Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 15:34
I thought #2 would be far easier than it actually was. I ended up choosing the option about going against popular opinion and chose a non-work example...and spent forever writing it. As a result, while I'm done w/ the essays for Chicago, I'm behind on the other essays. Oye!
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 16:12
It's just Chicago being Chicago and following their motto "Challenge Everything." They want to see how you challenge convention or what you do when your beliefs are challenged. Show how you analyzed the situation and made your decision. They're looking for analytical people.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 13:53
I just received an email from Admissions today to notify me that my application is now complete and under review. Let the games begin!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 13:58
I have all of my ideas and outlines together and just need to execute this weekend. Really last minute for me but hopefully it should work out.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 14:10
I'm submitting tomorrow after I get paid, so I can afford the $200 application fee.

You think I'm joking....but I'm not. :|
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 17:24
jb32 wrote:
I'm submitting tomorrow after I get paid, so I can afford the $200 application fee.

:(
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 17:34
jb32 wrote:

Don't worry, I'm on a one-year same as cash plan for my application fee.

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 09:23
I went to an admissions event this week. Overall, nothing new. Talked to Joanna (associate director, admissions) about essay 2 and she said what most of us know - that fit with Chicago is really important and they are looking for applicants who can actually turn this essay to their advantage and articulate how Chicago GSB is the right school for them. I went to a small town event with about 15 prospective students, so got a chance to have longer conversations than other events with 200+ people.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 78545

CAT Tests
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 16:33
jb32 wrote:
I would argue the PowerPoint is one of the absolute best ideas for an essay of any of the top schools. You are essentially given a blank slate to convey any ideas you want to share that the other essay questions don't hit on. It gives an applicant the chance to fill in any holes in their application. Also, as you said in your post, a PowerPoint presentation is for Sales & Marketing, which is exactly what you are trying to do now. You are creating a brand for yourself and trying to sell it to the adcoms. Seems to me it is really the perfect essay format.

I agree, this question made Chicago seem even more enticing to me. They are not afraid to stray from the standard format, and want you to take the effort to express yourself through a different medium. Besides, everyone is complicated. But who wants to read a 20 page white paper on someone's life. Four slides is more than enough if you know how to be creative and make an impact with a limited amount of space.

CAT Tests
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 16:36
fresinha12 wrote:
JB thanks for the tip..

well see the problem with putting pictures is i dont know if adcom is just going to print them in black and white or are they actually going to use projector..though I am not planning on using animation at all...

as for in a 4 minute interview answering questions IS VERY different from making a slide presentation about yourself...

so the question is should i risk putting pictures not knowing if the adcom will be using color printers or not? or are they going to user projectors???

I wouldn't worry about those details. Focus on your message.

CAT Tests
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 16:40
hsampath wrote:
I went to an admissions event this week. Overall, nothing new. Talked to Joanna (associate director, admissions) about essay 2 and she said what most of us know - that fit with Chicago is really important and they are looking for applicants who can actually turn this essay to their advantage and articulate how Chicago GSB is the right school for them. I went to a small town event with about 15 prospective students, so got a chance to have longer conversations than other events with 200+ people.

Oh my goodness, lucky you! I wish I didn't live in a metro area with tons of people at these events. I will say though, it's interesting to see the different types of people that show up different schools' events.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 17:42
So I submitted my app, as my paycheck was sufficient for me to afford the application fee. :lol:

That's two down and one more to go in R1. I should be submitting Texas here in the next two weeks.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 17:51
jlola21 wrote:
Oh my goodness, lucky you! I wish I didn't live in a metro area with tons of people at these events. I will say though, it's interesting to see the different types of people that show up different schools' events.

heh..actually I don't live there. I was traveling to a client site, and it turned out they were coming there. I got lucky - I had never been to an info session before this although I have visited the school once.

CAT Tests
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 17:59
hsampath wrote:
jlola21 wrote:

heh..actually I don't live there. I was traveling to a client site, and it turned out they were coming there. I got lucky - I had never been to an info session before this although I have visited the school once.

LOL well good for you for taking advantage. I went to their event last week actually, and I was looking around the room with the guy with me and we both agreed - there were a lot more suits at Chicago than any other schools. Since I was in a suit I was glad :)
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 17:25
Both recs are in, Essay #2 is complete and I'm proud of it, however Essay #1 is a mess and my PowerPoint isn't started. Does anyone care to egg me on for my Wednesday 4:55 PM submission time?

I feel like a college kid studying for final exams. I hope I don't have to pull an all-nighter here.

Also, I've realized that I'm not a good liar. I'm going to be straight forward and stick to my investment banking goals.

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 18:02
Hey terp - I'm in a similarish situation - essay 1 nearly done, 2 is fully done, optional is done. The PPT though is started and is really awful. So starting that one again. Oye. Long night(s) ahead.

terp06 wrote:
Both recs are in, Essay #2 is complete and I'm proud of it, however Essay #1 is a mess and my PowerPoint isn't started. Does anyone care to egg me on for my Wednesday 4:55 PM submission time?

I feel like a college kid studying for final exams. I hope I don't have to pull an all-nighter here.

Also, I've realized that I'm not a good liar. I'm going to be straight forward and stick to my investment banking goals.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 18:04
Mine are definitely not going to be the most refined essays. This is the first app that I'm submitting. Hopefully the "straight from the gut" approach takes me places.

My PPT is going to be awful and cliche, most likely.

This is a really difficult first application to start with :( Hopefully others feel the same way and there is less competition in R1?

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 18:22
terp06 wrote:
Mine are definitely not going to be the most refined essays. This is the first app that I'm submitting. Hopefully the "straight from the gut" approach takes me places.

My PPT is going to be awful and cliche, most likely.

This is a really difficult first application to start with :( Hopefully others feel the same way and there is less competition in R1?

Wharton was my first app so that helped get me the groove going....still, what happens with this ppt is anyone's guess!
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 18:39
I take that the word limits aren't set in stone? My essay 2 is approx. 1050.

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 19:11
terp06 wrote:
I take that the word limits aren't set in stone? My essay 2 is approx. 1050.

I don't believe they're set in stone...I think most people aim to get pretty close. I think as long as you're within 75-100 words of a 1000 word essay it should be okay...
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2008, 19:11