Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1579 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 11:43
terp26 wrote:
I thought it was an open event, just checked the e-mail and you have to register and it is full! grrrr ha maybe ill go to the bar and have a drink anyway:)

Go anyway. People are often no shows.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 18:01
arrggh missed it..
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 20:44
Anyone else really struggling with Essay Question #2? :(

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 03:34
terp06 wrote:

Haven't started GSB essays yet, but that's going to be the toughest one I have to answer (out of all applications). Probably going with 2B, easier to come up with an example.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 22:48
Chicago GSB Clears Hurdles for International Students Seeking Loans

The Chicago Graduate School of Business (GSB) remains committed to finding funding for all of its students, both domestic and international, despite recent changes to its lending partner programs. In fact, the loan application process may prove smoother than ever thanks to a new online system.

This according to Rosemaria Martinelli, Chicago GSB director of admissions and financial aid, who reached out to us here at Clear Admit in the hopes of clarifying any confusion that may have resulted from announcements earlier this month that Chicago has ended its program with lending partner IDAPP.

“We were immediately able to get another loan program for international students with very much the same terms,” she said. That program has been locked in, and Chicago GSB is now just finalizing the terms, Martinelli continued. She expects that an announcement regarding the new lender and program will go out sometime in early August.

The loan process on the international student’s end will be seamless, Martinelli continued. “My job is just to calm down those who need to take out loans,” she said. “There is a guaranteed loan for international students – just the vendor or lender name will change this year.”

And because the university will act as guarantor of the loan, students need simply provide some basic application information. It is not a credit-based loan at all, Martinelli said.

In fact, the changes to the program could bring some distinct advantages, Martinelli pointed out. “It’s actually going to be much easier because our new system will likely be all done online versus the paper-based application we had in the past,” she said. “I really can’t imagine that there will be any more hiccups applying for loans.”

Confusion around the lending issue may have stemmed from newspaper reports earlier this month suggesting that Chicago had lost its ability to fund international students, says Martinelli. “This is absolutely not true,” she stated emphatically.

What is true is this: Chicago learned at the end of June that its lending partner, the Illinois Designated Account Purchase Program (IDAPP), was unable to renew its own line of credit with a private lender due to disruptions in the capital markets, which means that Chicago is no longer able to provide graduate students with federal Stafford, Graduate PLUS and Alternative Loans through its partnership with IDAPP and the School as Lender Program as of fall quarter 2008.

This means that students who have applied for loans for the 2008-2009 school year through the university’s partnership with IDAPP need to look elsewhere in the marketplace to obtain loans from other lenders, with the guidance and support of the financial aid staff. “Domestic students are not really impacted because they have so many other options,” Martinelli said. But because international students have a unique set of challenges in finding resources to finance their education, Chicago GSB focused its attention on finding a replacement loan program for them, Martinelli continued.

And thanks to the quick work of the Chicago GSB financial aid team, that replacement loan program has already been found, Martinelli assured us. So prospective Chicago GSB students – both from the U.S. and elsewhere – can breathe a sigh of relief.

“Chicago GSB is definitely committed to finding funding for all our students regardless of citizenship,” she said, “because diversity is so important to us on so many levels as part of the education process.”

(Source: ClearAdmit)
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 11:04
2nd essay is a nightmare lol I must have some experiences but I am having a tough time mining one. I am just sitting here going through every part of my career and life. I hope this question isn't the reason I drop Chicago from my choices.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 13:01
Haven't gotten to the Chicago essays yet - decided to start w/ Kellogg. Am not looking forward to question 2 though!

cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 17:57
I just had my first "aha" moment of the application process thus far. These always seem to come when you're not in front of the computer and not drafting essays.

I think I have my topic for Chicago GSB essay #2!

Time to go out and celebrate.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 12:49
Event sign-up is now available on the GSB Website: http://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/admissions/events/northamerica.aspx
Director
Director

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 17:50
Quick question about #1. Since the question is "Why are you pursuing an MBA at this point in your career?", is anyone planning to include short and long-term career goals into their essay? I'm on the fence about this, one of my reviewers who is a rising 1st year says yes, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
VP
VP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 17:58
yea I think you definitely should
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 18:28
jb32 wrote:
Quick question about #1. Since the question is "Why are you pursuing an MBA at this point in your career?", is anyone planning to include short and long-term career goals into their essay? I'm on the fence about this, one of my reviewers who is a rising 1st year says yes, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes I am. My plan is to include an overview of key professional experiences/accomplishments, then explain why i need it to achieve my short/long term goals. I'm going to spend more space talking about how an MBA in particular will be helpful but will have at least 1 parag on what the goals are....
hope this helps!
ac.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 12:05
terp06 wrote:

So how's essay 2 coming for everyone? I just decided on 2b and the story I'll be using. So far, my draft is essentially describing the situation, the decision at hand, the decision process, how I won people over and then how an MBA would have made it easier.
Is that what you all are thinking as well? The biggest roadblock I have is how to make the darn thing interesting for others - esp the opening :(
cheers,
ac.
Director
Director

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 17:05
I have close to a final draft on 2b, I threw in a little humor and it seems to be working pretty well. My essay pretty much sums up the decision at hand, recounts each stakeholders reaction and reasons they were not for my choice, then it ventures into how I went about explaining and convincing my decision was the best one. Finally, I tie in how an MBA from the GSB could have impacted my story and where the education might have been beneficial. This essay was actually much easier than my goals essay; a lot fewer drafts. :wink:
VP
VP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 07:01
got a topic, but may have to rethink it or figure out a way to flesh it out to a 1000 words.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 11:58
terp26 wrote:
got a topic, but may have to rethink it or figure out a way to flesh it out to a 1000 words.

Roughly how much of the essay are you planning on spending on how an MBA would have helped piece? My draft is shaping up to about 50% story, 50% why MBA and it doesn't seem quite right...

cheers,
ac.
Director
Director

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:33
Roughly 30-40% and it comes at the end as of now. I may mix things up and work the paragraphs differently, but it was much easier to write and cover each aspect of the question this way. Of course it is also not tremendously exciting this way either, which is why I may shift it around a bit and it might turn out to be a better essay.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 09:24
Has anyone thought about how to approach the slide presentation?

I'm not sure if I should just make a list of accomplishments.
Director
Director

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 11:01
mashi wrote:
Has anyone thought about how to approach the slide presentation?

I'm not sure if I should just make a list of accomplishments.

I've finished mine and it's not a list of accomplishments. It needs to be much more creative than that. Think about things that anyone can do in an hour and cross those ideas of your list. I would first think about a creative theme to tie the slides together and then think about how to fill the slides.
Director
Director

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 10:54
So, I was at the MBA World Tour last night and was fortunate enough to hear the Chicago presentation. Looks like this year's class will have an average GMAT score of 717! Yowsers!

Not a huge jump, but impressive nonetheless.
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2008, 10:54