Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Berkeley-Haas Fall 2008 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 23:02
Considering that the career goals essay is only 350 words, how did u address all the elements of the goals essay.

Career progression
Long term goals
Short term goals
Why MBA?
Why UCB Haas?
What you will contribute?

Or, did you only answer the explicit question related to short and long term goals.

drucker_fan wrote:
Hi guys,
I am starting the HAAS PT program soon (orientation is next weekend :-) ), so if you've any questions, fire away!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 08:13
mNeo wrote:
Do you think that you'll be able to spend more time in the PT program than just attending the classes (Considering you'll be working FT too)? Have you made some plans about "going beyond attending the classes"?

ps. Sorry for hijacking the thread a little

That's a good point, and one that I think many of us (me especailly) need to remember to factor into your decision. One of the challenges I think all PT folks face is connecting with your fellow students, which can be hard with many irons in the fire at work, then head to school, then to see your S/O for 10 minutes to debrief on the day, then to bed.

This is one of the reasons Santa Clara, a good regional school, is still in the running for me. I'm 2 miles from campus, I'd just ride my bike, and can be very involved with the out of class aspects of the school. Haas is a bit of a drive, but still manageable, and Anderson is where I feel this would really be a challenge. I'm planning on taking the occasional day off and heading down to LA (if accept) just to keep in the loop at presentations, clubs, and the like.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 08:14
ncprasad wrote:
Considering that the career goals essay is only 350 words, how did u address all the elements of the goals essay.

Career progression
Long term goals
Short term goals
Why MBA?
Why UCB Haas?
What you will contribute?

Or, did you only answer the explicit question related to short and long term goals.

I picked up a book with 65 sucessful essays written by Harvard admits. It was a good exercise in brevity, a skill that I lack :)
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 01:19
ncprasad wrote:
My post may have been somewhat unclear. I will not work FT when I attend UCB PT. I will do freelance consulting(20 hrs) and get as much out of UCB as possible.

I already have a consulting business on the side and although I am currently doing pro bono, I will probably do paid consulting for new clients.

Thats an excellent idea..
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 13:03
another potential UCB applicant here! :o
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 13:33
Can we get a debrief on Saturday's event from someone attended?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

Excellent Berkeley Haas Infosession [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 13:38
Hey All,

Yesterday's Berkeley Haas Infosession was very well done. It was a 4 hour affair (went on for 5 because my tour guide was one of the most informative of the bunch). The adcom was very enegetic, wecoming, and exuded their excitement and passion for being at Haas. That was quite a contrast from Stanford, whose presentation was very professional, but didn't have the 'spark' that Haas did.

One can argue that Stanford doesn't need to try so hard to attract applicants as Haas does, but the Haas infosession is making me seriously consider spending more time making a decision IF I get into both schools.

The COO of the school spent 15 minutes or so welcoming the students. Then the adcom (4 ladies, 2 asian, 1 caucasian, 1 african american) told us why Haas is one of the top B-schools in the nation. They actually spent some time thinking about the reasons to differentiate themselves instead of just saying "We're the most innovative" or "we have a small class size". not all the reasons were perfectly good, but it showed that they spent time thinking about it. This is generally a complaint I've heard from people who have gone to multiple infosessions and said that all the presentations are the same and say the same thing. Haas was definitely trying to be different.

Then they spent about 30 minutes each on financial aid, admissions criteria, class profile, and an alum/student panel. We were running over the time limit as people had a lot of questions, but all the main points were addressed, and some new scholarships and other events were publicized (all can be found on the website, with a few other things that you can find through discussions on GMAT Club).

Finally we had a quick tour to see the 4 buildings that make up Haas. They mentioned that there isn't enough study space for teams, due to the small size of the UC Berkeley campus and nowhere to expand, but because there are only 240 students per class, all the deans and administrative people are very attentive to student needs.

You are split into cohorts of 60 people in your first year (as they mentioned on the website), but you're also assigned teams of 4 to do ALL your classwork together. Thus for the first semester, you'll know these 4 people very well.

