Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Location: New Haven, CT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:43
VictoryMBA wrote:
Maybe I just don't remember correctly, but these essay questions seem quite a bit more specific and thought intensive than they were last year. The essays last year were essentially why an MBA and why Yale or something along those lines weren't they?



Yes, they are much more specific than last year.
_________________

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:44
VictoryMBA wrote:
Maybe I just don't remember correctly, but these essay questions seem quite a bit more specific and thought intensive than they were last year. The essays last year were essentially why an MBA and why Yale or something along those lines weren't they?


Check out the second post, I posted last years essays and made some comments on how they're different. I also made some comments on the post right above yours. You're right, they are definitely more specific and tougher than last year.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Location: New Haven, CT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:49
[/quote]Check out the second post, I posted last years essays and made some comments on how they're different. I also made some comments on the post right above yours. You're right, they are definitely more specific and tougher than last year.[/quote]

I don't think they are tougher as far as the questions themselves. i guess it's personal preference but I think having a question guide you is much easier than being given a blank canvas. Granted, there is one extra question. Also, i do see where you are coming from.

Let me know how i can help you guys/glas answer these questions.
_________________

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:57
lanter1 wrote:

I don't think they are tougher as far as the questions themselves. i guess it's personal preference but I think having a question guide you is much easier than being given a blank canvas. Granted, there is one extra question. Also, i do see where you are coming from.

Let me know how i can help you guys/glas answer these questions.



Yeah, I think for me the main thing that makes it tougher is the way they changed the leadership question. Outside of work, I led a 15 person team that put on this big event for over 200 people. I planned to use it for all my leadership essays. If the question was the same as last year I'd be able to use this experience for Yale and Tuck. Now, Yale has made the question about work only and blown this option out of the water. Essay 1 is also tougher because last year it was just short-term, long-term, why Yale, which I have clear answers for. Now they have added in a unique element about the impact I want to have on the world which is not something I've put any thought into.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 15:47
lanter1 wrote:
Please let me know if you will be visiting new haven. I can't wait to meet some fellow GMATclubbers.


When does Yale start scheduling on campus visits? I'll be visiting this fall!

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Location: New Haven, CT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 18:13
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
lanter1 wrote:

I don't think they are tougher as far as the questions themselves. i guess it's personal preference but I think having a question guide you is much easier than being given a blank canvas. Granted, there is one extra question. Also, i do see where you are coming from.

Let me know how i can help you guys/glas answer these questions.



Yeah, I think for me the main thing that makes it tougher is the way they changed the leadership question. Outside of work, I led a 15 person team that put on this big event for over 200 people. I planned to use it for all my leadership essays. If the question was the same as last year I'd be able to use this experience for Yale and Tuck. Now, Yale has made the question about work only and blown this option out of the water. Essay 1 is also tougher because last year it was just short-term, long-term, why Yale, which I have clear answers for. Now they have added in a unique element about the impact I want to have on the world which is not something I've put any thought into.


What was the big event...can you use it to tie into the impact on the world? Just trying to think of a way to put it all together.
_________________

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 171
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 01:25
FYI Yale dates announced

Application Admissions Decision
Round 1 Oct. 22, 2008 Jan. 16, 2009
Round 2 Jan. 7, 2009 Apr. 10, 2009
Round 3 Mar. 18, 2009 May 8, 2009

http://www.mba.yale.edu/MBA/admissions/ ... ndex.shtml
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Location: New Haven, CT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 10:57
FYI...R1 carries a lot of clout from what I have heard.
_________________

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 13:29
lanter1 wrote:
FYI...R1 carries a lot of clout from what I have heard.



Hypothetically speaking, if I apply in R1 and I get accepted by January, would I have to pay a deposit? And if so, how much? What happens if I pay and don't go?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 608
Location: The High Seas
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 15:20
sarzan wrote:
lanter1 wrote:
FYI...R1 carries a lot of clout from what I have heard.



Hypothetically speaking, if I apply in R1 and I get accepted by January, would I have to pay a deposit? And if so, how much? What happens if I pay and don't go?



I don't know how much it will be, but you will lose your deposit money if you don't go (the point of a deposit is to hold your seat in class). Otherwise it will be applied to your tuition when you matriculate.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Location: New Haven, CT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 15:38
We had to pay our fee in april after being accepted in R1 and yes, you are out of luck if you don't attend.
_________________

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 18:16
lanter1 wrote:
We had to pay our fee in april after being accepted in R1 and yes, you are out of luck if you don't attend.



But do you know how much the deposit is? I think Columbia's $5000
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Location: New Haven, CT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 19:43
sarzan wrote:
But do you know how much the deposit is? I think Columbia's $5000



It is $1,000...I think the 5k is only for early decision. I could be wrong.
_________________

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 21:49
lanter1 wrote:
sarzan wrote:
But do you know how much the deposit is? I think Columbia's $5000



It is $1,000...I think the 5k is only for early decision. I could be wrong.


Columbia has a deposit of 6k due within two weeks if you are admitted in the Early Decision round.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 05:56
lanter1 wrote:
sarzan wrote:
But do you know how much the deposit is? I think Columbia's $5000



It is $1,000...I think the 5k is only for early decision. I could be wrong.



So is it $1000 for Yale too?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 610
Location: New Haven, CT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:46
1000 for yale...below are some stats for the class of 2010:

Class of 2010*

Average GMAT Score 718
Middle 80% range 670-760
Average Quantitative 47 (81st percentile)
Mid 80% GMAT Quantitative 42-50
Average Verbal 42 (95th percentile)
Mid 80% GMAT Verbal 35-47
Average College GPA 3.5
_________________

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 06:45
lanter1 wrote:
1000 for yale...below are some stats for the class of 2010:

Class of 2010*

Average GMAT Score 718
Middle 80% range 670-760
Average Quantitative 47 (81st percentile)
Mid 80% GMAT Quantitative 42-50
Average Verbal 42 (95th percentile)
Mid 80% GMAT Verbal 35-47
Average College GPA 3.5


Not sure how many schools actually break down the GMAT sections. Are there any other schools that have such a high verbal average compared with the quant average?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 07:06
IHateTheGMAT,

Just wondering, where did you get the essay questions? I see that the app is not yet up.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 07:36
From Clear Admit. Keep an eye on that blog, somehow they get all the essay questions immediately. I guess Yale adcom posted them on some blog or something and that's where Clear Admit got them.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 07:39
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2008, 07:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
268 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2011 Yale SOM Applicants Richaarora22 2001 10 Jun 2010, 10:30
63 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants nink 913 02 Jul 2009, 06:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22    Next  [ 423 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.