Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Columbia applicants for 2008

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 17:51
mNeo wrote:
In a recent speech delivered to the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, Dean Glenn Hubbard discussed the new, essential elements of the 21st century MBA. How will your MBA prepare you for a rapidly changing business environment (Recommended 500 word limit)?


oh. that question.. i focused on the underlined part.... :P it's a tricky one.. i'm still struggling.. it's like that hot chick at the bar that's playing hard to get...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 140
Location: New Delhi
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 00:03
adc_away wrote:
mNeo wrote:
In a recent speech delivered to the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, Dean Glenn Hubbard discussed the new, essential elements of the 21st century MBA. How will your MBA prepare you for a rapidly changing business environment (Recommended 500 word limit)?


oh. that question.. i focused on the underlined part.... :P it's a tricky one.. i'm still struggling.. it's like that hot chick at the bar that's playing hard to get...


I believe that the non-underlined part is about as important as the underlined part... you need to read that speech I think... I have gone trhough it like about 6 times and made notes and still I am guessing what to write
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 00:07
saurabh357 wrote:
adc_away wrote:
mNeo wrote:
In a recent speech delivered to the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, Dean Glenn Hubbard discussed the new, essential elements of the 21st century MBA. How will your MBA prepare you for a rapidly changing business environment (Recommended 500 word limit)?


oh. that question.. i focused on the underlined part.... :P it's a tricky one.. i'm still struggling.. it's like that hot chick at the bar that's playing hard to get...


I believe that the non-underlined part is about as important as the underlined part... you need to read that speech I think... I have gone trhough it like about 6 times and made notes and still I am guessing what to write


I've read the speech about 7 times, made a rough sketch of how it relates to me and where I want to go. However, I think that if you get caught up in the speech, you will lose focus on what the actual question is. The speech is for reference and how it applies to you, the question is the main part that they want answered. Touch on the speech, but don't center on the speech. But that's my opinion though.

Anyway, on another note. Is quoting from the speech directly too crass?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 140
Location: New Delhi
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 03:34
adc_away wrote:

I've read the speech about 7 times, made a rough sketch of how it relates to me and where I want to go. However, I think that if you get caught up in the speech, you will lose focus on what the actual question is. The speech is for reference and how it applies to you, the question is the main part that they want answered. Touch on the speech, but don't center on the speech. But that's my opinion though.

Anyway, on another note. Is quoting from the speech directly too crass?


I couldn't agree with you more. At first, I started writing about whatever was in the speech. It actually took an effort on my part to realise that the speech was a means to the end and not the end itself. But I have grown pretty crazy. I mean, I practically made a document out of the Columbia website about why Columbia is the greatest school in the world and even now I have no idea what to do about rapdily changing business environments.

And about the quoting part, see this:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=50078
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 03:48
Thanks man.

Well, maybe you could breakdown what a rapidly changing business world would mean to you - what are the key factors in a r.c.b.w?

1. Adaptability
2. Globalization (cross borders)
3. Opportunity
etc.

then see how having an MBA would allow you to have a factor, or influence a factor.

That's what I did.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 03:49
p.s. you made a document of the website?!

.....

that's way further than I've gone....

:(
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 19:00
Admissions Chat Alert!!!


Columbia Business School Alumni and the Office of Admissions
cordially invite you to a Live Chat Event on Business Week Forums.

Linda B. Meehan, Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid and 2007 CBS graduate Lauren Franks will be answering questions about everything from how to write a great application essay to the first-year workload at CBS.

Monday, August 13, 2007 at 1:00 p.m. EDT


Head to http://www.businessweek.com/bschools for access to the chat about 10 minutes before show time. There, you’ll find a promo for the chat that will feature a link to the chat room. Click on it. You’ll need to register with BW before participating; it’s free and won’t take more than a few minutes.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 12:01
adc_away wrote:
Anyway, on another note. Is quoting from the speech directly too crass?


Don't quote. Ever. Specially if you want to quote from something originated by the school (speech, website, brochure, etc.).

My suggestion for the application question:
Try to grasp the concepts from the speech and somewhat relate them to what you think, but be careful not to sound "brainwashed at 1st sight". It's ok to partially disagree with the speech (which I haven't read) or at least agree with aspects of it and ignore the rest.

L.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 12:20
lepium wrote:
adc_away wrote:
Anyway, on another note. Is quoting from the speech directly too crass?


Don't quote. Ever. Specially if you want to quote from something originated by the school (speech, website, brochure, etc.).

My suggestion for the application question:
Try to grasp the concepts from the speech and somewhat relate them to what you think, but be careful not to sound "brainwashed at 1st sight". It's ok to partially disagree with the speech (which I haven't read) or at least agree with aspects of it and ignore the rest.

L.


I completely agree with u Lepium. We shouldnot quote from the speech.
I have tried to take a gist of small part of the speech and tried to tie it with my goals. I m still working on it. Have written only 250 words yet.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 12:52
Is anyones app ready for ED?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 16:50
I am trying to finish the app in the next 10-15 days, but I can't visit Columbia till the last week of Sept. In fact I am planning to dedicate the last week of Sept to my trips to east-coast schools. So, I will wait till the end of Sept to submit my Columbia application.

Last edited by mNeo on 11 Aug 2007, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 1062
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 18:25
MNeo or Abishek or anyone else applying in ED- if either of you get admitted in ED, are you ready to join Columbia and giving up the other apps? :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 192
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 18:51
abhishek.sardana wrote:
Is anyones app ready for ED?


I am applying ED and I think I about a week away from completing my app. So, I think I will turn it in end of next week.

The BIG problem is that my recommender has not started working on his letter yet. I know once he gets to it he will get it done in 2 - 3 days. However, I am not sure when he will get to it.

Who else is doing ED?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 19:12
I will make my final decision about going ED or RD after I visit some east-coast schools next month. So far, based on what I've found about Columbia, I would happily go there (If I get an admit). Do not underestimate the power of NYC, my friend :-D
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 19:48
Since review for the ED starts from Aug 15, does it make sense to submit the applications asap or hold on for a while. I am going over my essays and making edits to them.

I will be submitting way before October 10, but is there any advantage in sumbitting on September 15 versus September 30.

Does Columbia review applications immediately, or pile them up and start reviewing after the deadline?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 21:38
aviroop wrote:
Since review for the ED starts from Aug 15, does it make sense to submit the applications asap or hold on for a while. I am going over my essays and making edits to them.

I will be submitting way before October 10, but is there any advantage in sumbitting on September 15 versus September 30.

Does Columbia review applications immediately, or pile them up and start reviewing after the deadline?


It is Rolling admission, so they will review it immediately. No piling up in this case.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 181
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 21:39
mNeo wrote:
I am trying to finish the app in the next 10-15 days, but I can't visit Columbia till the last week of Sept. In fact I am planning to dedicate the last week of Sept to my trips to east-coast schools. So, I will wait till the end of Sept to submit my Columbia application.


The school visits will start in October. And I dont think they expect the ED candidates to visit the schools.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 07:44
Well they have on campus info sessions all August and September. And they have class-visit programs starting from mid-September. So it is possible to visit the school even for ED.

Moreover, someone suggested me (And I agree with him now) that one should visit the school on a day when there's no admission event going on. That way you get more attention (Less competition), and get more non-prepared stories about the school from students.

As far as "Columbia expecting students to visit for ED" goes, well we will never know what is it that they truly expect :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 16:42
dosa_don wrote:
MNeo or Abishek or anyone else applying in ED- if either of you get admitted in ED, are you ready to join Columbia and giving up the other apps? :)


Yes.

:)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 140
Location: New Delhi
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 01:55
Who out there has completed the Glenn Hubbard Essay? I have a first draft and am absolutely not sure what I am doing...anyone wanting to exchange ideas??? I guess we can talk via PM
  [#permalink] 13 Aug 2007, 01:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Calling Darden 2008 Applicants nervousgmat 291 15 Aug 2007, 11:26
6 Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants yogeshsheth 563 17 Jul 2007, 19:40
68 Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants ncp 2680 16 Jul 2007, 22:03
6 Calling UCLA Fall 2008 Applicants kryzak 703 14 Jul 2007, 11:45
4 Calling Stanford Fall 2008 Applicants kryzak 784 14 Jul 2007, 11:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Columbia applicants for 2008

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42    Next  [ 836 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.