Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
All right folks. I just called the admissions office. Here is the first hand information word to word :

"The decision date is still tomorrow. We started making the calls to some folks to make the load lighter. The decisions will be available by 9AM tomorrow in the system and we will continue to make calls. If you don't hear from us, then doesn't mean its end of story. Don't worry about it."

!!!!
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 100 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
Rose has a new entry on her blog:

For those of you still waiting to hear about an interview invitation, I want to assure you that we are still evaluating applications. In fact, we' ve just crossed 50% as of today. So we'll need every day between now and our mid-decision on February 17 to complete our task. Hang in there!

I am loosing hope every passing day though!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Booth, Stern, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
thisisgettingtome wrote:
pudgethefish wrote:
thisisgettingtome wrote:
Just got an invite for interview. App went complete on the 22nd

Congrats!

I'm still sitting with an inbox full of broken dreams. Le sigh. :)

Pudge: when did your app go complete. there is still a week and a half left, so dont lose hope. One thing though: I think they release invites at 9 am every morning..so I would suggest not to freak yourself out by staring at the inbox

Don't worry, I only freak out at 3pm (I'm in London) every day. :) This pretty much sums up my day:

1:00pm - productivity goes down the drain as I imagine receiving an invite in my email
2:00pm - start the countdown to 3pm as my hope increases
2:55pm - resist the urge to refresh my email
3:00pm - refresh my email
3:00-3:30pm - keep refreshing just in case my mail server is slow
3:30pm - go on gmatclub, vent my frustration, and see if anyone else got an invite, secretly hoping that whoever got an interview invite today went complete with their application before I did (1/21), even though I don't necessarily think there's a correlation
4:00pm - sit dejected, thinking I'll never get an invite from Chicago, which in turn means I'll never get an invite from Harvard, which means I'm an epic failure at life
11:00pm - go to bed, crushed
6:00am the next day - wake up with a renewed sense of hope that I'll get an interview invite today

IT'S LIKE THE MOVIE GROUNDHOG DAY! Only much, much worse.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
OMG!!!!!!!!!! I just logged-in and my status has changed to "Invite to Interview"!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! I am freaking out with happiness! OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Yes! Yes! Yes!

App complete by: 1/21
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [2] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
I too just got an invitation!
Frankly, I'm surprised. I had consistently been half-lifing down to resignation with each day that passed, and yesterday I was well below the one-percent-remaining mark as far as hopefulness. (Yes, I just compared the waiting process to radioactive decay.)

Just goes to show there's still a chance for the rest of you who are waiting! Good luck to all!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
tdave wrote:
Aenigma wrote:
I too just got an invitation!

Oh this is the best news I have had all day! Congratulations! I was silently rooting for you! Given how witty you are, I would have been a bit puzzled if you did not get an invite. Again, congratulations!

*big hug*

Thanks so much, tdave! I feel so grateful to be part of such a supportive community on these forums. Still puzzled about the invite but at this point I'm thinking maybe they thought my PowerPoint was some kind of post-modern ironic send-up of their question. Like that urban legend about the philosophy class where the final exam consists of just one question: "Why?" And the only student to get an A on the exam simply wrote "Why not?"

Chicago: "PowerPoint!"
Aenigma: "gargggglemarphenpictureyellowgrrrrrumphlepicturefacerockgaaaaaa"
Chicago: "Invite!(?)"

This is what happens when you claim to value the intellectually curious. You occasionally end up with the simply: ...curious.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 7

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
1) if you mention any other admission, make sure you show your extra love for the school that you are interviewing for..

2) Invites can show that you are competitive candidate. but from where is important. Give me a school thats no name no where and I will think you have low self confidence unless you can do a decent explanation of why u applied to that school. And then, go back to point 1

MBA42012 wrote:
Received an invite this morning as well; I plan on doing an off-campus interview.

During the interview, do you think it helps or hurts to mention schools that I've already been admitted to in round 1 (since I applied to Booth R2)?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
Just thought I would post for those interviewing, I logged into and it looks like they opened more slots next week during the week so maybe you can catch a class instead of going on Saturday the 27th.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 58 [2] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 19:02
This post received
KUDOS
quantjock wrote:
just read this off a clear admit blast....

