Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling Berkeley-Haas Fall 2008 Applicants! [#permalink]
Alright, round 1 & 2 are set until 5/6 it seems when R3 results come out and W/L gets updated.

Haas/Berkeley Applicants Status - 3/30/2008
R1

Kryzak - R1 - Admitted!
jc2010 - R1 - Admitted!
branson - R1 - Admitted!
red_s4 - R1 - Admitted!
notokung - R1 - Admitted!
sensation - R1 - Waitlisted w/o Interview (until 5/6)
Toploader - R1 - Waitlisted w/o Interview (until 5/6)
wisepig - R1 - Withrawn after W/L
trojan812 - R1 - Dinged after W/L
mba2010 - R1 - Dinged with SS Interview
endof2008 - R1 - Dinged with SS Interview
PaulK - R1 - Dinged
Clobo - R1 - Dinged
bherronp - R1 - Dinged
beelay - R1 - Dinged
(not counted below)
BCC145 - R1 - Withdrawn (with interview invite)
DrivinWest - R1 - Submitted 11/5 (profile disappeared)
JJGooden - R1 - Invited for Interview (Super Saturday) - Disappeared

dahcrap - R1 PT - submitted - Invited for Interview
zakk - R1 PT - Invited for Interview

R2
isentropic - R2 - Accepted!
SkiC - R2 - Waitlist w/ interview
sangoman - R2 - Waitlist w/ Interview
skaballet - R2 - Waitlisted w/o Interview
ChristianW - R2 - Waitlisted w/o Interview
livehard - R2 - Dinged w/ interview
sperinko - R2 - Dinged
Evl - R2 - Dinged
uphillclimb - R2 - Dinged
cooldar - R2 - Under Review

ncprasad - R2 PT

R3
tnttijji - Submitted
bskool4me - Invited to Interview

R4
tfals82 - Submitted
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Dear Kryzak,
Thanks for pointing this out. Being new to the forum i was not aware of the subtle etiquette. My apologies. However, i am not being able to figure out how to acess the detailed profiles, even yours, when i click i am denied acess. How can i get access? kindly clarify.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
no problem devil, we definitely welcome new people here with open arms, but I just wanted to point out the difference. :wink:

To request, try this link:

ucp.php?i=167

If that doesn't work, go to the main forum page and look for the "Member Profile" area under B-School Applications. Then you should see a link that says "request" in the description.

If *that* doesn't work, then do what riverripper loves the most, PM him. :P

Let me know if all those fail. I think as a new member, you need to promise to post your profile before he lets you in, or make some good contributions (not just empty post counts) to the forum. Another way is to post your own profile at this link:

ucp.php?i=167

you can search for people by typing in a school they've applied to... we're trying to implement searching for users instead of text right now...

So for example, search for "Stanford" or "Haas" within the thread will give you everyone who applied there.

Hope that's helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'm a R3 applicant to Anderson... I just got an interview offer today.

I'm freaking out. If there is anyone out there who can help me with some wise advice about how to act and what questions to expect... I would really appreciate it.

Heck, if there is someone in the Bay Area (SF), I'd like to meet up and discuss the whole interview process with you.

Thanks!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
hey gmatnoob, search the Anderson thread and you'll see red_s4, ncprasad, and my interview notes. search "interview" or something.

If you still have questions, I *might* (no guarantees) have time to help you out for 30 minutes or so, I live in the South Bay. It's really NOT that stressful. I barely prepared for it other than read over my application and essays and really know what I want to do in b-school. After that, know the school (read over their programs, their clubs, their offerings, and what you want to do there). That's all you really need.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! I just realized I posted in the wrong thread :) That's how freaked out I was I guess.

I'll search on the UCLA thread first like you said. I may ping you later however. I'm also in the Bay Area.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info Kryzak. I too did not know about this.

Hey Devil, thanks for the wishes. I have posted my profile on the profile page. Best of luck with the application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey guys - i'm a R3 applicant and just got invited to interview. do you know if they have admit weekends for R3 and R4 people? just asking because if they don't, and i don't have the opportunity to meet other new admits, i don't think i'm going to even bother going on the interview... thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Round 3 decision deadline is April 30th, I believe. Days at Haas will be in May for those applicants. You're fine bobo.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Haas Interview Q&A [#permalink]
Posting my Haas Super Saturday Round 1 Interview back on January 19th. Realized I never posted it until I had a PM with these questions. Hope this will help future applicants!

