Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Berkeley-Haas Fall 2008 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 00:02
quite useful kripalkavi. Haas isn't due in 5 weeks, so I still have time to tweak things. What I'm wondering about is how to split the research you've done on Haas between Short Answer #4 and the Goals Essay "Why Haas" part.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 01:02
kryzak wrote:
quite useful kripalkavi.

Just call me Kripal. :-)
kryzak wrote:
What I'm wondering about is how to split the research you've done on Haas between Short Answer #4 and the Goals Essay "Why Haas" part.

I didn't do this research! Clearadmit.com did it. Anyway, here is my opinion:
Short answer no.4 clearly asks you what you have done to find out about Haas right? So I guess talking about attending the campus visits, info sessions, talking to alumni/students comes in here. In the Goals essay, you can talk more about specific courses, clubs and other activities that you want to be doing at Haas. Just a thought....
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 03:52
kryzak - if you go to Haas 2 more times, they will just give u a honorary seat. I think at this point of time the janitor also knows that you are a prospective applicant. Probably at Oakland they are playing street dice and betting 4 to 1 odds in favor of you getting into Haas.

Perseverance pays, but you, my friend set a whole new example.

Haas sounds like a fun school to be. I had it initially on my wish list (I also had Wharton and Harvard on my wish list, hehe some wish list indeed. I prefer to keep them as wishes). Now its no more.

I am almost at the end of the rope with these application essays.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 04:11
aviroop wrote:
kryzak - if you go to Haas 2 more times, they will just give u a honorary seat. I think at this point of time the janitor also knows that you are a prospective applicant. Probably at Oakland they are playing street dice and betting 4 to 1 odds in favor of you getting into Haas.

Ha ha ha! Priceless! Shoot, I really want to go to school with you man :-) With your pimpin' 'talent' and your sense of humour, B-school'll be one big party!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 07:57
kripalkavi wrote:
aviroop wrote:

Ha ha ha! Priceless! Shoot, I really want to go to school with you man :-) With your pimpin' 'talent' and your sense of humour, B-school'll be one big party!

Not to mention his poor track record picking up women, you can have all the fun to yourself when you go clubbing with him :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 08:23
good info kripal, and LOL at Avi/NC

The thing is, at Accepted.com and Stacy Blackman's essay tips, they recommend that you not just talk about your visits and contacts with Haas in Short Answer 4, but also talk about why that made you want to go there. Then the essay sounds almost identical to the "Why Berkeley?" in the goals essay.

My thought was to do:

Short Answer 4: Talk about all the visits, talking to students, infosessions, social/regional clubs etc... I've done and connect that to why I want to go.

Goals Essay: Talk about the classes, teaching style, collaborative culture and business clubs that will help me achieve my goals.

Does that work?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Haas Lodging [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 15:08
For anyone that has visited/lives in the area do you have any hotel recommendations? I was going to try not to rent a car since it seems like parking is challenging, but am open. Ideally I'd like to find a hotel that is not a fortune, but not ghetto either and that is close to campus. Maybe that is asking too much, but it can't hurt to ask, right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 18:33
Berkeley has very few "livable" hotels. I often stay at the Holiday Inn Express (HIE) on University near San Pablo, but it's NOT a walkable distance (and you don't want to walk in that area after dark either). It's also very expensive, roughly $160/night. Durant Hotel is very close to Haas, but it's also expensive and kinda old/worn down. There's a "Campus Motel" and a "Best Western" near HIE, but they're kinda crappy.

There is a bus that goes up University you can take, but it comes about once an hour or so. Once you get to University and Shattuck, during the day you can take the perimeter shuttle (either direction is fine) to get to Haas, and the opposite end of campus.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

hotels in northern cali [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 05:22
I'd try priceline... I've gotten great rooms for less than $35 a night around the Bay Area... but I'm not too certain what the coverage is specifically around Berkeley. If you are renting a car and are really strapped for cash, I'd suggest Oakland... I've lived in both places (near Berkeley and then right in ghetto Oakland) a few years back and it's really not so bad.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 12:00
Went to an Organizational Behavior class visit yesterday at Haas. It was a LOT of fun, since they had a special case study and action plan on the Orpheus Chamber Ensemble, the only conductor-free orchestra in the US and multiple Grammy winning CDs.