While some schools rely on consensus when making the final decision, other schools employ different strategies. Rose Martinelli, Admissions Director at Chicago Booth, explained in her Q&A that, at Chicago, "once the interview is complete and the interview feedback is submitted, the complete file is given to an admissions director who has not previously reviewed the application. She or he makes a decision to admit or deny the candidate."

...not sure i like the sound of that AT ALL.

Your post scared me a bit. So I did a little search. You seem to have missed the last sentence

In short, the process, as mentioned in the Q & A, is

First step - the file is read by a 2nd year student who votes interview or deny
Second step - it is read by an adcom director who again votes interview or deny

If both decisions match then candidate is invited to interview. if not a third person breaks the tie

Third step - After the interview, a completely new adcom director again votes admit or deny

If the outcomes of all the three steps match, the candidate is admitted or the file is debated in the committe and a final recommendation is made

Here is the link if you are interested - http://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/09/qa-w ... artinelli/
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [2] , given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
britguy wrote:
So I saw an article on BW about the effects of recruitment on b-schools last year. I read through it out of morbid curiosity. The data is simply sickening. Apparently 13.5% of Booth graduates failed to find a job more than 3 months after graduation.

So when I go to the admit event at Booth this weekend I can look around and expect that more than one in ten of us will fail to find employment after three months of graduating!

I know that things will improve in the next couple of years but surely lots of lessons will have been learnt by hiring companies by then so I think they will be much more prudent in their hiring patterns. Also, there must be an army of fired workers and unsuccessful 2009 grads out there who will be competing for the same jobs! Do I really want to borrow $100,000 to put myself in this position?!

The only good news is that things were much worse at other schools - Wharton and Cornell in particular were torn to pieces with 1 in 5 and 1 in 4 graduates failing to find jobs resp.

Wow!

Yeah, I'm just hoping I can find a restaurant where the clientele will appreciate that I can incorporate the 4Ps into my response when they ask me about the daily specials.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
prome2 wrote:
Hey all,

Are my eyes deceiving me or did I understand the below chat transcript right?!

anita: how many students you plan to admit in this year?

Rose: Roughly 900.

No, this makes sense. If you read back a couple of pages, you'll see several posters estimating how many students Booth would need to admit in order to have a yield of ~550 students. Most estimates fall between 800 & 900 students. Note that this is how many applicants will be admitted, not how many will matriculate.

Hope you get good news in R3!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 19

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
latammc wrote:
Assuming the class is 590, then it should be consistent with the 65-70% yield for Chicago. Anyways, it sounds excessive considering that Booth only admitted 360 people in R1...assuming that R2 will be the same, I do not see them admitting 200 people in R3...but who knows, anyways...

Possible things to consider:
-R2 is generally larger than R1 at most schools. You could have the same acceptance rate in each round and accept more people in R2.
-People on the waitlist will be admitted in addition to R3'ers
-Rose submitted a blog post encouraging people to apply in R3 noting that it wasn't as bad as it is made out to be
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
contestant1 wrote:
ThomasCrown wrote:
I am only applying to Booth at this point. Do you guys think it is advantageos to mention it in my essay after writing about all the benefits of Booth?

No, I think you should leave this fact out of your application entirely for 2 reasons:

1. The adcom is looking for evidence that you are committed to getting your MBA right now, not next year or the year after that. Admitting that you are only applying to one school, especially in R3, implies that you're "kinda" interested and may not have a clearly defined direction.

2. The adcom is evaluating your application as a strategic initiative; applying to only one school could cause them to call your strategic ability into question, a thought you don't want running through their heads.

I understand that there may be some value in expressing that you feel Booth is such a perfect fit that you're not even applying anywhere else. In my opinion though, the potential costs of making that statement outweigh the benefits.

Agreed. In addition, adcoms are like most guys: they like the chase. Telling adcoms that Booth is the only choice will certainly NOT help an otherwise marginal candidate... but it can backfire big-time.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2010, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
coakleym wrote:
May you slay the Rose Goliath and plunder Booth's riches.

