Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
I just got in! Not scholarship but I don't care I would pay the two years cash right now if I could!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
I was the only guest..! :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 18

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 16:06
This post received
KUDOS
krispy wrote:
I am in!

Just got the email saying that they would call me at a specific time due to the time difference!

Congrats!!! Very happy for you.

Regarding the notification process, anyone share my perspective that making calls throughout the day before D-day is a cruel way of informing applicants of the decision? This isn't bitterness talking - it's just a sincere opinion that they should reconsider their process. Having to wait all day while others get calls is tortuous. I would imagine this is true even for those who get calls, particularly when they come late in the day. My guess is that they prefer to call before decisions are released simply because they think it adds a nice personal touch, which it certainly does. But it also adds an enormous amount of unnecessary stress to all but the luckiest few applicants who get calls very early in the morning and don't have to wait. My sense is that most people would feel just as welcomed if they received their acceptances online on D-day. And it sure would make life easier for those who are denied. I'd still suggest that they make calls to admits (it's a nice touch), but I think they should do so after decisions are released.

Not bitter, not angry. Just a suggestion. I think it'd make things a lot more pleasant for everyone involved, both admits and dings.

Any thoughts on this?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 22:51
This post received
KUDOS
mkmba09 wrote:
Anyone know where I can find some sample ppts for Booth? This is the second year with this sick powerpoint question, but I cant find any examples.

Mine only got me waitlisted, but I would like to give you some tips:

1. Show personality. Don't just send them picture of yourself. Make the person reading think to himself "I would like ot meet this guy in person" or "He will be a great classmate". You can do that through humor, a mission statement or just being original.

2. Be original. Don't send them something they've seen a thousand times. This is EXACTLY the point of the PPT in my opinion. To see if you can take a task, with limited guidelines, think outside the box and prepare something extraordinary and original. Yes, they expect you to wow them - a difficult task, but remember you are applying to one of the best schools in the world under the claim that you are one of the most talented candidates in the world.

3. Prepare it soon and show it to a lot of people before you send it out. Preferablly people who barely know you. Things that seemed funny/awesome/extraordinary to me, seemed childish/bland/boring to people I showed my presentation to. It took weeks to fine tune.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gil on 19 Dec 2008, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 23:26
This post received
KUDOS
Try to make it speak about you and you only, while illustrating facets of yourself that haven't been described or hinted at elsewhere in your application. Many try to be overly creative - I think that generally fails. Many try to reiterate why Booth, or whatever - I don't think that is necessary, as it's been covered pretty thoroughly elsewhere. In the end, you have to ask yourself, what is it that B Schools actively seek in applicants. In my opinion, they are strongly seeking diversity, so I really targeted things that make me unique, and what differentiates me from my peer group (scientists).

Here's my flow - as an FYI, I was accepted and got a cushy fellowship.

Slide 1: Cover - Welcome to James XXX - with the canned phrase "where award winning art, business, science, leadership and heart racing adventure converge". This was paired with pictures of each - kayaking, world travels, my award winning art porfolio, and some science pics.

Slide 2: Talk about my award portfolio - and illustrate with pictures. talk about my business awards at Haas (Haas logo + logo of awards), State level award winning art porfolio (with pictures of the art), and science awards - NSF Fellowship, NIH Fellowship at Harvard and UC Berkeley, etc.

Slide 3 - talk about an entrepreneurial club I started with 24 members with pictures of the facilities I arranged in downtown SF, describe the wine society I founded -with pictures from wine tastings, and describe the inline skating club I've been part of for the past 4 years.

Slide 4 - Simply describe my passion for adventure and the unknown and how branching out to Booth pairs with scuba diving, mountain climbing, kayaking, snowboarding, and exploring the national parks.

It the end, it wasn't remotely creative, but it showed off pretty much every part of me that was not described in detail elsewhere in the app - it made me seem interesting, diverse, and notably different than my peer group. Hey, at least that's what I think it did. Whether or not admissions agreed - who cares, it got the job done.

Best of Luck!

