Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 12:46
ninkorn wrote:
Got interview invite today! :-D

Update Yale SOM: (as of Dec 10 2008)

R1:

nTang - waiting
Pathfinder77 - waiting
dharmabum - waiting
Leverandon - waiting
wooster123 - invite Nov 24 (App withdrawn)
Irishspring - waiting
PhoenixBanker - Interview Invite
IHatetheGMAT - Int invite Nov 24 (int on Dec 3)
nidaconu - waiting
dharmabum - int invite Nov 25
ninkorn - int invite (Dec 10)
sterny - invt invite Dec 2
mindruna - interviewed - reported Dec 3 (date n/a)

Stats:
GC Applied: 13
Interview Offered: 7 (54% rate)
Accepted: n/a

I think dharmabum is on the list twice.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: SOM, Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 13:17
when does Yale usually email applicants? Every single time my Blackberry gets an email my heart shudders :)
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 14:33
Mine came mid afternoon
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 06:25
When did you submit your app?
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 20:18
Potential R2 applicant with a question for you SOM gurus, do you know if the school looks unfavorably on applicants who do not have the opportunity to visit the school or attend its info sessions prior to applying? Thanks and best of luck everyone!

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 20:32
rca215 wrote:
Potential R2 applicant with a question for you SOM gurus, do you know if the school looks unfavorably on applicants who do not have the opportunity to visit the school or attend its info sessions prior to applying? Thanks and best of luck everyone!

When I met the reps at a local MBA tour, they did say they encourage applicants to come and visit reps at even offsite reception events.

http://www.mba.yale.edu/MBA/admissions/events.asp

Even if you can't visit the school, if you can attend one of their receptions, it would help. But don't let that stop you from applying for R2.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 20:57
I didn't take the opportunity to visit New Haven before I submitted my app and am starting to regret it. It probably looks like I wasn't serious about attending the school considering that I live in NYC and didn't bother taking the Metro North to New Haven. I have yet to receive an interview invite and I'm beginning to think that that really hurt.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 21:05
My interviewer seemed impressed that I had made it to New Haven twice (the second time being my interview) from the dirty south.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 21:55
For the second personal statement, how many people used essays from other applications versus writing another essay from their list? I have a couple that I think are good that I'm close to using instead of writing another essay.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 06:35
Yeah, mine was a somewhat modified version of an essay I used at a few other schools.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 06:38
Unfortunately it looks like there are no on campus sessions until the end of January and no info sessions in my area on the schedule at all, so no visit for me. Thanks for the input though guys!

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 06:39
formerlehmanite1 wrote:
For the second personal statement, how many people used essays from other applications versus writing another essay from their list? I have a couple that I think are good that I'm close to using instead of writing another essay.

I recycled a couple of my other essays and used it on one of Yale essays. (combined it)

I think this is normal for others as well. I am sure we are not the only ones doing it.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 09:20
Its ok to recycle as long as the essay answers the questions. What I notice is that I cannot simply copy paste because the questions are slightly different for essays on the same topic. Therefore, I had to tweak them to answer SOM's specific questions.

Curious - How did you approach Essay 1. Did you answer "Impact you wish to made" before describing your background?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 09:35
Virtually my entire Yale app was borrowed. But I would suggest tweaking it a little bit for Yale. I added more of a do gooder save the world angle to my Yale essays for example :-D And on essay 4 I think its fine to use another schools essay but I would reword the topic and tweak the essay slightly. The schools know the topics for the other schools. And I wouldn't use a really specific one like Columiba's practice v theory essay. A more generic accomplishment, leadership, etc essay would be better.

Btw, if you're doing Tuck I would plot those essays together. Lots of overlap. Tuck's Q4 about your personal background and Tuck's constructive critisicm are both nearly idential to a couple Yale topics.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 09:52
Agreed - rewording and tweaking is important. I thought about using Wharton's mistake essay (my best essay!) for Personal Statement 2, but then I realized it would totally looked canned.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 07:33
Was there a delay between when you guys entered your recommenders' email addresses into the online system and when they received the recommendation form by email? I'm at about 12 hours and neither of them has gotten the email.

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 07:35
rca215 wrote:
Was there a delay between when you guys entered your recommenders' email addresses into the online system and when they received the recommendation form by email? I'm at about 12 hours and neither of them has gotten the email.

there should be an option where it sends the emails to your recommenders again. I think they call it "Reminder"

Otherwise, just delete your recommenders in the system and re enter their emails.

However, Yale site is doing some kinda maintenance right now. It's down.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 08:33
After reading the Adcom update yesterday, which mentioned that most of the remaining invitations will be sent out by Chistmas, do you guys know if the rejections will be sent out around the same time as well?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (R1/WL), Ross (Ding), Yale (R2), Cornell (R3)

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 10:00
rca215 wrote:

Ask them to check their junk mail folders.
One of my recommender found it in junk mail.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 20:59
rca215 wrote:

Yes, it is unfavorable.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2008, 20:59