Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:44

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Booth, Stern, Kellogg
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
TDAVE! CONGRATS!!!

I JUST GOT AN INVITE TOO!!!!!!!!!

We must have been lumped in the same group :) The AWESOMEST group.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
pudgethefish wrote:
TDAVE! CONGRATS!!!

I JUST GOT AN INVITE TOO!!!!!!!!!

We must have been lumped in the same group :) The AWESOMEST group.

I figured that much. Looks like they grouped the London invites together. Everything makes much more sense now. The past two weeks have been extraordinarily tense because I applied to only two schools - Harvard & Booth. Hopefully, it's good news as well on Friday for Harvard.

Congratulations pudgethefish! Now go knock that interview out the park! What percentage of interviewd candidates are accepted? Just curious.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Anderson, Haas, Johnson

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
Got an Interview invite today.

Indian in US / IT / 6+ years WE / 730 GMAT

Application went complete on 1/26
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations!! Your invites keep my hopes alive. Booth is a place that feel so strongly about. It will be tough to digest if it doesn't call me for an interview.

On a positive note, I do have an invite from LBS!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
tdave wrote:
OMG!!!!!!!!!! I just logged-in and my status has changed to "Invite to Interview"!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! I am freaking out with happiness! OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Yes! Yes! Yes!

App complete by: 1/21

ahem, didn't I say hang in there..your invite will come

and here it is :-D

Good luck on the interview!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
all right boyz and girls, got an interview invite this morning 8-)
they surely kept it down to the wire given that only a few days are left

now the big question is - interview on or off campus? I'm in Toronto so its a short flight (and I want to visit the campus) but i'm wondering whether there are any other advantages to interviewing on campus
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Yes, interviews are blind. You give a copy of your resume to the office when you arrive, and your interviewer may decide to briefly browse through it before he/she interviews you (at least I got the impression that my interviewer had seen my resume).
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan Class of 2012

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
FYI I withdrew my application upon acceptance at Sloan. Best luck to all the applicants and interviewees!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
got interview invite yesterday :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

I posted yesterday that I was open to answer some questions on the interview if needed. If you are planning to do so, please PM me, do not choose the Email option since then it is a pain to reply and I will lose track of the questions (my post has been a success, I think I have already replied to 5+ of you).
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
phboom wrote:
By when should we give up hope?

Whenever you receive the deny status change...until then, you can still receive an invite. There is a reason why they have a deadline, they send invites gradually until that day. The adcom at Booth is really professional. I have been involved in 6 application processes and none rivals Booth in professionalism.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
woncosmo wrote:
teasers again. got 2 emails with subject -Join a Live Chat about Finance at Booth

I think it's extremely unfair that you got two emails. I got just one. I believe by sending you two emails the admission committee is clearly showing a bias towards whatever background and geography you hail from.

In the light of this I have clearly decided to show my protest to the school my not checking my email for the last 45 minutes. I may not consider scheduling an interview. This has nothing to do with my not being invited to the interview so far. Or my believing that my application is in the ding pile already for not exhibiting enough diversity or whatever else they were searching for in it.

As a mark of protest to being sent just one mail, I have decided that I will definitely join the chat. So what if finance isn't what I am interested in doing. I will rather block that one slot so that the adcom realizes what they will be missing. What ? They don't know that someone with this name or profile applied ? Oh, I forgot they are buried under tons on profiles like mine and can't distinguish one of us from the other anyway.

Nevermind,I shall still hog their bandwidth and time, in another vain attempt to get noticed and get that email.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Last edited by itsmystery on 11 Feb 2010, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
I have a question for those of us with some insider knowledge of Booth's admissions process. I understand from Rhyme's comments in R1 that the interview is not a "phase gate" for native English speakers (comments from the interviewer just go into your file as another data point). What I don't understand is what happens after the interview at the committee level. Since the file of every candidate invited to interview has been read by 3 or more persons (possibly including Rose herself), what kind of issues come up in comittee that lead to dings? I am assuming that if these issues are indeed deal-breakers, they would have been caught by at least two of the first 3 readers. In short, it's just hard for me to imagine why Booth would bother interviewing a candidate they know will not make it past the admissions committee, especially when the interviews don't "make or break" candidates.

