Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 06:09

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with ISB Admissions Team  | |  Join Chat Room to attend this event

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Darden 2008 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Employment Details [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 03:51
pats wrote:
Hi

I have a question regarding the Employment History.

1) I had my final year project, but there was no salary as such. For us getting a project from the industry itself was a big thing at that time

Does anyone know if I can still mention it ?

2) I am working for the same company since the past 4 years just have been in two different locations (India and Switz. )
Do i need to enter this as two different entries ?

1) Not sure if I understand correctly, but was the project part of your job? If so, then your salary and bonus info will cover it. I would mention it in the decription of your job responsibilities. If it is a really big deal, you can even use the 150 word optional essay to briefly describe it. That will certainly highlight its importance.

2) No one entry, just make sure they can tell you worked in different locations in the responsibilities section. It's just like someone who has a few promotions with their current company. You would list your responsibilities as follows:

Senior Financial Analyst: Jan 06 - present
- Manage a team of analysts
- Project customer profitability

Finanacial Analyst: May 05 - Jan 06
- Forescast interest rates used in customer profitability

You can do that, but with your different locations in Switz and India.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 06:09
Submitted R1...this is definitely the worst app interface I've seen. Honestly even the transcript forms had formatting issues. That said, the program is amazing!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 06:55
Just hit the submit button ..!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 07:05
One of my recos still hasn't submitted...starting to get a bit worried.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 07:13
shmegs wrote:
One of my recos still hasn't submitted...starting to get a bit worried.

I'm in the same boat, my ross reco. is stil in the making at my manager's home ..he hasn't showed up yet to the office ..:(
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Quitation marks [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 11:10
Hello everyone..
finally i filled in the complete application form, but when i am trying to print many of the single and double quotes, hyphes, bullets are getting converted to question marks
Did anyone of you face this problem ?
Is there a solution ?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Quitation marks [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 11:12
pats wrote:
Hello everyone..
finally i filled in the complete application form, but when i am trying to print many of the single and double quotes, hyphes, bullets are getting converted to question marks
Did anyone of you face this problem ?
Is there a solution ?

Yea, I had the same problem. If you change the hyphens to colons you should be all set. As for quotes shift it to italics, or just take them out. The app really does have a lot of bugs...g'luck!
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 16:27
djhouse81 wrote:
lanter1 wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:
So, I called up Darden, and they answered the following concerns.

1) Regarding work experience, since college means during college. The adcom said that they want to know about your work experience, and your college work experience counts as that.

2) Transcripts. There are a number of options. You can use the template, fax it in, have an official copy mailed in, or even email it the adcom assigned to you. There are adcoms assigned to us by last name (see below), and mine told me that I can email her the scanned pdf of my transcript. She said there is no preference, except a faxed copy usually is not as clear. I am going to email the pdf, and then where it asks us to upload a copy, I am going to upload a word doc that says it has been emailed to so-and-so.

A-G or Z, contact BeelerJ@darden.virginia.edu
H-N, contact DeaneP@darden.virginia.edu
O-Y, contact ThompsonM@darden.virginia.edu

I listed my work experience in college under the activities under the collegiate activities and employment section. Surely, we should not list college work experience in both sections.

The way I was planning on doing it was putting my internships in the employment section, and keeping only extra-curriculars in the activities section. The way you did it is different, but it will not matter. The main thing is that you put the experiences in the app, plain and simple.

I called today and the lady said to put it in both places. Not sure why but that is what I did....oh yeah, submitted!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 20:48
Good luck to everyone applying this round.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 04:20
Submitted the app on 1st.....it was on that morning that I saw the 150 word essay under the "Family Background" section .
Managed to write something through the day.

I think Darden should move this as well with the other essays in the ESSAYS section.

