Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:01
Anyone applying to the MSc in Management-Grande Ecole at HEC paris for 2012 intake?
Please interact!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2012, 21:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I had my interview last week. Drove 6 hours to the city in which it was hosted and two hours later drove back for another 6 hours, all in one day.
Maybe this will help someone else:

Questions I was asked:

-Why HEC/ESCP/Lyon and not the other 2
-Why France?
-How did you end up at your alma mater?
-I see you have so and so listed as your interests, these are quite unique, how did you become interested in these?
-You don't speak French, how will you handle this?
-What kind of a track are you planning on doing?
-Why not a different one (Sports Management) given you background (athlete)?
-What do you want to do with this degree?
-Next couple questions focused on the answer to the last question.

Finally,
-What do you know about French people and France?
-Can you talk about some current events
-In one sentence, tell us why we should put "Excellent" in every category in our evaluation of your candidacy

Overall, there were 3 people present and about 7-8 candidates. The email says it was supposed to be Business Casual, but everybody was Business Formal. My interview was more of an interrogation, but that's because when they asked me what I want to do I screwed up. I knew exactly what I want to do with the degree and what my career plans are but I started overthinking it and for some stupid reason deviated from that and didn't come across as somebody who knows what they are after. Can't do anything about it now and I tried controlling the damage as much as I could, which seemed to work to an extent, generated a few laughs and we moved on. It'll be a miracle if I get admitted to any of these, but overall it was a great learning experience.

Make sure you have your story in and out, know whats going on in the world and be able to express your motivation for attending these schools. Be also prepared to be put on a defending stance and come up with examples relevant to the problems the committee will be trying to throw you off with i.e. "You've never been to France, what can you possibly know about French schools?".

Just answer as diplomatically as possible, throw in some evidence of overcoming similar challenges and express your enthusiasm and you'll be fine.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 10:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone.
I'm currently in my second year studying IT at the University of Pune.
If I have the following profile, would I be a strong candidate for the MSc Grande Ecole course?
1. 62% aggregate (First class) from Uni Pune.
2. 700+ GMAT
3. 4-5 internships, at places like WHO, DSP blackrock, startups in my city
4. CFA Level 1
5. Professional level French (DELF Level 2-3)
6. Summer school at LSE (Grade A)

Would appreciate any help. Thank you!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 08:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
adijo wrote:
Well because HEC Paris is my dream school, and I am really keen to get into the MSc Management Course. Therefore I wanted to make sure that I am a competitive candidate. Any suggestions as to how I can improve my chances?


Yes. Follow your heart and do what you most love to do :) Your profile is already great.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: 750+ or Burst !
Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:09
Do you really want to do a 2 year course?
_________________

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 07:18
In fact its more than 2yrs if u check properly because u hav to count the compulsary internships :(
I am not too keen on such a long course to be honest.But this programme and school have a great reputation.So I wouldnt mind at least applying. I have to choose ONLY if I get an admit which in itself would be an achievement for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: 750+ or Burst !
Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:16
jigjagjai wrote:
In fact its more than 2yrs if u check properly because u hav to count the compulsary internships :(
I am not too keen on such a long course to be honest.But this programme and school have a great reputation.So I wouldnt mind at least applying. I have to choose ONLY if I get an admit which in itself would be an achievement for me.


Hey post few things about your profile?
_________________

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:44
Engineer in Biotech from a good private college in Kolkata. GPA 8.33/10
Currently working with family business.did an internship during 3rd yr.
achievements include successfully organizing and conducting training programmes for Mtech students at a pharmaceutical factory.also giving a presentation about the our pharmaceutical company to new recruits during the annual conference.
done a few presentations in college.
decent extra curricular during skool days.not done mch in college.
not taken the GMAT yet...just started studying for it (some tips would be gr8!)

What about yours?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: 750+ or Burst !
Joined: 01 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 08:46
jigjagjai wrote:
Engineer in Biotech from a good private college in Kolkata. GPA 8.33/10
Currently working with family business.did an internship during 3rd yr.
achievements include successfully organizing and conducting training programmes for Mtech students at a pharmaceutical factory.also giving a presentation about the our pharmaceutical company to new recruits during the annual conference.
done a few presentations in college.
decent extra curricular during skool days.not done mch in college.
not taken the GMAT yet...just started studying for it (some tips would be gr8!)

What about yours?


You dont need my tips...there is a whole website for that :-D :-D

Age - 21
Nationality - Indian
Undergrad - Bachelors in Management Studies from Mumbai University. Graduated with 82% aggregate score - top 1% of class.
Work Experience - 2 internships of 2 months each, at startups.
GMAT - 670 Q48 V35

Others- Ample amount of team work experience.
Core committee member of the organizing committees of 3 different events of my college for 3 successive years.

Many more extra curriculars.
_________________

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 09:47
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
jigjagjai wrote:
Engineer in Biotech from a good private college in Kolkata. GPA 8.33/10
Currently working with family business.did an internship during 3rd yr.
achievements include successfully organizing and conducting training programmes for Mtech students at a pharmaceutical factory.also giving a presentation about the our pharmaceutical company to new recruits during the annual conference.
done a few presentations in college.
decent extra curricular during skool days.not done mch in college.
not taken the GMAT yet...just started studying for it (some tips would be gr8!)

What about yours?


You dont need my tips...there is a whole website for that :-D :-D

Age - 21
Nationality - Indian
Undergrad - Bachelors in Management Studies from Mumbai University. Graduated with 82% aggregate score - top 1% of class.
Work Experience - 2 internships of 2 months each, at startups.
GMAT - 670 Q48 V35

Others- Ample amount of team work experience.
Core committee member of the organizing committees of 3 different events of my college for 3 successive years.

