Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 05:45
rocket1741 wrote:
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
Same here. DING. I honestly don't know what more i could have done. I thought for sure I would get in, much less remain on the waitlist.

I updated ADCOM on a promotion at work, additional international responsibilities at work etc. I met more SOM students, reached out to the ones I'd previously met and even reached out to clubs I previously mentioned I was interested in. I even attended the Yale Philanthropy Conference at the suggestion of a current Net Impact member where I had a wonderful experience and had the pleasure of meeting Professors Nalebuff, Sheldon and Kolditz, all of whom I had meaningful conversations with. I attempted to help a current SOM student with his internship interview which just happened to be at my current company (all of this was on my Update Letter). I truly don't know what more I could have done.

wow, that was one impressive effort. Sorry about the ding, but looking at this forum, it seems like lot of other people got dinged also. I am thinking that they had higher than expected yield and had to ding R1 WLers. Also, from what I have heard that after R2, if someone gets in from waitlist, its usually the R2 WLer.

Also, I think you might have ticked someone off in the adcom by doing all these things. I know sending updates is helpful, but I also think overdoing it hurt your candidacy more than it helps. I have heard couple adcom saying that if a school sense desperation in an applicant, they usually rejects him/her. The reason being, once you get into a b-school, you still face lots of waitlists/rejections during the recruiting process, so schools want to make sure that the applicant they are admitting is emotionally strong enough to let it go. Obviously, you did the best you could, but there were candidates who were lot more qualified than you were. I know it's a hard reality, but there is nothing we can change about it (As you can tell, I am on zero admit list). I will keep the head high and hope for other schools.

I disagree. NYCfinanceguy made a great effort and did all the right things. If a member of adcom thinks he is trying too hard, they need to get off their high horse and shove it. Think about it, everything they tell you to do is "talk to current students, come to our events, network with our staff". He did exactly that. Its all hoops and mazes they want you to jump through while they figure out who their most profitable class is. They just like letting you feel engaged while they piece together their class. This isnt Yale specific, all schools operate the same.

Ding for me as well yesterday from Yale, so maybe Im just a little bitter at the moment. I honestly did nothing to try and get myself off the waitlist. The whole process is messy and just kind of sucks. But thats the competitive world of business. Only the strong survive.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 06:53
I got waitlisted for Silver Scholars yet again ! :-(
is there any chance I might clear the waitlist post round 3 ?
plz help

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 11:38
Question for the R1 Waitlisters.

In the waitlist FAQ, it says the following:

"Before requesting feedback from our office, we advise that you review your application while considering the following list of the most common areas of concern and suggestions for addressing them"

So does this mean we can request feedback from admissions committee on the weaknesses of our application?

Has any of you R1 waitlisters asked for feedback on the application and gotten a response?

Please let me know if any of you have, and how detailed the response was.

Thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:04
mba20155 wrote:

"Before requesting feedback from our office, we advise that you review your application while considering the following list of the most common areas of concern and suggestions for addressing them"

So does this mean we can request feedback from admissions committee on the weaknesses of our application?

Has any of you R1 waitlisters asked for feedback on the application and gotten a response?

Thanks!

Hi- I asked for feedback after R1 and received a short paragraph a few weeks after asking (I sent the query email a few days after the decision). The paragraph of feedback was specific (in my case, it was "'there's nothing overtly wrong with your app' but you didn't make the cut" (paraphrasing). I decided to take a quant class and do some more things, anyway. Still on the WL though will likely withdraw next week. I have a full fellowship at Stern... and I have a feeling that even if I was accepted off the WL (at some mystic future date), there won't be $$ involved.

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:07
burgundy2015 wrote:
mba20155 wrote:

Thanks!

Hi- I asked for feedback after R1 and received a short paragraph a few weeks after asking (I sent the query email a few days after the decision). The paragraph of feedback was specific (in my case, it was "'there's nothing overtly wrong with your app' but you didn't make the cut" (paraphrasing). I decided to take a quant class and do some more things, anyway. Still on the WL though will likely withdraw next week. I have a full fellowship at Stern... and I have a feeling that even if I was accepted off the WL (at some mystic future date), there won't be $$ involved.

Hey, thanks for the response. Did they actually point you to specific things that you can address? or was that general "no huge problems with your app" pretty much it?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:10
mba20155 wrote:
burgundy2015 wrote:
mba20155 wrote:

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the response. Did they actually point you to specific things that you can address? or was that general "no huge problems with your app" pretty much it?

Well, like in the WL FAQ, I'm sure they could have (/have said to other people) "take a quant class" "retake the GMAT" etc. Nothing specific for me - just what you said "no huge problems".

