Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 08:56
chessmaster1234 wrote:
junaidjanjua wrote:
The yield from waitlist pool seems disappointingly low for Yale. Was any waitlisted R1 candidate admitted?

I disagree. If you look back at past years. Many people who were still waitlisted at r3 decision and actively interested in the school were admitted between may and july.

Dean Snyder had an online chat yesterday with admitted students and mentioned that yield and # of apps was higher this year though he did not specify by how much. Obviously, it's too early to tell how R2 yield will be but just something to keep in mind for those waiting.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 09:35
haxx19 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:
junaidjanjua wrote:
The yield from waitlist pool seems disappointingly low for Yale. Was any waitlisted R1 candidate admitted?

I disagree. If you look back at past years. Many people who were still waitlisted at r3 decision and actively interested in the school were admitted between may and july.

Dean Snyder had an online chat yesterday with admitted students and mentioned that yield and # of apps was higher this year though he did not specify by how much. Obviously, it's too early to tell how R2 yield will be but just something to keep in mind for those waiting.

# of apps isn't as relevant as yield for WLers. Even more important than compared to last year is what they were expecting - I assume they expected an increased yield based on the last few years trend. No school wants to OVER enroll so they always err on the side of under enrolling and filling from WL.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 09:52
And not that this is any official indication (and subject to change on a day to day basis) BUT The fb group has 220 people in it. Last years fb group had 289 (40 more than class of 249). If they are increasing class to 270, you would expect the fb group would eventually have somewhere around 310 before class was filled. Of course many people don't join the group and many are matriculating elsewhere but are still members, so its quite inexact.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:00
Expert's post
chessmaster1234 wrote:
And not that this is any official indication (and subject to change on a day to day basis) BUT The fb group has 220 people in it. Last years fb group had 289 (40 more than class of 249). If they are increasing class to 270, you would expect the fb group would eventually have somewhere around 310 before class was filled. Of course many people don't join the group and many are matriculating elsewhere but are still members, so its quite inexact.

You're also missing any R3 admits and I'd expect more R2 admits to join after welcome weekend should they decide to matriculate.

One thing I've noticed from R1 is that some people have removed themselves from the group when they decided to go elsewhere, which would at least decrease the numbers inflation from cross admits.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:03
aerien wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

You're also missing any R3 admits and I'd expect more R2 admits to join after welcome weekend should they decide to matriculate.

One thing I've noticed from R1 is that some people have removed themselves from the group when they decided to go elsewhere, which would at least decrease the numbers inflation from cross admits.

All very true. I'm just hoping the yield r2 is much lower than expected. But thats me being selfish!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:07
chessmaster1234 wrote:
aerien wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

All very true. I'm just hoping the yield r2 is much lower than expected. But thats me being selfish!

I would also say that the FB group is still accepting people (it looks like ~7 people were just added a few hours ago), so who knows how indicative the current number is. I do agree with chessmaster1234's assessment on the role of the waitlist though. I can't imagine yield not being a high priority since Dean Snyder is all about climbing the rankings while Yale has historically had the lowest yield of the top 15 schools. That could only lead to a heaver reliance on the WL.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 13:51
haxx19 wrote:

I would also say that the FB group is still accepting people (it looks like ~7 people were just added a few hours ago), so who knows how indicative the current number is. I do agree with chessmaster1234's assessment on the role of the waitlist though. I can't imagine yield not being a high priority since Dean Snyder is all about climbing the rankings while Yale has historically had the lowest yield of the top 15 schools. That could only lead to a heaver reliance on the WL.

I wouldn't stress too much over the stats

220 on the FB group versus 289 of last year is really seemingly hopeful
I would wait, though, until other important dates pass (admitted weekend, deposit deadline... etc).

Good luck everybody!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 06:14
Hi all,

it seems some schools are planning on using the wait list a lot this year. In the sloan forum, they predicted about 50 will come off wait list. WL has a ripple effect when top schools take people off it trickles down. Not sure what effect schools like booth, sloan, wharton using WL more than other years could have on SOM WL.
Current Student

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 10:26
I gave a call to the admissions office a few days ago and the person told me that “Waitlisters will be considered AFTER the Round 3 decision”.
This is awkward, because I saw a few people who were waitlisted on R1 having updates on their application on the R2 decision date. Therefore, I thought we would have our decision analogously (R2 WL to have the decision BY R3 or afterwards).
Has anybody else heard something like that? I am not sure if I wrongly understood that or they will really consider us after the R3.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 11:01
goodluck to all
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 13:43
rainfall wrote:
I gave a call to the admissions office a few days ago and the person told me that “Waitlisters will be considered AFTER the Round 3 decision”.
This is awkward, because I saw a few people who were waitlisted on R1 having updates on their application on the R2 decision date. Therefore, I thought we would have our decision analogously (R2 WL to have the decision BY R3 or afterwards).
Has anybody else heard something like that? I am not sure if I wrongly understood that or they will really consider us after the R3.

Waitlist is mostly used to fill in last minute dropouts during the summer. You aren't getting in dude. Maybe a few people will, but that's it.
Current Student
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 15:11
I emailed the admissions committee asking for feedback exactly 2 weeks ago and I have not received any sort of response. Anyone have any luck with the adcom trying to get feedback on the application?
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.58
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 00:31
I sent them an email as well more than 10 days ago for feedback but haven't received anything.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 08:45
rainfall wrote:

R1 WL'er here.

the updated that happened at R2 decision date were rejections or re-waitlists. To me, this reads as adcom "letting go" of WL'ers after seeing who accepted R1 offers and who applied R2. Adcom may wait till after R3 because R3 is the smallest and maybe they don't expect the same sort of high #s of applicants in R3. It makes sense to me that Adcom might let go a few people with the R3 decisions, but would wait to make WL offers until after they see who enrolls/confirms from R3.

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 06:33
Has anyone heard anything back?
Current Student
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 07:34
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I am a little disappointed with how SOM is handling the waitlisted candidates. It's been almost a month since I requested feedback and I haven't heard anything.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 07:56
Its crazy that they haven't acknowledged or at least a pity email saying "Hang in guys we ll send your feedback shortly" .
Current Student

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 08:38
mba20155 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I am a little disappointed with how SOM is handling the waitlisted candidates. It's been almost a month since I requested feedback and I haven't heard anything.

I was a bit disappointed, too. It happens, man. But I still think it is great once you are in
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 11:03
rainfall wrote:
mba20155 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I was a bit disappointed, too. It happens, man. But I still think it is great once you are in

The good news is that the round 2 decision deadline is right around the corner (May 1) and the round 3 application deadline just passed, so now the adcom has a full idea of the applicant pool and a good sense for how many people are accepting their offers.

In case it is at all helpful (not that I think you can extrapolate much from this, unfortunately), the Facebook group currently stands at 274 members.

I know it's frustrating, but keep in mind that this is probably a very busy time at adcom (figuring out which round 3 candidates to interview and answering a flurry of questions from round 2-ers on the brink of depositing). I've found that Yale was very personalized in all my interactions, but sometimes it does take them longer to respond.

One of my good friends got off the waitlist at Yale, so it does happen! His tip was to make sure you absolutely say you will attend if accepted. Probably nothing you haven't heard already, but they really do want to see that you are 100% committed to Yale.

Good luck, guys! Hope to see some of you at orientation in a few months :-D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 23

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2013, 03:15
I sent in my letter of intent + update letter last week and got no response either. Judging from the earlier posts on here, I think they've put the WL-candidate stack on hold until they sort everything else out. I'm guessing / hoping this thread will start seeing some action from the third week of May onwards.
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2013, 03:15