What additional criteria is used to evaluate candidates at the committee stage? Is it fit? Diversity? Industry quotas? Geographic quotas? GMAT-balancing to improve the overall class profile? Recruitability?

I just need some clarity so I can stop worrying that some typo in my application that the first-stage readers missed will be noticed in committee and be cause for a ding. Any insights would be much appreciated. :)
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
deadlee wrote:
Sup folks, I finally got an invite too...surprised myself really... but i'll take it.

I haven't visited the campus, I'd registered for last Booth Live, even went to Chicago, and make it to the school before it ended.. yep, i know epic fail.

Anyways, i'm scheduled to visit this Friday for booth Live!, and I figured I'd combine it with an on-campus interview.

the thing is, the only spot available is two days prior to Live!, which means I wouldn't have visited the school or sat in a class prior to my interview.

does that sort of defeat the purpose of visiting a school? Should I move my IV date to *after* i visit, and settle for an Alum interview?

Thoughts?

Two things.

First, if you are hanging around for Booth Live on 2/19, myself and a bunch of other people (also interviewing) as getting together for drinks on 2/18. Contact me via PM or see this thread:

chicagoland-drinks-meetup-2-18-6pm-fado-irish-pub-90127.html

Second, you shouldnt think of the purpose of visiting as solely for your interview, but rather as for your own benefit...... there isnt that much of a difference between saying "I enjoyed booth live" and "I am looking forward to booth live this friday".
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
gkumar wrote:
Does anyone know how to visit the campus on a weekend (weekend of 20th)? Is there a tour, or some classes that I can sit in?

Unless they have something planned for the 20th (and for the last 2 years they always do booth live on just one day, the friday) - you will find a nearly completely empty building with no more than a handful of students, no classes, no professors, certain floors locked off, etc.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
rhyme wrote:
tdave wrote:
Paging Dr. Rhyme - stat! Booth applicants seriously confused and anxiety-ridden! Your insight needed urgently! Paging Dr. Rhyme - stat!
:)

HEY! I was sleeping!

Damn pager.

Look, here's the dilly:

* You will not be interviewed by someone who has read your application. That is the case for both students and adcom staff.
* If you interview on campus, you will be interviewed by a student. There is a remote possibility it will be an adcom member, occasionally they do backfill slots when demand exceeds supply or when there's a need. Regardless, the school will ensure its not an adcom that has read your app.
* Not all adcoms read every app. It would be impossible.
* The interview is not a phase-gate.
* You are being evaluated on fit -- that means everything from intellectual curiosity, to why mba, why booth, your background, interests, history, plans, goals, etc. Honestly, I think 50% of the interview is just trying to figure out if you are an ass**** or otherwise just not the kind of person you would want representing your brand/school.
* Recall that the interviewer is just a single data point - and a small one at that.
* At committee there is someone who is your proponent - someone who wants you to be admitted - they make a case for your admission to the rest of the adcoms and you are then debated. The debate could be on anything - leadership background, your teamwork skills, your interview, your GMAT, your poor undergraduate grades, your fit, whatever.

Bottom line....

relax.... breathe in... breathe out... just be yourself and enjoy the interview like youd enjoy a coffee chat with a friend (but keep it professional).

Rhyme, you are the man...and you know it...

I will send a petition to school so you can be the next Dean Snyder!! LOL...

BTW: I know it's pretty obvious but wear business attire, even if your alum interviewer decided to own a small margarita pub in Cancun...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
Finally got an interview. Woot!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
Invite received today.......

MIT, Booth, HBS, Stanford

2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475-40.html#p640997

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
I got an interview invite today as well. I had about given up hope seeing as the deadline is next week. Super excited though. Just need to figure out if I want to interview locally or in Chicago.

Edit: Man I just looked at the interview times and the only thing available is on Saturday. So much for sitting in on a class I guess.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
phboom wrote:
badgerboy wrote:
For those that got invites today, CONGRATS! Care to share when your app went complete?
Still (anxiously) waiting for one. Mine went complete on 1/27 and if theres any credibility in the "apps are reviewed in the order they are received/went complete", then there's still hope. Else I need to move on ..

Submitted Jan. 6th, went complete on the 23rd.

Submitted Jan 4
Complete Jan 7
Invite Jan 20
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2010, 10:04