Last edited by fluidian on 19 Dec 2008, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
traffix wrote:
How did u guys tackle the "how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB might have aided in your decision making process" of the essay?
I have few ideas, but would wanna know from the R1 folks as to what they did!

In the simplest form, I used the following formula to draft the essay.

You (a) + Booth (b) = Something Totally Transformational (w. outcome only possible by entering Booth)

(a) – You are not a commodity (even though there might be another applicant from similar background). You need to make yourself standout while making connections to the current Booth culture. Think of yourself a new IPO. Discuss your potential, past experience, and strengths. Since a second year student also read your application, you need to write your essay in a way a second year can relate to (when 2nd yr was in your shoes 2 years ago before applying to Booth).
(b) – Booth is all about diversity, whether its gender, race, career background etc. This is most important. Don’t try to compare yourself to a fellow applicant with investment bank or consulting background. Instead, compare yourself to future “you”. If you need to figure out what benefits Booth can bring – just imagine yourself 10 years in the future and ask yourself, “I remember 10 years ago, I was this kind of person (both as individual and professional). I am glad I went to Booth because thanks to Booth MBA, I was able to attain….”

Show your engagement with community and your surroundings. Express your commitment to make impact on others and how you can improve yourself and others at the same time. (Win-win situation)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
Chicago just change their degree requirements for the Class of 2011: Check it out:

http://gsbmisc.chicagogsb.edu/curriculu ... ements.pdf

They also added an Analytical Management Concentration
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
rhyme wrote:
falibay wrote:
Does anyone know if the exchange programs are dual degrees? I am interested in the LBS exchange and was wondering if it is a dual degree and how competitive it is to get into.

Kwam, Rythm - do you know how the process works for the international exchanges?

Thanks!

I believe it is not a dual degree. As far as I know: You apply to the program, I think there's an essay or two you need to write, you list your top 2 or 3 choices for the exchange and then you find out what you got a few weeks later.

It's not a dual degree, it's a quarter at another school. You can get the IMBA - International MBA degree - or "just" have a quarter at the schools listed at the webpage: http://www.chicagogsb.edu/fulltime/acad ... index.aspx

Some schools are more competitive than others, I'm not sure about LBS though as I was thinking about South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore, but I'm changing my mind to make the whole course in Chicago as I would pay the same $5k per class and some people told me that education is not at the same level in some places - I wouldn't be worried with LBS though.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
pguard wrote:
I know it's been discussed here before but I don't recall the consensus. Is it better to interview on campus? I already visited the campus once but I'll do it again if it increases my chances.

Official policy is that is has no bearing. I tend to agree with that. Especially if you already visited and can write about that in your essays.

I haven't visited yet, and I got an admit.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview with an alumnus (off campus) today.
He was very upbeat about his Chicago experience and was casual in his approach. He focused on goals, why MBA and why Chicago. We spent a good chunk of time on why MBA. The duration was about 30-35 min. He mentioned interview was 40% and application was 60% in terms of weightage. I think I left a good impression, hope I get the admit :-) Fingers crossed!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell Johnson School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
praz wrote:
I had my interview with an alumnus (off campus) today.
He was very upbeat about his Chicago experience and was casual in his approach. He focused on goals, why MBA and why Chicago. We spent a good chunk of time on why MBA. The duration was about 30-35 min. He mentioned interview was 40% and application was 60% in terms of weightage. I think I left a good impression, hope I get the admit :-) Fingers crossed!

sounds like you did great! good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
I just finished my interview and feel very good. Not sure if it is because my last interview is done or because I did well in the interview. I believe it is the latter.

This was an alum interview at a local starbucks. I was there ~10 minutes before and the alum was a few steps ahead of me in the line waiting to order his breakfast and coffee. I recognized him since I saw his picture on facebook. I ordered mine, waited for him to add sugar etc and introduced myself.

I had reserved a corner table by the window and he went there. I took my coffee and started the conversation about an event invite I sent him last week. He couldnt attend but he said his friends attended. He asked about my company and the macro economic conditions affecting my company since he read about it. I gave a short analysis on the cash position based on a finance course I credited last year. He liked it.

He asked my resume since he didnt have one but reviewed it before. I gave him a copy and the interview began.