Glad you put the proper nouns in this order and not the other way around...
Good luck to everyone waiting!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 6

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
mba2010please wrote:
is there no BW forum for booth?? want to keep checking that to see when first call is reported...can someone please post the link?

Here it is:

http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=83630
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 71 [2] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in! Got the call about 20 minutes ago.

I'm in California.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA- Accepted, Northwestern- Waitlisted, UChicago- Denied w/ interview, Harvard, most likely Denied

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 17

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
This may help GMATClubbers: I got this response from a Booth student (very nice, thank you!) when I emailed him/her and asked about where to live and if you needed a car when going to Booth (before I knew I was Denied)
It was truly a pleasure meeting and chatting with you as well! I'm glad to see that you're already thinking ahead about your potential move downtown. As you know, I live at the Shoreham and it is a great building. I currently have a convertible and it is extremely spacious for one person at 610 square feet (I think this right). The rent includes water, gas, cable Internet, dish television, and access to the gym. In addition to rent, I pay for electricity which comes as a separate monthly bill. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Metra and recently, they opened a pedway that is accessible about a block from the building and takes you directly to the train. This is helpful when it's raining or snowing or extremely cold outside (I'm sure you're aware). I have very few complaints about my building except for one minor detail. It is situated on the same level as Lower Wacker Drive and because of this, I have to take an elevator up to street level whenever I go out. Again, it's a really small detail but it can be a hassle to hail a cab and it adds time to my walk.

The Shoreham is under the same management as the Tides and the new Aqua building. The Tides is the building right next to the Shoreham and has very similar features except it is newer and has its own elevator with direct access to the street level. The Aqua building was quite popular this year since it just opened and it has really nice amenities including indoor basketball courts, indoor pool, gym classes, outdoor track, bbq/lounge area, and other things. It is the nicest building but it is also the most expensive. It is located on street level and has direct access to the pedway. All three of these buildings have in-unit washer and dryers.

Millennium Park Plaza has consistently been popular amongst Booth students since it is located directly across the street from the Metra stop. The apartments have hardwood floors, but are older and most of the units do not have their own washer and dryer. Additionally, the gym is not as nice. However, the location is very convenient.

Other popular apartment complexes downtown include:
Park Millennium - This is actually a condo building and you would have to rent from an owner. Direct pedway to the Metra.
Columbus Plaza - Older building but spacious apartments. This building is typically the cheapest and also has a direct pedway to the Metra. It is also very easy to get to Gleacher, our downtown facility. Does not have in-unit washer/dryer.
MDA - Very trendy and modern. Almost feels like you're walking into the W Hotel. It has an amazing rooftop party room with pool table and outside seating. Probably the farthest walk from the Metra.
Cityfront - Located on the other side of the river and is more of a hike to get to the Metra, but it is about a block away from Gleacher and is closer to restaurants and going out.

I do not have a car and most people who live in the aforementioned buildings do not have cars. I would guess about 5% of the people that live downtown have cars. It is not necessary to have a car since the buildings are located close to the Metra and the El and it is very easy to share cabs since most people live in these buildings or buildings around them. I think it is around $245/month or $295/month for a reserved parking space at the Shoreham. This rate may have changed since last year. It can be helpful to have a car when you want to go grocery shopping or when you want to go somewhere that isn't the most convenient by public transportation. Occasionally, we'll group up and rent Zip Cars to go grocery shopping.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 18:45
This post received
KUDOS
add me as a member of the class of 2012! sent in my deposit and enrollment forms earlier this week.

and for those who are interviewing soon, i just wanted to chime in here. i interviewed with a local alum and received probably 5% of the standard questions that i was overly prepared for. instead, it even started off in an unorthodox manner, with him giving his intro, story of how he got to chicago gsb, followed by my many questions about his experience. then we delved into my story in a conversational, unstructured way. he had no list of questions, only my resume in front of him. and he really probed me on my goals, not because he was testing me, but because he seemed genuinely interested. my interview lasted over an hour, which i heard is also unusual. anyway, so my advice is to prepare as you would for the anticipated questions, but don't be surprised (as i was!) if none of that stuff even comes up! overall it was a pleasant experience, despite that i was caught off-guard with quite a few of the questions. i plan to keep in touch with my interviewer as well.

good luck to everyone!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in!! Round 1 waitlist. Definitely going to Booth.
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Rhyme, I would love to agree with you, but this isn't an issue of just 3 months. This isn't even an issue of just 6 months. The reality is that this "process" can be as long as 9 months or more depending on when you submitted your application and how long Rose, her team and Chicago Booth choose to abuse the waitlist process.

