Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Tepper Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
Received an invite this morning as well; I plan on doing an off-campus interview.

During the interview, do you think it helps or hurts to mention schools that I've already been admitted to in round 1 (since I applied to Booth R2)?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth-Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
I attended a Booth Live event in October and found it very useful to prepare my application. If you are going now, the best thing will be that there is a lot of interaction with 1st and 2nd year students and with other applicants. I would definitely recommend it.

I interviewed with alumn earlier this week. The interview was very conversational, and although he asked the typical questions- why mba, why booth, what if not accepted, leadership- I really think that fit is the most important thing the interviewer is looking for. One recommendation for all of you that will be interviewing soon is to know the school (professors, courses, clubs) and to give very good reasons of why Booth.

It happens that I will be in Chicago the week the final decision comes, I am taking it as a sign :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: NYU Stern '12
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Superhero- shhhhhh

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
Is Booth live for accepted/invited students only? I am going to be in Chicago next week for an interview at Kellogg, and I extended the trip till Friday evening with the hope that I get an interview invite from Booth by then. From what I gather, I doubt ill be able to schedule an interview during the time I am there (if i even get one). Would it be better to take a tour on Weds or Thurs at Booth, spending the whole day, or attend Booth live and leave early (my flight is at 6pm Friday)?

"Any school that meets you and still lets you in is not a good enough school to go to" - my mom upon hearing i got in
Thanks mom.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth-Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
Niraja, wait until next week, I personally know people that got an invite on the last day and were accepted

Mustafaj, Booth Live is open to everybody. The event lasts a whole day, so if you are interviewing the same day you ought to miss some parts of the event. The normal day visit is campus tour, lunch with students and class visit. It also last most of the day. Each Booth Live has a theme, mine was marketing, so also have a look whether the theme would interest you. At the end of Booth Live you can join current students at LPF (starts at 4:30), which is good to mingle with them.

I am pretty sure that if you tell Admissions that you will be visiting, they will accomodate your interview.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
yesssssss.....

i just got an interview invite!!!. was just lamenting to my wife that 17 feb is just 2 working days away and stil no news. thank god i didn't give up hope totally. and i wasn't expecting to see any mail from adcom on saturday. very happy in deed.

so to anyone out there still waiting, keep hope alive.

for roll call purpose...
submitted - 6 jan (2 hours to deadline)
went complete - 22 jan
invite for interview - 13 feb
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
coakleym wrote:
That's not the scariest part for those of us waiting on invites. The scariest part is that over 50% have already received invites. Even assuming that GMATClub applicants are more likely to get interviews than the general population, we shouldn't be expecting many more to come through. Although, I guess that should have been obvious from the couple of days remaining.

On the other hand, GMATClub apparently managed a freakish 75% interview invite ratio in R2 in each of the last two years, so who knows?

Assuming there are as many lurkers as there are people who want to be added to the roll call page, I can safely say that 10-15% of the R2 applicant pool is on GMATclub.

Do not lose hope. Too many of the applicants received invites in the last 2 days(see R1).
Keep the faith
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 23:11
This post received
KUDOS
I just wanted to let you guys know that we won the MBA Basketball Tournament that had 24 other schools!!!

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
WE 1: Oil and gas

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 01:51
This post received
KUDOS
kwam wrote:
I just wanted to let you guys know that we won the MBA Basketball Tournament that had 24 other schools!!!

Nice job on the basketball kwam!

R2 applicants: yes there is a crap-ton of you guys hanging out on GMAT club and many already have interview invites - maybe more of you proportionally than will be invited in total. But don't worry, because only the most insane, hyper-driven applicants are drawn to gmatclub. Fortunately, this particular brand of psychopath is a stronger b-school applicant, on average, than the norm so you can expect a very high rate of invites for gmatclub posters. So stop worrying and pity those pathetic losers who are too busy having lives to check their inbox every five seconds, because the odds are stacked against them!

Further, there is clear precedent for invites to come out en masse at the very last minute (deadline day, or the day before). Go back and re-read the panic-stricken posts of the R1 applicants just before the deadline if you don't believe me (some of them were from me!)

