Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm.. might not be convincing..but a good reason.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
did you stick with the word limits for the essays or have a 10-15% deviation?

I managed to be on the dot with the word limits but I am thinking if it is an added benefit to add in a few words more to convey better ideas?

The whole "recommended XXX word limit" makes no sense when the ad-com officer told me it is just a guideline and not supposed to be taken literally.

Also did your essay 1. and 2. come very close to each other? Mine sound very similar and I am quite concerned about them although in essence they are very different!!

I went over the "recommended limit" ... but within the 10% deviation. I figured it would be ok because it's a "recommended word limit" and not an absolute word limit.... and after all, Columbia gives you 600000 characters to play with in every written part of the application.

anyway, for the record, I got my recommenders to submit the recommendation online. I chased them hard for it though. Called a recommender for 2 days before he finally picked up my calls and admitted that he hadn't completed the recommendations. And called him for another 3 days (3x a day) before he picked up and said

"YES! I've submitted them today! Hahaha. "

At least he wasn't in a bad mood over my trying to get him.... but he's usually a very last minute kind of guy..
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
does columbia review your application even if the recommendation letters are not submitted?
Or do the applications get reviewed only when every document is turned in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
does columbia review your application even if the recommendation letters are not submitted?
Or do the applications get reviewed only when every document is turned in.

No, they only review it when the completed application has been submitted...recs and all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Resume for Columbia ? [#permalink]
Guys, a dumb question for all who are done with this.
Does this resume have to be a single page as well ..? They say that the fellowship commitee will review the resume, I'm assuming this committee reviews the whole application as well, just like the adcom. If so, a 1 page resume is good.
If not, do you still go with a single page resume ?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
its always a good idea to keep a one page resume.. especially if its some committee who will read it.
short and sweet.. there is no substitute.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Attended the info session in SF. Nothing terribly new. The only thing that I gained from the session was that I got to meet grad_mba for a very short while. Hey dude, thanks for saying "Hi".

One guy (Who was trying too hard to impress) asked, "What is Columbia doing about being a backup for other ivy league schools for a lot of students?" :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
Attended the info session in SF. Nothing terribly new. The only thing that I gained from the session was that I got to meet grad_mba for a very short while. Hey dude, thanks for saying "Hi".

One guy (Who was trying too hard to impress) asked, "What is Columbia doing about being a backup for other ivy league schools for a lot of students?" :?

What was the answer/reaction???
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
mNeo wrote:

What was the answer/reaction???

rejecting those applicants (including that guy)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, the answer was just what you would expect:

* Every school is a backup for a few applicants
* If Columbia is your backup, it'll show in your essays and interview
* If you want a school as backup, pick a school that has a higher selectivity rate than Columbia
* Apply to schools that "fit" you well. Don't just go on ranks and ivy league reputation
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
What all to include in the optional essay?

1) TOEFL waiver
2) Breaks in education or employment
3) Choice of Recommendors
4) Grading format of the undergraduate institution
5) ????

What else do you guys think should be included in the optional essay?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'd advise focusing on one or two things that may be seen as deficiencies. The TOEFEL waiver can be stated in one sentence and then you can go on to address issues that may raise eyebrows. As for choice of recos I'd include it only if you didn't get one from work or if you are using a past job instead of your current one. I think this has been stated before but I think that schools like Columbia are familiar with the grading system at Indian unis.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
its always a good idea to keep a one page resume.. especially if its some committee who will read it.
short and sweet.. there is no substitute.

Thx bud.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Attened the LA session, very interesting - Columbia tries not to state that its a finance based school. In all of its slides, including those with professional clubs, no mention of investment banking...

talked a lot on entrepreneurship, real estate and media..

as usual lots of numb nuts who posed some stupid questions including one dude who tried to flirt with the admissions officer.. that was a sight worth seeing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
another resume question .. [#permalink]
should the columbia resume be professional ..? Or does it have to include community/personal accomplishment stuff the resume as well ..?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anyone filled the app fully...Whats the stuff about "Job Duties" and "Reason for leaving"....how long have you people filled it?

What what does "Beginning with the undergraduate institution from which you graduated, please complete the following information for all your academic experiences, including study abroad, summer school, and post-baccalaureate classes. " mean??? Indians out there, are you filling in Standard 12th or not???
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
saurabh..B School does not ask you for 12th standard stuff.. so dont fill all those up...undergrad means you start writing about accomplishments from your undergrad life..(after you entered college)

gmat_march - The resume has to be professional and should not include community developments/personal development stuff..that comes under the activities tab which you fill out...

for stuff like travel and job search.. columbia is asking you to explain those durations that were significant, like taking 5 months out of a year to travel after school and before a job.. or during a job.. or in between jobs
The travel is not your general 1 month or 2 week vacation travel.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42