Many more extra curriculars.


haha.i meant something personal by tips! obv there r a plethora of sites out there.but since u hav given the real thing i m sure there is something u hav 2 say abt it,something we wudnt find on any site ;)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 22:40
Hi guys,

What do you guys think of Audencia and Skema business schools which also offer the Grand Ecole Program? How are the career services offices and alumni network in these schools?

Im thinking for applying for the SAI selection procedure, but i have a poor GPA from my UG (6.01/10) :oops: So i guess that automatically disqualifies me from HEC as they have a reputation for admitting only graduates with top grades.

So i guess i'll have better luck applying to Audencia or Skema. What are the average GMAT cut-offs for these schools, and also EmLyon?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 00:05
taralcarin wrote:
Hi guys,

What do you guys think of Audencia and Skema business schools which also offer the Grand Ecole Program? How are the career services offices and alumni network in these schools?

Im thinking for applying for the SAI selection procedure, but i have a poor GPA from my UG (6.01/10) :oops: So i guess that automatically disqualifies me from HEC as they have a reputation for admitting only graduates with top grades.

So i guess i'll have better luck applying to Audencia or Skema. What are the average GMAT cut-offs for these schools, and also EmLyon?


EMLyon still has some sort of a reputation...cant say so abt the other schools

But u shud check out ESSEC...it dosent fall under SAI...but its the 2nd best in france definitly.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2011
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 02:17
jigjagjai wrote:
EMLyon still has some sort of a reputation...cant say so abt the other schools

But u shud check out ESSEC...it dosent fall under SAI...but its the 2nd best in france definitly.


How do you know that these schools dont have any reputation? Have you been there in person, or know form anyone who has been associated with these schools?
I dont mean to sound rude or anything, its just because the FT rankings ranks these schools among the top 20, with close to 95% employability.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 03:17
taralcarin wrote:
jigjagjai wrote:
EMLyon still has some sort of a reputation...cant say so abt the other schools

But u shud check out ESSEC...it dosent fall under SAI...but its the 2nd best in france definitly.


How do you know that these schools dont have any reputation? Have you been there in person, or know form anyone who has been associated with these schools?
I dont mean to sound rude or anything, its just because the FT rankings ranks these schools among the top 20, with close to 95% employability.



I didnt mean that they dont hav ne reputation.All i m saying is that in France, there is a big gap between the top 3 i.e. HEC,ESSEC,ESCP and the rest.Among the others EMLYON is definitly close to the top 3.its all relative wen we are talkin abt how gud a school is.
Also ur obviously talking abt rankings only in terms of of the Masters program.They do not face much of a competition in that respect from american schools.
They may be employing most of their graduates, but wen it comes to a business school, network and brand are equally important.If u do not wish to work outside france they may be a safe bet.It might become slightly risky otherwise.

And yes.I havent been to France or anything :roll: i m in the same boat as you! and i have been researching this issue for more than a month now.So all my knowledge is internet-derived, much like urs i guess :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 16:20
Does anyone know how we find out if we're admissible for the interviews? According to the SAI e-mail, the schools will post the list on their websites, but do we have to check them individually or will we get e-mails too? I heard the decisions for interviews are supposed to be announced in early November?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 22:49
Guys,

Audencia and SKEMA too come under grand ecoles. However,SKEMA is younger. and stil has not received the triple accredition. They are good too.
Now, about reputation... Of course HEC,ESCP,ESSEC are notoriously selective but looking at the french economy- 2nd largest in europe with 35 top notch fortune 500 companies head quarters...3 b-schools just cannot produce enough professionals. And thats when EM Lyon,EDEHC,Audencia,SKEMA,Rouen,ESC Toulouse,Reims comes into picture. They are very good too in terms of their placements and value for money.
We can see the analogy in India. IIMA is the only BSchool to come in international rankings. But this does not mean that IIMB,IIMC,XLRI or IIFT are not good schools. These bschools too have top notch placements. And we are looking at a country with moderate economy with only 7 fortune 500 companies compared to 35 in france.....
And if u look closely at the grand ecole program ie G16 then any bschool that comes in the G6 is a very good school.
I have got feedback from one of my contact who is spending a semester in ESSEC from IIMA. Another guy is doing 1 semester in EDHEC from IIMA. They speak highly of Audencia and SKEMA and EDHEC too.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 09:20
Hey I applied in the Autumn Session and got an interview call for HEC and ESCP. :) Any tips / info??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 03:16
But folks, Do you deem this a good time to apply to Europe especially with Italy on the brink of defaulting??
I would love it if people already there shared their insights on this.

Cheers!
Geetesh
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 00:08
Hi everyone! I got an interview invite to all 5 SAI schools next week in Hong Kong.

Anyone with tips??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 07:11
I got an offer from EDHEC FE track. Any ideas about the programme and the school?
Re: Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE!   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2011, 07:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 HEC Paris Septmenber 2012 Intake flyinghsu88 31 09 Apr 2012, 17:39
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic HEC Paris September2012 Intake mavanyan 9 09 Dec 2011, 06:20
calling 2012 Intake HEC Paris Msc d Financial Economic !! mery 0 05 Dec 2011, 16:34
HEC Paris September 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 3 06 Sep 2011, 03:08
5 HEC Paris Jan 2012 - Intake FergTron 11 06 Dec 2010, 19:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling HEC Paris MSc Management-Grande Ecole 2012 INTAKE!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.