Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
djhouse, did you interview with them?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
No, I did not. Did you? If so, what did you think of the interview?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Does applying to ED mean I cannot "reject" the admission offer? I know it sounds kinda stupid that some one would reject a Columbia offer, but lets say I have my reasons for asking.....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Columbia says that if you apply ED you agree to accept their offer if admitted. If you have any doubt then you should apply during RD.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
ED is only for those who are willing to accept their "honor" system. If you are not sure if you will join Columbia (If they accept you), then you should wait till the RD starts.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I remember a previous conversation on this forum. Technically, you can choose not to "Honor" the commitment by declining the offer. But there is a possible down side.

Eventhough Columbia hasn't black balled anyone so far for refusing to adhere to the ED guidelines, it may be done in the future. Add to this, you stand to lose $6000. I personally would be very uncomfortable doing it. Why not wait until RD starts?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
I am applying for the January start program. Do I still count ?

I guess you are aware that this year J-term ,will be 2 batches instead of 3...

So i am yet to decide about the J-term!

Originally posted by Ozmba on 25 Jul 2007, 17:34.
Last edited by Ozmba on 25 Jul 2007, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes I heard that it will be a lot more competitive this year. To be honest I prefer a smaller class size.

Ozmba2006 wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
I am applying for the January start program. Do I still count ?

I guess you are aware that this year J-term ,will be 2 batches instead of 3...

So i am yet to decided about the J-term!
Current Student
Send PM
Essay Topic Analysis [#permalink]
Columbia essay topic analysis from clear admit

Essay 1: What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals? (Recommended 750 word limit)

Because Columbia is very sensitive to the fact that it is often treated as a backup for Wharton and other leading programs, it’s especially important to convince the adcom of your interest in the program by packing your essay full of school-specific details about classes and clubs.

Essay 2: In a recent speech delivered to the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, Dean Glenn Hubbard discussed the new, essential elements of the 21st century MBA. How will your MBA prepare you for a rapidly changing business environment? (Recommended 500 word limit)

In a way, this question is similar to last year’s Harvard question about the sorts of ethical dilemmas that the applicant would face in the future; both invite reflection on future considerations and challenges. Though not explicitly stated in Columbia’s question, it would make sense to personalize your response by touching upon some of the points raised in Dean Hubbard’s speech and commenting on how an MBA education would come to bear in one’s future career as set forth in the first essay. While you’ll want to show that you’ve read the dean’s comments (Columbia provides that URL for a reason), don’t be afraid to introduce some ideas of your own as well. This essay could also be a great place to name some courses or curricular features that apply to one’s goals and/or anticipated changes in the global business landscape.

Essay 3: The entrepreneurial mindset is an integral component of the Columbia Business School MBA. Please discuss a time in your own life when you have identified and captured an opportunity (Recommended 500 word limit).

The adcom is obviously looking for a success story here, but this is a bit more nuanced - in responding to this question, it’s important that applicants highlight their initiative and resourcefulness in identifying and capitalizing on an opportunity that others missed. You might also need to explain the process of getting those others behind your plan (a great way to highlight your interpersonal skills). Remember that specific anecdotes will make a stronger impression on the reader than generalizations, and that an account of the steps you took to implement your idea is just as interesting as the results. While it’s a great idea to write about a positive impact you made in the workplace, you need not limit yourself to a discussion of your professional accomplishments. Think broadly about your activities and experiences to date in order to arrive at an example of a time when your entrepreneurial spirit really came through.

Essay 4: Please tell us about what you feel most passionate in life (Recommended 250 word limit).

This question is nothing new for Columbia, though in the past applicants have had the option to answer a question about how they would spend a free day instead. Both questions provide the chance for the candidate to share information about his or her interests and priorities, but this one is notably narrower, requesting a discussion of the applicant’s greatest passion. It’s possible that a dual focus could be introduced, but this could prove difficult given the 250 word limit.

