Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 21:46
HBS2011 wrote:
walker wrote:
triple5soul wrote:
I have yet to really think about themes and my "story" but creating a slide presentation (with text, images) does not seem easy...

Adcom uses a few presentations for admit weekends showing them in slide shows. What that means? People have only ~10 sec to understand what are you going to say. So, I would recommend to use more visual information and clear ideas.

Im in for booth as well. Slides are much easier than essays conceptually yet its pretty hard to do in reality as I keep making changes

Nice, making powerpoint slides already.
Way to go, man!
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 05:25
What exactly do people try to convey in their PowerPoints? I guess I'm confused, is it supposed to tell them who we are from a family, intersts, and "softer" side or should it document our leadership ability? Are the visual images used pictures of yourself, or pictures used to represent the ideas presented?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 06:35
ACNguy wrote:
What exactly do people try to convey in their PowerPoints? I guess I'm confused, is it supposed to tell them who we are from a family, intersts, and "softer" side or should it document our leadership ability? Are the visual images used pictures of yourself, or pictures used to represent the ideas presented?

1) Whatever you didn't mention in your essays, show it on your powerpoint, but don't repeat stuff from your essays.

2) Basically, think of it as if you are decoding your own DNA. What makes you…..yourself? What got you to where you are? Where do you plan on going? Just be little creative and avoid putting on racy stuff on your powerpoint slides.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 17:22
In for R1.

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 11:37
Will apply to Chicago in Round 2 (unless MIT, Stan , Harvard or Wharton show me love and make it a merrier christmas). :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 06:57
Maybe I can reverse-jinx myself, since I am still on the summer waitlist for 2009, but barring miraculous good news I will be a re-applicant for R1.

My challenges will be
1) Forcing myself to take the GMAT again
2) Avoiding too much overlap in the letters of Rec and PPT

I have to assume they think I'm a good fit, I'm just not sure what I'm missing (besides a bad quant score on GMAT and a brutal admissions year) that kept me out. I'd like to take the approach with the essays to clarify goals and share my philosophy on management and finance, but not sure if this is too heady.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 07:14
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:

I would think this is a good thing. If your letters of Rec match your own discription of yourself, it probably shows that you understand yourself very well.

BTW Goodluck!! there's always hope!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 07:23
GoBruins wrote:
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:

I would think this is a good thing. If your letters of Rec match your own discription of yourself, it probably shows that you understand yourself very well.

BTW Goodluck!! there's always hope!

I mean overlap from the prior year's application. I've had a number of new and challenging professional experiences, but with the same people I used for recs last year, so I don't know how much else they will have to add that they didn't say last year.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 17:07
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 06:26
Off to Italy today for 25 days - will have limited access while I'm there, most likely PMs replied to when I return.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 07:18
rhyme wrote:
Off to Italy today for 25 days - will have limited access while I'm there, most likely PMs replied to when I return.

have fun rhyme!!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Wharton, Columbia, Kelley

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 16:47
Anyone know of any formal or informal summer events? I live in Chicago and would love to meet up with some current Booth students and learn more about day-to-day life at the school (and maybe enjoy some cold refreshments). Any thoughts? Did I miss the post where someone is already talking about this?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 17:22
Here's the page from the Booth website: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admissions/events/northamerica.aspx

Looks like the dates for the summer events aren't up, but I'd keep checking. I think last year, I found out in early July about the summer events. I ended up attending a student-hosted event in end of July/early August.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 17:47
did you feel the student hosted events were sufficient to get a feel for the school? or did visiting the campus bring another perspective?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 07:09
unhedged wrote:
did you feel the student hosted events were sufficient to get a feel for the school? or did visiting the campus bring another perspective?

I thought they were sufficient. To me, facilities/location didn't matter that much. And all the top schools have great professors, so that was the same everywhere. So it was more important to meet my future classmates, and see what they were like, and hear their perspectives.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 17:29
Essays and Deadlines for Booth 2010. I can edit the first post to add this in if desired, but I wasn't sure what the proper etiquette is for editing other people's posts.

2010 Application Essay Questions
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admissions/essays_slides.aspx

Essays
1. How did you choose your most recent job/internship and how did this experience influence your future goals? What about the Chicago Booth MBA makes you feel it is the next best step in your career at this time? (750-1000 words)

1a. FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: Upon reflection, how has your thinking regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since
the time of your last application? (250 words)

2. Please choose one of the following (500 - 750 words):
Describe a time when you wish you could have retracted something you said or did. When did you realize your mistake and how did you handle the situation?
-or-
Describe a time when you were surprised by feedback that you received. What was the feedback and why were you surprised?

Slide Presentation
We have asked for a great deal of information throughout this application and now invite you to tell us about yourself. In four slides or less please answer the following question: What have you not already shared in your application that you would like your future classmates to know about you?

We have set forth the following guidelines for you to consider when creating your presentation.
* The content is completely up to you. There is no right or wrong approach to this essay.
* Feel free to use the software you are most comfortable with. Acceptable formats for upload in the online application system are PowerPoint or PDF.
* There is a strict maximum of 4 slides, though you can provide fewer than 4 if you choose.
* Slides will be printed and added to your file for review, therefore, flash, hyperlinks, embedded videos, music, etc. will not be viewed by the committee. You are limited to text and static images to convey your points. Color may be used.
* Slides will be evaluated on the quality of content and ability to convey your ideas, not on technical expertise or presentation.
* You are welcome to attach a document containing notes if you feel a deeper explanation of your slides is necessary. However the hope is the slide is able to stand alone and convey your ideas clearly. You will not be penalized for adding notes but you should not construct a slide with the intention of using the notes section as a consistent means of explanation.

Optional Essay
If there is any important information that is relevant for your candidacy that you were unable to address elsewhere in the application, please share that information here.

2010 Deadlines
Round 1
Deadline: October 14, 2009
Mid-Decision Date: November 11, 2009
Decision date: December 22, 2009

Round 2
Deadline: January 6, 2010
Mid-Decision Date: February 17, 2010
Decision date: March 24, 2010

Round 3
Deadline: March 10, 2010
Mid-Decision Date: April 21, 2010
Decision date: May 12, 2010
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Wharton, Columbia, Kelley

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 07:50
Wow, I didn't expect them to be released this early. I'm going to continue to focus on Kellogg and Wharton in the near term, because I think I use some of the content from those essays on Booth's. These don't seem too bad, though. Good luck everyone.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
Once again booth provides that killer 2nd question.

As for the powerpoint.......try to show your uniqueness here. The powerpoint (IMO) is the tiebreaker between 2 otherwise equal apps. What are your hobbies? Interests? What is your life story? This is not the place for bland professional accomplishments.

Choose a theme for your slides.......past , present , future?.... Goals 1, 2 ,3 4 ..... or use different types of animals and use that as a starting point to describe you...... Bird - talk about your love of flying planes etc ......... cheetah, youre a big nascar fan and have been to the indy 500 every year over the past 5 years.

They are looking for interesting unique traits that make you stand out. Do not repeat your resume here.

Good luck and hope to see you guys next fall
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 11:46
isa wrote:
unhedged wrote:

I thought they were sufficient. To me, facilities/location didn't matter that much. And all the top schools have great professors, so that was the same everywhere. So it was more important to meet my future classmates, and see what they were like, and hear their perspectives.

I think I learned the most information from the student hosted events as well.

However , visiting campus showed me how beautiful the booth facilities are and how organized the booth administration which is a plus.

Isa is just saying the facilities don't matter much because she's going to kellogg right?? :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 05:23
I plan to apply R2!
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2009, 05:23