Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
kripalkavi wrote:
1. Use active voice as opposed to passive (e.g. My company promoted me can be written as I was promoted)

actually, saying "My company promoted me" is active voice, and "I was promoted" is passive voice. :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm finally understanding this word/page limit thing ;) my OUTLINE is longer than the Haas word limit already!

I highly suggest you get "Elements of Style" and "65 Successful Harvard Business School Essays" to see how people can express their goals and other essays in 300-500 words. It's quite inspiring to read some of those essays. They sound matter-of-fact and still get everything across. Read it and it should help!

My goal right now is to hack and slash my Haas essays down to within the word limit...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kripalkavi wrote:
1. Use active voice as opposed to passive (e.g. My company promoted me can be written as I was promoted)

Bzzzttt, wrong! :wink:
You meant, "Use passive voice over active voice to save on words". Although this idea may work in saving a few words, active voice is usually simpler and more straight-forward. And I seriously doubt that using passive voice can really save you enough words to justify this "more complex way of forming sentences". So, although I understand that sometimes passive voice makes sense, but my recommendation would be to not use it for the sake of it or to save 2-3 words.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
actually, saying "My company promoted me" is active voice, and "I was promoted" is passive voice. :wink:

Oh well, I guess my GMAT SC skills are rusty :) Thanks for the heads up!

mneo wrote:
Bzzzttt, wrong! Wink
You meant, "Use passive voice over active voice to save on words". Although this idea may work in saving a few words, active voice is usually simpler and more straight-forward. And I seriously doubt that using passive voice can really save you enough words to justify this "more complex way of forming sentences". So, although I understand that sometimes passive voice makes sense, but my recommendation would be to not use it for the sake of it or to save 2-3 words.

Point taken mneo. Thank you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you're looking for advice on how to cut your essays, try to look at some journalism guides. When writing newspaper articles, you regularly cut out 75% of what you put down. It really focuses your message, and forces you to get right to the point.

For the purposes of writing your career essays, try to focus both your language and your message. Talk about only what is important and leave out the smaller details if they don't fit. Then, use tell it in a focused concise manner.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the input guys...we will trudge along.....
Riverripper....I guess it is good to know that we have company..but the sooner we figure the essays out the better....I read in your blog that you told your bosses about your potential move...I am exactly in a similar situation and will be telling my director by the end of this month...
By the way...anyone planning to visit MIT through the Ambassadors program....I am going on Oct 4...
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]