Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS

Matriculating @ Yale SOM - Class of 2011
Fantastic (9)

graffiti
nink
ruthlessgravity
happybunny
formerlehmanite
smokedpotatoes2
mike22 - Silver Scholar
jsam
freshlook

Class of 2011, Legend in the Making......

R1:

Stats:
GC Applied: 18
Interview Offered: 11
Accepted: 5
Admit Percentage: 31.25%

nink – Accepted with scholarship (1/5)
blake5790 – Accepted (12/19)
mindruna – Accepted (12/19)
graffiti – Accepted (12/19)
happybunny - Accepted
dharmabum - dinged
Leverandon - dinged
mickster402 - dinged
nTang - dinged
Pathfinder77 - dinged
sterny - Interview Invite (12/2) - withdrew
wooster123 - Interview Invite (11/24) - withdrew
cez - WL
IHatetheGMAT - WL withdrew
Irishspring - waiting
marinaGMAT – waiting
ndiaconu - waiting
PhoenixBanker - Interview Invite (11/3)

R2:

Stats:
GC Applied: 21
Interview Offered: 15
Accepted: 10
Admit Percentage: 47.6%

rca215 – admitted 2/27/09 (w scholarship)
lasttotheparty - admitted 2/27/09
ruthlessgravity - admitted (w scholarship)
smokedpotatoes – admitted (w scholarship)
formerlehmanite1 - admitted
BearStearner - admitted
thedudeabides - admitted
MbaHopeful2009 - admitted
mike22 - admitted
jsam- admitted
lsuguy7 - ding
hardaway7 - ding
raabend - ding
jmerry- WL
yellowjacket - Interview Invite - withdrew
pguard - Interview Invite - withdrew
Zoemoe - Interview Invite
F13 - Interview Invite (2/28/09)
levfin2003
matty0212 - withdrawn
wonderhaven

Last edited by nink on 16 May 2009, 23:08, edited 51 times in total.
updated info
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM Essay Questions [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 21:56
I just keep getting more unhappy with the essays that have come out so far! Granted these essays are not to bad and they are certainly easier than the M7 schools (especially Chicago, not looking forward to those essays) but I was counting on this app being really easy like it was the last few years. For comparison here was last years:

Why an MBA? (Required)
Please describe your short and long term goals and how your previous experience and an MBA will help you to achieve these goals. (500 words maximum.)

Leadership Example (Required)
Describe a situation in which your leadership and/or teamwork had a significant impact. (500 words maximum.)

Personal Statement (Required)
Please develop a question/topic of your choice and answer it in essay form. Please state the question/topic at the beginning of your essay. (500 words maximum.)

The thing that bothers me the most is that the leadership example now specifically asks for professional ONLY whereas in the past you could use an EC. I had planned to use an EC example as I have a significant leadership experience there. I was going to use it for Yale and Tuck that way I only had to write about it once. Now, Yale won't let me use that leadership example.... I need to change my screename to IHateAdmissionsEssays :-D

EDIT: Oh and I love how they added a little twist to the goals essay this year. Impact the world?? These schools are making it really tough for me to just reuse my goals essay accross schools like applicants have done for years. Now both Chicago and Yale have unique twists on that question.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Yale SOM Essay Questions [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:34
Can you please start the Yale post in http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/103-t66319?
Director
Director

Re: Yale SOM Essay Questions [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:41
Sam took care of it
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Yale SOM Essay Questions [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 10:11
I'm trying to get to the application, but it wont let me. I registered last year but never applied, and now everytime I try to login it says "the 2008 cycle has ended" or something to that affect. Any suggestions?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 10:44
I may be in for Round 2, still trying to decide...

I really like the direction I feel Yale is going, as well as the social consciousness aspect of their program. Best of luck to all applying!

~Sam

P.S. Thanks for letting me change the topic title IHateTheGMAT.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 10:58
I'm planning to apply for round 2. I really like the MBA/MEM dual degree option, or at the very least the option to take classes in the School of Forestry/Environment. My final decision will depend on what I see during my on-campus visit, which should hopefully happen in late October after R1 applications are in!

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Director
Director

Re: Yale SOM Essay Questions [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 11:06
VictoryMBA wrote:
I'm trying to get to the application, but it wont let me. I registered last year but never applied, and now everytime I try to login it says "the 2008 cycle has ended" or something to that affect. Any suggestions?

The app is not up yet. Just the questions
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 12:55
I am here for questions as well...i added the questions to the ambassador forum.

A few observations about the questions:

1. The questions went from 3 to 4. I am not sure why this happened. Maybe they only want applicants who are serious about attending Yale and adding a question will lead to this.

