Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
Application went complete this morning, finally. Now waiting for an interview.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
WE 1: Mortgage
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
coakleym wrote:
levfin2003 wrote:
wmcrockett wrote:
Hi all -

Quick question for anyone who's gone through the admissions process at Booth. I'm an "early career applicant" as defined by Booth's website (3 yrs experience), and am considering applying for Round 3.

Is the admissions office just blowing smoke, or are they serious about considering people with significantly less than the average W/E? I fit most of the other critieria, solid GPA, good leadership experience, good quant background, but based on some of the profiles I've seen here I feel like only 3 years experience makes this school a long shot for me. Any advice?

3 years is on the lower side, but what the school looks at is the depth of your experience. Plus, a lot of schools (especially H/S/W) are trending younger. So if you have solid experience you are in a good spot.

However, applying in Round 3 will put you in a big disadvantage.

I agree and I like to think of it this way. If a top school is averaging around 5 years of work experience, for every 3 year candidate it admits, you could say they only need to admit one 7 year candidate or two 6 year candidates to maintain their balance. Judging by the posts here at GMATClub, there are more than a few applicants with that level of experience. That said, I'm sure it's a situation where the depth of experience adcoms like to see tends to show in candidates closer to 5 years of WE than 0 years or 10 years. I'm sure no one in the office is actively monitoring the average WE of the incoming class. It probably just ends up where ends up.

However, here's more info from Booth on early career applications:
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ad ... rkexp.aspx

Thanks for the response! I read the early career applicant page on the Booth website, which is where I got the initial inkling that Booth is favorable towards applicants with up to 3 years w/e. Hopefully its true.

Here goes nothing...........in for Round 3.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
miccarlo wrote:
sglass wrote:
Does anybody else's application still say received?

Mine still says "Received." I submitted on January 6th and my recommendations came in a few days later (Booth says they accept recommendations until January 13th).

Does this warrant a phone call?

Yes, it does. Tomorrow. According to their communication, you should call them if your status does not say complete by Jan 27th.
( check the email that you received when you submitted)

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth R2, Fuqua R2, Kellogg R2, HBS R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
along the lines of the above posts, at the info session I attended, they said the number of WE is really just used for school statistics. they'll see it when looking at your application, but echoing what was said earlier, it's all about your story, your career vision, and the experiences you bring.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 14:35
This post received
KUDOS
Please add me to the roll call for Round 2. I submitted January 3 and received interview invitation January 22.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 19:07
This post received
KUDOS
If my memory serves me right, in 2007(class of 2009), R1 apps were up by 40%( don't know about R2 though). 2007 was still early part of recession. Since the number of apps usually goes up in times of slow-down( I think), I won't be surprised if the number of R2 apps are up.

Still, 44% is extreme. It's like over 1.5 times the usual work-load if the adcom does not hire new staff

Cheers,

Unplugged

PS:- Received my interview invite
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

Just received my invite! Does anyone know whats the best hotel to stay at (that's closest to campus but in a safe area...). Also, which airport is it better to fly into or does it not matter?

Oh and my app went to "complete" on jan 12th.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stanford '12
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 18

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
i was staring at my inbox as i do so many times these days....and reached into the depths of rejection again when i realized that there were no new emails - not even from my friends. so i clicked the refresh button just to torture myself. and yep, sure enough there was nothing. crap.

but as i got up to walk away from my laptop lo and behold: an interview invite from chicago booth! i nearly fell down back into the chair. fkg AWESOME!!!!!
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [1] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
shana22 wrote:
mbasc2010 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Just received my invite! Does anyone know whats the best hotel to stay at (that's closest to campus but in a safe area...). Also, which airport is it better to fly into or does it not matter?

Oh and my app went to "complete" on jan 12th.

Thanks!

I also would like suggestions on hotels if anyone has them. Near campus would be great (it's nice not having to bring your suitcase to campus/the interview) but if there are no good options then downtown is fine too.

I suggest downtown, Hyde Park doesn't have any good hotels imho. Club Quarters is generally reasonably priced.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stanford '12
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 18

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 14:43
This post received
KUDOS
itsmystery wrote:
Unplugged and Mbasc2010, are you guys US or international ?

Posted from my mobile device Image

im not sure if it means anything, but i received an invite and am also an international applicant like "unplugged".
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
I got the invite on Friday. I'm totally busting--I definitely did not expect Booth to be interested.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in the same situation...[/quote]

Ditto :([/quote]

Me too. Same dates and everything, I believe.[/quote]

Same Here. This makes me happy though :-D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 08:55
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted 1/6
Complete 1/23
Interview invite this morning! 2/1
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted 1/6
Complete 1/22
No news yet. Relax guys, it is not the end of the world.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
Please count me in for R2.

Submitted: 1/6
Complete status notification received on: 1/15
Interview invite: Today! 2/1. So thrilled. :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 12:58
This post received
KUDOS
Although I've almost given up on my Chicago Booth dream, I just got elected to the Board of Directors of a non-profit I've volunteered for, and think this is something I want to share with adcom.

As a rd2 applicant, should I send an email to adcom about this status change, or is it really too late.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Wharton Booth
WE 1: 5.5 Engineering

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
Cant understand why you should give up your dream this early!....I havent heard from any of schools I applied to!

Absolutely....Send them an email right away...It certainly cant hurt!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
As per my info*,

Booth sends the interview invites to the applicants who are being considered for scholarships in the last. So if you think your application is strong and you haven't received the invite yet, that means you are being considered for scholarship.

But if your application has significant weeknesses, then may be you can start to worry after this week.

* - Info source cannot be revealed / No liabilities can be claimed later on this post in any wayz.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 13:33
This post received
KUDOS
phboom wrote:
No worries. I applied to 6 schools in R2 and haven't heard from any of them. I checked my blood pressure a couple of weeks ago and it literally indicated I should be having a heart attack. From then, I just leave things in the big guy's hands, now I can breath normally again.

It is not the end of the world. When all of us retire 50 years from now, none of these would seem that important. So relax people!

prakyrules wrote:
Cant understand why you should give up your dream this early!....I havent heard from any of schools I applied to!

Are you planning to work until your mid-late 70s?? Retiring early wasn't the whole purpose of going to Business School? LOL!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
latammc wrote:
phboom wrote:
No worries. I applied to 6 schools in R2 and haven't heard from any of them. I checked my blood pressure a couple of weeks ago and it literally indicated I should be having a heart attack. From then, I just leave things in the big guy's hands, now I can breath normally again.

It is not the end of the world. When all of us retire 50 years from now, none of these would seem that important. So relax people!

prakyrules wrote:

Are you planning to work until your mid-late 70s?? Retiring early wasn't the whole purpose of going to Business School? LOL!!

Maybe I'm applying to bschool for all the wrong reasons....
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2010, 13:55