Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1855 [1] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2009, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Good luck, guys!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling Chicago Booth Applicants for 2010 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
Got this email from Manhattan GMAT......(they keep spamming me w emails even after I am long done with their courses... :? )

MBAMission - Interview w Booth School of Business Adcom (Rose Martinelli:) - PART I

Admissions Interview: Chicago Booth

mbaMission: Chicago-Booth is stereotyped as a finance school, is that fair? What should the school be known for that it’s not now known for?

Rose Martinelli: Chicago Booth is much more than a finance school, it is an economic powerhouse, and critical thinking is at the core of everything we do. Economics underpins most business functions, including finance, strategy, marketing, and entrepreneurship. While we have been known globally as a great financial institution because of the number of faculty who were awarded Nobel prizes for their innovations in the financial markets, Booth offers so much more.

Our entrepreneurship program, which has the Polsky Center at its foundation, is excellent and unique in its focus on both the practitioner and the investor side. The curriculum combines academic and experiential learning together to enhance the learning experience. Marketing is another area where we have been recognized for the work of our faculty in quantitative and behavioral marketing research. We recently received the AC Nielsen database which will allow for tremendous insight into consumer behavior. For students interested in pursuing a career in marketing, our combination of analytical and behavioral marketing coursework provides unparalleled preparation for future challenges.

Booth’s new concentration, Analytic Management, provides the same type of rigor and depth focused on data-driven analysis as our analytic finance concentration.. Our emphasis on and excellence in quantitative and statistical analysis for decision making is unmatched. These analytic methods are applied to a wide range of industries and functions such as understanding advertising and consumer behavior; analyzing risk and incorporating uncertainty; identifying profitable customers and determining optimal pricing policies; accelerating product innovation; optimizing supply chains; identifying the drivers of financial performance; and allocating resources.

Our focus is on building critical thinking skills that utilize the many lenses of business. We’re great on teaching technical skills, and making sure those technical skills are applicable and practical. At the same time, we’re equally focused on helping students to develop their executive presence and leadership profile. It’s a packaged deal.

mbaMission: You mentioned marketing and entrepreneurship. Is there a strategy to grow these fields or do these things just happen organically?

RM: I think it’s been a combination of both. Typically programs grow when student interest grows. It also grows when there’s faculty interest, and there is a lot of research going on. Over the past 10 years there has been a huge amount of growth in entrepreneurship due to those dual interests.

Whereas the marketing group has always been a smaller group, but has gained enormous amounts of energy and prestige in the last 5 years with the launch of the Kilts Center -- with a lot more groundbreaking research taking place behavioral and analytical marketing.

The growth of our programs has always been linked to student and faculty research interests. Once there is enough of a groundswell, the administration also provides additional resources to strengthen those areas, and that’s what’s been happening here at Chicago Booth.

mbaMission: Chicago Booth was fortunate to receive quite an impressive donation of $200 million from David Booth, who the school is now named for. I’m curious what the immediate impact of the gift is?

RM: This remarkable gift came at the right time, just as the market began to tumble, which helped us remain shielded from some of those enormous pressures that occur when endowments fall. This gift has given us an opportunity to focus on strengthening the core values of Chicago, which is truly the power of inquiry. Instead of these dollars being put into scholarship funds, they’re being put into strengthening the overall value proposition of the school to ensure that we have the best faculty, we recruit and matriculate the best students, and that those students find great opportunities facilitated by the support of our career services. It’s more about strengthening what was already strong, and ensuring that the Booth legacy continues long into the future.

The other interesting thing about the donation was that it was a partnership distribution, rather than a lump sum gift. Therefore as a partner in the fund we’ll receive annual distributions.

mbaMission: A couple questions about the financial crisis. I’m curious from an academic perspective, how lessons from the financial crises have been taught over the last couple months.

RM: Chicago is well known for our notion of “challenging everything” and to every idea there’s always a counter approach. There are free market and behavioral finance faculty researching and teaching side-by-side, so, we were talking a lot about this long before the markets started to spiral downward. Now, the conversations have shifted to identifying solutions. Our faculty have been very active with the administration on both sides analyzing and doing research on how best to structure a way out of this situation. I graduated from my executive MBA just a few weeks ago, and the classroom had ongoing discussions about what was happening in the news. Faculty were not only debating these ideas publicly on campus, but bringing it into the classroom as well.

mbaMission: In the light of the downturn will there be any changes in the qualities the school is seeking in candidates?

RM: No. We are focused on selecting students who have records of achievement. And to me that can be seen in a number of ways: how well someone has done academically, how well he/she has navigated their career and leveraged opportunities. The second thing that we look at is a student’s level of self-awareness and their ability to engage and be intellectually involved in something that’s perhaps not so comfortable. Being able to get in there and debate, challenge each other, and be challenged are very central qualities to good leadership. While it is important to communicate ideas effectively, it’s more about what have they done, where are they going, and how this is all linked together, rather than elegant/eloquent writing skills. It can be short and sweet and very direct. When you know yourself well, you should know exactly what direction you are headed and what you need to be successful.

mbaMission: Chicago’s first essay is a little bit less direct compared to other schools with respect to short and long-term goals. What are you expecting in this regard?

