Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Rice - Class of 2013

http://business.rice.edu/default.aspx

Admission Round -> Application Deadline -> Decision Date

1 -> November 8, 2010 -> December 17, 2010
2 -> January 10, 2011 -> February 18, 2011
3 -> February 21, 2011 -> April 1, 2011
4 -> April 4, 2011 -> May 13, 2011
5 -> June 6, 2011 -> July 1, 2011

All applicants must submit 3 required essays. Re-applicants must submit a 4th required essay. All applicants may submit an optional additional essay if they choose. The essay topics are:

1. Describe your short-term and long-term career goals, and how the MBA will help you achieve those goals. Include in your discussion: Why is now the appropriate time to pursue an MBA, and why are you interested in obtaining a Rice MBA? (Maximum 750 words)

2. Describe a time when you successfully transformed an idea into action. How did your leadership and interpersonal skills contribute to this experience, and how will this experience impact your contribution as a team member at the Jones School? (Maximum 750 words)

3. Choose ONE of the following four essay topics (maximum 750 words):
* Describe a defining moment or event that changed your life. Include its impact on you and how it altered your view of the world.
* Describe your perfect day. (Assume you have no restrictions, financial or otherwise.)
* If you were given the superpower of your choice, what would it be and why? How would you use your superpower?
* What historical event would you like to have witnessed or participated in, and why?

4. Required for re-applicants ONLY: Think about the time that has elapsed since you last applied to the Jones School. What actions have you taken to improve your candidacy? (Maximum 750 words)

5. Optional: You may use this essay to discuss anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you, or to provide information or clarification on one or more aspects of your application. (Maximum 750 words)

Admitted & Accepted (w/ scholarship), Admitted (w/o scholarship), Wait-listed, Waiting for Decision

R1
hwc2005 - FT
Stat - FT
darkranger - FT

R2
adishail - FT (interviewed)
ekalil - FT (invited for interview)
adee009 - FT
gilbert7 - FT (invited for interview)
raghavendra256 - FT
rafromero - FT (interviewed)
shmitty9698 - FT (interviewed)
GCM30 - FT (interviewed)
whatwasitodo - FT (interviewed)
acspark - FT (interviewed)

All things are possible to those who believe.

Last edited by adishail on 16 Feb 2011, 06:35, edited 26 times in total.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:40
I;m not applying here, but wanted to see the essays....RICE has the best essays I have ever seen! Superpowers? sweet

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Status: Rice University, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business Class of 2013
Schools: Rice (Jones), Emory (Goizueta), Washington (Olin), Indiana (Kelley)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 14:00
I'm glad to see there is a Rice thread. Now we can stop using the UT thread to post Rice comments. I applied Round 1 and had a great time visiting campus. The facilities are top-notch and the students are high quality. The school has a great reputation with employers in Texas and being there are several inches of snow on the ground where I am right now, Houston sounds pretty appealing at the moment. I have until Friday to respond to my offer so we'll see what happens.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 18:46
First post for me, been lurking around for what feels like forever, definitely a great resource here. Glad to hear people talking about Rice, feels like the program is sometimes overlooked around the forums. I applied full-time in the first round and was accepted with a generous scholarship. I've visited a few times and have had nothing but great experiences, as hwc said, great facilities and it definitely feels close knit. I have to decide by friday as well...
Manager
Manager
Status: Rice University, Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business Class of 2013

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 08:50
I accepted the Rice offer and sent them my deposit this morning. It was a difficult decision but at the end of the day it had the best "fit factor". I am very excited and glad this process is finally over!
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 09:44
I'm not applying to Jones, but I went to Rice as an undergrad and always seek the opportunity express my view on what a great place it is. The academics are absolutely top-notch, the facilities are great and the student body is extremely cohesive. I can't speak directly to the b-school, but if it is anything like the rest of the university you'll have an amazing two years at Jones.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 09:47
hwc2005 wrote:
I accepted the Rice offer and sent them my deposit this morning. It was a difficult decision but at the end of the day it had the best "fit factor". I am very excited and glad this process is finally over!

Congrats! I've been wondering if I should place Rice on my list. I'm thinking about getting into education management, and Rice offers a specific program for that (which I'm not eligible for though), and Houston seems like a great city. Hopefully you'll come back and offer up some insider notes on Jones once you're there!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:33
carriedinterest wrote:
I'm not applying to Jones, but I went to Rice as an undergrad and always seek the opportunity express my view on what a great place it is. The academics are absolutely top-notch, the facilities are great and the student body is extremely cohesive. I can't speak directly to the b-school, but if it is anything like the rest of the university you'll have an amazing two years at Jones.

Yeah, I had an amazing time when I visited and was very impressed with every aspect of the school. Everyone was extremely friendly. Just around campus, I would walk past students (probably undergrads) on the sidewalk and they would just randomly say hello. It was a type of friendliness I have never experienced before. Hopefully I enjoy my time at Rice as much as you did.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck(WL), Cornell, Ross(Dinged), UCLA(Dinged), UNC(Accepted w/$$$), Tulane(Accepted w/$$$)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 21:15
For the guys who were accepted in R1:

In first place, congratulations!