I agree the process is long - or well, at least can be - and I think there's some merit to the concept that if they haven't said "yes" to you in 6 months, they probably wont say yes to you in 9, and they should put people out of their misery. I don't think its any kind of intentional 'abuse' though. Unpleasant as it is, at least one has a chance (and as seen by the people getting off the waitlist recently, a real fighting chance not just a token one).

Quote:
I get it. Chicago Booth is a difficult place to recruit. It's clearly below H/S, and at best, competitive with W. And no knock to Chicago Booth or its students, but for most applicants Chicago Booth is a hedge against being reject from H/S/W. Add to it it's in the Mid-West and it's obvious Chicago Booth is at a disadvantaged compared to its peers.

I'm of course biased, but I'm not sure I agree its a 'difficult' place to recruit. They get plenty of applications from plenty of qualified candidates. I don't disagree that it tends to come after H/S -- it certainly does -- but that hardly makes the school 'a difficult' place to attract talent. Were talking a top 5 school pretty much any way you want to dice it.

Second, placing people on the waitlist doesn't strike me as a good recruiting strategy anyway. If anything it's a risky one -- the best candidates are the ones most likely to have offers from other programs and even those who are boderline are unlikely to hang around waiting for Booth when they have another yes in hand. The goal wouldn't be to maximize waitlist use, it would be to minimize it. Worse yet, waitlist candidates are historically low yield, precisely because many will have moved on (new job, other admits, etc).

Moreover, last year they had exactly the opposite problem - yield was higher than anticipated and the class ended up being something like 50 people bigger than intended. This creates some obvious challenges -- e.g. ensuring enough class space and courses to accommodate - and some less obvious ones too such as not having enough lockers in the building. Rose certainly didn't plan for that and there's no question this contributed to people being stuck on the waitlist for long periods of time. If you get to know Rose, you'd know she'd never waitlist candidates she didn't seriously consider and she wouldn't keep people on if she didn't think there was a point.

If anything this strikes me as the more reasonable explanation for the waitlist -- given unprecedented yield they have to be more careful with the number of acceptances. It's not 'abuse', its intake management.

Quote:
In light of these expectations and my clear sense of what is reasonable and what is not, Rose continues to undercut Chicago Booth's reputation by abusing the waitlist.

I really doubt their waitlist management strategy has a meaningful impact on the schools 'reputation'. I'm sure being put on a waitlist -- for any amount of time -- makes that school less attractive to that particular candidate (after all who wants to be 2nd choice?), but I can't see how it would impact other people's perceptions or the school's overall reputation.

Finally, if someone chooses not to apply to Booth because they don't like their waitlist policies, I'd find that pretty near-sighted. I've never heard of anyone talking about the school's reputation as a function of their admissions process -- and certainly not in a negative light - if anything, people tend to praise it for being more transparent and open than most.

Quote:
Chicago Booth doesn't command a yield comparable to that of the top 3, yet it continues to set deadlines that coincide with the likes of H/S/W.

Well, doesn't that make sense? If they set their deadline prior to H/S/W, they risk having a number of people capitulate (at least for H/S), if they set it to after H/S/W they are simply taking themselves out of the running for those candidates outright. While I agree that people will choose H/S over C nine times out of ten, Wharton is less clear cut I think. Finally, if you want to be a peer school to the top programs you can't simply "work around" their schedules, giving them "first dibs". You have to compete head on.

Also, and im asking seriously to anyone who knows, is Booth really the only school that does this?
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants   [#permalink] 28 May 2010, 13:14