The usual stuff... He asked me to go through my career progression, motivation for an MBA etc. I talked about my career progress to date for 4-5 minutes. He asked me few questions in between related to what I had said. I learnt a foreign language and he asked me how long I learnt it for etc. I also launched international teams in Asia and he asked me what role the teams played etc. It was good since it wasnt a monologue.

I then went to why MBA and discussed about it in detail but made it brief and to the point. He then asked me about my goals and I started by giving a background that led to my goals and then followed it with my goals. He asked me why I needed a full time program as opposed to a part time or exec MBA. I have significant work exp and I outlined the reasons. I was a little nervous but towards then end he said that my reasons for the full time versus PT or Exec MBA were good and reasonable.

The next question was why Chicago and I explained it and in between he asked me a few questions. He nodded for some of the courses, faculty I mentioned as part of the answer. I also weaved in some of my past exp and future requirement and how I could get it at chicago. He asked me if I visited the school and the course that I attended and I mentioned these.

He said he was done with my interview. I added what clubs I would like to be a part of and explained 1 or 2 more points that I wanted to convey. I later asked him a few questions about his exp at Chicago and he explained it at length including the clubs, academics, co-curricular, networking etc. He really took time to explain what he got from his MBA in terms of networking. I asked him a few other questions and he took time to answer them in detail.

Looking back at this interview, I feel very positive especially when I compare it with Chicago and Wharton interviews last year and again with Wharton this year - and in all the three, I couldnt get in. I feel positive about Chicago this time and I hope I cross the next barrier and get selected this year.

All the best for others who are yet to interview.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [1] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
Ladies and Jellyspoons,

I present you with the ultimate final quarter of grad school schedule:

Monday: Get up late, go to class from 1.30-4.30pm. Go home.
Tuesday: Go to class from 8.30-11.30, head downtown, maybe do a little shopping, grab lunch with some friends, have a beer near campus around 4pm and go to class from 6pm-9pm. Go out to Tuesday Night Drinking Club.
Wednesday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV.
Thursday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV. Go out to Thursday Night Drinking Club.
Friday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV.
Saturday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV.
Sunday: Do nothing and/or play GTAIV.

Thats right baby, classes only TWO days next quarter :)

When you hear me go off on how awesome it is to go to a school that has this kind of flexibility, I'm not just making it up.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 06:10
I am still debating....I really love GSB's program but I am in the "must attend 2009" field... I need to do everything in my power to make smart choices in programs to max my chances of getting accepted. GSB seems to be borderline when it comes to target/reach for me.

"George is getting upset!"

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 06:54
I'm definitely applying this year R1. I just visited on Friday and had a great time with my host Rhyme of GMATclub :) . I was impressed last time I went in Nov, even more impressed now. I emailed the president of the consulting club at 5 am on Friday morning asking him to meet me for lunch...and he actually did it!
Great building, awesome students, an experience second to none. The GSB probably just became my #1 choice. BTW, it may be a commuter school, but I really don't want to stay on campus til midnight...so I guess I'm looking for a commuter school :lol:

Thanks again to rhyme for hosting me on such short notice.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 12:40
I am in for Round 1. I plan on a information visit while i'm in Chicago this summer and then I plan on going back in the Fall before Round 1 apps are due.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 13:57
jb32 wrote:
I am in for Round 1. I plan on a information visit while i'm in Chicago this summer and then I plan on going back in the Fall before Round 1 apps are due.

I volunteered to host one of these informal student get together thingamabobs this summer, we are currently picking dates, when will you be in Chicago? I can steer things towards that date (we get a little budget to buy you guys a beer)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 14:27
R1 seems to be a sureshot for me as of this minute.
Current Student
Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 14:31
I will definitely be in for R1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 14:47
sonibubu wrote:
BTW, it may be a commuter school, but I really don't want to stay on campus til midnight...so I guess I'm looking for a commuter school :lol:

No matter where you go, you are going to make tons of friends and you will also spend more time at campus than you probably will want to think about at this point, there will probably be more than a few midnights at campus. :twisted:

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2008, 14:47