It was the same story last year too. So relax, the invites are going to come. And enjoy the holiday if you're in the US - it's Monday and you're not at your desk! Put the blackberry DOWN and get a beer. Gouranga!

If I said something intelligent, it was probably by accident. But click "kudos" anyway - it will make me happy.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
Just ran 3 miles on the treadmill to strt my day. I think the exhaustion helps with the fretting about invites. Still waiting for on though. Good luck to all and go run your stress away!

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
Well that took awhile....Received my interview invite this morning.

Submitted: 1/6
Complete: 1/27 (I believe the last day before you were to call to confirm all materials were received)
Interview: 2/15

I am doing an on-campus interview and as others have said, the only day available is Saturday, Feb 27th.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
I just received an invite to interview! I'm very happy to know my profile is competitive enough to get me this far, had almost given up hope.

But I was unable to find any interviewer in my area, in my whole country even. Could anyone tell me what happens in a case like mine?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 07:16
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an interview invite...was starting to sweat a little!

For all those assuming a correlation between complete date and invite status, don't! My app went complete way back on Jan 14. Feels like a lot more than a month ago...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
levfin2003 wrote:
Good luck to all!! I'll be too heartbroken to post the result I'm anticipating to get tomorrow.

I am expecting the worst too but for some reason, I've prepared my mind to face the music. It'z only a few hours before 9.30 AM CST tomorrow. Bring it on Booth!

Leadership is not really about telling people what to do — a strategy that doesn't always work. It's about creating an environment where people can speak up, where we can get into debates without becoming confrontational or negative. [It's] about getting people to bring all of themselves to the table." - DuPont CEO Ellen Kullman; Kellogg '83

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
If we don't get in, we can always go to the P-Diddy School of Business...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
MY APP GOT DING DONG DITCHED.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
It's a really sad day on here today. I am so sorry to hear about the dings. Good luck with the rest of your apps. A ding from Chicago is just a tiny blip in the grand scheme of things.

For a bit of perspective, here's a story: a 28-yr old acqaintance died of cancer two weeks ago and I am sure he would have gladly traded a ding from Chicago for that.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 19

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
I've certainly had my share of dings w/o interview (first 3 schools I ever applied to). It sucks, but it does not in any way mean that you were not qualified. If you're going to apply to more schools in the future, think about how you can continue to improve your messaging. My class of 2011 Sloan R2 application was horrible (really, really horrible) in comparison to my 2012 R1 H/W applications which were in turn horrible in comparison to my 2012 R2 applications. Good luck to everyone on the rest of their apps and in the future.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
ding here too. Not sure how else I could have improved my app. Would love to sit down with the "3 review members" and see what is running in their minds while reading my app. Wouldn't everyone love to do that? :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (Accepted + $), Tuck (Accepted), Wharton (WL), Haas (WL), Ross (Accepted), Yale (Accepted), Anderson (Accepted + $$$)
WE 1: 4.5 yrs management consulting at Top-tier firm and then at a life sciences boutique

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
Got dinged by Chicago ... surprising considering I got interview invites from Wharton, Stanford and LBS ... And my Chicago application was strong and I felt I had a strong candidacy. I just think Chicago talks too much about the transparency of their process, but I don't see it from where I come.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
EBSIFounder wrote:
Got dinged by Chicago ... surprising considering I got interview invites from Wharton, Stanford and LBS ... And my Chicago application was strong and I felt I had a strong candidacy. I just think Chicago talks too much about the transparency of their process, but I don't see it from where I come.

Being transparent on the process doesn't necessary mean that they will let you peep into their black box-type decision-making process. I think that the admissions process at Booth is very professional in the sense that they try to minimize the amount of BS in their communications. For example, if they say "we are going to issue interviews from day x through day Y" that is what you see. Compare that to Stanford where they issue 90% of invites on the first week and keep saying that they will keep inviting people while that is at least inaccurate.

They do a good job of keeping applicants informed on what their steps are. That is really different from other schools. Having a mid decision date really helps in lowering expectations and avoiding false expectations. MIT in contrast released all the dings on a date that was completely unexpected and some people survived the ding/deferral date just to find out, 20 days later that they were deferred after all...
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2010, 12:00