2. Question three was open-ended last year with the applicant writing the question versus having choices. I think this can work for you in that you have a focused list to pick from versus just picking something at random. This will allow you to answer a question you know the adcom wants you to answer.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Last edited by lanter1 on 21 Jul 2008, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 444 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 12:57
lanter1,

I've seen you discuss the class size issue and a new building. When is the new building going to be complete? How big will the class size be at that point? What affect do you think this will have on admission criteria? What affect do you think this will have on the overall ranking?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 13:05
jallenmorris wrote:
lanter1,

I've seen you discuss the class size issue and a new building. When is the new building going to be complete? How big will the class size be at that point? What affect do you think this will have on admission criteria? What affect do you think this will have on the overall ranking?

If you apply to be in the class of 2011, you will experience the new building in the second year. Also, if you are applying this fall, the new class size may be 20 more people from what I have heard.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 13:10
Please let me know if you will be visiting new haven. I can't wait to meet some fellow GMATclubbers.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 13:22
Hey Lanter,

I'm glad they're considering increasing the class of 2011 to 200 students and that we would have access to the new building during our second year.

Couple questions on the essay questions. What do you think of the changes to essay 1 and 2 from last year? On essay 2 they narrowed the scope from last year and seem to only be interested in leaderhip experience at work, as opposed to an extracurricular organization. Do you read it the same way? Also, what do you think of this "What is the impact that you wish to have on the world" component to the goals essay?
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:17
Maybe I just don't remember correctly, but these essay questions seem quite a bit more specific and thought intensive than they were last year. The essays last year were essentially why an MBA and why Yale or something along those lines weren't they?
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:42
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hey Lanter,

I'm glad they're considering increasing the class of 2011 to 200 students and that we would have access to the new building during our second year.

Couple questions on the essay questions. What do you think of the changes to essay 1 and 2 from last year? On essay 2 they narrowed the scope from last year and seem to only be interested in leaderhip experience at work, as opposed to an extracurricular organization. Do you read it the same way? Also, what do you think of this "What is the impact that you wish to have on the world" component to the goals essay?

I think to understand the "impact that you wish to have on the world" you first have to realize what SOM is about. The school is about business and society. They want you to be able to make business decisions that not only help the "bottom line" but that are also good for society as a whole (maybe we could have avoided the mortgage crisis if this is how everyone thought).

As far as question two, I am not sure. Maybe too many apps last year focused on outside of work for the majority of leadership experience and they are narrowing the focus. Or they may have two many people applying that are only leaders outside of work and they want leaders within a working environment. Personally, I feel it is much more impressive to be a leader at work than in volunteering (although volunteering is very important) setting. Most volunteers I know from business and/or professional settings are leaders anyway and that is why they take the time to help others.

Overall, i like these questions better because they are very specific and have narrowed the scope. You can get a real sense of the type of candidate a school wants by the wording of the questions. Use this to your advantage.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:43
VictoryMBA wrote:
Maybe I just don't remember correctly, but these essay questions seem quite a bit more specific and thought intensive than they were last year. The essays last year were essentially why an MBA and why Yale or something along those lines weren't they?

Yes, they are much more specific than last year.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:44
VictoryMBA wrote:

Check out the second post, I posted last years essays and made some comments on how they're different. I also made some comments on the post right above yours. You're right, they are definitely more specific and tougher than last year.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:49
[/quote]Check out the second post, I posted last years essays and made some comments on how they're different. I also made some comments on the post right above yours. You're right, they are definitely more specific and tougher than last year.[/quote]

I don't think they are tougher as far as the questions themselves. i guess it's personal preference but I think having a question guide you is much easier than being given a blank canvas. Granted, there is one extra question. Also, i do see where you are coming from.

Let me know how i can help you guys/glas answer these questions.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 14:57
lanter1 wrote:

I don't think they are tougher as far as the questions themselves. i guess it's personal preference but I think having a question guide you is much easier than being given a blank canvas. Granted, there is one extra question. Also, i do see where you are coming from.

Let me know how i can help you guys/glas answer these questions.

Yeah, I think for me the main thing that makes it tougher is the way they changed the leadership question. Outside of work, I led a 15 person team that put on this big event for over 200 people. I planned to use it for all my leadership essays. If the question was the same as last year I'd be able to use this experience for Yale and Tuck. Now, Yale has made the question about work only and blown this option out of the water. Essay 1 is also tougher because last year it was just short-term, long-term, why Yale, which I have clear answers for. Now they have added in a unique element about the impact I want to have on the world which is not something I've put any thought into.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 15:47
lanter1 wrote:
Please let me know if you will be visiting new haven. I can't wait to meet some fellow GMATclubbers.

When does Yale start scheduling on campus visits? I'll be visiting this fall!

RF

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2008, 15:47