1. Was yours by an alumni or a prof? Esp, what kind of questions were asked ( Any basic questions that you can recall?),
I was interviewed by an alum. The questions are typical (look at Clear Admit or Accepted.com for blogs). Basically the "Why MBA, why Haas, why now?" type questions. Name one failure you had and what you learned from it. What would you contribute to Haas' culture. Tell me in depth about your leadership experiences... etc.

2. How long was the interview.
Interview was 30-45 minutes. I did it on campus at Super Saturday, so yours may range from 30-90 minutes, depending on how you connect with the alum and how much time he/she has.

3. Did you face any odd questions?
No odd questions from Haas. It was probably my best interview.

4. How much time was allocated for you to ask questions? Did you prepare any list of questions that you referred to ask or did you prepare for the interview in anticipation of a list of question?
I asked questions for about 10-15 minutes. We got along so well our interview went to the limits of the time slot we had (45 minutes). I don't really prepare questions, as it's not my style. I generally have some in mind and then adapt it based on what we talked about during the interview.

5. Is it a blind interview? I assume Haas interviews are blind however I have heard sometimes they ask specific questions which the AdCom have told them to. Were you asked some specific questions? Just wondering...
Yes, it's a blind interview unless it's an AdCom interviewing you.

6. Any idea on how much is the importance of interview in Haas MBA process?
The interview is probably more important than other schools, but I wouldn't place too much emphasis on it. I would say it's probably on par with the GMAT/GPAs combined, but less important than your essays and work experience. Of course, this is all my own conjecture based on what I felt about the whole process. :)

7. What kind of conversion rate to success is expected after interview?

I would expect 50-60% conversion rate based on Admissions411 and historical figures, again, a rough estimate.

8. Were you asked which other schools did you apply to? And if yes, how did you tackle that? I have heard Haas is very curious about knowing about your choice of other schools and to know whether you are using Haas as your backup
No, I was never asked which other schools I applied to by any of my interviewers at all schools.

9. Anything else that you could recall
Just know your background very well, and know why you want to go to Haas and how you can contribute. relax and you'll do just great!

red_s4 and others may have comments too, so feel free to contribute! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
My Days at Haas Thoughts:

WOW! I had such an amazing time at DAH it wasn't even funny! On paper, some of the events sounded like they could have gone very well or very poorly (like dinner at students' houses and the scavenger hunt), but those ended up being some of the highlights of the event. I will go through it one event at a time and hopefully that'll answer some more questions people have about Haas. red_s4 and branson were there too, so I'd love to hear their take on this.

Thursday:
Receptions:

There was just too much food and drink around on Thursday. Pre-Reception, Reception, dinner, and then Bar of the Week. It was just a whirlwind of eating, drinking, and meeting people. Had great conversations with all the students and admits. It was especially great to see red_s4 again and also meet some of my friends I've been emailing off BW forums (yeah, you can actually make friends there, I'm shocked too! :P). The admissions director, MBA Association president, and the Haas Student Ambassadors (HSA) welcomed us in a very personal and friendly speech (unlike some others I've seen that are too forced or memorized). You definitely get a good sense of how close the students were with each other from the friendly banter and inside jokes (about 4am calls) they mentioned. Very well done.

Student Dinners:

I got assigned along with about 8 students to an apartment on the hill next to the stadium. The view was SPECTACULAR. You see the entire Berkeley all the way to the Bay and then the Golden Gate Bridge. We missed the sunset by 10-20 minutes, but the afterglow was still very impressive. The food was catered from Andronicos, but it was some of the most delicious dinners I've had in a while. Got to chat with a lot of 1st year students and admits. Good times. After dinner, we went upstairs to join with the other group of students (red_s4 was there) and hung out a bit more.

Bar of the Week:

This was at Thalassa on Shattuck and Durant. Huge bar, but the music was way too loud to really talk. My throat was killing me by that point talking for 6-7 hours straight. I left around 11:30pm since we had to get there by 8am the next day.

Friday:

Mock Case Study - Ryan Air:

WOW! Prof. Morgan was touted as one of the best professors on campus by the students, and he surpassed his already impressive reputation! I really enjoyed the mock class, the cold-calling, and the interactions we had with about 150 students. The ending to the case was very informative and I look forward to sitting in more classes with professors such as him.

