Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 69
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 11:28
I can't wait to see the day when average GMAT @ m7 reaches 790
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 15:05
jb32 wrote:
So, I was at the MBA World Tour last night and was fortunate enough to hear the Chicago presentation. Looks like this year's class will have an average GMAT score of 717! Yowsers!

Not a huge jump, but impressive nonetheless.


Ouch.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 15:05
jb32 wrote:
So, I was at the MBA World Tour last night and was fortunate enough to hear the Chicago presentation. Looks like this year's class will have an average GMAT score of 717! Yowsers!

Not a huge jump, but impressive nonetheless.


Ouch.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 18:18
clubgmat25 wrote:
I can't wait to see the day when average GMAT @ m7 reaches 790


Average GMAT at Stanford will be 796, while everyone else struggles around 785 or so.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 416
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 15:49
So, I've been struggling with essay 2 for the last couple of days, and I came across something on the accepted blog which might seem helpful. I'm sure some people had already thought about this, but I certainly wasn't thinking about essay 2a this way.

http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_bl ... -tips.html
Option 1 starts as the flip-side of a classic ethical dilemma question. The B and C elements of that question are where Chicago adds its own unique twist. Make sure you answer all parts of the questions.

What do you guys think about this? Can 2a be used as an ethical dilemma questions where you talk about both sides of the dilemma and how you came to a decision. What were the repurcussions of the decision etc.?

If so, any current GSB students or applicants care to venture any ideas about how an MBA from Chicago would have helped address the ethical dilemma and the decision making process.

I feel I have a more compelling story for 2a if I go the ethical dilemma route. However, thinking about the last part of the question (How would Chicago help you), I feel there is a lot more you can write for 2b and I am drawing a blank for 2a.

Any help would be appreciated and I will add kudos to you whenever it comes back :-D
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 06:27
Wanted to get opinions on my approach to Chicago's essay #1:

Please provide an example of a time when you had to make a choice between two equally important obligations. How did you decide which obligation deserved your attention?

I'm thinking of using the time when I had to decide between staying in a city where all my friend/family were and where I had grown up + keeping my job VS. accepting a contracting opportunity (move at my own expense) in a different state.

I guess it comes down to being comfortable and satisfied vs. a real opportunity for professional and personal growth. It was a decision I struggled with for a long time. Does this sound like a reasonable essay considering the topic?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 416
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 07:20
I would think that's something you can make a good story out of. However, how would an MBA from Chicago help you with that decision?

I think the hard part of this question is writing a compelling story which can answer all 3 parts of the question; the hardest part being Why GSB?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 07:25
yellowjacket wrote:
I would think that's something you can make a good story out of. However, how would an MBA from Chicago help you with that decision?

I think the hard part of this question is writing a compelling story which can answer all 3 parts of the question; the hardest part being Why GSB?


I think it would have helped with the cost/benefit analysis of taking a contracting job vs. keeping a secure full-time job and also the fact that Chicago likes to emphasize decision-making by taking the "emotions" out of the equation (they certainly played a part in my struggle). There are actually quite a few more things I think the MBA education would have helped with in making my decision.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 416
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 07:35
sonibubu wrote:
yellowjacket wrote:
I would think that's something you can make a good story out of. However, how would an MBA from Chicago help you with that decision?

I think the hard part of this question is writing a compelling story which can answer all 3 parts of the question; the hardest part being Why GSB?


I think it would have helped with the cost/benefit analysis of taking a contracting job vs. keeping a secure full-time job and also the fact that Chicago likes to emphasize decision-making by taking the "emotions" out of the equation (they certainly played a part in my struggle). There are actually quite a few more things I think the MBA education would have helped with in making my decision.


Well, in that case, I think it would be appropriate for the question.

One question though, why do you feel Chicago emphasizes taking the "emotion" out of the equation. I never seemed to get that impression from any b-school especially from Chicago. The info session in NY that I had gone to last year seemed to emphasize that they concentrate on the physochological aspect of the decision making process. My memory is slightly rusty, but I can look at my notes when I get home this evening and let you know. I would definitely advise you to check further on that aspect though.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 07:50
yellowjacket wrote:
Well, in that case, I think it would be appropriate for the question.

