Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 10:28
What is your reasoning?

wooster123 wrote:
I got an interview invite few days back but decided to withdraw my application. Wont be interviewing with Yale any more.

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 10:32
raabenb wrote:
What is your reasoning?

wooster123 wrote:
I got an interview invite few days back but decided to withdraw my application. Wont be interviewing with Yale any more.

Very personal. I am an Indian. Either its HBS/Stanford/Wharton(already dinged)/Sloan for me or its back to my home country. I got interview offers from Ross/Tuck/Tepper but I would prefer to go back and join IIM(Indian Institute of Management..premier Indian B Schools). Yale is a great school and the reason of my withdrawal is purely personal.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 10:56
Had my interview. They really only do last 30 minutes. Very short. Of the other prospectives I talked to no interviewes went over by more than about 5 minutes. The questions asked are very basic. Discuss a couple items on your resume (and reasoning) Why MBA, Why Yale, Goals and that's about it. Pretty basic interview. There were no oddball or behavioral questions (how do you deal with a difficult teammate, etc).

Students seemed friendly and the class I sat in on was very engaged. The comments made by the students in class were pretty good. The buildings are pretty crummy but I actually liked them because they help foster that close community feel. There definitely is more industry diversity at Yale. I met way more non profit and government background people than at any other school visit. But I also met plenty of consultants, bankers and engineers.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Chicago, Yale, Stanford, Haas

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 19:42
I interviewed recently (this week) and am now stricken with the waiting game (it could unfortunately be this way for a long time). Best of luck to everyone!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 12:55
FYI:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/26817

SOM reported a 4 percent increase in applications for the first round of its 2008-’09 admissions cycle, Director of Admissions Bruce DelMonico said Wednesday. The school, which has three rounds of applications annually, received 928 applications by its October deadline, up from 894 last year. Based on historical trends, that number places SOM on pace to receive over 3,000 total applications for enrollment during the 2008-’09 academic year.

“We’re seeing not only greater numbers, but also greater quality,” DelMonico said.

This year’s pool of first-round applicants is also the strongest in recent years. Applicants averaged a 698 of 800 points on the GMAT, the business school admissions test, two points higher than the first-round applicant class of 2007-’08. That score places the average SOM applicant just below the 92nd percentile of test-takers.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 12:58
agold wrote:
Applicants averaged a 698 of 800 points on the GMAT, the business school admissions test, two points higher than the first-round applicant class of 2007-’08.

That's pretty impressive, the average APPLICANT has a 698. No wonder Yale's GMAT avg jumped to 718 or so last year.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 13:02
Scary, indeed.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 13:03
Update Yale SOM: (as of Dec 8 2008)

R1:

nTang - waiting
Pathfinder77 - waiting
dharmabum - waiting
Leverandon - waiting
wooster123 - invite Nov 24 (App withdrawn)
Irishspring - waiting
PhoenixBanker - Interview Invite
IHatetheGMAT - Int invite Nov 24 (int on Dec 3)
nidaconu - waiting
dharmabum - int invite Nov 25
ninkorn - waiting
sterny - invt invite Dec 2
mindruna - interviewed - reported Dec 3 (date n/a)

Stats:
GC Applied: 13
Interview Offered: 6 (46.2% rate)
Accepted: n/a

Last edited by nink on 08 Dec 2008, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 13:10
Thanks for putting together those stats ninkorn. 46% invite rate so far. I'm sure that more invites are coming for those that have not heard yet (considering that comparable schools like cornell had an 80% invite rate for Gclub).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 16:25
Yeah, I'm not feeling good about my chances of getting an interview invite from Yale SOM. On the other hand, I am going out on a date with a girl who is a student at Yale SOM next weekend. Maybe that evens out. Depending on how the date goes.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 19:45
Haha. Sounds great Lev. Weird that I didn't get a Ross interview, and you have yet to get a SOM interview.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 01:46
I don't know what is going on with my application. I thought my Yale application was the strongest one and that school was the perfect fit for me since I have government background and non-profit career goals. In addition, I am already admitted to Cambridge Judge and interviewed for Wharton...

So, I am a little bit confused with this silence. Although I don't care too much because I was accepted to safety school, I cannot be nothing but confused. I got the interview invite from Wharton and after that polished essays for Yale, definitely entire package was much stronger for Yale. :roll:

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 03:35
Don’t worry, Pathfinder. From what I know of their process, the interview notification theoretically may come very close to the final decision date (which is in January). According to their site, the adcom reads your app several times in the process. Perhaps those people who were invited to the interview so far were those whose app caught the attention after initial reading. Maybe, the in-depth study is still ahead… and so is your invite!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 05:25
dharmabum wrote:
Haha. Sounds great Lev. Weird that I didn't get a Ross interview, and you have yet to get a SOM interview.

Yeah, since our profiles are about the same the only thing I can think of is that I didn't put enough effort into the essays. I think that I may have made then a little too genericly non-profity and didn't address enough specifics about Yale.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 09:36
Leverandon wrote:
Yeah, I'm not feeling good about my chances of getting an interview invite from Yale SOM. On the other hand, I am going out on a date with a girl who is a student at Yale SOM next weekend. Maybe that evens out. Depending on how the date goes.

Hopefully she works for admissions. Maybe if that date goes well you can parlay it into an invite 8-)

But in all seriousness I have no doubt that you are still in the game. I obviously can't guarantee an invite but there is no way you should be saying its game over. You got an invite at Ross (similar in competitivness to Yale), Yale invites through January, AND (this is a major one) didn't you just get an email like a week ago that asked you to send in more legible transcripts? If so they hadn't even been able to review your app yet. It took me about 2-3 weeks from when they said my app went complete (when GMAT scores are received) to my interview invite.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 18:10
I want to know how did most people approach Essay 1. For most essays I write about my background, goals and then why school. Did most people start with Why Yale and the the Impact they wish to have?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 18:31
Guys and Gals,

I am available to speak with anyone who is interested in the program. Please let me know when you will be on campus if you are interested in speaking with me. I would really like to have another GMATclubber at SOM.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 18:49
Lanter - I am a west coast applicant who won't be able to visit. I would like ask you a few questions. Please let me know the best way to reach you.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Schools: SOM, Stern

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 10:07
Did anyone get rejected from Yale yet?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 12:37
Got interview invite today! :-D

Update Yale SOM: (as of Dec 10 2008)

R1:

nTang - waiting
Pathfinder77 - waiting
Leverandon - waiting
wooster123 - invite Nov 24 (App withdrawn)
Irishspring - waiting
PhoenixBanker - Interview Invite
IHatetheGMAT - Int invite Nov 24 (int on Dec 3)
nidaconu - waiting
dharmabum - int invite Nov 25
ninkorn - int invite (Dec 10)
sterny - invt invite Dec 2
mindruna - interviewed - reported Dec 3 (date n/a)

Stats:
GC Applied: 12
Interview Offered: 7 (58.3% rate)
Accepted: n/a

Last edited by nink on 10 Dec 2008, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2008, 12:37