Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling UChicago Booth School Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
"status = complete"...so it means a ding in waiting for tomorrow. Submitted on 10/15.

Reapplicant from R2 (with Interview) last year. Wonder whether this application was not worth even an interview 2nd time around :(

All the best guys !!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling UChicago Booth School Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Denied. :(

Just that's the end of the GSB dream for me. I just wish I could understand how I could be WL last year and not even interviewed this year. This blows!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Gil wrote:
Truly brilliant! Made me laugh out loud!
Can you tell us more asbout what the Golden Gargoyles event is?

Each cohort is supposed to develop a 6min movie about anything related to the school. Also every year a company sponsors the event and each cohort creates an advertisement for this company - this year was AMEX.

At the end The Golden Gargoyles is like the Oscar party, and there are categories in which all movies concur Well actually they create new categories every year so that all 8 cohorts receive a Golden Gargoyle :lol: it's really funny, people are uploading it, just keep searching on Youtube.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 18:54
This post received
KUDOS
GOOD luck with interviews, be sure to say Booth, hehehe.

One more GG:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=pkKCV_N0thM

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
mullacc - I posted this about alum interviews after my conversation with an alum who does interviews:

Quote:
Here is an update after my conversation with the alumna. An interview may not help, but can definitely hurt. No real surprises in terms of what the school is looking for during the interview: intellectual capacity, community (and passion towards what you do outside of work), and finally career track record of success and realistic expectations what the MBA can do for one's career.

She mentioned there are three main reasons why she hasn't recommended someone in the past: No outside interests, not enough experience, or no clear reason of why they need an MBA

And one more thing she said I thought was helpful. She said that alumni interviews are sometimes so conversational, you may not even get asked the standard questions of why mba, why U chicago. However, you will be judged on that. So it is important to work those into the conversation.
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 76280

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
agold wrote:
Good luck on your interviews everyone! Be sure to post recaps.

Hi everyone! I had a great visit today. My interviewer was so nice, and asked the standard questions-
-Why Booth
-Why an MBA
-Tell me about your extracurricular activities
-How do you find time for your extracurriculars as a consultant
-Do you think it's easier being a team member or leader
-Tell me about a failure

All in all, it was very quick, but I felt like it was a nice conversation. The admissions reps at the front desk were extremeley helpful and nice. I asked about my transcript, and they said they might have not linked it with my application because my transcript was under my maiden name so hopefully that cleared it up.

I met Rhyme! Rhyme met me beforehand and gave me some last minute tips - thank you again Rhyme!

I sat in on marketing strategy - the class was really interactive and the students were very friendly. The building is very open and modern. A lot of facilities for group work and for studying.

And last but not least, it snowed here today! Just a little but it was a nice treat to get some flurries. Chicago was great and I am so excited by the school. Good luck to everyone and remember - try to enjoy yourself and don't be nervous for your interview! I had a great time!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 19:01
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview on campus today with an alum. It was a great conversation - the 45 minutes flew by.

The only "questions" he really asked me were 1) Why an MBA? 2) Why now? & 3) Why Booth?

Other than that we just talked about my "story" and how I've arrived at this point in my life. He was very enthusiastic about the school & an overall nice guy.

Best of luck to those of you who still have to interview.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2008, 18:40
This post received
KUDOS
I just came back from my interview - no real surprises, although there was a couple of questions I was unprepared for. The questions I was asked were:

1. If things went perfectly, and you got your MBA, where do you see yourself 4-5 years from now.
2. Why MBA, Why Booth?
3. When have you taken a calculated risk in life? (this was one I was unprepared for, but I thought it went ok although I used a semi-professional/almost personal experience rather than a professional/team )
4. What classes did you like most/dislike in your academic experience (another one I was unprepared for. What is the intent of this question?)
5. An experience where you went against popular opinion
6. which other schools have you applied to? (I reiterated here that Booth was my top choice)

It turned out to be fairly short - so I believe the interview would neither help not hinder my admission. Of course, I will start second guessing myself tomorrow and believe I did horribly :)

Last edited by mbagal1 on 25 Nov 2008, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
added a question I had forgotten abt
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 16:35
This post received
KUDOS
mbagal2011 wrote:
I just came back from my interview - no real surprises, although there was a couple of questions I was unprepared for. The questions I was asked were:

4. What classes did you like most/dislike in your academic experience (another one I was unprepared for. What is the intent of this question?)