Unlike Stanford, there are no "tiered" system to allow finance people to take more advanced finance classes, or managers to take more advanced managing classes. But you can opt out of the classes if you like.

The curriculum will not be changing in any drastic way anytime soon, but they often add new classes and professors based on student feedback, so it's an evolving thing instead of Stanford's major cirriculum change.

All in all, great experience, and I really hope I can get into Haas now! If you have any other questions, post and I'll try to answer.

Did anyone else go?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 15:23
Hi All
I am from Bay area too (south bay) working in Cupertino. I went to Berkeley info session and Kryzak described it quite well. I was planning for PT program but now I am considering FT program too. After the session I feel that FT has a different exposure to offer, which will not be possible by attending classes on Saturdays. Is there anyone else here who thinks same way too. I want to discuss the differences between the programs so lets start putting in our views.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 17:35
Thanks Kryzak!

Can't wait until classes start so that I can see for myself. While I was at Berkeley for undergrad, I only ventured to Haas once, for a final. Otherwise, I spent most of my time at Dwinelle, Barrows, Tollman, and Wheeler--complete opposite side of campus.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 20:11
Saturday was the first time I've been in the buildings. I've only walked through them a couple times as an undergrad. I spent most of my time in the engineering quad. =)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 12:51
Alright, quick question for all you Haas applicants. For the Supplemental questions, the ones that ask you to list all your extracurriculars, etc... is there a specific format you're following, or are you just listing things out?

Do they expect essay form, list form, or some other funky form?

Thanks!
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 13:01
I'm assuming we'll get more info on this after the application itself is released.

For now, I'm just listing things out for my own notes.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 13:04
cool, sounds like a plan, thanks! =)
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 23:54
Hi I am just curious if anyone knows, how heavily does Haas admissions weigh amount/depth of extracurricular activities? and also how recent and consistent should these be? Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 00:06
well, based on what their adcom and student ambassadors said, they are looking for a well-rounded and team player type of person. They don't want anyone who's just one-dimensional (then again, which top school doesn't?) and anyone who's cut-throat competitive. They want people who will be involved in the dozens of student clubs on campus, because the students run everything at Haas.

Thus, based on what I heard, extracurriculars are important and showing your "commitment" to those extracurriculars is probably more important than having tons of them that you do once in a while...

Just my guess of course, based on what I've heard... someone else chime in if you heard differently or have more details.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 06:28
thanks kryzak for your reply... i ask because i am afraid that my post college lack of consistent involvement will deter my chances. i was really involved with organizations during college where i held leadership positions but after college i have been focusing mainly on my career obviously. although since then i have done some extracurricular activities (occasionally) nothing's been consistent. the only thing i can think of is at my gym at work there is a group of us go on long/short runs - i lead and motivate everyone but i doubt that counts since it is not a "real" organization. also, at work i do currently manage a subordinate so i am her so-called mentor - again i don't know if that counts for anything.. thanks for any feedback!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 08:09
I'm not an expert on this, but all I can say is try to talk about the leadership qualities that you display in those activities that you do have. Do the best you can.

Maybe PM rhyme or Hjort and see what they have to say...
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 08:40
kryzak wrote:
I'm not an expert on this, but all I can say is try to talk about the leadership qualities that you display in those activities that you do have. Do the best you can.

Maybe PM rhyme or Hjort and see what they have to say...

thank you :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 08:55
beckee529 wrote:
Hi I am just curious if anyone knows, how heavily does Haas admissions weigh amount/depth of extracurricular activities? and also how recent and consistent should these be? Thanks in advance!

WHat program are you applying to? The full-time program places a lot of emphasis on extra curriculars. But for the PT program, Haas values recommendations over XCs. Atleast, that is what I was told at a recent info session.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 17:58
I feel that my goals essay is pretty good (although no where near complete) right now. But I can't seem to get it under 1200 words. Sigh.
  [#permalink] 09 Aug 2007, 17:58