Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:R2: Duke (Admit), Kellogg (Ding), Booth (WL, Admit), UCLA (Admit)
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.16
WE 1: Business Analyst
WE 2: Financial Analyst
WE 3: Senior Financial Analyst
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg, Booth, Columbia
 Q44  V44
WE 1: Consumer research
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg (Admitted), Chicago, LBS
 Q43  V41 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V41
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg, Booth, Columbia
 Q44  V44
WE 1: Consumer research
Send PM
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink]
oh yes, selfish me! Congrats to those who got admitted!! Hopefully i'll be joining you within the next couple of years :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
supersonic wrote:
Is it me, or am I the only one who's starting to think Chicago Booth's waitlist has gotten out of control?

While I understand your frustration, wouldn't you rather still be in the running than just be arbitrarily denied based on some other criteria -- e.g. no one can be on the waitlist more than 3 months? At least this way you still have a chance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
I totally agree with Rhyme!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
supersonic wrote:
Is it me, or am I the only one who's starting to think Chicago Booth's waitlist has gotten out of control? !

I get it supersonic, it is frustrating. If it is true that Booth's waitlist process is longer than others, I think it only makes the process more fair for R1 and R2 applicants. It's impossible to predict the R3 round applications quality and quantity so I guess Booth is doing it correctly by keeping all the R1 & R2 candidates they are interested in for WL instead of just denying them and using R3 as fillers. Also, another reason could be that there is a changing perception about Booth's rankings (some fanboys think it's number 1, most think it's top 5, some thinks its in bottom portion of top 10) and those candidates who decide schools based on rankings may swing unpredictably.
Yesterday, I met quite a few WLers with very impressive credentials that just accepted into Booth, so I am happy that Booth is taking the admission process extremely seriously.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Send PM
passivation wrote:
supersonic wrote:
Is it me, or am I the only one who's starting to think Chicago Booth's waitlist has gotten out of control? !

I get it supersonic, it is frustrating. If it is true that Booth's waitlist process is longer than others, I think it only makes the process more fair for R1 and R2 applicants. It's impossible to predict the R3 round applications quality and quantity so I guess Booth is doing it correctly by keeping all the R1 & R2 candidates they are interested in for WL instead of just denying them and using R3 as fillers. Also, another reason could be that there is a changing perception about Booth's rankings (some fanboys think it's number 1, most think it's top 5, some thinks its in bottom portion of top 10) and those candidates who decide schools based on rankings may swing unpredictably.
Yesterday, I met quite a few WLers with very impressive credentials that just accepted into Booth, so I am happy that Booth is taking the admission process extremely seriously.

Indeed. They do take it very seriously, and they do not like to waste your time unless there's a reason for it.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Kellogg (Ding), Booth (Admit), Wharton (WL)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Management Consulting
WE 2: NGO
Send PM
Just wondering, did all the WLers get either a call or email yesterday from Booth? I am a R2 WL, and I did not get either a phone call or email, does that mean they are probably going to send me the rejection letter?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V40
Send PM
GoalMBA2010 wrote:
Just wondering, did all the WLers get either a call or email yesterday from Booth? I am a R2 WL, and I did not get either a phone call or email, does that mean they are probably going to send me the rejection letter?

R2 waitlist - got a letter, check your waitlist letter online - the wording changed since the last letter
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just checked my status, status changed to admit. But no phone calls or emails, I am calling Booth to confirm this, fingers crossed in the meantime.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
supersonic wrote:
Is it me, or am I the only one who's starting to think Chicago Booth's waitlist has gotten out of control?

While I understand your frustration, wouldn't you rather still be in the running than just be arbitrarily denied based on some other criteria -- e.g. no one can be on the waitlist more than 3 months? At least this way you still have a chance.

Rhyme, I would love to agree with you, but this isn't an issue of just 3 months. This isn't even an issue of just 6 months. The reality is that this "process" can be as long as 9 months or more depending on when you submitted your application and how long Rose, her team and Chicago Booth choose to abuse the waitlist process. It's crazy, but I found a thread from last year where the very first post was from someone waitlisted in R1 who continued to be on the waitlist into the summer (and presumably was rejected since no one came off of the waitlist that year). So no, Rhyme, this has moved beyond just me being frustrated to Rose unnecessarily alienated a large recruiting base and arguably undercuts Chicago Booth's overall reputation.