:)

My guess is its more to see fit in the sense of what kind of classroom experience you would enjoy in grad school. Probably not a good idea to say you hate a math or econometrics class because you didnt enjoy all the numbers in it. The why is probably as important as the class you like/dislike itself.

For Chicago - you could have scored some fit points possibly if you had picked a class say marketing that you thought would be pretty fluffy but then you loved it because of the analytical methods the prof used in teaching it.. or some such example. probably a cliche as far as examples go but you get the idea..
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1531 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
fugo wrote:
Probably not a good idea to say you hate a math or econometrics class because you didnt enjoy all the numbers in it. The why is probably as important as the class you like/dislike itself.

Oh the cliche!

Quote:
For Chicago - you could have scored some fit points possibly if you had picked a class say marketing that you thought would be pretty fluffy but then you loved it because of the analytical methods the prof used in teaching it

Cliche ^ 2 !!

Honestly, there are a ton of classes at the GSB that have absolutely no math whatsoever. The whole quant thing is 98% myth....

I think the point of the question is just to see what you enjoy - are you intellectually curious?-- do you enjoy pushing yourself? -- what kinds of courses will you like at hte GSB? Have you given it any thought? - etc. Its not about whether you like math.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2008, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
OK guys, and this was the winner of the 2008 Golden Gargoyle:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_OXFEC5j4

There are many gmatclubbers in this video (I'm not in, I'm in the Gargoyle Cohort).

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
My apologies to those of you that visited today... it was kind of a hectic day for me and I didn't really do much of a job as host (at least compared to my usual). Particular apologies to the individual who called me at 1:30 or so.... (no names for privacy I suppose) .... I was in the middle of an important call sorry I didnt reconnect - it lasted a while and then I had to run back to a meeting. I owe you one.... agold, sorry for the distracted attitude today, again, my mind has kind of been elsewhere.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
agold wrote:
If anyone is going to be on the chat tomorrow - would you mind asking about the R1 apps and which day(s) they plan to make admit calls?

Here is what Andrea said during the chat:

We're still in the process of finalizing decisions and will likely begin making calls to admits on the 17th. Keep in mind, though, that we are not always able to reach everyone in advance, so trust that you will have your final answer on the 18th.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Here's the chat transcript for those who are interested.
Attachments

File comment: Chicago GSB 12/11 Admissions Chat
1211 Chat.pdf [109.4 KiB]
Downloaded 107 times

To download please login or register as a user

http://bent.tw

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 16:40
This post received
KUDOS
terp26 wrote:
me neither.....they really need to filter out all the nonsense questions. Whats gmat will get me in etc etc

What I can not believe is that people ask these types of questions. I haven't been involved in any of these events yet so I do not know what goes on, but I even know better than that. :?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 21:26
This post received
KUDOS
Just popping in to wish everyone the best of luck with the decisions, I'm off to Whistler for a little skiing and some fun and probably wont be around for the "big day", but wanted to wish everyone good luck!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2008, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
rhyme wrote:
Just popping in to wish everyone the best of luck with the decisions, I'm off to Whistler for a little skiing and some fun and probably wont be around for the "big day", but wanted to wish everyone good luck!!!!

Thanks, rhyme. Enjoy the trip.

These shall be an anxiety-laden couple of days. Best of luck everybody.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
fugo wrote:
well its about 2 CST - they start making the calls today right? so we can start crossing our prayers and saying our hail mary's and hare krishna's..

No. Tomorrow.

By the way, everything will be posted by 9AM CT on Thursday. I just called admissions and they confirmed. It's not 5PM, it's all done at 9AM.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 16:37
This post received
KUDOS
fugo wrote:
hey - just a random question - I was checking my status on the GSB website and noticed that recommendation verified is a NO. Is that true for others? Just wondering since everything else has been verified.

Mine still says "yes" under recommendations verified.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
I really hope I am at that bottom of the calling pile...or this will not be a fun night:)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2008, 11:10