Now the wait begins !
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 06:15
i got an email saying "recieved"....i guess that means they got everything to begin a review of the application.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 21:14
This is a bit late but I attended Dr. Bruner's talk on financial crises on Friday and the Bangalore reception on Sat. First off, the Dean is smart and very personable. He did a great job of representing the school. The whole experience just confirmed that Darden is an amazing program. Oh and I spoke with an alum 1982 I think who said while Darden has one of the most rig. academics don't fret, he had to prep cases 5 days a week and present on Sat. :-D . The one thing that stood out was Sandy Woodriff (assoc. ad. director) said last year they accepted approx. 25-28% of apps, which was off from the posted rate bw/nw etc. Oh and if you have 4-5 years work ex. you should be golden. I have 2.5 so :shock:
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 00:27
To add to that, what I really like about Dean Bruner's talk was that he sells the MBA itself to you and not just the MBA at Darden. He clearly explained why he thought now is a great time to go for the MBA. And best of all, he doesn't do any of that 'flower talk' - holistic approach, value proposition nonsense. So it's easy on the ears ;-)

P.S: shemgs, you really did look so zoned out during the talk! It was hilarious!
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 01:09
KingKREEP wrote:
holistic approach, value proposition .

may be this is jargon of adcoms :lol:
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 01:42
I was visualizing my success through a MBA :-D ...seriously though I need to do something about that, everytime I listen intently it looks like I'm day dreaming.
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 04:29
shmegs wrote:
everytime I listen intently it looks like I'm day dreaming.

Understatement! You looked like you were completely zonked!
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 05:28
shmegs wrote:
This is a bit late but I attended Dr. Bruner's talk on financial crises on Friday and the Bangalore reception on Sat. First off, the Dean is smart and very personable. He did a great job of representing the school. The whole experience just confirmed that Darden is an amazing program. Oh and I spoke with an alum 1982 I think who said while Darden has one of the most rig. academics don't fret, he had to prep cases 5 days a week and present on Sat. :-D . The one thing that stood out was Sandy Woodriff (assoc. ad. director) said last year they accepted approx. 25-28% of apps, which was off from the posted rate bw/nw etc. Oh and if you have 4-5 years work ex. you should be golden. I have 2.5 so :shock:

Very impressive article in Times of India today
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 13:25
Pelihu,
First of all thanks for all the informative posts you have all over the forum.

I am planning to vsit Darden and the class visit dates available now are:

Nov 19,20,26,27,28,29 and Dec 03.

My questions are:

1) What days of week are best to visit in terms of meeting students?
2) Are there any other events that I can take advantage of on any of the above mentioned dates?
3) Will I have the honour to meet you when I visit? If yes, is there any specific date out of the above that works best for you.
4) What is the best place to stay if I have to reach the campus and I do not have a car?
5) What has been the normal dress code among students who visited classes tll now.

Thanks in advance for your help.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 13:43
1. I think any day Monday-Thursday should be fine so any of the days you have listed should work out. I think you'll find that you'll have plenty of opportunity to interact with students no matter which day you visit. It seems that we tend to have the most visitors on Mondays.

2. I'm actually not sure about events open to applicants. I would suggest asking someone in the admissions office; I'm just not very current on that type of info. I do believe you'll find, as I did last year, that folks in the admissions office will be happy to hear from you. This definitely isn't the case at all schools.

3. I can definitely meet with you if you'd like. Generally, there are chances during first coffee (a 1/2 break between our first and 2nd classes each day). I think most visitors have lunch with 2nd year hosts, and there's generally time to meet before lunch. Something else you could do is ask to sit with Section A when you go for your class visit. If you schedule a visit, I'll tell you my name and I think the admissions office will be happy to accommodate.

4. I know there's a Residence Inn within easy walking distance of Darden. There's also a Best Western that is about 20 minutes by foot. If you stay elsewhere around town, cab service is pretty accessible.

5. Most students have been wearing suits (male, hard to generalize female). I think it would be fine to wear a sport coat, or go business casual. Perhaps a suit without a tie?

Good luck.
anadimisra wrote:
Pelihu,
First of all thanks for all the informative posts you have all over the forum.

I am planning to vsit Darden and the class visit dates available now are:

Nov 19,20,26,27,28,29 and Dec 03.

My questions are:

1) What days of week are best to visit in terms of meeting students?
2) Are there any other events that I can take advantage of on any of the above mentioned dates?
3) Will I have the honour to meet you when I visit? If yes, is there any specific date out of the above that works best for you.
4) What is the best place to stay if I have to reach the campus and I do not have a car?
5) What has been the normal dress code among students who visited classes tll now.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 13:48
That was fast. Thanks. Will PM you once I have scheduled the visit.
  [#permalink] 13 Nov 2007, 13:48