, Wharton,Cornell,NYU,Ross
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
Yikes, invited to interview 2 hours ago. All hope was lost....

Holy macaroni.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
KBCalifornia wrote:
Wow I didn't know about that 50% number. Feeling slightly worse about myself at the moment...

Same here.... I feel like doing this :pc
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
hm2009 wrote:
nath99 wrote:
while scheduling alumni interviews, do you guys reach out to more than one at a time? or contact one person and then wait till they respond before reaching out to someone else?

nath99

I am doing the one-by-one thing but no luck (tried two w/o responses). I am worrying about it now. What do you folks write in your email to the alumni btw? If someone can PM me with a sample, I'll be happy to share my sample letter.

hm2009 how long do you plan to wait for the interviewer to respond before you will contact other person. I tried 2 so far no luck either.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 19:26
This post received
KUDOS
mohater wrote:
Just to confirm my pessimism about not being invited:

Assuming one accidentally deletes the email regarding the invite:

Where do you log in to see if you've been invited? MyWhatron MBA or the applyyourself page (or both)?

Either is fine. It should say something like the following:
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 5.71 KiB | Viewed 2547 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton/Lauder, Booth (admitted with $$)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
they're still coming out...just got an invite at 2 10 CST for wharton/lauder!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 13:39
This post received
KUDOS
I'd be surprised if they send out an interview invite at the same time as the ding e-mails - then again, I'm surprised at a lot of things in this whole process.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Harvard (R2 - Waiting), Stanford (R2 - See Wharton), Wharton (R2 - Bitchslapped)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 15:05
This post received
KUDOS
Rejected

Just printed the letter in color, put a smiley face at the bottom and hung it up on the old wall in my office next to my vacation pictures. Somehow this seems small relative to everything else. :-D

Oh and if it helps anyone else - 710/3.65 UG from a low ranked school (now part of a high ranked school for some reason)/25/Indian/Worked at a top IBank in Engineering, then at a Transit Authority as a project manager and now in Muni finance as a financial consultant and manager/Started a couple of organizations at school and in community/Awesome recs (read them)

Though as a necessary caveat I must add that I did put in considerable effort for the this school and on a level am truly disheartened about the outcome. So please, do not see my nonchalant receipt of this news as taking away from the hard work that anyone here has put in, accepted or rejected.

Euphoric in the midst of chaos

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
For those of you who received invites, this is a great blog post about the pros and cons of interviewing on campus vs. doing an alumni interview. Ultimately, I went with an alumni interviewer for a number of reasons and this this entry was the tipping point. They make a good point, specifically: Why would an admissions committee, which typically interviews thousands of applicants, disadvantage a huge group of their applicants?

http://www.mbamission.com/blog/2010/02/ ... the-adcom/

Good luck to everyone :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
robertrdzak wrote:
I wonder how many people currently accepted at Wharton conducted their interview on-campus vs off-campus. I just have this feeling that going on-campus gives the interview a heavier weighting in the admissions process than a alumni interview.

I had my interview today morning with alumni. He was part of admissions in his 2nd year. He said that for wharton interview is just another data point and that on/off campus does not make any difference at all.

nath99
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS
Just had my interview with a recently graduated alumnus (3 yrs ago). It was more stressful than I would have liked; she had another interviewer after me so had to put a wrist-watch on the table before the interview began. A 30 minute interview on the dot. Some of the questions, in the sequence they were asked:

- tell me about your current job and why did you choose it.
- what sort of team experiences have you had, with an example as needed.
- what are the short-term post-mba goals (did not ask long-term) (I named one company I was aiming for and focused my answer around that.)
- what if s-t goals don't work out/that company goes bust (talked about backup plan)
- I am a published author with a book coming out, so there was a question about that.
- one significant leadership experience relevant to my post-mba goals
- why do you want Wharton (I told her I don't want to give her a list of courses/profs and she was happy about that. focused my answer on my personal inferences drawn from school-visit and conversations with current students. gave detailed examples and anecdotes)

That's about it. Overall I felt I could've done better but I was able to bring out some good personal stories that are at the core of my personality. She was mostly impassive, so hard to draw any inferences, but I felt I did "strictly OK".

Good luck to others.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 05:51
This post received
KUDOS
A great set of tips from an alumni interviewer on BW:

"this is probably a little late for u but some free advice for everyone else. i'm really surprised how different the interview looks from outside than from the inside. i'm an alumni interviewer, did 6 this last round. i won't tell u exactly what guidelines adcom gives, there's a lot and some is pretty specific. interviewers are looking for specific qualities no matter what question they ask. we might probe into areas that concern us, but i've been seeing candidates that just really miss the ball, even though we give them chances to answer. it's not a stress interview, it's really a time for the candidate to show off their best stuff.
tips:
1. DO NOT RAMBLE. even if your answers suck, if the candidate sticks to structured answers, they'll get the benefit of the doubt. rambling = interpreted as unable to grasp and communicate main ideas.
2. Frame your answers. numbering your points generally scores points.
3. leadership stories matter. it's up to you to make sure those get told no matter what question gets answered.
4. know your transitions/'why i made these decisions' down cold. how you reason demonstrates your judgement, your maturity and insight.
5. describe processes. how you got from A to B. mba is highly concerned with breaking down problems into pieces.
6. show that you're a person who's going somewhere in life. passion, energy & direction.
a typical interviewer can get a lot of this out of a 'walk through resume', why mba, goals, why wharton. pre-know where weaknesses/perceived resume stereotypes are and speak to them proactively to pre-empt interviewer concerns before they bring it up.
hope that helps, good luck y'all!!"

Original location: http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=83540

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Earlier people reported that they went from 4 box to 3 box. Does anyone still have 4 boxes? You should be going to http://upenngsb.askadmissions.net/Vip/Vip.aspx to verify
Mine says:

Create a myWharton MBA Account
Application Submitted
Recommendations Received
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
The R1 letter said by 5pm and we got results around noon
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, this is a tough time, and I am sure we are all anxious. There is a convenient venting thread as a part of GMATclub: venting-thread-87025-220.html . Please, use that for anything that has to do with anxiety, but not Wharton. This way, we don't keep everyone's e-mail and heart throbbing unnecessarily while we are waiting for the first call announcement. Thank you in advance!

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
The e-mail may come in much later than the online decision. It could be a lag in the system. Most people reported they found out by checking the Wharton site after they saw on the forums that decisions were available.

Bah. Brutal.

By the way, O Ye Time-Subtractors and Calculators -- not that I have any idea why it matters -- we're on EDT now. It's GMT -4. So, uh... you know, if you haven't? Change your clocks and all.

WhartonWhartonWharton <--- to make my post relevant to this forum.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
OMG! In with $20K! :boom
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 06:19
This post received
KUDOS
I got an international call - and I am in Wharton now!
I feel happy to be part of the Wharton family.
Best of luck to all those waiting.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WL), Booth (WL), Kellogg (WL), Ross (ding)
WE 1: public accounting

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
Waitlist! 3rd one for me!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Booth, Wharton, HBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
OMG!!! In with $$. Just got email and checked my online status!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2010, 09:36