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 12:56
burgundy2015 wrote:
Well, like in the WL FAQ, I'm sure they could have (/have said to other people) "take a quant class" "retake the GMAT" etc. Nothing specific for me - just what you said "no huge problems".

I see. Thanks for the help. Good luck at Stern! Free ride is always good. I might end up there too haha
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 09:30
aerien wrote:
powerpuff wrote:
I know people have spoken about retaking the exam. I applied with my GRE Score and it is old (2009 July). Could that have caused my being waitlisted?

Only retake your exam if you think you can significantly improve your score and/or your score is expiring and you still want to apply.

That being said, being waitlisted doesn't come down to one specific factor. Adcoms as far as I know don't look at an application and say "darn, if only this person scored 10 points more on the Gmat, we would accept them". While the score (the score itself, not when you took it) could be a factor, there's also your essays, your transcript, your recs, and your interview -- all go into it.

For the record I applied with near expiring scores too and things worked out. I really didn't want to retake so I made sure Id go somewhere this year.

Thanks aerien! Made a list of things I want to give an update about, lets see if things work out! :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:00

Last edited by chessmaster1 on 03 Mar 2014, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 15:32
Expert's post
chessmaster1 wrote:
When do r2 WLs usually hear back? Post deposit deadline? With r3 decision? Anyone have any yield predictions? I'm guessing any movement will depend on yield more than anything else...

I'd guess with R3 since R1 WLs heard with R2s, but I have no actual facts to back that up with. Good luck!!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 06:07
Has anyone sent any updates or letter of intent yet?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 06:12
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I did both and received positive feedback from an AdCom member on the letter of intent stating, "Thanks so much for your thoughtful note. I will certainly convey your thoughts to the Admissions Committee later this week."

But not sure if its worth following in my footsteps as I was dinged on Thursday (Rd1 Waitlisted candidate).
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 11:17
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I already have a list of things to update the adcom on, but I am still going to ask them for official feedback today. Once I get that response, I am going to send them the letter of intent along with all the things I am addressing to strengthen my app. All the waitlisters should submit additional info latest by May 1st since that is the deposit deadline for R2 folks.
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.58
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 22:51
The yield from waitlist pool seems disappointingly low for Yale. Was any waitlisted R1 candidate admitted?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 04:22
junaidjanjua wrote:
The yield from waitlist pool seems disappointingly low for Yale. Was any waitlisted R1 candidate admitted?

I disagree. If you look back at past years. Many people who were still waitlisted at r3 decision and actively interested in the school were admitted between may and july.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V0
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 08:56
chessmaster1234 wrote:
junaidjanjua wrote:

I disagree. If you look back at past years. Many people who were still waitlisted at r3 decision and actively interested in the school were admitted between may and july.

Dean Snyder had an online chat yesterday with admitted students and mentioned that yield and # of apps was higher this year though he did not specify by how much. Obviously, it's too early to tell how R2 yield will be but just something to keep in mind for those waiting.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 09:35
haxx19 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:
junaidjanjua wrote:

Dean Snyder had an online chat yesterday with admitted students and mentioned that yield and # of apps was higher this year though he did not specify by how much. Obviously, it's too early to tell how R2 yield will be but just something to keep in mind for those waiting.

# of apps isn't as relevant as yield for WLers. Even more important than compared to last year is what they were expecting - I assume they expected an increased yield based on the last few years trend. No school wants to OVER enroll so they always err on the side of under enrolling and filling from WL.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 09:52
And not that this is any official indication (and subject to change on a day to day basis) BUT The fb group has 220 people in it. Last years fb group had 289 (40 more than class of 249). If they are increasing class to 270, you would expect the fb group would eventually have somewhere around 310 before class was filled. Of course many people don't join the group and many are matriculating elsewhere but are still members, so its quite inexact.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:00
Expert's post
chessmaster1234 wrote:
And not that this is any official indication (and subject to change on a day to day basis) BUT The fb group has 220 people in it. Last years fb group had 289 (40 more than class of 249). If they are increasing class to 270, you would expect the fb group would eventually have somewhere around 310 before class was filled. Of course many people don't join the group and many are matriculating elsewhere but are still members, so its quite inexact.

You're also missing any R3 admits and I'd expect more R2 admits to join after welcome weekend should they decide to matriculate.

One thing I've noticed from R1 is that some people have removed themselves from the group when they decided to go elsewhere, which would at least decrease the numbers inflation from cross admits.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:03
aerien wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

You're also missing any R3 admits and I'd expect more R2 admits to join after welcome weekend should they decide to matriculate.

One thing I've noticed from R1 is that some people have removed themselves from the group when they decided to go elsewhere, which would at least decrease the numbers inflation from cross admits.

All very true. I'm just hoping the yield r2 is much lower than expected. But thats me being selfish!
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2013, 10:03