I applied for R2 and I have some questions:

When did they invite you for interview? How many days after app deadline?

How and where was the interview?

Did you hear your acceptance only on the deadline? If not, how many days before it? By phone, email or application site status?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 10:23
ekalil wrote:

Did you hear your acceptance only on the deadline? If not, how many days before it? By phone, email or application site status?

Thanks!

Thanks for the congrats. I'll go ahead and answer your questions.

I was invited for my interview the day after the Round 1 deadline.

My interview was on the Rice campus. It was pretty standard. Why MBA? Why Rice? Career goals? Team-oriented experiences? It was pretty casual and conversational in nature.

I received my acceptance the day before the actual "decision release date" and received a phone call and an email. The website also has a link to your admissions decision but it took a couple of days for that to post.

I hope this answered your questions.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 10:46
Did anyone else accept their Rice offer? I know I'm not the only one...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 10:49
hwc2005 wrote:

I believe Stat has an offer from Rice.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 10:53
With rolling admissions, the deadline for a particular round is not important. How long did it take to get an interview call after submitting the app ?

The round are just meant to have a system in place. It is not like other schools where they will not review the app until the deadline for the round.

hwc2005 wrote:
ekalil wrote:

Thanks!

My interview was on the Rice campus. It was pretty standard. Why MBA? Why Rice? Career goals? Team-oriented experiences? It was pretty casual and conversational in nature.

I received my acceptance the day before the actual "decision release date" and received a phone call and an email. The website also has a link to your admissions decision but it took a couple of days for that to post.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 11:04
adishail wrote:
With rolling admissions, the deadline for a particular round is not important. How long did it take to get an interview call after submitting the app ?

The round are just meant to have a system in place. It is not like other schools where they will not review the app until the deadline for the round.

hwc2005 wrote:
ekalil wrote:

Thanks!

I received my interview call on November 9 and submitted my application on October 20. The website says that if you submit your application before the deadline they address them on a rolling basis. However, being the Round 1 deadline was November 8 I guess I didn't receive that treatment.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 11:07
adishail wrote:
hwc2005 wrote:

I also saw some people on the UT forum with Rice offers a while back. However, since this forum is relatively new they might not be aware of it.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 08:35
adishail wrote:
hwc2005 wrote:

Yes, I did received an offer, which I accepted last week. I'll echo hwc, it is certainly great to be finished with the application process. I've been in houston this weekend getting a feel for the city and buying some owl gear, definitely excited about moving down.

For those who are curious, I applied October 26, interview invite 11/8, interviewed on campus 11/19 and final decision was a phone call two days before the deadline.

The interview was actually a lot of fun for me, real conversational with a second year student. Basic questions, why MBA, why rice, leadership, teamwork. I found the experience to be very pleasant. I saw in a chat session once that rice interviews a big majority of applicants, so I think most people who apply will get an invite, but I may be mistaken.

Hope to see some of you guys in the fall.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck(WL), Cornell, Ross(Dinged), UCLA(Dinged), UNC(Accepted w/$$$), Tulane(Accepted w/$$$)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 08:40
Stat wrote:
adishail wrote:
hwc2005 wrote:

Yes, I did received an offer, which I accepted last week. I'll echo hwc, it is certainly great to be finished with the application process. I've been in houston this weekend getting a feel for the city and buying some owl gear, definitely excited about moving down.

For those who are curious, I applied October 26, interview invite 11/8, interviewed on campus 11/19 and final decision was a phone call two days before the deadline.

The interview was actually a lot of fun for me, real conversational with a second year student. Basic questions, why MBA, why rice, leadership, teamwork. I found the experience to be very pleasant. I saw in a chat session once that rice interviews a big majority of applicants, so I think most people who apply will get an invite, but I may be mistaken.

Hope to see some of you guys in the fall.

Congrats Stat!

Did they offer you some scholarship?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 09:14
ekalil wrote:

Congrats Stat!

Thanks for the congratulations ekalil, much appreciated! Rice did offer me a good amount of scholarship and it was definitely a deciding factor. I love Houston and Rice really seems like a great fit for me. If you got on the WL at Tuck I'd bet you stand a good chance at scholarship from Rice, I know they can pretty generous, especially in the early rounds.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 11:01
Stat wrote:
ekalil wrote:

Congrats Stat!

Thanks for the congratulations ekalil, much appreciated! Rice did offer me a good amount of scholarship and it was definitely a deciding factor. I love Houston and Rice really seems like a great fit for me. If you got on the WL at Tuck I'd bet you stand a good chance at scholarship from Rice, I know they can pretty generous, especially in the early rounds.

That's great news, Stat! It looks like we're classmates.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 05:59
Hi guys i submitted my application on dec 1st gave my interview on dec 20th ... i am still waiting on the results?? On rolling basis admissions how lng do they take??
Re: Calling Jones Business School (Rice) Applicants - Fall 2011   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2011, 05:59