Career Fair:

Lots of tables done by industries for students to mingle. I felt they needed more than an hour for you to talk to different tables, as there were just too many people around to really have long conversations with the different industries. I still like the format though, since you can just stand there and listen to another student's questions.

Faculty Panel:

The faculty seemed to really love teaching at Haas, and some of them were pretty well regarded in their fields. I got a good sense of the different areas of strength at Haas (non-profit, entrepreneurship, finance, etc...) by hearing the professors speak.

Lunch:

I got to chat with the Career Center director (who was a Cal undergrad and Kellogg MBA grad herself) and one of the director/professors for doing business in China. I need to call up the Career Center director and talk to her about the Haas vs Kellogg decision I still have to make.

Student Clubs and Financial Aid:

I went mostly to the Financial Aid talk. Nothing really new other than the financial aid guy was really funny.

Student Life and Housing Panel:

GREAT panel. The moderator was an amateur stand up comedian and the panel consisted of very fun people. We got a good sense of how much rent would be, where to live, what student life was like, etc... I love the "living in crushing loneliness" comments (hee hee :P)

Scavenger Hunt:

I won't spoil the secret to DAH II attendees, but this was definitely a highlight, and proved to me that I need to start working out again :P There are probably some incriminating evidence against me floating on YouTube or Flickr now. :P Highlight of the day!

Consumption Function:

Simply crazy! All the 1st and 2nd years were out and the entire courtyard area was packed. They got 2 very special "guest performances" (again, I won't spoil the secret) along with some admit performances (you'll just have to wait and see). It was a great way to meet tons of people, socialize, and see what the Haas/Cal spirit was like. I think this event solidified the view that Haas is a great place to study for 2 years and people will find tons of life-long friends they can network with in the future.

Saturday:

Alumni Panel:

Again, great alums from 1 year out to 14 years out. Lots of good examples of how they got to the job they are now and how the Alumni network helped them find their current job (without even trying too hard even!).

Wrap-Up:

The admission director's mock-phone call was definitely the funniest thing I've seen in a while. I guess it speaks to how many people are deciding between Haas and Kellogg right now. Scary thing is, I'll be seeing almost 10 of the Haas admits next weekend at DAK II, so that'll be a good time to really compare the two schools and see what their opinions are.

Optional Tours:

I took the wine tour just to hang out. Met a few new people, continued bonding with others, and had a lot of fun riding on a bus full of very drunk admits. I think we must have opened 20+ bottles of wine in that bus!

Overall:

The weather was AMAZING this past weekend, going up in the 70-80s. People were wearing shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops on Saturday, and it was still very warm. I found the Haas students and staff to be amazingly friendly, welcoming, and fun to hang out with. I don't know what Kellogg will be like (I heard it'll be very similar), but there will be zero regrets if I end up at Haas after this fun-filled admit weekend!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Bar of the Week:

This was at Thalassa on Shattuck and Durant. Huge bar, but the music was way too loud to really talk. My throat was killing me by that point talking for 6-7 hours straight. I left around 11:30am

Kryzak doesn't close down the bars... he reopens them in the morning also.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
LOL, great catch, thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
So I sent in my deposit to Berkeley on Sunday. Very excited to have that decision made!! I hope to see many of you next fall!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
woohoo!!! :woohoo
Intern
Intern
 Q51  V39
Send PM
Man, that sounds like it was a lot of fun!!! Hopefully, I'll be taken off the waitlist and I'll be heading to the next DAH. Well, at least I can dream :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
notokung, jc, branson, any word?

Haas/Berkeley Applicants Status - 4/15/2008
R1

red_s4 - R1 - Matriculating
Kryzak - R1 - Admitted!
jc2010 - R1 - Admitted!
branson - R1 - Admitted!
notokung - R1 - Admitted!
JJGooden - R1 - Invited for Interview (Super Saturday)
sensation - R1 - Waitlisted w/o Interview (until 5/6)
Toploader - R1 - Waitlisted w/o Interview (until 5/6)

dahcrap - R1 PT - submitted - Invited for Interview
zakk - R1 PT - Invited for Interview

R2
isentropic - R2 - Accepted!
SkiC - R2 - Waitlist w/ interview
sangoman - R2 - Waitlist w/ Interview
skaballet - R2 - Waitlisted w/o Interview
ChristianW - R2 - Waitlisted w/o Interview
cooldar - R2 - Under Review

ncprasad - R2 PT
GMAT Club Bot