RM: For me, the question as to why an MBA is important is much more relevant than exactly where you’re going since goals change. The thought process that brought you to this place in your career is what interests me. I’m looking for a sense of direction and knowing what your needs are. If you have very refined goals I would say that’s great. But for the vast majority of people, if you really pressed them, goals were often created recently and typically just for the application. And, since the whole point of an MBA experience is to explore, expand and develop a new understanding and awareness of one’s abilities and passions, I don’t get hung up on goals. I am, however, very interested in path, plan, and knowing one’s self.

mbaMission:
When you make decisions, do you frequently consult career services?

RM: This is an academic institution, so we’re here to educate. And we’re here to facilitate development of future leaders who can be successful in their job search. So, one of the things that we need to establish is whether a person is reasonable in terms of where they hope to go and how much we as an institution can help them along the way. Sometimes we can’t, and there are other schools that are a better fit. So, yes, if I have concerns about path, I’ll run it by our career services team.

Tune in next week for the second half of mbaMission's interview with Rose Martinelli of the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 12

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
Once again booth provides that killer 2nd question.

As for the powerpoint.......try to show your uniqueness here. The powerpoint (IMO) is the tiebreaker between 2 otherwise equal apps. What are your hobbies? Interests? What is your life story? This is not the place for bland professional accomplishments.

Choose a theme for your slides.......past , present , future?.... Goals 1, 2 ,3 4 ..... or use different types of animals and use that as a starting point to describe you...... Bird - talk about your love of flying planes etc ......... cheetah, youre a big nascar fan and have been to the indy 500 every year over the past 5 years.

They are looking for interesting unique traits that make you stand out. Do not repeat your resume here.

Good luck and hope to see you guys next fall
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 11

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
Looks like the official application form is now available:

http://www.chicagobooth.edu/apply/index.aspx
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 25

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
Rose Martinelli shares some insight on writting Booth essay:

http://www.chicagobooth.edu/gsbconnect/ ... goryID=81#
Quote:
1) How did you choose your most recent job/internship and how did this experience influence your future goals? What about the Chicago Booth MBA makes you feel it is the next best step in your career at this time? (750-1000 words)

This essay requires you to know the basics of your personal career path inside and out. How have your decisions made you ready to apply to an MBA program? While we understand that not everyone will be crystal clear in their future plans, you should be prepared to discuss your goals and how they relate to obtaining the degree.

Re-applicants have an extra question to answer: Upon reflection, how has your thinking regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since the time of your last application? (250 words)

This question is designed to give our re-applicants a place to tell us what, if anything, has changed since the time of your last application. What has happened in your life or career that has made your goals change or remain steady? What actions have you taken or lessons have you learned in this past year?

2) Describe a time when you wish you could have retracted something you said or did. When did you realize your mistake and how did you handle the situation?

or

Describe a time when you were surprised by feedback that you received. What was the feedback and why were you surprised?

This essay is about self awareness. At Booth, you'll constantly be asked to evaluate and re-evaluate your personal development. Both questions give us a sense of your life experiences; specifically, how you handle feedback and how you bounce back in those not so positive situations. What did you learn from the experience and how will it impact your future actions? In order to be powerful, we often find that situational essay questions command authentic stories.

3) In four slides or less please answer the following question: What have you not already shared in your application that you would like your future classmates to know about you?

There has never been a right or wrong way to answer this question. From the very artistic to the bold black and white, it's always been about the content.

Be strategic; take an inventory of what you've shared with us elsewhere in your application. What else would you like the Admissions Committee and your future classmates to know? We encourage you to think less about what the committee wants to hear, and more about how to illustrate those facets of yourself and your personality that make you unique. This is your chance to make sure when each reader closes your application file, they walk away with a sense of who are, what makes you tick and what it might be like to eventually meet you.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 15:10
This post received
KUDOS
bigfernhead wrote:
Is it a good idea to use speech quotes in the powerpoint slide, to enhance your picture for example?

I thought about that last year also, and althought I didn't even get an interview I believe that it is not a good idea to use quotes of other people in your PPT. First, you only get 4 slides to express yourself, using quote is more of an expression of someone else, unless it's a quote about you. Second, it's been done and I think people do it all the time. All the memorable quotes become cliche. Third, it's actually less creative to use someone else's quote then to come up with one you said yourself.

I would favor trying to express yourself using your own words. If you do use a quote, try to make sure there is a strong tie to something about your, or a very strong connection to who you are.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 07:32
This post received
KUDOS
gregarious wrote:
Since we're on the topic of powerpoint, I wanted to get everyone's opinion of something. Do you think that the powerpoint carries the same weight as the two essays? Unlike most of the other schools where I'm writing 3-4 essays, Booth just had the two plus the presentation. I've got my hands full with writing and have a feeling that I'll end up throwing something together for the slides. On the other hand, it doesn't seem worth deferring to Rd 2 just to fine tune, esp. since Booth has pre-Christmas notification for Rd 1. Any thoughts?

