Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think a few schools, such as Yale and Tuck, look at the highest Quant and Verbal scores. I also found it interesting that Tuck reports the average Q and V scores of its students on its student profile page (I think it is Tuck, if not, it is Y).

nervousgmat wrote:
Ozmba2006 wrote:
I did discuss this with the adcom during my school visit

Here is what they have to say

Yale looks at TOP Quant/Verbal Scores in multiple attempts

Thats and advantage if you did well in Q in one attempt and verbal in the other

Cheers

Hmmm.... that puts a completely different twist on "Yale takes into consideration all GMAT scores" issue.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
https://mba.yale.edu/MBA/students/class_statistics.shtml

Yale is the only school to post Avg Q/Avg V of the class profile

Class of 2009

Average GMAT Score 700
Middle 80% range 640-760
Average Quantitative 46 (80th percentile)
Mid 80% GMAT Quantitative 41-50

Average Verbal 40 (90th percentile)
Mid 80% GMAT Verbal 34-46

Average College GPA 3.5
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yep- I knew it was one of the two :)

Ozmba2006 wrote:

Class of 2009

Average GMAT Score 700
Middle 80% range 640-760

Average College GPA 3.5
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:

Class of 2009

Average GMAT Score 700
Middle 80% range 640-760

Average College GPA 3.5

Average Quantitative 46 (80th percentile) - that contradicts the theory that if you have a quant score below 80th%, you aren't getting in a top program.
Average Verbal 40 (90th percentile) - this to me seems pretty high; by the looks of the class stats, Yale values verbal skills more highly than quant
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
Or the only program to be honest and actually say it first.

Let me diagree with you on this one. It is actually to the school's advantage to look at, accept and report your highest GMAT score so that the school's reported GMAT mean/median looks better. Moreover, most schools encourage applicants to take the GMAT more than once to improve their scores. It is in the interest of the program to do so.

As others have already pointed out, Yale only takes your highest score when they report the scores to the media.

Now as far as other schools taking into account all of an applicant's scores... I assume all schools do this. For instance, if an applicant scores a 490 on the first attempt and then a 760 on the second (extreme example used to highlight my point), don't you think somebody will wonder what's up?

But taking account of all scores can work for or against you. If you score a 680 (q46, v 38) and then a 620 (q 44 v 35) then this looks bad.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

Let me diagree with you on this one. It is actually to the school's advantage to look at, accept and report your highest GMAT score so that the school's reported GMAT mean/median looks better. Moreover, most schools encourage applicants to take the GMAT more than once to improve their scores. It is in the interest of the program to do so.

As others have already pointed out, Yale only takes your highest score when they report the scores to the media.

Now as far as other schools taking into account all of an applicant's scores... I assume all schools do this. For instance, if an applicant scores a 490 on the first attempt and then a 760 on the second (extreme example used to highlight my point), don't you think somebody will wonder what's up?

But taking account of all scores can work for or against you. If you score a 680 (q46, v 38) and then a 620 (q 44 v 35) then this looks bad.

As pointed out by OzMBA, Yale looks at your highest Q and V scores which is different from averaging or evaluating all GMAT scores reported. On a separate note, there might be a bunch of reasons for a person to score a 490 the first time and 760 the second (being sick, distracted during the test, etc. ) as well as to score 700 the first time and 490 the second time (for the same reasons).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
Ozmba2006 wrote:

Class of 2009

Average GMAT Score 700
Middle 80% range 640-760

Average College GPA 3.5

Average Quantitative 46 (80th percentile) - that contradicts the theory that if you have a quant score below 80th%, you aren't getting in a top program.
Average Verbal 40 (90th percentile) - this to me seems pretty high; by the looks of the class stats, Yale values verbal skills more highly than quant

i don't think this statement is accurate...at the diversity they kept stressing how quant intensive the program has become.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
Ozmba2006 wrote:

Class of 2009

Average GMAT Score 700
Middle 80% range 640-760

Average College GPA 3.5

i don't think this statement is accurate...at the diversity they kept stressing how quant intensive the program has become.

lanter, i'm just going off the stats here :-) In general, the majority of applicants do better in Q than V (hence, 99th% in Q = 51, while 99th% in V = 45). Because the class profile shows that the avg Q is in the 80th% while the avg V is in the 90th%, I can't help but point out that on average, Yale prefers candidates with higher verbal percentile than quant percentile.
This might have little to do with how quant intensive the program is.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
On a separate note, I think I will apply to Yale in R2. I did some research and was blown away by the new curriculum designed to prepare MBA students for a real-world management job.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

As pointed out by OzMBA, Yale looks at your highest Q and V scores which is different from averaging or evaluating all GMAT scores reported. On a separate note, there might be a bunch of reasons for a person to score a 490 the first time and 760 the second (being sick, distracted during the test, etc. ) as well as to score 700 the first time and 490 the second time (for the same reasons).

I think we are both right to an extent. They do evaluate all scores received. Per OZMBA, Yale takes your highest subset scores in addition.

I’ve taken the GMAT more than once. Does Yale SOM consider all of my scores?
We see and consider all the scores you have received as we review your application, although we credit the highest score you achieved. We do not average scores.

https://mba.yale.edu/MBA/admissions/apply/faq.shtml
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
I see your point fellow UFC fan...did you enjoy the ppv on saturday.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
On a separate note, I think I will apply to Yale in R2. I did some research and was blown away by the new curriculum designed to prepare MBA students for a real-world management job.

The curriculum is great.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:

Nervous - what appealed to you the most about the new curriculum? Any courses in particular jump out at you? I know Yale is supposed to have a phenomenal global/foreign study component to its program...
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
uphillclimb wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:

Nervous - what appealed to you the most about the new curriculum? Any courses in particular jump out at you? I know Yale is supposed to have a phenomenal global/foreign study component to its program...

No one can explain the new cuuriculum better than yale itself:-)
Read this and then click on the "core" tab at the top:

https://www.mba.yale.edu/MBA/curriculum/index.shtml
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
I did discuss this with the adcom during my school visit

Here is what they have to say

Yale takes into consideration the TOP Quant/Verbal Scores from multiple attempts

Thats a huge advantage if you did well in Q in one attempt and verbal in the other

Are you sure? really? In that case then its a good thing that I took it multiple times? I have a higher overall score if you take top quant and top verbal, than my best at one sitting.

Altho the first time i took it i bombed it.

Originally posted by aceman626 on 20 Nov 2007, 21:29.
Last edited by aceman626 on 20 Nov 2007, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:

I was amazed by how quickly Houston Alexander went down... huh!
And to be honest, I was rooting for Bisping :-(
All of my guys, except Parisyan, lost !
That being said, I am excited to see the pretty boy Huerta on Dec. 9th!!! :twisted:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
lanter1 wrote:

I was amazed by how quickly Houston Alexander went down... huh!
And to be honest, I was rooting for Bisping :-(
All of my guys, except Parisyan, lost !
That being said, I am excited to see the pretty boy Huerta on Dec. 9th!!! :twisted:

I am glad I didnt pay for that...horrible card. The Joe Lauzon fight should have been on the main card at the start. The kid is training with BJ Penn and you have to love the fact he doesnt go out to aim for a decision like some people COUGH EVANS COUGH. My biggest hatred of MMA right now are the wrestlers that pin people down dont do any damage and win 29-28 decisions. I love guys like him and Houston that go out there to finish it not to let someone vote on who had the best position.

Houston Alexander has the worst ground game I have ever seen, if he can learn take down defense along the lines of Liddell (who would be a great fight for him) he will be a force but unless that happens or he learns some good BJJ he is going to have to be put in against other bangers just to give highlights.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  20