Since I used to play in some orchestras and know of Orpheus, the class was very entertaining for me. The highlight was when the Executive Director of the orchestra did a 30 minute Q&A discussing the organizational change and improvements they're doing right now (working with Haas students). That was a blast getting insights into how business and the "congruence" model works in real life.

Anyway, the students were really friendly, though from the Q&As, you can tell one or two are a bit more "cutthroat" than others. The presentation skills were all over the board, some great, some not so. The teacher was very very fun and energetic. The classrooms were nice, but a bit small with 9 extra guests (case study writers, 2nd year observers, guest lecturer from Israel, Executive Director, and 2 prospective students).

All in all, very good trip. Will have another one 10/15 if anyone is around, 4-5:30pm.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 17:26
I worked on my activities list for Haas today. Gosh I look bad. Plenty of activities from freshman year until 2002, and then basically nothing until early 07. Hopefully they'll count organizing baseball outings (4-6 games per season) for friends and coworkers as something... :cry:
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 10:16
I talked to a Haas alumni today who is a relative of one of my coworkers. He thought that my low GPA (3.25) was going to be a problem. To make matters worse, we had a major outage at work, and people kept trying to call and IM me, so I was distracted. I don't think I made a great impression. Overall, fairly discouraging.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2007, 10:20
bherronp, I am surprised with the statement that your GPA is a problem. I think your 760 GMAT more than makes up for it. Dont get discouraged. If the essays are all they are made up to be, then why wouldnt you have a great shot. Just slog on the essays. You will be fine.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2007, 19:57
First draft done! Let's see what it looks like tomorrow...in the daylight.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2007, 20:06
Two of my Berkeley essays got a "don't change anything" thumbs up from my reviewers. The others... not so good. I don't feel very creative right now though.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 21:52
Anyone care to share who they are planning to have dinner with in their essays?

I have one written but am not totally satisfied with it. The other option is one of my grandparents, but that might be too personal? I've just noticed that this set of essays does not really highlight my ethnicity, which I've done in all my other essays.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2007, 22:46
talk about some icon/hero/special person of the same ethnicity as you. That will allow you to explore your ethnicity and why you're inviting that person over for dinner.

I picked a sports star, not from a sport as popular as football, soccer, baseball or basketball, but someone I admired for over 10 years and followed his every competition. It demonstrates my passion for something outside of work.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 07:54
I'm late to post, but throwing my hat into the ring as well on this one. Plowing through my essays, not-so-gently prodding my recommenders to get a move on... actually, for one of them, he's making me write the rough draft myself. Argh. Hate that.

In terms of being too personal in essays, I think common sense rules the day. I mean, you don't want to come off as an open wound who needs massive therapy just to get through the day, but consider how many dry, boring essays the adcoms have to plow through. If referencing some personal details about yourself allows the adcom to get at the substance of who you are, I think that can only be good.

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 10:12
uphillclimb wrote:
actually, for one of them, he's making me write the rough draft myself. Argh. Hate that.

Umm...I'm not sure that's entirely healthy...
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 07:50
KingKREEP wrote:
uphillclimb wrote:
actually, for one of them, he's making me write the rough draft myself. Argh. Hate that.

Umm...I'm not sure that's entirely healthy...

It stinks, but what can I do? I work directly for him, he's our CEO, it would be weird if I didn't have him as one of my recommenders. I'm giving him the rough draft tomorrow - he assured me that he would edit the hell out of it and make it his own, and that he just wanted to make sure the reco hit all of the points and used all of the examples from work that I thought were relevant. I told him I would give him a list of vocabulary terms and phrases I thought he should use..."linchpin in the organization", "fulcrum upon which all business activity turns", "greatest thing since sliced bread", that kind of thing...
:)

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

[#permalink] 24 Oct 2007, 07:50