My vote is to apply now spending like a day on the powerpoint. I think unless you have something amazing for the powerpoint there is only a marginal benefit that it will be better. I personally don't feel the PPT's mean that much unless it comes off obvious that you didn't put ANY work on it. If you spend a couple hours you can probably get like 40-60% if you spend a day it'll probably be 80-90% quality. I think Essay 1 and 2 (especially 2) is the most important.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [1] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
billyjeans wrote:
I have a question regarding the slide,

In my presentation, I haved used pictures that is not taken by me, but from google. How do I reference the source of those pictures?

I wouldn't worry about that, but if it stresses you out, just put image source: google somewhere on your slide
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
HBS2011 wrote:
With regard to the slide presentation, i wouldnt worry too much about it - its not a decisive factor between getting in or not.

While I'd agree that no part of the application is make or break per se, I wouldn't just summarily dismiss the PPT as some kind of cute experiment the admissions staff started on a lark...

I think its actually a pretty big part of the application, as its really the easiest vehicle for making a lasting impression (as I say, no one ever remembers "that guy who worked for bain" but they do remember "that guy who draws charcoal sketches of people"). Similarly, I've seen some PPTs that displayed some serious judgment issues and I imagine those didn't help candidates out much either (e.g. skip the photo of you doing a keg stand).
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
Maybe the point was to explain low GPA for the first two semester... :idea:

:)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1855 [1] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I talked with 2 year student who helps adcom in reading applications. There are a few issues I would like to point out.

1) Presentational materials are printed in color and attached to the application package.
2) She didn't see any problems with ppt formating. I was first guy who asked her about that.

Good luck everyone!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
billyjeans wrote:
nikheel wrote:
me too

Added to R1 list

Now we are 30 strong and counting!
Gl to everyone.

I'd like to be added to roll call also, sorry for the late join. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
I think Im at the stage where "university of phoenix sounds good right now".

:)

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 15:20
This post received
KUDOS
Looking at last year's thread, a good amount of people got invites just a couple days before the deadline, so it doesn't make sense for me to get anxious after a couple days. But it's easier said than done...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
Is anyone from India able to schedule an interview? I got an interview invite and it just says that candidates wishing to interview in India have to mail at a given id to schedule them.

PS: Please count me in for R1
Brief Profile
Undergrad: IIT Kanpur
Gmat: 770
PE in real estate for around 3 years.
CFA Level 2 pass

thanks and all the best to evryone .
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
sandymba09 wrote:
Is anyone from India able to schedule an interview? I got an interview invite and it just says that candidates wishing to interview in India have to mail at a given id to schedule them.

PS: Please count me in for R1
Brief Profile
Undergrad: IIT Kanpur
Gmat: 770
PE in real estate for around 3 years.
CFA Level 2 pass

thanks and all the best to evryone .

I too have just received interview invite :)
Am going to read the mail in detail now. Am too happy to concentrate rite now.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (Accepted) Booth (WL)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
bobbydigital wrote:
Does anyone know how Chicago goes through applications for interviews. Do they sit around a table and discuss each applicant? does each admissions officer take a stack and decide on who is a yes, maybe, and no - and then discusses the maybes with his superior. Do they review by industry? curious and think this info will help me gauge my chances.

My friend is a second year evaluating the apps. Apparently they have second years read and mark the apps as Yes,No Maybe..and then a adcom does a second read to confirm the evaluation.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Chicago Booth, HBS, Stanford, Ross

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 16:02
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the interview invite this morning.

Submitted: 10/14 (with recommendations)

Complete: 10/16

Invite to interview: 11/03

Good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago R1 (Accepted), HBS R1 (Accepted), Kellogg R1 (Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
Count me in Round 1. 740 GMAT. Corporate background. Top-tier international undergrad.
Got an interview (and had my interview).

For all of you who have not heard, here is something which I was told by an admissions consultant which may help you to understand why you may not have heard:

"The application review process works as follows:

1) Two second-year students read your app and recommend "Interview"/"No Interview"
2) An AdCom member reads your app and recommends "interview"/"No Interview"
3) If there is disagreement, between the two students and the Adcom member, it goes to committee
4) You get/do not get an interview

If there were disagreement (e.g. perhaps you rubbed an AdCom member the wrong way, or a student), your application could be going through a second review. It does not impact your candidacy."

It should be comforting to know that there are checks and balances in place to ensure that if you get dinged, it was because a few people (not just one) felt your candidacy was not as strong as those of other applicants.

On an unrelated note, kudos to Chicago for being transparent. A mid-decision date is a gift to applicants, so at least they have closure. It's not death by 1000 cuts.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS
James got it 98% right

1) Two second-year students read your app and recommend "Interview"/"No Interview" (it used to be one, this may have changed)
2) An AdCom member reads your app and recommends "interview"/"No Interview"
3) If there is disagreement, a third staff member (often, Rose) breaks the "tie"
4) You get/do not get an interview
5) Decisions on admission are then completed in committee (with the exception of a handful of very strong candidates for which there is no debate)

Generally speaking there is one adcom who is your proponent -- it is their job to build a case for your admission at committee, while others ask questions and raise issues.
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2009, 05:30