I get it. Chicago Booth is a difficult place to recruit. It's clearly below H/S, and at best, competitive with W. And no knock to Chicago Booth or its students, but for most applicants Chicago Booth is a hedge against being reject from H/S/W. Add to it it's in the Mid-West and it's obvious Chicago Booth is at a disadvantaged compared to its peers. However, this doesn't mean Rose and her team need to apply unnecessary, and in some cases, unreasonable tactics to recruit students. For instance, I have a friend who works as an admissions officer at a top 3 liberal arts college (read: Amherst, Swarthmore, or Williams), and although the undergraduate level is different from the graduate level, many of the practices remain the same. According to him, one such example is NOT double waitlisting a student. At the undergraduate level, this would be akin to deferring a student during early decision then waitlisting him or her again during the regular season. This does NOT occur at his institution and he's been told by the Dean that it's tacitly understood among all elite college admissions officers that this tactic is both unreasonable and unfair. In light of these expectations and my clear sense of what is reasonable and what is not, Rose continues to undercut Chicago Booth's reputation by abusing the waitlist. Chicago Booth doesn't command a yield comparable to that of the top 3, yet it continues to set deadlines that coincide with the likes of H/S/W. As a result, Chicago Booth unduly forces itself to not only carry a deep waitlist, but also regularly double/triple waitlist students. That's fine if your end goal is to artificially enhance the school's yield, but one needs to understand that this comes at the expense of the school's reputation.

In short, Chicago Booth is unnecessarily monkey-barring each and every one of its waitlist students not for the better good of the school, but because of a lack of institutional control, lack of foresight, and lack of leadership to compete in this difficult space. By failing to adequately address these challenges and instead, choosing to abuse the use of the waitlist, Rose unduly alienates its prospective students.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
GoalMBA2010 wrote:
Just got the email today at 4:30 CT. I am admitted! I was a R2 WLer. I know this is tough, but don't lose hope guys!

Congrats! I'm continuing to keep my fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations to all those who have been accepted today or yesterday out of the watilist. Can you guys tell us what steps you have taken after you got waitlisted. I have already written an update essay to the school, but couldnt manage to get any recommendation letter from an alumni. Wondering if you have any suggestion?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lionvish wrote:
Congratulations to all those who have been accepted today or yesterday out of the watilist. Can you guys tell us what steps you have taken after you got waitlisted. I have already written an update essay to the school, but couldnt manage to get any recommendation letter from an alumni. Wondering if you have any suggestion?

I did submit an additional recommendation from a alumni, since I work in MC, it's not hard to find someone who went to Booth. If you really can't find a alumni, I have heard of people asking current Booth students to write them a recommendation letter as well. Perhaps you have a friend or met someone there during campus visits?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will reach out to the students i met during my visit and see if they are willing to write somethign for me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Quote:
Well, doesn't that make sense? If they set their deadline prior to H/S/W, they risk having a number of people capitulate (at least for H/S), if they set it to after H/S/W they are simply taking themselves out of the running for those candidates outright. While I agree that people will choose H/S over C nine times out of ten, Wharton is less clear cut I think. Finally, if you want to be a peer school to the top programs you can't simply "work around" their schedules, giving them "first dibs". You have to compete head on.

Also, and im asking seriously to anyone who knows, is Booth really the only school that does this?

Was that a jab at Columbia? :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know which day classes start this year?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
grad7855 wrote:
Does anyone know which day classes start this year?

7th Sept for LEAD and 23rd for Booth classes I think.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
lionvish wrote:

I actually didn't send in any additional materials. I was planned on doing so early June (work was too busy beforehand), especially because I was positive I wouldn't hear back on May 26th since I was a R3 waitlister. That's great that you sent an update essay - I don't think another letter will hurt, but I don't think it'll make or break your case. I wish you the best of luck, Lionvish!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  129   130   131   132   133   134   135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts