Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
What kind of ideas do people have for this essay (For those of us who haven't had any entrepreneurial experience)?:

The entrepreneurial mindset is an integral component of the Columbia Business School MBA. Please discuss a time in your own life when you have identified and captured an opportunity (Recommended 500 word limit).

I am wondering if I should focus on opportunities that highlight my entrepreneurial spirits (Albeit weakly) or opportunities that I captured much better (At work - although those may not have much to do with entrepreneurship). I am obviously leaning towards later.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
umm interesting question !

I guess this question can be paraphrased to - any interesting instances when you had taken the initiative to do something about a situation and the outcome of the same (shud b successful)

Also, do u have the other Columbia essay questions ? looks like we need to start on the app to see them ! or am i missing something ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am applying for the January start program. Do I still count ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
What kind of ideas do people have for this essay (For those of us who haven't had any entrepreneurial experience)?:

The entrepreneurial mindset is an integral component of the Columbia Business School MBA. Please discuss a time in your own life when you have identified and captured an opportunity (Recommended 500 word limit).

I am wondering if I should focus on opportunities that highlight my entrepreneurial spirits (Albeit weakly) or opportunities that I captured much better (At work - although those may not have much to do with entrepreneurship). I am obviously leaning towards later.

What's your definition of entrepreneur? Depends on how you define it will be important. Innovating a new process and implementing it to improve something can be considered entrepreneuric? Especially if you were trailblazing a new path? I think that the there is more to being an entrepreneur than jsut the common view....

Anyway, I'm in at the ED.. wish it was still $5000..... another $1000 is a bit taxing. Maybe they're doing this to gauge the commitment of ED applicants.... probably improve yield?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:

Well, you are welcome (Only because you love bsd so much. I was using netbsd on an IBM Z50 last year .. but moved to a traditional laptop with Ubuntu eventually).

Aren't you from down under? Then are you planning to go back there after the MBA? I ask because it appears to me that internships are very valuable to internationals hoping to start working in the US after the MBA.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
You are spot on (both about bsd and down under).

I feel that internships are a guaranteed way of MBA school to ensure that they place their students into a job, it seems to help MBA schools in terms of getting their statistics up.

I personally don't place too much value in it, I think those 3 months are better spent speeding up the degree.

mNeo wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

Well, you are welcome (Only because you love bsd so much. I was using netbsd on an IBM Z50 last year .. but moved to a traditional laptop with Ubuntu eventually).

Aren't you from down under? Then are you planning to go back there after the MBA? I ask because it appears to me that internships are very valuable to internationals hoping to start working in the US after the MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
changed to $6000....money grabbers!

I am in for ED, however I am a re-applicant. So, I just have to work on one essay and a new recommendation.

Review starts on Aus 15th, when are most people planning to turn in their app? Ideally, I would like to turn it in before 15th.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah I would love to turn it in before Aug 15th too, but I don't see that happening (Looking at the snail's pace of my app work). Since you are a re-applicant, do you have any pointers for us? For example, why do you think you didn't get the admit last year (If you don't mind telling)?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sure, I dont mide sharing with fellow Gmatters!

I think there where a couple of factors:

- My UGrad gpa is right above 3.0. While this is not the best, I do have a decent GMAT score: 730. However, last year's application volume is really high volumes and maybe my GMAT just didnt cut it.

- I am an Indian male doing IT consulting with one of the big 4s. This is a over represented group. In addition, I applied towards the end of January. At that late in the game, it extra competitive for the over-represented groups.

I did interview and it went fairly well. Hence, I think I did come fairly close. But maybe not close enough to get in or on the waitlist.

So if I had to give a couple of tips, I would say the following:

- Make sure that CL knows that its your first choice. You have probably read that CL is extremely yield conscious.
- Apply as soon as you are redy
- Visit the campus and try and get some face time with Ad Com.

As I said before, good luck to us all.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am also a re-applicant and I got feedback from CBS adcom. What they told me was my experiences had not fully matured. I was 2 years out of college when I applied last year, and my promotion and leadership positions in the community came along too close to when I applied. Therefore, there was not enough time to impact my life. I am hoping that with another year under my belt I can assuage that issue.

As for my GMAT and GPA, I have a 690 and 3.3 from a top undergrad b-school. CBS told me that a higher GMAT score would help my case, but if that was not possible a 690 would certainly not raise a flag about my abilities to handle the work.

I know that I am preaching to the choir on this one, but give yourself enough time to do the essays. Columbia has some pretty unique essay questions, and to answer them, as well as "Why Columbia", not to metion weave your theme throughout every essay, is a task. I gave myself one month to do all of CBS' essays last year, and I felt rushed--I think most people would agree that one month is not nearly enough.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
djhouse, did you interview with them?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No, I did not. Did you? If so, what did you think of the interview?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Does applying to ED mean I cannot "reject" the admission offer? I know it sounds kinda stupid that some one would reject a Columbia offer, but lets say I have my reasons for asking.....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Columbia says that if you apply ED you agree to accept their offer if admitted. If you have any doubt then you should apply during RD.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
ED is only for those who are willing to accept their "honor" system. If you are not sure if you will join Columbia (If they accept you), then you should wait till the RD starts.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I remember a previous conversation on this forum. Technically, you can choose not to "Honor" the commitment by declining the offer. But there is a possible down side.

Eventhough Columbia hasn't black balled anyone so far for refusing to adhere to the ED guidelines, it may be done in the future. Add to this, you stand to lose $6000. I personally would be very uncomfortable doing it. Why not wait until RD starts?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:

I guess you are aware that this year J-term ,will be 2 batches instead of 3...

So i am yet to decide about the J-term!

Originally posted by Ozmba on 25 Jul 2007, 17:34.
Last edited by Ozmba on 25 Jul 2007, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  42