While it’s important to write about something that you are truly passionate about, it’s also important to approach this essay from a strategic standpoint and write about something that is relevant to your business school candidacy. While your hobbies and interests are certainly of interest to the adcom, it’s important to avoid getting too personal. For instance, writing about one’s family can make an applicant sound immature (as though he or she hasn’t fully left the nest), and it’s difficult to predict how a reader will react to comments on potentially sensitive topics like politics or religion.

The best topics for this essay are activities and interests that you can connect to some contribution you would make to the school community, ideally those in which you are currently active and to which you have a long-standing commitment. Although it is good to keep in mind that more unusual activities are advantageous, you don’t need to have something that is really rare for this essay to succeed. It is more important to discuss what you do in a compelling and personal manner that conveys the depth of your enthusiasm for your topic by exploring your individual experiences. Finally, remember that specific anecdotes will make a greater impression on your reader than a broad discussion.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
For those applying for J-Term, note that the essay #2 has been changed for ED.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
I remember a previous conversation on this forum. Technically, you can choose not to "Honor" the commitment by declining the offer. But there is a possible down side.

Eventhough Columbia hasn't black balled anyone so far for refusing to adhere to the ED guidelines, it may be done in the future. Add to this, you stand to lose $6000. I personally would be very uncomfortable doing it. Why not wait until RD starts?

Hi Prasad, what exactly do you mean by black balled? what might be the consequences ? just wondering ..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
djhouse81 wrote:

Yeah, I did. I think my interview went really well. In fact, the interviewer strongly encouraged me to get in touch with AdCom, and express my strong interest in Columbia.

The interview was in NYC with a 05 grad. It was fairly relaxed and up-beat. The guy works for a hedge fund and was extremely smart.

However, I did not get any feedback session, which really bummed me off. CL is my top choice and a feedback session would have been great. But oh well, am ready to roll the dice one more time.

Originally posted by DJM on 25 Jul 2007, 23:27.
Last edited by DJM on 26 Jul 2007, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Submitting an application for ED and not honoring the admission, demonstrates questionable ethics and possible lack of integrity.

What if CBS decides to share information about such applicants with other schools. The applicant can get blacklisted. I dont think CBS does this today, but by not honoring a contract applicants are in danger of being denied admission at other schools.

Anyways, my take is that if some one does not really want to attend CBS, they are better off applying during RD than ED.

grad_mba wrote:
ncprasad wrote:

Hi Prasad, what exactly do you mean by black balled? what might be the consequences ? just wondering ..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Submitting an application for ED and not honoring the admission, demonstrates questionable ethics and possible lack of integrity.

What if CBS decides to share information about such applicants with other schools. The applicant can get blacklisted. I dont think CBS does this today, but by not honoring a contract applicants are in danger of being denied admission at other schools.

Anyways, my take is that if some one does not really want to attend CBS, they are better off applying during RD than ED.

grad_mba wrote:
ncprasad wrote:

Not to mention screwing over people who would honor the ED acceptance.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
DJM wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:

Yeah, I did. I think my interview went really well. In fact, the interviewer strongly encouraged me to get in touch with AdCom, and express my strong interest in Columbia.

The interview was in NYC with a 05 grad. It was fairly relaxed and up-beat. The guy works for a hedge fund and was extremely smart.

However, I did not get any feedback session, which really bummed me off. CL is my top choice and a feedback session would have been great. But oh well, am ready to roll the dice one more time.

I wouldn't sweat not getting feedback; the fact that you got an interivew says a lot about your application--considering the applicant pool. By the way, did you visit the school before the interview? Did you ever end up getting in contact with someone from the school? From what I hear-- and this is coming from a current Columbia student who got in with a 690, 3.0 GPA, and solid work experience--they particularly like to see you put forth a genuine effort in getting to know the school. That does not mean that is the magic admission potion, but with a competitive school like Columbia it could make all the difference.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In the Employment History part of the application, there's a non-required field for "Salary PIN". What is this? Google tells me nothing and my HR group has never heard of such a thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sending in your transcripts or using the self-reporting Excel file? My understanding that it's an 'either or' option. However, in theory it would be much better to send in the actual transcript to avoid any complications?

Has anybody decided how to define entrepreneurship for Essay 3?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42