Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Columbia applicants for 2008

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:30
grad, you are lucky that you had this problem with Columbia, where you still are some time away from the deadline. Imagine if you were going through this trouble on 9th Oct for H and W!! A slow recommender can turn your R1 app to an R2 app (Or worse still, an R2 app to an R3 app).

So I think this is a good check for you. See if you can improve your means of communication with the recommender, or if you can change the recommender. A month and a half is a long time for anybody .. however busy (s)he is.
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:40
ncprasad wrote:
grad, check politely if he has second thoughts. ALso, see if you can line up another recommender.

The problem with hunting for a new recommender at this stage is that the new person will take atleast ~2-3 weeks to process his draft :(
Wont be fair on my part to expect it any earlier as I'l run a huge risk of compromising on the quality !
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:42
mNeo wrote:
grad, you are lucky that you had this problem with Columbia, where you still are some time away from the deadline. Imagine if you were going through this trouble on 9th Oct for H and W!! A slow recommender can turn your R1 app to an R2 app (Or worse still, an R2 app to an R3 app).

So I think this is a good check for you. See if you can improve your means of communication with the recommender, or if you can change the recommender. A month and a half is a long time for anybody .. however busy (s)he is.

totally agree with u on this !
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:46
grad,
How about explaining to him the sitation in a frank way and telling him how important it is for you.

I have had the same situation. Sending out one email a day did nothing. I just made lunch plans with my recommender and laid it straight out.

It worked for me coz it made the recommender feel ashamed. This may sound whack but do some Gandhigiri (aka Munna bhai style)

Instead of calling up and sending emails, take ur recommender to lunch/dinner, talk and explain politely to the point where it appears that the reco letter is ur last breath
That should get the message across. Make the person feel a little embarassed about taking 1.5 months to compose a letter.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 10:48
mneo and NC

Thanks for thr support. Ctrl +F5 are now my two favorite keys.

I do not have much hope with my application, but after reading some of the posts, I am clinging onto the fluke factor.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 12:12
Aparently my status was updated with the words - INCOMPLETE. I was first confused...then read that my recommendation letters have not arrived yet.

Aparently only FedEx and DHL goes straight to admissions office. Lowly USPS priority mail (I used that) makes its rounds through Columbia's regular mail system so admissions office wont receive my letters immediately.

Will have to wait a few days more before I find out whether my recommendation letters have made it to the dark side
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 12:32
Guys! thanks a lot for your support and suggestions.

An update - persuaded him to turn in the reco by today, for now keeping my fingers crossed !

Aum Amen Inshallah
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 14:14
I should be dreaming. Yes!
My recommender turned in his reco 10 minutes back and now I have officially sumbitted my CBS app !!! darn I feel so relieved, hardly 24 hrs ago I was in tatters! well guess thats ALL in the game :)

Once again, thanks all you guys ! so let the wait begin ...
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 14:26
Congrats grad_mba!! Another member of our "Ctrl+F5" group.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 14:41
Guy, I just put in my 2 weeks notice. No, I did not get an acceptance from Columbia... I have not heard from them yet... As some of you may know, I am an auditor with a Big Four accounting firm. I just could not take my job anymore. Oh well, I guess I will just relax and see what happens with the application process... I just wanted to tell someone about this and I thought this would be a good place to let my situation out... sigh~~
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 14:51
No worries. We are all in the same boat....atleast me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 16:23
I really *want* to give my notice, but alas, got a mortgage to take care of. I'll decide when I find out if I get into schools or not!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 16:35
kryzak wrote:
I really *want* to give my notice, but alas, got a mortgage to take care of. I'll decide when I find out if I get into schools or not!

I have the same feelings at times but alas my sense of responsibility far out weighs any desire to quit.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 17:01
well, if I had very important things that I'm doing or leading, then I probably wouldn't want to quit as much. The problem is I'm being underused by the people I work for... and it's a pretty tough and nasty political situation too. So every day I go to work it's a struggle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 18:29
wondee wrote:
Guy, I just put in my 2 weeks notice. No, I did not get an acceptance from Columbia... I have not heard from them yet... As some of you may know, I am an auditor with a Big Four accounting firm. I just could not take my job anymore. Oh well, I guess I will just relax and see what happens with the application process... I just wanted to tell someone about this and I thought this would be a good place to let my situation out... sigh~~

All the best! Maybe you can start day trading the Hang Seng index....
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 21:29
Hmm .. and I would love to be "underused" during these tough application months. Unlike some of you guys, I don't even have a choice of quitting my job .. however much I'd like to do that to focus on my applications and then on my entrepreneurial dreams.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 21:39
don't get me wrong. During these months, it's great to be "underused", though I actually have a big thing coming up I'm working hard for. But it was the "underuse" for most of the past year before I started apps that really ticked me off... While I like the work better in my current job, my previous job gave me much more responsibility, teamwork, and leadership opportunities...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 06:32
adc_away wrote:
wondee wrote:

All the best! Maybe you can start day trading the Hang Seng index....

HAHA.... What to do with my free time... I have not thought of that yet... I just talked to my manager and he was very cool about it... He wishes that he could quit!!

Maybe, I will be a semi-pro poker player...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 07:31
What are you going to do if the school tries to verify your employment. They may not look favorably at you quitting your job unless you are going to work somewhere else.

I sure hope you are applying for January...
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 18:45
Status changed - 'under review' :)

Now I wonder why they havn contacted me yet.LOL
  [#permalink] 18 Sep 2007, 18:45