One question though, why do you feel Chicago emphasizes taking the "emotion" out of the equation. I never seemed to get that impression from any b-school especially from Chicago. The info session in NY that I had gone to last year seemed to emphasize that they concentrate on the physochological aspect of the decision making process. My memory is slightly rusty, but I can look at my notes when I get home this evening and let you know. I would definitely advise you to check further on that aspect though.


I was under the impression that the GSB emphasizes objective decison making. Doesn't that rely on analysis and eliminate emotion from the decision making process?

Maybe rhyme can chime in here.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 797
Location: Texas
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 08:27
Actually last week I was at a Chicago presentation and they stressed showing empathy in your decision making ability, and then relaying it in your essays. I would say showing the emotional side of the decision is very important, especially in regards to this part of the question:Did you try and predict other people's reactions to your decision?.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 416
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 08:59
I would think you need to be careful about not showing yourself as too robotic. The questions itself seem to ask for an emotional side, so I would stay away from talking about taking the "emotions" out of your decision. Also, thinking of it from the perspective of being a future leader, I don't think a business school would want to educate someone who only makes decisions based on numbers/analysis. There is always going to be a human element about any decision any leader would make and I would think they would want to see you balance analysis against emotion. Your story would do this well, but I don't think that should be a lesson you would learn from going to GSB.

Any suggestions on my essay topic guys?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 22:38
deleted post
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 04:04
Good points. I'll say that a Chicago GSB education would have made the decision less emotional and more analytical.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 07:16
Hey folks,
Has anyone seeing the recommendation questions for the chicago apps? I looked online but couldn't find them...
thanks,
ac.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 797
Location: Texas
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 07:45
ac8706 wrote:
Hey folks,
Has anyone seeing the recommendation questions for the chicago apps? I looked online but couldn't find them...
thanks,
ac.

They are actually inside the application, downloads section I believe. I also attached it to this email.
Attachments

A09lorsample.pdf [102.44 KiB]
Downloaded 104 times

To download please login or register as a user

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 10:53
jb32 wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
Hey folks,
Has anyone seeing the recommendation questions for the chicago apps? I looked online but couldn't find them...
thanks,
ac.

They are actually inside the application, downloads section I believe. I also attached it to this email.


Thanks very much! for some reason, I didn't see it....but thanks :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1617 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2008, 16:31
Anyone going to be on campus for GSB Live on Sept 26?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2008
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 07:31
will be on campus for the gsb live on the 26th... any tips??

aslo, i'm a reapplicant. applied last year for the round2...
on further analysis, i noticed, that last year i had not visited the campus, or gotten in touch with anyone at the campus... couple of my other friends were going through the same process, and i stayed updated through them.. Point being - i did not put my name out there...

also, i dont have extra-curricular after under-grad. during under-grad, i was very active - president of an org, senate member, SAC member... is there anyway i can address this??? my time since then has been busy with working (since i'm a contractor)...

does gsb view job jumping as negative??? due to being a contractor, i've worked for 5 companies in the last 5 years!!!

great academics - 3.9 gpa, 720 gmat...

can anyone give some suggestions..
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 07:42
rhyme wrote:
Anyone going to be on campus for GSB Live on Sept 26?



I'm there! booked my ticket and found a place to stay and everything. Except I'll be staying in the city of north chicago. That's gonna be some train ride.

Out of all the recruiting events, this one sounds by far the most interesting.

Anyways can confirm that even is held "Harper Center" and that is in Downtown?
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2008, 07:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
428 Experts publish their posts in the topic Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 Narenn 1419 21 Apr 2013, 03:20
534 Experts publish their posts in the topic Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants ak2012 1669 21 Mar 2012, 06:50
520 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants GoBruin 2695 18 May 2009, 07:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  95    Next  [ 1889 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.